Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

The feeling is DC is gonna try and make a hero universe more male centred and get rid of the diversity of recent Marvel failures (not failures but less successful outings)

Im really not sure that's a good thing tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm i think those directors have been a mixed bag; Coogler for instance was notable by his absence during the post-production IIRC, and you could really tell. As lauded as Black Panther has rightly been, the FX and action set-pieces were some of the worse examples of the kind of rubbery, bland CGI action the MCU has become criticised for. While yeah bringing some indie directors onboard is a neat idea, many don't have the kind of chops you kinda need to be a good action director. Now, that's me making some assumptions James Gunn was involve in post-production - but his action scenes often felt way more integrated into the overall structure than many sibling films. And for every Coogler or Zhao, there's a Jon Watts, a director with almost no identifiable individuality. As fun as it was to see the old Spidey villains back, they all seemed so ... static, reduced by Watts' direction compared with Sam Raimi's vibrant work.

Will The Joker and The Batman series of films be allowed to continue to head off on there own journeys now that Gunn is in charge or will DC continue to water down there franchises by thrown as much crap against the wall hoping something sticks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While they make the money they do, and Phoenix or Pattinson are willing to play the roles, they'll continue over in their own corner. If the scheduled sequels don't make the same megabucks, watch them disappear down the Memory Hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

This Safran guy is being lost in the discussion, I'm more interested in him and how co-CEOS will work. Hopefully him and Gunn know each other and are on the same wavelength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

here's his wiki... looks like Kanye would have aproblem with him..

Incredible amount of projects behind/under him...

I think it is probably a good idea, what DC are doing. Can't be as bad as before..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Supposedly the Joker sequel isn't even going to have the DC Studios logo, so is being treated completely as its own thing.

is this the musical?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cavill has left The Witcher so I assume back as Superman

fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Shred

That was confirmed days ago folks (and before it was announced he was leaving The Witcher): Henry Cavill Gives Interview on Superman Return: He Will Be Joyful - Variety

Will Snyder have a place in this new DC Universe like it or not he pretty much set the style for it that Gunn followed with the Suicide Squad and Peacemaker and if Cavill is returning as Superman will be the Snyder version or a complete reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I doubt we'll see Snyder back. He had a very definitive plan with his films and the story he was telling with them. Some of the actors are pretty much done (I doubt Affleck will do a Cavill and come back full time as Batman, and DC might not want Fisher back with everything that went down), and I doubt Gunn and DC would proceed with Snyder's story and plans for the Justice League films. Cavill has already said we're going to see a more hopeful and inspiring Superman. That's not even close to what Snyder was going to do.

Snyder was given huge control in shaping the DCEU, and it wasn't going well even before he had to step away from Justice League. Reading the plans he had for the DCEU, it sounded pretty awful. Him coming back for MoS2 or something else would almost be a step down from his previous standing, and he wouldn't be able to tell the story he wanted to tell. I doubt he'd really want to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Reports Henry Cavil has signed to do Man of Steel 2 and Justice League 2 movies, and there's also reports Ben Affleck has signed to do 3 solo Batman movies, not sure if one of those will be JL2

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I wonder if Zack Snyder could / would come back to do Man of Steel 2, like he's doing Rebel Moon with Netflix at the moment and & it's looking like Rebel Moon 2 is going to be done back to back after the first one, so I think Zack isn't going to be unavailable. However I could see him being involved as a Producer, similar to Wonder Woman or Aquaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,327 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new DC head Honcho is going to follow the Marvel way and have the DC Universe cross between Movies, animation and TV Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

I wonder if the horse has already left the barn though.

Like Gunn isn't saying anything new here, it's pretty much what DC wanted from the get-go except now it's going to connect TV and animation too. I think creating a connected film universe nearly a decade into the universe seems a little messy. They have a great opportunity in Flash to try and set the table again but who knows what they'll actually do with it. At the very least we know who Superman is in the universe but beyond that there's still a lot of balls in the air.

Plus, does Back Adam figure? Jettisoning The Rock, arguably the biggest star on the planet, might be too much for an executive and Gunn finds himself having to accommodate him - especially as the film itself seemed to have been a bit, last I checked.

Not sure Black Adam has been a real box office hit thought with worldwide box office so far of $320m on a budget of $200m that seem very poor for a huge budget superhero film.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,327 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man of Steal 2 might not happen now, Can he return to The Witcher.

Black Adam 2 unlikely

Aquaman 2 is probably the end for Jason Momoa in the role as he now tipped to play Lobo next.

Looks like Gunn is killing off the Snyderverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is this all speculation or has it been reported?

The reports are that Jenkins script treatment has been killed off, not the overall project so it may just be Jenkins isn't the one to helm it.

Mind you, Gadot has become very expensive with little actual box office draw by comparison. If the WB priority is to cut costs, a $20 million plank of wood ain't a good investment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, there wasn't a lot of the Snyderverse to really build new franchises off, especially when in the second film of the Snyderverse you start off with "Batman's been retired for years, Robin is dead, loads of people hate Superman because several blocks of Metropolis were levelled in the first film, Lex is nuts, and Superman dies". Add in that WB will likely not agree to Ray Fisher coming back as Cyborg, Ezra Miller is actually more nuts than Lex was in BvS, Jared Leto was awful as Joker, and weirdly enough The Rock's Instagram didn't translate to box office success for Black Adam. And then you have Batgirl...

It's also unlikely that whatever universe resetting is set up in The Flash, won't tie in with what Gunn and Safran want to do.

Release what films are already made, take a year or two out with no releases, start over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After the last Wonder Woman, it's safe to say nothing of value was lost in cancelling a third.

James Gunn responds, and looks like it's not as simple as the initial headlines suggested. Reads like everyone's just weighing their options right now more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

One would wonder how you could keep any of what went before if considering a full reset.

A full reset is needed to end the disjointed nature of this DC universe, not sure how keeping some characters

would hold up though!

Also knowing there are 3 other major DC films coming out this year with zero potential future begs the question,

Why would you bother to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I assume they ain't sayin nothin bout Shazam until Fury of the Gods has released.

• Advertisement

Reports now saying a script treatment for Batman Beyond is another casualty of the DC shake up; the script was penned by Batgirl and The Flash scribbler Christina Hodson. Further rumours suggested Michael Keaton would play the elder batman

Tough break, if it doesn't happen, cos if we were to break the chokehold of the grim Batman films, Beyond was a fantastic way to do it.

Advertisement