Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep space 9 revisited

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think actor like a break from the routine now and then, like any job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's also nice to briefly lighten the mood in an otherwise dark and gritty ~24 episode season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

It's also pretty normal, wars aren't all go all the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m enjoying it a lot more than I did last time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

During a brutal war, I'd welcome a chance to forget the blood and death and partake in some Holodeck hijinks.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I would too, but instead I’m watching sci fi. It doesn’t irk me now, but at the time I really wanted them to hurry up with the main plot

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I actually liked Vic. Thought he was used just enough. From a show/production POV he made sense as the Dominion War arc kicked into high gear. They needed to have a mechanism to have lighter, standalone bottle episodes and they couldn't exactly have them jaunting off in a runabout every few weeks to Risa etc. So it made sense to build a set they could use often. As mentioned above, it also makes sense from a character POV. Having a place for everyone to decompress. Sure, you wouldn't like to see him as a major character..... But I'd take 5 seasons of "The continuing adventures of Vic Fontaine before another horrifically racist episode involving f*cking Fairhaven. Jesus. Can you imagine what could have been? "Hey, we need a regular haunt for the crew to unwind... Let's steal that set/characters from Voyager. Everyone LOVED them, right?..... Right?"

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Indeed, on rewatch Vic made more sense, and in the Siege of AR558 his music served as oddly haunting counter to the horrors of the Dominion War. DS9 had finished by the time Voyager inflicted us with FairHaven, and I can't help but now wonder if that War-Crime of an episode was an attempt to ape what they had done with Vic and his Vegas club.

My only gripe, with Vic, was that he had a real counterpart in the Mirror Episodes

Yea, that was just silly. Even in the Mirror Universe, Vic would just have been a historic musical figure from the Terran Empire's past. Not an actual future person. (Unless a Great Great Great Great Great Great ...... Great Grandson of the original...but thats a damned stretch.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The episode with the Phoenix i think provides a reasonable amount of backstory for the Chief, tactical officer on a Nebula class ship, engaging in the border wars, significant ground combat and the line " I dont hate cardassians - I hate what i became because of you"

and that leads on the Empok Nor where Garak says he's dissapponted in the Chiefs "display" are a war hero and he says hes an engineer and blows him up.

Yea, I felt that O'Brien was surprisingly fleshed out for someone who wasn't really main cast at all. He'd been there throughout nearly the whole run of TNG, and the Phoenix added an extra dimention that seemed to fit him well. I like to think of the Chief as a man who was well used to war, and well able to become a soldier when needed...but what his heart wanted was the peace to just be an engineer & fix stuff.

Great actor and character.

Vic wasn't a historical figure, he's completely made up, his program just happens to be set in the 60s and was originally supposed to be played by Frank Sinatra Jr.

I'm coming in with a nuclear hot take so separate post, Fairhaven isn't that bad and is definitely not racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there no Voyager thread you can pollute with your revisionism?

:)

DS9 has strict rules about such things you know, no leprechauns. Chief O'Brien \ Colm Meaney's orders.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Fairhaven character popped up on lower decks recently as did voyager.

I don't get that either it's part of Irish mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah but in the States and their TV version of Ireland it usually means Lucky Charms leprechauns not creatures from myths with their subtleties and unhuman agendas. I can see why Meaney was worried about stereotyping with leprechauns wrt "If Wishes Were Horses". The Rumplestiltskin character was more like the myth version iirc, who knows what kinda leprechaun we would have gotten though. A more subtle version of leprechauns would have been nicer to see.

Having said that, what does Meaney do in 1999... The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Advertisement

That's kind of my point, it's not like the portrayal of Rumpelstiltskin was offensive to Germans so there's no reason to automatically think the leprechaun would have been either.

I just googled that. I have absolutely no recollection of that episode existing. Mad.

they/them/theirs

I’m finished with DS9.

Overall it gets 8/10. I enjoyed the horn dog Ferengi a lot more this time round.

On to Voyager.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Nope. I’m actually enjoying it more than the first time. Maybe I’ve lowered my expectations

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Voyager is a fine show. Ok it might not reach the heights of DS9, but it's nowhere near as bad as what gets made out, more so when binge watched. Sure its got some annoying character traits, but if you can get past those, it's a solid show to sail through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah the show gets too much hate imo. Not as good as TNG or DS9 but an enjoyable watch for the most part, especially in the middle seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I thought DS9 was a fan favourite? It's weak in the first two seasons, the first one in particular but it's a good followup to TNG. It's like TNG was Dark Side of the Moon and DS9 is The Wall or TNG is The Bends and DS9 is Ok Computer (darker, less perfect but more expressive). I really like the fact that in DS9 you have pub scenes in Quark with no much going on, it contributes to world building, something a lot of modern shows miss out on because they're so plot fixated.

I think Voyager shines in comparison to new Trek. Especially Discovery.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Voyager isn't bad it's just a show full of missed opportunity and a wasted premise

Advertisement