Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deep space 9 revisited

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

His realisation after Kira's "Yeah Damar. What kind of people?" is about as perfect as you could get.

There was an oversight with the last 10 episodes that meant a lot of extra Dukat/Winn stuff had to be added or they'd be missing for a five(?) episode chunk in the middle so if it feel like water treading filler, it is.

But seeing them thrown off a cliff into a pit of fire is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Only if the writers of that arc followed them... linear existence my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Indeed it was. Damar's scenes are full of peak Trek moments.

• From his hilarious suggestion to Weyone that "Maybe you could talk to Worf again! :P "
    • ...to the build up of his resistance when he angrily refused to defer to the Breen "I. will. NOT!"
    • To his speeches as a resistance hero, inspiring the Cardassians to rise up against the Dominon, despite the odds.

It was all just gold.

I agree, that they did seem to have 5 episodes worth of good plot to fill 10, but I feel that they could have done a better job with that filling. I get that those Dukat scenes were probably cheap and easy since most of them happened on a single set, but it still feels like a very wasted opportunity. Specking of filler, I also tend to avoid that Section 31 episode they throw into the middle of that. I love O'Brien & Bashir, but it's tedious compared to the better episodes in that arc, and all you really learn is that Odo gets cured. Skipping it does not seem to take away the experience of the arc overall.

Worf and Klingons in general are so much fun in the old series.

Complete buzz kill in Discovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

As much as I appreciate DS9, that's my main issue with the whole thing really and in particular the last few seasons: if I wanted a gloomy no-hope drama there's plenty of other contemporary shows to choose from, sci-fi and otherwise, or for a war story I'd watch Band of Brothers or countless other shows or films.

If I want Star Trek... DS9 isn't always it. I'm here for the bright optimistic future, the dark underbelly of Starfleet and the harsh realities of life on the final frontier aren't what I look forward to. And calling it "more realistic" has always sounded like a lack of imagination to me.

It's a great show anyway because Star Trek is a place and there's room for these types of stories in it. It's just maybe not great in the way that Star Trek can be great, for me.

I would prefer the Ds9 to the classic TNG shows. But I take your point DS9 isn't really the same mindset? as the TOS, TNG, Voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I take the point about DS9 not being classic trek. More dark. However we had 7 years of the TNG so it was time for a change.

Where the franchise took a wrong turn was creating such boring characters on voyager. They never really gelled.

The Enterprise again failed to have decent characters but I can't fully judge as i didn't watch it all.

Im not as negative on discovery as others but it went off the rails last season.

Good to see strange new worlds getting the balance right.

I think Voyager turned into Janeway saved the day way too much, too much about her. Which stopped most characters from delivering too far. It completely neutered Chakotay into mostly irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I do dip in and out of star trek now and again. I watched the episode where sisko and Garak got the Romulans in to the War. It was a very good episode that showed a different side to starfleet

• Advertisement

Getting the balance right is hard to do. Quark and the klingons created humour on DS9 that was credible.

Neelix was beyond repair. Over did it and just accepted the goody goody star fleet. Quark was always

Just heard Louise fletcher who played Bajoran religious leader has died. On deep space 9

She is also famous for playing nurse ratchet in one flew over the cuckoo's nest

She was 88

• Registered Users Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I always think its a pity that the seige of DS9 aka Terok Nor did not last longer in the show. Its only lasts for 6 episodes I know a few months in the show maybe more but really it could and should have been for a whole season. What a great way it would have been to go from season 6 to 7 with the retaking back of DS9.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Garak was such a good character, Nog losing his leg was a brilliant storyline aswell

I'm flipping through the series. Sisko was a great actor. Shame he disappeared from acting after it pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Between conflicts with the Dominion, the Klingons, the Ferengi. I found it really hard Keeping Up With The Cardassians.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One problem with making an arc storyline back then was seasons were 24 episodes long.

If the final few seasons of DS9 were made now with a 12 episode season they would be much better.

I don't think so. The off arc episodes are just as important for pacing the series giving you a bit of a break now and then

Personally I wasn't a fan of things like a holodeck romp in the middle of a series about a war.

At the time I just sighed once I realized that after waiting all week I got a filler episode.

I remember having a passionate hated for the Vic Fontane stuff back in the day. My view has mellowed considerably in later years, but having this Rat Pac singer shoved into the narritive felt like a forced attempt to wedge someone's music preferences into the Trek universe. Really didn't like it, and the whole Vegas cadence of the guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

He was grand as a very bit character but should have stayed that way. Didn't think s7 was a good place to be exploring new characters given the storyline.

His one real quality moment is being the scene for Nogs escapism in that one episode.

There was a stupid side quest about Ezri's dodgy family too which is always a skip for me. I liked Ezri but again s7 is a bit late to be caring about this sht.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I liked a lot of DS9 but the Bajorans in general, and particularly the focus on their religion, almost ruined the show for me. As soon as Kai Winn appears, it's time to skip to the next episode. It felt odd to have a Star Trek series give such prominence to religion that featured literal angels and demons when Rodenberry was such a noted atheist.

Ezri had the potential to be a decent character, but far too little time was available to flesh her out. They tried and fair play to them, but I don't think they got there.

What often stuck out to me as an obvious indicator of character depth / development was when Worf & Ezri became delirious after interrogation by the Breen. Worf's character could call back on references from his past in DS9, where as the best they could come up with for Ezri were a smattering of references to the 2 episodes that focused on her. It was clear that was all they had to work on. Similarly, her finale-montage in the ending sequences was obviously very light compared to all of the stuff we got to see with the rest of the DS9 cast in their montage. I get that of course she's main cast...but that was after 6 years of another Dax. She needed at least another season to cement her there I feel.

I think they should have kept it ambiguous in the whole religion vs wormhole aliens. They went way too far making Sisco an actual definite Jesus and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If they weren't going to use the Bajoran religion to show how gullible and naïve the whole idea of faith in a deity or deities is (which would, in fairness, have destroyed their ratings in large swathes of religious America - and beyond), they shouldn't have included it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

still shocked Bashir pulled Kira in real life

Advertisement