Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading the Rock and his team released fake numbers to Deadline to make it look like Black Adam made a profit when infact it didn't and he has now unfollowed DC, Black Adam, Warner Bros & Discovery on all his social media.

Cavill & Gadot's cameos in The Flash have now been cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

He's come out and said he never followed the Insta accounts.

The numbers story in Deadline was such an obvious and pathetic plant by his PR team and this whole charade has really made the Rock look so thin skinned and egotistical tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Perfect persona for a transition to politics. 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zing.

I had seen Rock's own social media videos blathering, trying to rationalise Black Adam as a technical success. The failure seems to have cut deep; this his first proper flop post game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gunn is a hack, I dont think he is qualified for the job.

Is he going to make serious films or comedies like Guardians of the Galaxy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

People are fed up with reboots and origin stories. One last Cavil outing is a good way to end one era and begin another. This scenario would please everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As an aside, is The Rock the A-list star with the fewest genuinely good films to his name? Virtually all major stars have some big auteur collabs, critical favourites or just small indie passion projects to their name, or even just a few genuinely great, timeless blockbusters. The Rock, despite being a big star and financial success, barely has any films that feel like they’d stand the rest of time. Moana as a voice actor sure, and Southland Tales as a cult, midnight favourite. You could argue Pain & Gain as an auteur collab of sorts 😅 But pretty thin on the ground beyond - mostly just big old generic blockbusters ranging from grand (Fast Five) to real bad (too many to list). For someone with an obviously popular and well-liked screen presence, it’s fascinating how it seems to be through reputation alone rather than the actual quality of the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

After your first sentence I was thinking “I’m a pimp. And pimps don’t commit suicide”.

I know southland tales tanked but I really enjoyed it. Great to see so many actors in unusual non typecast roles aswell. Also enjoy the moby soundtrack.

And it has an advert with a car having sex, what’s not to love?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Checked his wiki filmography page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Johnson_filmography

Had a lot more film and tv involvement than I was expecting.

As I went down the list the points of note I took after read your post were:

• probably the fast and furious films will be something seen / rewatched for a good while so he'll have those
    • disney are likely to keep their films going for as long as they think they can make any money from them so Jungle Cruise will have that. Haven't seen it though so can't guess how long that would be
    • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was the film that jumped out where I thought I remembered it as fun more than anything else so that's the one I'd say has a good chance. Not sure as to the lastability of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just watched Black Adam... it-s not as bad as people make out... SOme genuinely funny moments from the rock with the "use your line " bit...

still not good enough from DC, they have 90 years of stories.... some utter clowns making decisions here... with cavill and The ROck, they have a slam dunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you look at the way the rock has talked about his work over the last few years, he has been on the lookout to move from a starring feature role into production and having his own "media empire" situation. This is particularly obvious with the jumanji, jungle cruise, red notice, type stuff - the media campaigns were a lot about what "his team were bringing" rather than just his role. I think he was trying to pivot Black Adam into getting the role that James Gunn now has, and that hasn't worked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've slowly cooled on The Rock the longer his career has gone on, and he has betrayed that almost aggressive desire to play safe, vanilla sort of characters. People like to trash the MCU and whatnot as emblematic of the kind of creative bankruptcy within Hollywood - but is The Rock the true totem here? The guy's CV is just one long line of the cinematic equivalent of a shoulder shrug.

He seems to be a very charismatic presence, but I've even started to question how much of that is authentic; there are shades of Tom Cruise with his public persona. I've seen hints of a range that suggest he could branch out, but seems chronically allergic to anything resembling a left-of-field move. I'd go to bat for things like Jumanji as far better than they ever had any right to be (and arguably came closest to the actor playing against type), but around that have been a constant succession of bland-at-best blockbusters whose dearth of anything resembling imagination showed them as kinda cynical blockbusters precision engineered to appeal to foreign markets, or toy-boxes for The Rock to pose within.

You look at the physically equivalent actors of yesteryear and say what you will about Arnie for instance - and I frequently have - but the guy was willing to take risks and appear in various types and genres of film. Heck his career went into orbit in the first place, playing the bad guy. Same with Stallone, Willis and all the rest; they had a comfort zone but they also tried their hand at writing & directing (Stallone), or all sorts of roles (Willis). Whither that for The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A big part of the trouble is how Rock goes way too far with the promotion of his movies (and all his products like his energy drink, tequila, sportswear etc) that it's impossible to take any of it seriously now. As I said, he's more hype-man than actor.

Half of his promotion of Black Adam was centered around what his plans were for after Black Adam; how there'll be more of the Justice Society, how there'll be a showdown between Black Adam and Superman (even though Superman's return should have been a surprise), and how he and his producers had big plans for the future of the DCEU, and wanted to have a hand in helping to find their version of Kevin Feige.

You're not really selling a great movie if you're more concerned about trying to promise fans that good things are coming after the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I think he is at that stage of his career where accepting a 007 role is the most logical step forward... This video games tie ins are a double-edged sword, as shown by the Netflix show (I'm aware that Warhammer 40,000 is a much broader topic than video games, no worries :) )

The Rock gone now.

Gunn laid the Smackdown on his Candy Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

The Rock found out really quick that the hierarchy of power in the DC universe had changed.

Post edited by ThePott on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sacked Adam.

"What a helluva month - now we all need some Teremana! 😂🥃"

Is it a bird? Is it Black Adam? No... it's Hype-Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Cotts72

• Advertisement

• Did the announcement on Aquaman come yet?

Very little in the way of actual announcements have been made, even with regards to Ezra Miller, Gal Gadot, Zachary Levi and Jason Momoa. I think it's early next year when Gunn and Safran are going to announce their starting plans for what the new DCEU will be. Until then, with the exception of some like Cavill & The Rock, we know very little for sure.

Yeah some reports that he is done as Aquaman however Gunn wants him to stay in with DC and play Lobo.

I presume that with regards The Flash, the hope is that there's enough time for Ezra Miller to complete their patented Hollywood Road to Damascus, and the press junkets don't focus on what would then be Ancient History. It'll get released, hopefully makes WB some money off Keaton Nostalgia then quickly gets shunted into HBO Max and down the Memory Hole.

IIRC, wasn't Aquaman 2 already shot, or very far along production?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

James Gunn seems to have a very messy leadership and communication style. Its ridiculous that they didn't announce the futures of Gal Gadot and Momoa when they announced Cavill was leaving. Outside of Batman I have no interest in any DC properties now

Gunn seems to be another one who seems to want to placate the Snyder fans on social media by constantly posting on social media where I think he would be btter just being quiet and getting on with the job behind the scenes until after Aquaman 2 Shazam 2 & The Flash are released and done.

He seems a bit delicate when he replies to every Tom Dick and Harry on Twitter that say anything he perceives as slighty negative towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think he had to address the Cavill in the room given he only announced he was coming back to the role 2 months ago. He would have been fielding questions about it until he'd said something.

I mean there's a good argument that no filmmaker should be on social media - Gunn himself knows the perils all too well as the subject of an unfair political smear campaign. But for someone who clearly values transparency and engagement with fans, he's been pretty sensible and diplomatic over the last few days. He's obviously trying to be as open as he can during a process that is both ongoing and likely tied up in various corporate machinations. He's debunking reports where possible, giving teases of his plans, and being cordial and respectful towards the likes of Cavill and Johnson.

For someone who is clearly 'very online', he's handling this about as well as anyone could tbh given the various factions coming at him (not just angry fans - https://deadline.com/2022/12/james-gunn-ray-fisher-justice-league-star-slammed-dc-head-1235203040/). He'd be under fire as well if he wasn't saying anything while all this was unfolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I just think what is the point going to see Aquaman 2 and the Flash now - as standalone films they will probably be pretty weak and they will not be part of a continuing films series so you could easily miss them and still understand subsequent movies in the DC universe. Marvel execs were geniuses in creating a film series where every movie was a jigsaw piece in an overall film series story.

Did James Gunn tell Cavill he was coming back, then change his mind or was someone else involved in that decision?

• Advertisement

Cavill was brought back before WB hired Gunn and Safran to run the DCEU. Cavill filmed his Black Adam cameo about 2 months before release, and publicly announced he was returning as Superman a week after the film came out (as that was the plan). But then a few weeks later WB brought in Gunn and Safran, and after about a month of discussing and planning what to do with the DCEU, they realised Cavill just didn't fit into their plans (as they want to go younger with Superman, and especially given the history of Cavill's Superman I'm guessing they want to just start again from the beginning).

So the blame doesn't lie with Gunn. Cavill shouldn't have been brought back until WB knew what they wanted to do with the films. You could also argue that The Rock shouldn't have pushed so hard to get Cavill to cameo in Black Adam which was more to boost The Rock's film and standing more than anything else.

Advertisement