Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CHAdeMO v CCS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's enough Chademo plugs available already to service the current fleet and that Chademo fleet will most likely not add many more cars over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's absolute bo11ox, there isn't enough DC chargers to service any particular fleet in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you drive a leaf you're driving an outdated tech. There are pro rata too many chademo chargers compared to CCS per capita right now (2:2 at most HPC installs, despite an >8:1 sales ratio).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

No chademo on new esb chargers according to EV summit today, from 2024...

• Advertisement

It's a sad day when an electric car is considered "outdated tech"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The writing has been on the wall for CHAdeMO in Europe since the 2014 Alternative fuels directive. Nissan choosing not to update the car with CCS support when they added type-2 was a bad idea. Innovators (the first 2.5%) and Early Adopters (the next 13.5%) often get burnt with technology choices, if they aren't prepared to be burnt, they shouldn't get into the market until the market winner has emerged.

Plenty of electric cars, including the Tesla Roadster first gen are outdated tech. As are any of the prior EVs like the EV1, the ranger EV, the first Rav4 Ev that all used inductive paddle chargers and that standard is now obsolete too. CCS is the standard and has been for nearly 10 years ago now. Chademo is this generation's digital video disc, betamax, etc. A dead standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

The not so sad news, for CHAdeMO users, is that EasyGo are installing Tritium which are 1:1 CHAdeMO/CCS. They installed way more than ESB lately and they announced more to come. 200 if you believe the last press release.

Yes if you want to pay 1.5X the ecars rate, and rely on single point of failures in most locations, easygo are there to the rescue!

• Advertisement

Never had an issue with easygo chargers and the rates aren't 1.5X

That's ionity

Yes they do generally seem to work. I use the chargers on the M4/M6 junction (before the SuC came in) and also the one in Athy with some regularity.

After all the price changes it's hard to keep up. It used to be 1.5X, now it's more like 1.2 times.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

CHAdeMO usage is about where CCS usage was 18 months ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ecars have already confirmed no new chademos from 2024

So at their rollout rate, the very next CHAdeMO equipped unit they rollout could well be their last...

Less Chademo means more EVs on the back of recovery trucks... Is that really a good thing?

Your logic fails. Why would someone with a chademo car drive to a charger that is listed as CCS only on the app?

Because it was once a chademo supported location and not everybody religiously checks apps with stations they are familiar with. Some don't even check apps

You'd be surprised with some people as well, I had an elderly man in a Citroen C-Zero at J14 a few weeks back unsure as to why he couldn't plug into the CCS charger and pay with a credit card

I helped and got him setup only to find that he was also plugging in on 90% SOC

Dealers have a lot to answer for in explaining things I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well we can reset the "Days without a Chademo Vs CCS argument" to zero again

Had a good run there, I think we nearly got over a month 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Do I need to break out the graphs again? Applegreen stats are interesting actually. Very very very little CHAdeMO usage on them at all. Though they're mostly CCS AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sorry to open this wound, from Facebook

Hi all, we have a 2015 leaf. We drove from clare to clifden for a week camping, which we do every year. It didn't occur to me to check to see if the chademo charger had been removed from clifden, it has. Replaced with a unit with two ccs chargers and no type 2 option. We called the esb abs they said chademo is "redundant" and being phased out of the public network. . We are very stuck. Screwfix don't have granny chargers in stock so wondering does anybody know where in the area we could buy or borrow a granny charger , or any suggestions. We did manage to charge in the local hotel but we had to buy a 50 euro voucher and told that was a one time thing, as its for residents only. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭joe1303l

A Nissan Dealer in Galway should be able to help for a fee.

Mid year sales figures are out;

Counting only the top 10 BEV's of 2023,

Total sales 11,255 of which 455 are Nissan Leaf's, giving CHAdeMO a market share (within the top 10 only) of 4.04%

I had 2 chademo sessions yesterday for the first time in yonks. Once at the Easygo in Naas Starbucks and once at the circle k on the m9j5.

Memories! Like plugging in an old VHS tape of a family reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I always found the clock of the Chademo plug going in very satisfying, made it seem like some piece of industrial machinery

It's almost matched by the frustration when the plug won't click in properly and the charger won't start

It's still a bit nicer than CCS I have to admit. Last year I had to help a guy in an E-tron to start the charger because the cable was under a bit of tension and caused the handshake to fail.

I did Bjorn's trick of holding the plug in place while the other guy started the charger and it worked. Probably saved that guy a bit of worry

I do feel like the mechanical locking system of Chademo probably would stop that happening

Anyway, doesn't matter since CCS won. At least until we all change over to NACS

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Just realised my numbers are incorrect, as Nissan numbers now need to be broken down to the Leaf & the Ariya.... so the ratio is even lower for poor old CHAdeMO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

there are more models out there than just the leaf that can use the Chademo standard. While the leaf would be the majority lets say 7k+ (if not that it would be pretty close to it)

i would say there would be easily 8k approx if not higher if you include other models.

In any case, yes new DC locations need to be CCS and these need to in hubs rather than single units. However existing Chademo should be retained to cater for the existing fleet that is out there.

What other full BEV models exist?

Isn't there a Lexus that uses CHAdeMO? Anything else?

That lexus uses CCS1 in NA currently so they will probably change it in europe too. You could also import a JDM bmw I3 and it would have chademo. Beyond that you're looking at phevs (who shouldnt use DC anyway) and even the toyota mirai FCEV has a chademo port in. the boot - but it's meant for V2H.

Older Model S/X would have DC Type 2 sockets but many would have chademo adapters as well. Most PHEVs only use slow charging Type 1 or 2 but the Mitsubishi Outlander also has Chademo.

Anything that gets imported as a second hander from Japan will have Chademo as well. I think it's highly possible that Japan will become the new UK for car imports in years to come with the cheese for automobiles deal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't see why we should be maintaining any kind of infrastructure to serve the needs of dumping cars here from the Japanese market. It will be interesting to see how that's handled in the future, I doubt we'll see people doing CCS upgrades to the car as part of the import process.

Advertisement