Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scottish independence

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is Scottish common law the same as English common law?

I thought there was significant differences between the two legal systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Let's be honest Sunak blocked this for one reason and one reason only and thats to virtue signal.

He is gonna look tough on the "woke" and those uppity Scots because his ideologically bankrupt government have nothing else left.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Indeed, Sunak is appeasing the Daily Mail wing of his party with this but it might be short-sighted or just something he has to do against better judgement to silence the headbangers,

I don't think the SNP will be too upset with the optics of having Westminster veto Scottish laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It was very much expected as the concerns about affecting reserved powers was well publicised. The disappointing thing for me is the the Scottish govt did not even bother to legislate for an independence referendum but chose the trans issue as the battle. Most people have no visibility as to why this bill was the most important thing in Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It wasn't the most important thing. It was a tiny little thing that grew in opposition. It's a nothing issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It might be a small issue but the particulars of what issue finally caused this (Uk gov blocking legislation) to happen do matter. Polls show that the trans bill is not very popular even in Scotland.

I don't see the UK governments actions causing many to rush back to supporting the Union, but at the same time I don't think this will cause as big an uproar in Scotland as some are expecting because for a lot of people the central cause (the trans bill) just isn't something they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Whether people support the bill or not, people will likely fall into 2 camps 1) isn't it great we've someone protecting us from our domestic legislature going nuts or 2) how dare someone else tell us what to do.

Content of the cause becomes irrelevant as the fight is now framed differently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Exactly. I've no doubt the bill had marginal support in the first instance, but by and large Scots may find it either a useful instance of London acting as a legislative backstop ... or yet another example of London interfering with Holyrood's ability to govern.

I've no idea how Sunak is seen North of the Border, and I presume he's no less loved than Johnson ever was, but he'd want to tread carefully all the same. He's probably lucky that the Scots probably won't protest en masse over this ... but if it shifted the needle another 0.5% or 1% towards pro-independence? This is how you wake up one day and 2/3s want out of the union.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A small creep up in support in this poll, equating to 54% support for Independence when excluding the Don't Knows.

So no major swing, and with those Don't Knows shrinking you'd wonder how or if one persuades the No's to shift vote (or indeed vice versa).

Two polls came out on the same day with inverse results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Comparing two different polls doesn't really work, because of different methodologies applied. One looks at the trends within a poll over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

While Scotland did vote to remain in the EU, the Scots are wrong if they think this is grounds for another Scottish independence referendum.

Because NI also voted to remain in the EU, and Westminster know that it would be the chink in the armor SF are waiting for, and will keep that door well and truly shut..

Scotland had its chance and they passed,, Now they need to move on. Plus the EU do not want a hard border with England, and so might never let an independent Scotland join.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Scots elected a Holyrood parliament that has a majority of pro-independence representatives, so it doesn't look like they are ready to move on. Are you seriously suggesting if the support for independence keeps rising, they have to remain stuck in a union that they don't consent to being in? It's not tenable in the long-term.

The point about the EU is pure speculation. If a way can be found to keep the British border in Ireland open, then the British border in Britain should be workable.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Keir Starmer has stated he believes that 16 (previously 18) is too young to attain a gender recognition cert. That's one aspect of the bill.

Is he virtue signalling and appeasing the Daily Mail readership as well?

The bill has been very contentious with one SNP minister resigning over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ireland, the original breakaway from the empire, went for independence based on the majority of elected MPs in Ireland representing the views of the people.

and Scottish unionists previously stated that would be sufficient grounds. When those grounds were met, they moved the goalposts and moved them again when the grounds were met again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It comes as no surprise to me anyway that the gender debate is having an adverse effect on the popularity of independence and the SNP.

It's very much the opposite of what some people here expected when Westminster decided to envoke Section 35.

Support for independence down to 47%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Not everyone who disagree with Sturgeon on her gender crusade is a "Daily Mail" reactionary. e.g. Alex Salmond.

Nicola Sturgeon’s gender ‘nonsense’ has set Scottish independence back years, says Alex Salmond (msn.com)

I think the Isla Bryson case has given more people the courage to speak out,

Nicola Sturgeon: Rapist Isla Bryson 'almost certainly' faking trans status - BBC News

Which leads to another question, maybe one for the IMHO forum, does declaring your gender give full recognition of this? Unless Nicola Sturgeon thinks your faking it?

Sturgeon is toast... she has enabled the SNP to be full of self ID zealots whilst ignoring independence. A lot of genuine independence supporters have been duped

Salmond's popularity ratings make Sturgeon seem like Billy Connolly. No surprise that he's using this issue as a point of attack since he's got little else. Worth pointing out too that we've had the Scottish gender law in this country for years and society hasn't collapsed. Almost as if it's a concocted culture war on the part of desperate unionists...

I've yet to hear a compelling alternative put forward by the Sturgeon critics for what the strategy ought to be to achieve independence, and certainly nothing that would garner 50+% of the population.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The EU has lots of hard borders. Including the one in Gibraltar that's managed jointly by Spain.

It's been done to death but if push came to shove the England-Scotland border is better geographically defined and has fewer crossing so it's more like the EU's other hard borders than in NI.

NI is a special case since most people are de facto EU citizens.

Besides Scotland would be a good fit for EFTA membership. If they could grandfather the Common Travel Area in as a mini-Schengen, there wouldn't be much/ need for a hard border. They could continue to peg to sterling, might be cheaper as they wouldn't need to hold 100% reserves like they do today.

https://www.efta.int/About-EFTA/Frequently-asked-questions-EFTA-EEA-EFTA-membership-and-Brexit-328676 - just change the bits that say UK with Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nicola Sturgeon resigns, in breaking news.

Nicola Sturgeon to resign as Scotland's first minister - BBC News

Very saddened to hear this. The level of criticism she was getting of late was immense and I imagine that takes a big toll. I think her loss will be felt massively. She had the personal touch, and is far better known than any of the potential SNP successors. She steered Scotland well through the Covid crisis. Must be a real chance now that the party descends into in-fighting given the amount of bickering the last few months, and with upcoming plans to set out the independence strategy that could prove divisive.

Feels like a great day for the unionists. They're gleeful all over social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Fantastic news. Sturgeon is a dangerous ideologue.

Good riddance to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What a hill to end up dying on. To take on the UK government over a marginal issue and legislative change that had little support at home was stupidity in the extreme.

That foray into identity politics may have set independence back years. If you're going to take a stand on something in the knowledge that you'll fail, you ought to be sure your supporters are behind you.

She was an able politician but was an odd and ultimately politically fatal misstep to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Probably the right time. 8 years is a long time to be in charge and Scotland is no closer to independence. Not many leaders get to leave graciously so I think it is the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Bit of a shock. I know she got terrible abuse online and the right wing press hated her. Right now the Daily Mail are covering the story by picturing her and that controversial prisoner side by side on their front page.

One last kick on the way out basically. I'd expect nothing more from those vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Right now the Daily Mail are covering the story by picturing her and that controversial prisoner side by side on their front page.

But that's why she is resigning.

She made a utter mess of the whole gender recognition bill and the fallout of the prison debacle.

Why wouldn't they go hand in hand.

I think this might be the larger issue here: when she took the job the movement felt energised and it seemed like Sturgeon was the right person to take the ball and run all the way to the touchline. Alex Salmond had his time, but here was a younger head to get the job done.

Independence has kinda stalled and she seems a bit bereft of ideas; the Trans Issue, whilst one I support in a broad sense to be clear, was the wrong item to pin to Westminster as proof Scottish interests were being stymied. It needed to be something shocking, something tangible that effected ordinary Scots (and with the best will in the world, while Trans people are being embraced more by communities, they remain a niche demographic at best).

Of course, being as it was something relating to the kind of Red Meat the right-wing cohoorts love to print outrage and paranoia over, they're only going to peddle this narrative that Sturgeon was rejected by all those "anti-woke" ... when I think reality was something more nuanced, more related to the broader cause. Even before the Trans bill, it was obvious the right-wing press hated Sturgeon and delighted in pulling her down (as often they do with female leaders).

Where to now for Independence? The SNP are going to need to think very hard on what's next. Obviously their reason d'etre is to gain an Independent Scotland but maybe, just maybe, they need to dial back the rhetoric & narrative that a 2nd Ref. is needed now. That they instead continue to prove they can lead Scotland better than Tory or London government ever can, and independence might happen without their direct intervention.

It's obvious the issue isn't going away with the Yes vote still hovering around the 50-55% mark - but the brain trust needs to get together and figure out how you get that into the mid-60s for a 2nd Ref. to become a necessity again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont see it ever happening. The Scots dont seem angry enough or confident enough to break away but if SNP are not constantly agitating for it they have no alternative strong ideological position. Sturgeon has left her party and country in quite good nick so has be one of the most successful politicians in the uk for quite a long time

Advertisement