Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deep space 9 revisited

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One problem with making an arc storyline back then was seasons were 24 episodes long.

If the final few seasons of DS9 were made now with a 12 episode season they would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think so. The off arc episodes are just as important for pacing the series giving you a bit of a break now and then

Personally I wasn't a fan of things like a holodeck romp in the middle of a series about a war.

At the time I just sighed once I realized that after waiting all week I got a filler episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Rawr

I remember having a passionate hated for the Vic Fontane stuff back in the day. My view has mellowed considerably in later years, but having this Rat Pac singer shoved into the narritive felt like a forced attempt to wedge someone's music preferences into the Trek universe. Really didn't like it, and the whole Vegas cadence of the guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

He was grand as a very bit character but should have stayed that way. Didn't think s7 was a good place to be exploring new characters given the storyline.

His one real quality moment is being the scene for Nogs escapism in that one episode.

There was a stupid side quest about Ezri's dodgy family too which is always a skip for me. I liked Ezri but again s7 is a bit late to be caring about this sht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I liked a lot of DS9 but the Bajorans in general, and particularly the focus on their religion, almost ruined the show for me. As soon as Kai Winn appears, it's time to skip to the next episode. It felt odd to have a Star Trek series give such prominence to religion that featured literal angels and demons when Rodenberry was such a noted atheist.

Ezri had the potential to be a decent character, but far too little time was available to flesh her out. They tried and fair play to them, but I don't think they got there.

What often stuck out to me as an obvious indicator of character depth / development was when Worf & Ezri became delirious after interrogation by the Breen. Worf's character could call back on references from his past in DS9, where as the best they could come up with for Ezri were a smattering of references to the 2 episodes that focused on her. It was clear that was all they had to work on. Similarly, her finale-montage in the ending sequences was obviously very light compared to all of the stuff we got to see with the rest of the DS9 cast in their montage. I get that of course she's main cast...but that was after 6 years of another Dax. She needed at least another season to cement her there I feel.

I think they should have kept it ambiguous in the whole religion vs wormhole aliens. They went way too far making Sisco an actual definite Jesus and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If they weren't going to use the Bajoran religion to show how gullible and naïve the whole idea of faith in a deity or deities is (which would, in fairness, have destroyed their ratings in large swathes of religious America - and beyond), they shouldn't have included it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

still shocked Bashir pulled Kira in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I can't believe they worked this line into the script with the surrogacy plot ...

Kira to Bashir - "Don't forget, this is still your fault."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

"War is long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror" has been a saying for at least a century.

I think they originally wanted Frank Sinatra Jr for that role because he was a massive Star Trek fan but he'd only do Star Trek if he could be an alien so they kept the lounge stuff and hired James Darren.

Well it might be a saying but I think it makes crap TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Worf becomes an eco-terrorist and tries to kill his own brother, then wipes his memory.

• Advertisement

Sabotages the weather grid on Risa cos he's fighting with Jadzia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah sure, who on DS9 isn't guilty of a bit of eco-terrorism.

One for the Keiko haters

And, not too long after wiping Kurn’s memory, he goes and gets back into the fold of the Empire and is welcomed back into its society….negating the need to wipe his memory…which was down to actions triggered by Worf himself thus screwing over every aspect of Kurn’s life.

Worf is really a dick sometimes, must be also why Troi likely dumped him sometime between TNG S7 and his arrival on DS9. Hell, on choosing to leave Starfleet in «Way of the Warrior» he doesn’t plan to go back to Minsk to be with his son, he instead plans to join an Alliance extremely far away from Earth. Great character, but kind of an awful person :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I'm working through a rewatch of DS9 at the moment to fill in the gaps of the show I missed back in the day. I'm just up to the Kurn episode and I'm dreading it as it was a story that made me genuinely angry towards the DS9 crew. Their 'solution' to mind wipe Kurn doesn't come across as doing what's best for Kurn but instead simply taking the easiest option for themselves. Most importantly it's something they do without Kurn's consent. If they had proposed the plan to Kurn and he accepted it that it could have sidestepped a big problem with the story. On top of that as you point out Worf gets promoted to a position of power in the Empire making Kurns's mind wipe kind of pointless.

In general terms what has struck me the most about my DS9 rewatch is that I've enjoyed the Quark episodes a lot more this time around. They were episodes I would skip first time around

I don't think Kurn would have accepted the mindwipe, he probably would have seen it as adding to his dishonour. But a bit of forethought about Worf regaining status in the Klingon Empire could have made for a better story for Kurn and if they really did want to kill off the character there would have been plenty of opportunities for a blaze of glory guaranteeing him a spot in Sto'Vo'Kor.

That was the thing I most disliked about DS9. IMO there was too much religion in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So who here knows who was the very first person to destroy a Jem Hedar ship while in Control of the navigation controls and weapons on the Defiant?

I just watched it today again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

I think the creators nailed it to be fair. They wanted to give a brutalist industrial feel to the station. It fitted the overall arc of the series I felt, oppressive and restricted.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bashir pops into my head for some reason... I remember him on the bridge of the Defiant during a Jem Hadar attack.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ms

Yes you are correct. The good Doctor is not only the first person from the DS9 crew to fly the ship but he is the first to destroy a Jem Hader ship too in the Gamma Quadrant at that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Dr Bashir was also present in the first battle with the Jem'Hadar too, who fired the first shot?

The USS Odyssey destroyed the first Jem'Hadar ship because they were rammed

Ms

Good point. Yes I was asking do who was the first to do it in the Defiant not necessarily the very first do.

Oh and the Odyssey did not destroy the Jam Hadar ship it destroyed them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 inquisitivem

WoW

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I was sick a few weeks ago so I binge watched season 1. Wasn’t great. Tosk/Task episode was a highlight.

Mike from Breaking Bad was a nice treat. Other than that, I was glad to start series 2.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Really? I felt there's a fair share of episodes I'd consider quite decent for a Season 1 outing there. Duet is a remarkable episode, definitely the highlight of the season for me.

Babel, Captive Pursuit, The Passenger, Move Along Home (yep I enjoyed it), The Nagus, Vortex, The Storyteller, Progress, If Wishes were Horses (again for a season 1 Ep, it's far from the worst), Duet (brilliant)

Star Trek of that era used to be weak enough when only starting out, DS9 is no different. In the broader view of it all though, the filler episodes really helped add to and develop the characters, which paid off when the show would hit its stride.

I’m a huge fan of DS9, but in my opinion the first series is more filler than anything else.

Series 2 starts much stronger and moves with a purpose: some focus on Bejoran politics and so on.

they/them/theirs

I found season 1 to be an awful chore to be honest. I only persisted with it as the reviews of later seasons were so good. I didn't really start enjoying the show until towards the end of season 2 when the Maquis and Dominion elements were introduced.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt that towards the end of Season 2 is when the show began to properly establish itself. I'd say though, Season 1 of DS9 surpassed Season 1 of TNG. They're both a little like new born deer's, wobbly and uncertain. I wouldn't give TNG a pass though, Season 1 was TOS 2.0.

I’m in a similar boat, although I do warm up to the season in more recent viewings. I kind of appreciate more the risk they we’re taking with a series that was mostly based on a non-Starfleet station, focusing on Bajor picking up right after decades of Cardassian occupation, only poky little Runabouts to travel in meaning our heroes were often outgunned (a major change from TNG) and possibly the start of a sense of the end of Starfleet’s “golden era” of unrivalled supremacy.

It was a gamble, a massive one, if you were like me back in the day I only gave DS9 the time of day when TNG ended, making it the only remaining Trek show near Federation space. (Voyager starts with DS9 S3, right after TNG). That happened to correspond with S2 ending with the JemHadar destroying a Galaxy Class, almost symbolically saying “The safety of TNG is gone…now sh*t just got real”

Follow that up with the Defiant & the adoption of the Generations Comm-Badge and DS9 was now a new style of mid-90s Trek that I got into. But back in S1 & S2 it had the look and feel of a budget TNG show that was more of a side quest than the main event. But those 2 seasons for what they were, were well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

I watched ‘Emissary’ last night, after being a bit disappointed with what’s going on in Picard season 3, and the overly reverential tone of that show.

whatever about the quality of DS9 season one overall, that first two-parter is an incredible start to the series. Having been a little while since I’d seen any DS9 and with lots of new-Trek in-between, the drama and realism of this really stood out.

Avery Brooks is outstanding, particularly the stuff with Jake and Jenifer. The sequence at the start from Wolf 359 is so good, and anchoring the character to that tragedy and that relationship with Picard is a powerful move that works great in the episode. We’re not used to seeing Picard treated like this in a story and it really hits.

Stewart is great, too. Good to see him in his prime again. Except for that awful scene with O’Brien in the transporter room. Ooof. What were they thinking leaving that in there.

I’m more of a TNG guy usually but this episode, stand-alone, is some of the very best of Star Trek. And I’m not going to start a full rewatch but I might look for a shorter “best of Sisko / emissary” list and do that. I miss Avery Brooks.

I'll go with this list of Sisko episodes. Seems about as good as any and 14 episodes is a good runtime (it's a top 10 with 4 two-parters).

And in chronological order:

• Season 1, Episode 1, "Emissary"
    • Season 2, Episodes 20 & 21, "The Maquis"
    • Season 3, Episodes 11 & 12, "Past Tense"
    • Season 4, Episode 3, "The Visitor"
    • Season 4, Episodes 10 & 11, "Homefront"/"Paradise Lost"
    • Season 5, Episode 10, "Rapture"
    • Season 6, Episode 11, "Waltz"
    • Season 6, Episode 13, "Far Beyond The Stars"
    • Season 6, Episode 19, "In The Pale Moonlight"
    • Season 7, Episode 4, "Take Me Out To The Holosuite"

You’ll notice as well that O’Brien was suddenly in his TNG uniform again for that scene, which didn’t make much sense. I’m guessing this might have been something they shot for O’Brien’s departure during the run of TNG, before they knew the details of how DS9 would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This might be controversial but I really don't think Avery Brooks was a very good actor. He was fine but boy did he love to ham it up, he is one of those who I watch and think "oh he's acting"

• Advertisement

Completely agree. But the lady who played Kiera was worse.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I didn't mind her so much because she didn't get as many big acting moments as Brooks did but in the last few seasons her complete lack of chemistry with Odo was a huge problem (although she was only 50% of that), I just don't think the show needed that storyline at all.

Disagree on both counts. Brooks has a certain style and it did take me a while to get with that groove, but I did and I find him a powerful and charismatic presence on screen. I don’t think he gets enough credit for the tone and energy he brought to that role, and balancing the station commander, single father, and religious figure roles so well.

And Kira / Nana Visitor? No way. She’s great.

Agreed on both counts here. Brooks had a powerful screen presence, and brought real weight to the screen. I thought Visitor did a great job conveying the weight of the Occupation, distrust and eventual trust of Starfleet, and so on.

He was technically still on the Enterprise so that was the correct uniform. I bet he was glad to get pockets and rollable sleeves once he changed though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement