Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

If you read my posts, you surely would notice that I mention not only Ukraine, but Russia and others, in the root causes of this conflict. Again, Feb 24 2022 and the months since then is the ultimate manifestation of many years of neglect by all sides when dealing with Ukraine, including Ukraine themselves. Primarily, Russia and NATO led by US have an awful lot to answer for. They could not care less about Ukraine nor its citizens, only its geographical location. Is there something wrong with what I just said? Surely it must be obvious to most reasonable people that this conflict is a lot more complex than simply saying: it's all Russia's fault, 100%. This is a crazy stance to take, it is unfair and absolves people of their accountabilities.

If people are happy to grab their info from the likes of Facebook or twitter, BBC or CNN and not go any further except maybe RTE and the journal, then they're limiting themselves. There's plenty out there to research. I'm not trying to shut anyody down, or dismiss them as being intelectually and morally inferior to me just because I disagree with them. It's actually filthy behaviour and it's done on here regularly, and then expect you to get into a cat fight with them thinking they are the smart ones. I wonder does that type of tactic work with them in the real world when face to face with actual live human beings? Best of luck with that.

Now I'm sure someone in particular is going to come on here and throw a 'whataboutery' jibe or something like that, well really...it's boring, immature and dismissive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

No trolling tonight please JL555

No off topic covid nonsense please Adversarial

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Moderation is not a matter for discussion on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Right now this is an isolated incident but for how long I wonder? These remote provincial towns could always be relied upon to provide docile cannon fodder for Russian armies of the past.

Warning, graphic content!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the detonation of a tactical nuclear weapon is detected in Ukrainian territory, it will lead automatically to a full yield retaliatory strike on Russian primary targets by NATO land and sea launched nuclear ballistic missiles.

No it won't. The far more likely scenario is a conventional military response as has already been indicated by American officials. It will still be devastating.

Post edited by Podge_irl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wagner Group will still take a punt on putting him in a penal battalion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭amandstu

Indeed and more likely in my view the result of any such attack on Russia is a nuclear response from what is left of the Russian military on Nato targets.

Exactly as would probably happen if the roles were reversed.

If anyone wants to argue against that conventional opinion they can present their arguments.

In relation to Nuclear weapons, the key point is that their primary use is as a political weapon rather than a kinetic weapon. They are a threat and a warning. Their destructive power on cities is terrifying, and the size of the arsenals of the US and Russia is enough to cause millions of deaths and the effective end of those States, but the use of a single or a small number of nuclear weapons is very different.

The main use of tactical i.e. smaller yield weapons is to target military bases, airports and other areas with significant amounts of military equipment or large build ups of troops. But these things can also be effectively targeted with precision guided conventional weapons. If Russia has shown an inability to effectively use precision guided weapons, it is not clear how effectively they can deploy tactical nuclear weapons. They would get better and cheaper military results by continuing their conventional artillery campaign (if they can), and/or using their airforce more. A tactical nuclear weapon used on dispersed troops would kill maybe a few hundred, injure a few hundred more, and would make an area inaccessible for a number of weeks (with longer term environmental damage). This would be terrible for the individual soldiers and the environment, but in reality it isn't significantly worse than the deaths and environmental damage that is being done by the conventional war. Certainly, it would not stop the Ukrainians from fighting for their country.

In relation to strategic nuclear weapons, the Russians have no real reason to bomb Ukrainian cities. It would lead to massive deaths amongst a people who are considered by most Russians as their Slavic brothers, so it would be like if Ireland were to bomb Cardiff. That is aside from the fact that it would likely result in Russia losing China and India's support and for no real gain. The only reason for a strategic bombing apart from irrational motives (e.g. spite, insanity), would be the calculation that a strategic bombing with the threat of more to follow would cause Ukraine to negotiate. That's quite the gamble and based on what has happened so far, it is far from certain that Ukraine would surrender.

More importantly, however, is the impact of the threat of such weapons. The threat of tactical weapons can prevent large build ups of soldiers and weapons. They are forced to spread out to avoid creating a tempting target. This in turn reduces the capacity of the Ukrainians to prepare and conduct large scale offensives. The threat of strategic weapons is also an important part of the political arsenal i.e. it put forward as a reason for Ukraine to negotiate and for Europeans and the US to try to intervene with Ukraine.

If a single or small number of nuclear weapons of either type were used, there is a very real risk that it's military or strategic impact would be more significant than conventional weapons, but not so significant as to make any real impact on Ukraine's will or capacity to fight. As much as people like to believe that the risk of using a limited nuclear strike would result in disproportionate retaliation from NATO, the more realistic risk for Russia is that they would carry out such a strike, be condemned by the world (including China, India etc) but gain no significant advantage that could not have been achieved by conventional weapons. If they do this, the political threat of nuclear weapons will have dissipated.

So in my view, nuclear weapons are being used to their maximum effect at present. Their political power would be diminished if they are actually used in a small scale attack, and it would not achieve anything worth achieving for Russia or Putin. And, of course, Putin knows this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am still trying to work out what the Ukraine can do next in relation to the sham referendums. It will be interesting to see how the communities in those occupied areas react in the days ahead. Will we see an increase in partisan actions, that might be one way to test how Russia might respond.

Dan.

I am still trying to work out what the Ukraine can do next in relation to the sham referendums.

Continue ignoring them I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nothing really, Putin will announce in a few days they Russia now ,will possibly attempt to take more areas knowing once their in it's now Russia,

Ukraine needs a visit from from little blue men who can fly fast jets and bomb Russian positions 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Part of the Nord stream pipe has exploded near Denmark.

Very interesting turn of events.

Will also be interesting to see if Russia pays the pensions, rebuilds the houses, staffs the hospitals, keeps the electricity running etc!

Also if they try to conscript people from the occupied territories and press them into the Russian army, they might end up providing weapons to Ukranian partisans!

Not sure what difference it makes, seeing as Russia hasnt been pumping gas for some weeks now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don’t think the pipelines are that big of a deal. They weren’t being used. Russia wouldn’t sell and Europe didn’t really want to buy anyway. I don’t think it will be an escalation as the only person it benefits is Putin as he can go ranting and raving about the big bad West destroying unused pipelines to try and get the Russian population sign up to fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Already done in regards to conscription and they are used as cannon fodder by the Russian forces since pretty much day 1 (in many ways I expect the new recruits coming in will be used).

LONDON, April 4 (Reuters) - Military conscripts in the Russian-backed Donbas region have been sent into front-line combat against Ukrainian troops with no training, little food and water, and inadequate weapons, six people in the separatist province told Reuters.

One of the people, a student conscripted in late February, said a fellow fighter told him to prepare to repel a close-quarter attack by Ukrainian forces in southwest Donbas but "I don't even know how to fire an automatic weapon."

Well its different in Donbas where anyone still in the DPR/LPR controlled areas could reasonably be considered to be either pro Russian or at least not militantly pro Ukranian.

But yeah, looks like they will try to recruit in Zaporizhia and Kherson oblasts:

Risky move from the Russians!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Some videos on twitter of them counting blank votes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm surprised they're even trying for a patina of legitimacy. Why bother? It's not like the rest of the world buys the sham, bar the Mick Wallace Quislings of the world. I had just assumed the vote would close, silence descended... then what-a-surprise! 95% want to join Russia, but please don't ask for the tallies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Clearly spoilt votes would be the ones that voted NO. Add in the votes cast in Russia itself, and there you have it - overwhelming support.

• Advertisement

There is no wrong answer on Russian ballot paper,it's usually

A- Putin.

B- Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

There was an interesting Twitter thread saying it - like its Soviet predecessors - is considered part of the performative psychological theatre of annexation.

Force some people to vote. Some people vote "yes" because of threats & what's the point in not when they will be falsified anyway, then afterwards the Russians have a "well, you voted for it - or you know in your heart that at least some people did vote for it" - it slightly blurs the lines in the occupied territories & forces the local population to participate in a deliberately humiliating act.

So the audience for the referendums is not third parties - it's more the victims of the annexation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

More than 260,000 Russians have fled since Vladimir Putin announced partial military mobilisation following serious battlefield defeats in Ukraine, according to Western officials and the country’s independent media.

Some estimates now put the number who have gone into exile since the invasion in February at 400,000.

The independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta Europe, now banned in Russia, reported that officials in Moscow have acknowledged 261,000 have left Russia in just four days.

All going as per the plan; Putin never wanted them because they are all cowards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I'm only aware of one that could be considered as you call it "pro Putin" although personally I saw the discussion as balanced that thread was in the conspiracy theory forum and it was shut down.

Could you point me to any other supposed pro-Russian threads?

Balanced,

If you live in an alternative reality.

Threads opened by low level posters who make a single post then run away only to see multiple other low level posters support the op post , followed by a few randomers telling us how they putin for standing up to the "Man" followed by America did this and America did that.

Yeah balanced

Treating Russian (dis)information as equally credible, and treating Russian aggression as equally valid to Ukrainian defence is not "balanced". People appear to deeply misunderstand the term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's a Russian youtube account (he talks in English) that I watch sometimes just to get an idea what the pro-Kremlin propagandists are saying. In almost every video you'll get people with Western names absolutely gushing about his content and thanking him for his "balanced outlook".

I think they confuse balance with counter-balance. They perceive the "Western" media to be massively biased against Russia so all a guy has to to is parrot the fantastical lies of the Russian Military of Defence and pro-Russian bloggers to be perceived as "balanced".

Advertisement