Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CHAdeMO v CCS

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Good job for the leaf drivers that you're not Applegreen... Although I'd say if you were you would have a better setup in Castlebellingham so 2 ways to look at everything

There's a few complexities (reasons an adapter is not an easy thing to make) between Chademo and CCS

Another one is the locking mechanism, CCS locks the plug to the car via a lock in the socket, while the Chademo lock is in the plug. That's why if ever you rock up to a leaf DC charging to 100% you can unplug it without access to the car key when it's finished

The Tesla DC standard is like CCS in that it has the locking mechanism in the car, hence why the Chademo or CCS adapter can work

So I'm a bit wary of the above mentioned chinese standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Laviski

chademo cars still have an overall good chunk of the cars regardless of the 7:1 sales ratio today. so maximizing profits would be to cater for them also.

thankfully you and your like aren't in charge of easygo/ecars/applegreen deployments.

don't know what rose tinted glasses your on

but there is a certain group on here that demand no new chademo points. i don't see anywhere in their posts promoting a j14 mayfield type deployments where there is a chademo point but the majority is CCS.

a reason why they deploy 4 CCS+Chademo, instead of 2 or 1 even would be due to the these entitled types hogging these points before using the units that are CCS only.

looking at the chicanery going on at current locations, with the increasing amount of shame posts on platforms... the good times of the past is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Haha yes down with forward thinking! Down with that sort of thing.

You're certainly not biased at all lol

I'm new to the EV game but i must say the Chadsters seem a very sensitive brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 27,954 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

5389 total sales of Leaf based on https://stats.beepbeep.ie/ which is just about 10% of the total amount of electric cars.

not including any other car type that could have Chademo, like some tesla's/Mitsubishi or even the nissan e-NV200 which starting to see alot of more of these days. so we are talking a lot higher than 10% and those with chademo are likely to stop at these points as the cars would have smaller battery capacity. so removing a customer doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,456 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Slower charging cars like the older CHADEMO do offer less of a return. Than the faster charger CCS

• Registered Users Posts: 27,954 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its not a lot more than 10% though really.

As others have said if you're planning correctly you won't be planning for now but in the future.

Fire away and install one Chademo plug for every 15-20 CCS installed now and leave the current 50:50 split on the current eCars installs. More than enough for the current 10% which will decline rapidly in the coming years (I wouldn't be surprised to see Chademo below 6-7% next year).

which makes up for the fact on long journeys they would be making more than the 1 stop, where as CCS may not even bother with one as they would be more likely to do destination charge as they have the range to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're planning for the future then 2 chargers ain't gonna do it, something more like 8-12 chargers with 2 plugs each. I think it's fair to have a Chademo plug or two on a 4 car site.

Ideally they could do it in a way that doesn't reduce the number of CCS spaces, but that's up to the designer

As you scale up then you'd obviously favour CCS, maybe in a 16 car site you'd have 12 spaces CCS only and 4 spaces as dual standard

Also I'm not sure the CCS being more profitable argument makes sense all the time. There's plenty of CCS cars that charge at a fairly measly 50kW.

Not to mention the number of big battery cars that plug in at 50% and get a slow charging rate

I know the maximum power from CCS is higher, but that doesn't mean you'll get it. I've gotten 125kW from my ID.4 exactly once, not really expecting to see it again

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've not seen a single complaint about CHAdeMO deployments where it's not done at the expense of a CCS connector. It must be frustrating to have bought a car with an abandoned standard, but that's no reason to argue for a degraded experience for everyone else.

you go spend your time adding them up. guarantee you get to 20% in no time (10k + vehicles with chademo) - link https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

there should be at least one chademo unit, there can be 4 CCS 14 CCS 40 ccs but there should be a chademo point. dedicated on its own or 2 units with duel cables with CCS so there is some redundancy

people have called out that there shouldn't be any new chademo plug made available what so ever, this is the issue I'm highlighting and pointing out there is a good chunk of cars that need charging. when on long journeys (rarely for me) those that need to charge the most would be those on chademo and not CCS.

abandoned standard or not, cars are still sold with chademo. when that day stops then i would join the plebs and advocate that the gig is up. Leaf was at a good price point where spending extra 10-20k for a CCS with decent battery just didn't make sense, but not any more especially with the choice out there now and with 0% finance offer gone. (would never advocate for Leaf60 in case people jump on considering the choice in last 2 years). more entry level cars are needed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Please stick to this thread if you want to debate why operators should install new CHAdeMO chargers

why?

should it not be both? "if you want to debate why operators should or should not install Chademo chargers."

if people are giving out about chademo's been installed, that should be argued.

The general topic of justifying CHAdeMO installations has it's place to be discussed, but we don't need to have the same discussion on each network operators thread. With the same claims and counter claims each time.

agreed

so posts giving out about new chademo installations will be redirected here then?

• Advertisement

I'm not giving out about chademo I have said and will say it again if I was spending money to install fast DC chargers with the sole intention of making money I wouldn't be touching chademo with a barge pole. It's not a discussion about the rights or wrongs of it for me. But I have been lit on for simply saying from a business perspective I would not be installing any more chademo.

It's my opinion. Independent operators are not here to serve the public unfortunately; they are here to make money.

you give that impression that you do

and whats wrong with money from chademo drivers that would need their services more than a CSS car. as said in previous post the amount of cars capable is easily 20% of the total amount of electric cars plenty of them out there.

plus the extra cost in just providing the extra cable is neglible considering the cost of the entire unit. Having a unit with 2 ccs or one with 1 ccs and 1 chademo....

You're missing my point so let's agree to disagree.

I think the main issue with many drivers at the moment is that Chademo is still being supported and far from abandoned.

ICE car drivers looking in from the outside will start using the argument that standards are changing too fast for them to make the jump and that is probably the worst case scenario all around

For that reason alone all chargers should have the 2 DC heads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭innrain

I remember a question from back in primary school.

Every day, a water lily is doubling its surface on a lake. After 9 day it covers half of the lake's surface. How many days are needed to cover the entire lake.

Using % don't express the sheer imbalance of the two, currently and for the years to come. Maybe a picture will help.

How do you think this graph will look at the end of next year? CCS took off in Ireland in 2019 with the arrival on the "modern" EVs. It needed just another year (as Johnny says) to surpass the contender. I reckon next year there will be another 20k-25k CCS to be conservative, and nearly none of the other one. Do I say don't install CHAdeMO? No, but plan ahead. Ask the supplier how difficult is to convert in the future, should you wish to. Better install chargers that allow either one on a side. Play with proportions. There is no new CHAdeMO business coming, but as the cars age the business gets reduced in time. Would I put my money in a company who doesn't look at these? Def no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ICE car drivers looking in from the outside will start using the argument that standards are changing too fast for them to make the jump

You honestly think ICE car drivers are even remotely aware of the charging plug standards in EV's?

And when they do eventually start to take note, they'll notice that 90% of cars have CCS, and that that's the adopted EU charging standard.

Standards aren't changing 'Too Fast" They already changed a long time ago....... (edit: a quick look at innrain's graph confirms this)

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

The data shows that the market has moved on and that CHAdeMO is no longer a viable charging connector in Ireland and has been abandoned by it's main support as shown by the choice to use CCS on the Ariya. This shouldn't be news to you as you were involved in the conversation on another thread.

We are in a hockey stick adoption curve. The number of EVs on the road is doubling roughly every 18 months, infrastructure installed today needs to serve the next 5 years of vehicles. By asking for dual chargers to be deployed in a 1+1 configuration you are reducing the availability of chargers for the vast majority of drivers. At least if you were asking for a 2+1 config you'd be covering the legacy abandoned fleet, without adversely affect future customers.

People will be in a situation where they are queuing for a charger whilst there is an empty CHAdeMO connector waiting for one of those rare customers to show up. I don't want that to be the case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People will be in a situation where they are queuing for a charger whilst there is an empty CHAdeMO connector waiting for one of those rare customers to show up. I don't want that to be the case.

I've already seen this situation occur in Kilcullen on more than 1 occasion.... 2 cars Charging on CCS on the 150kW & 50kW units, while another 2 CCS cars waited for their turn.... all the while the CHAdeMO on the 150kW unit lay idle.... And this is what ESB eCars calls a hub.

It's nearly 2023 and ESB eCars still only have 1 (one) multi unit site where there are more CCS than CHAdeMO plugs... and in 1 felled swoop, Applegreen blew that 1 (one) site out of the water with it's new Ballymount site.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Kilcullen was used as an example recently of poor installation but this was misinterpreted as CHAdeMO hate.

The 150kW charger there has 1 CCs and 1 CHAdeMO on each side (2x 75kW when 2 cars plugged in). All they had to do was have CCS + CHAdeMO on the CHAdeMO side and it would never come up in conversation. Poor specifications leading to lost revenue and pissed off customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Are there any charger units that can have three cables and any 2 of the 3 be in use at a time? If not, then at least having a CCS/Chademo unit that load shares means that the CCS has higher power when the Chademo isn't in use.

Advertisement