Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's a mercy at this point and I say that as someone who likes Cavill. This role has become way too toxic for him and he can now look at new and more interesting roles.

As for Gunn's brief description of his vision, I'd be surprised if he goes too young. Just sounds like a little spoof to get this news out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As much as I would have liked to have seen Cavill return and thought he could have been far better than the material he was given, I think this is for the best. MoS was 2013 which means given his cameo in Black Adam, he's been playing the role for about 10 years now. If DC want to start a new set of films and set up a DCEU which could last 10 years, that's a long time for Cavill. Plus it sounds like they're rebooting almost all the other characters too, so doesn't make a lot of sense to only keep Cavill.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Man of Steel and BvS were truly woeful and were a spectacular misintrepretation of the character. I utterly despise those things. Two rotten abominations. While Cavill might have been good at the role under a different director/script - clean slate is undoubtedly the best way forward. Also kind of rubbed me the wrong way that he attached himself to The Rock and had a cameo in The Rock (because whatever that mess was where the Rock played himself as he always does, it wasn't Black Adam, who should really just be left for Shazam movies).

Brainiac and Bizarro still untouched leaves them with some great potential stories - should be an easier reboot than other ip's whose best villains have all been done to death.

In fairness, I think it was the other way around, with The Rock really pushing to get Cavill back as Superman and to hype up a Black Adam V Superman event. The Rock at this stage is more of a hype-man than an actor, and seemed to be trying to position himself and his company as the ones to come in, fix the DCEU, and lead it going forward (with The Rock pretty much as front and centre as he can be even though he's only playing Black Adam). It's why Rock made it so glaringly obvious even before the film came out that Superman was going to be in it; because it'd help sell tickets to his movie and make him look better. I'd say Cavill was just happy it could be a way back for him as Superman.

• Advertisement

I'd lead towards saying Johnson pushed for it also more than Cavill, who was probably just playing along in hope more than anything else. Their agent was probably leaning on Cavill as well to announce his return in the role to ludicrously put pressure on the new regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I actually enjoyed most of BvS, especially Affleck's performance. The first two thirds have a very solid build up, but the finale with Doomsday was comically bad.

As for the future, I think a clean slate is their best bet now. Gunn has a good head on his shoulders, I think he won't pilot this into the ground. However, I do wish they won't follow into Marvel's footsteps since these characters can be the basis for proper drama movies (like the Nolan's Trilogy) despite of Alan Moore's shunning of all comic book heroes in general...

This doesn't mean that the new arcs have to get darker and darker, but the usual Marvel pace of "every third line has to be a joke or a pop-culture reference" does make me sick nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rough news for Cavill to come to terms with. Having given up The Witcher and then being told “sorry, going in a younger direction” here. He could have been a great superman, but he was badly let down with the products.

Brandon Routh & Henry Cavill both brilliantly cast and both let down by terrible scripts and directors best of luck the next big screen choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They should just scrap the entire DCU and start again at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I agree, I enjoyed MoS and BvS (UE) and JL (ZS)

The Doomsday storyline was bad, I think DC should have done way more why General Zod and maybe if Lex Luthor had just bought Zod back to life or cloned him or something, but Doomsday!!!

It's starting to look like a whole new reboot again with James Gunn and Peter Safran. WW3 is looking like its dead, Jason Momoa is rumoured to play a new DC character in the future and is leaving the character of Aquaman after the release of Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom next year. With the news of Henry Cavil now gone from DCU, I'm guessing Ben Afleck's Batman is also in trouble. Gunn also had a meeting with Ben Afleck.

Fingers crossed Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam is also gone, that Black Adam movie was terrible, I think dropping Cavil probably has chipped Johnson's wings a little anyway. To be fair WB screwed up with DCEU, they interfered too much with in the theater releases of BvS and JL, then got rid of Henry Cavil in 2017, the main DCEU character. The actors are now nearly 10 years older and expecting to still have them involved for another 10 years was going to be pushing it too far.

Thinking more about this news today about Henry Cavil and re reading Gunn's twits, Gunn doesn't say Henry Cavil is done with Superman, maybe were wrong here, but a possible storyline for the next Superman movie and it's not rebooting the DCU. They could, using the MoS storyline and have Superman have a flashback memory to an earlier time, to say Smallville, they did it a little in MoS to show him growing up in school, the bus crashing into the river etc, they could easy focus on his time drafting around US in his 20's

However, Henry Cavil does mention a "I wish them (Gunn & Safran) and all involved with the new universe the best of luck" which does sound like a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder is Gunn done now as a director and he will focus on being the main producer of the movies.

I doubt it. He said he's writing the new Superman film but not directing, but I'd say that's just to help them set up the new DCEU the way they want it. I'd say he'll maybe take on any main team films (Justice League) as writer/director, with Safran taking on most of the overall producer works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

For comic books films MoS is a masterpiece. I've seen it 4 times and each viewing I pick up on themes I hadn't noticed before.

The Ultimate Cut of BvS is also a great film. The Snyder Cut however was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Loved Man of Steel myself.

Dark, serious, thoughtful deep story with a superb soundtrack.

None of that crappy Marvel forced humour.

• I never got the hate for the neck snap, Zod literally forced his hand.

Superman threw Zod (depowered) into an icy crevice.

This, honestly, sucks. Guy is a great Superman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

With the current state of cgi/effects etc., isn't Superman a tough one to get right? He's more or less indestructible, so any adversary who will pose a real challenge will also most likely be indestructible and you end up with a cgi splatter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Acosta

That would be a shame as his movies are fantastic.

WB are lucky to have him. They might as well start it again from scratch and do it better. Feel a bit for Cavill with the material he had to work with, but he's not a very good actor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Putting aside whether Henry was a good actor, or what went wrong with individual films I think we can at least say that this incident shows that WB's central problem with the DCEU to date, namely being a confused, contradictory, directionless mess where snap decisions are taken without planning them through, by people with wildly different agendas in a fruitless power struggle which does nothing to actually help make better quality films, is well and truly over.

• Advertisement

Gunn really needs to stop tweeting and trying to be nice to everyone. I'm starting to wonder if he has the right temperament for what he's undertaken. He's not going to win getting dragged into **** like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't entirely blame Gunn here: he's on a charm offensive probably because he knows just how messy and totally upside-down the state of DC is at the moment - with decisions by WB:Discovery's around things like Batgirl really poisoning the well of whatever goodwill was remaining with fans in the first place. Christ I'd not be surprised if he's still not even sure what space he even has here for the future of DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the financials of WB Discovery group are awful, 50bn in debts, thats the national debt of a small country and compared to other companies in the space they have 5 times the leverage. They are probably under orders not to spent a cent more than necessary

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yep, totally agree, for all the flaws of Snyders movies , they are unique. They wouldn’t slot into a marvel universe.

WW and Awuaman would because they used the same generic cookie cutter ingredients that the masses want.

I really loved the Snyder DC trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I was salty at first for them parting ways with Cavill, but then again - he's been playing that character for almost a decade... SInce they're taking things back to square one (once the new Flesh releases, that is) having a new Superman seems unavoidable. Shame that Cavill got the short straw in terms of writers/directors. Imagine if he was able to work with Nolan on a superhero movie

I don't have an issue with Cavill making an exit as it's only fair that Gunn gets a fair crack with his own choices.

But the handling of Cavill has been a total botch in the last month as it has led to humiliation and loss of earnings.

WB, his agent and even Gunn have to take responsibility for a situation very poorly handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Well he's just announced he's bringing a warhammer 40k live action project to amazon, so maybe loss of earnings isn't an issue...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmOoVoqsWAw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

• Movie franchise Vs show though?

Also to have him announce his triumphant return and they spit in his face???

Not cool

I saw that but his pulling power has been diminished by this. He was reportedly making 8 million per season on The Witcher, an established show with a following. Maybe Bezos will throw the same money at him.

• Advertisement

• Way things are going Amazon studios could tank too

Advertisement