Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

As I think Pixelburp is losing the will to live I thought I'd point out that you're quoting the final clause in a long sentence, out of context to score a point of the poster.

It's clear from the full sentence that they are saying that SF is a poisoned and toxic brand to those ancapaill speaks of. That is very different to the dishonest interpretation you gave.

The DUP are pushing themselves to the political margins but the fact is, to those ancapaill speaks of, the DUP for now are the choice of those unionists, while also being those that need be persuaded towards their own best interest and away from the ledge - and no matter how it's spun, SF is a poisoned brand that'll never be a valid choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh. This must be as tedious for others to read as it is to prosecute. Ok. Here we go. SF is a poisoned brand ... .. for the unionists currently voting for the DUP. Go back, reread what I said please. That no matter how much O'Neill sticks to her guns, they'll never get the nod purely down to long memories/grudges. Thus the DUP gets the nod currently cos even with STV, it still becomes an us or them choice. Even if that vote is causing economic self-sabotage. It's not bigotry, just habit, tradition, fear. For now, pending the Alliance making further inroads into the sectarian either-or. I don't call Unionists bigots, it's not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,506 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fair enough. I read that wrong. Apologies Pixel.

There is the UUP and Alliance. You are bending over backwards not to offend. Simple as. And that is always wrong. They need to own what they are voting for and others need to stop codding themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And you are bending over backwards to dismiss a demographic by their voting patterns. It's not simple, not when it comes to sectarian voting at all. As I said Bonnie, there are parallels to draw with our Marriage and Abortion referenda; we tried to bring those we could have dismissed as bigots and dinosaurs into the light; conversely, the 2016 US election basically Othered poor, white America as racists and "deplorables", and we got Trump. While in the UK, antagonising Brexit voters just kicked Sunk Cost into high gear and arguably that damned 52% that has cursed the UK.

Polarisation doesn't work. We'll never persuade everyone, obviously. But working on the family members, the edge cases as fundamentally reasonable people who simply fear something they were taught to fear, has more value than assuming it's as simple as "vote DUP? Probably bigots, feck em" attitude. Some are. Many aren't; can't turn ancapaill's family into Strawmen but their story won't be the only ones of that ilk - young generations tying to reach the older ones set in their ways, hostile to change and anything less than total, blind loyalty to the crown. As the saying goes, people learn prejudice, it isn't baked in.

Nobody stopping you Pixel...work away if you think it will achieve something.

I prefer to call a spade a spade tbh.

Basically everyone had a choice of party to vote for in NI, they continue to chose the DUP/TUV when there are others less extreme and more democratic, if you want to sugarcoat that and excuse it, work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Certainly some truth to that. The reality lies somewhere in the middle; some people certainly vote DUP because they're awful bigots who don't want a taig about the place, some do so because that is who they've always voted for, and some do because if they don't, then the alternative is a Shinner.

I understand the latter position all too well; I almost exclusively gave SF my first preference vote in Westminster elections when I still lived in the North (because it was more palatable to me than the alternative), even in the STV voting for Stormont, they always got a high preference despite them not representing my views very well at all; they just represented them better than any alternative likely to actually win a seat.

That being said, I wouldn't apply the same logic to Ancap's TUV voting relative unless they're in North Antrim and voting specifically for Jim Allister; the party are only about a few years so there goes the, 'always voted for them' angle.....and they're an electoral mess with awful transfers so unlikely to ever prevent a Shinner getting a seat. Only really leaves one reason to vote TUV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My Unionist relatives can vote how they want.

Tarring whole demographics with such a broad brush just isn't constructive. By the same logic, I can claim that since SF voters don't vote SDLP, they support Larry Adams. It works both ways.

Ultimately though, the double standard is what irks me. It's not acceptable for Unionist to wish to maintain hegemony in Northern Ireland but it is ok for Nationalists to want it in a United Ireland. Then, they get annoyed when Unionists see baleful comments such as Francie's above and then decide that being the big fish in a tiny pond is the way to go.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I was in the middle of adding an edit to my previous post when you replied, but rather than muddy the picture with editing the post you've quoted, I'll clarify what I meant in response go you directly.

Firstly, to be clear ANYONE can vote how they want, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to vote or indeed how they shouldn't vote.

I was explaining that I can entirely understand the reason that those who don't support the DUP vote for them (because they're the most likely option to prevent a SF alternative), I can understand how someone can vote for the DUP because they've always voted that way and don't give it much consideration. I can also understand the voting patterns from the other side favouring SF, despite not supporting them given that I did so myself for many years.

My phrasing was clumsy, and by no means meant to imply that I had any right to tell your family how to vote but more trying to say that while I can understand why someone would vote DUP or SF without the party necessarily being representative of how that person actually thinks and acts in every day life, outside of North Antrim's Jim Allister, it doesn't apply to voting TUV.

Because they're a pretty new party, the, 'I always voted for them' logic is out the window. Because they're transfer toxic and only have one MLA, they're more likely to get a Shinner in by splitting the Unionist vote than prevent it, so the, 'it is a vote against SF' logic is out the window too.

With that considered, it is entirely reasonable to suppose that someone outside North Antrim voting for TUV does so because they support what that party represents, whereas I've shown that doesn't necessarily apply to SF or the DUP. Let's be honest, the TUV is hardly a broad house when it comes to opinions and political positions; they largely represent highly socially conservative politics, and an outright dislike of anything Irish. While I'm sure there are exceptions, I can't think of a single reason for someone who is neither highly socially conservative nor anti-Irish to vote for them. That doesn't give me a right to say that people CAN'T vote for them, but it certainly provides some indication that person's values would substantially differ from mine in a way that voting for some other parties wouldn't.

TUV represent a specific niche extreme form of Unionism.....discussing specifically voting for them is by no means attempting to paint Unionism with a broad brush. Much like critically considering why people who vote for Saoradh do so would hardly be painting Nationalists with a broad brush.

Nowhere have I at any point stated that Unionism is invalid, nor have I argued for a hegemonistic Nationalist dominance over anyone in a United Ireland, so I think you're stretching things for a bit of a strawman there. Nor does dragging Francie's position in to push back against mine help you; my post specifically disagreed with Francie as well.

• Advertisement

My apologies. My response came across as quite aggressive when it wasn't intended as such.

H. H. Asquith

What kind of twisted logic is that?

SF are not asking the electorate to support Liam Adams.

The DUP asked their voters to endorse their deployment of a veto and the TUV never shut up about not nominating a SF FM.

You vote for them you own that.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"quoting the final clause in a long sentence, out of context to score a point of the poster."

Nah, that doesn't happen on the belligerent exclusionary nationalist side of the debate.

I am taking two points from this discussion, firstly, both Sinn Fein and DUP are extremely toxic to the other side. This has been clearly evident to me for quite a while and while some like downcow and FrancieBrady from opposite sides of the debate will try and deny one or other, that only copperfastens the belief around that.

Secondly, and this is the optimistic bit. It seems that there is a belief, maybe not shared but expressed in different ways, that some people are not DUP supporters but voted for them to keep SF out, and that some people are not SF supporters but voted for them to see a nationalist FM. One of the positive outcomes of a SF FM would be to see that boil burst and the toxic material flow away. Those voters who don't really support SF or DUP would realise that a nationalist FM is not such a big deal in the future and go back to voting for SDLP, Greens, Alliance, PBP and UUP. That would take an awful lot of heat out of the discussions and diminish the influence of the toxic sectarians.

Excuse. Sugarcoat. Spades-as-spades. You present as someone speaking plainly, but TBH it all reads like a hostile, transparent attempt to Other the other side for the purposes of cleaning your conscience from having to live with these people in the future. And in case you think I'm victimising you ... you see the exact same language from some re. Brexit voters. "Tough shít, own your mistake for voting X" - that has gone well, hasn't it? The mainland UK is such a rosy, inclusive place ATM because of this. Really sorting out a Brexit that works in the real-world. Easy to hug your allies; harder to sit with your enemies.

As I said, that language doesn't change minds, and if you're already that deep into reductionist thinking, we might as well ... ya know, agree to disagree. The irony in all this is that the party you fall over backwards to defend the honour of is showing more tact, nuance and inclusion towards the middling Unionist community ATM than you. Might be worth taking a leaf from your idol's own book. I hate SF and I hate DUP - but I don't hate those that vote for them. That'd make me petty and blind.

I can at least finally claim my badge for getting into a fight with FrancieBrady. Maybe I can get that when I collect my next cheque from Soros.

It's populism 101. It isn't enough that clearly, the dynamism, the youth and the intellectual force favour SF over the DUP. He has to add populism when it's not remotely necessary.

Step one, deny the individual. Pretend that they're in a bloc. Step two, judge said bloc by the absolute worst human refuse you can find. Step three, use step two as a justification for all sorts of hateful words and actions.

By this logic, a bit of Unionist gerrymandering pales in comparison to extortion, bombings and covering up child molesters when they're on the right side. Since this is what Nationalists actively want because they vote SF, Unionists are therefore justified in wanting to stay in the UK.

Of course, all of this is as insipid as it is hateful. I don't know why Francie has resorted to this. I thought better of him.

H. H. Asquith

Vice Versa what?

SF were not promoting a veto in their election campaign.

Ah do the usual thing that happens here. Introduce something that wasn't mentioned and have a rant about it.

I don't 'hate' anyone.

All I said was, if you are voting for a party whose primary campaign was a 'veto' then you own that veto.

They had a choice to vote for a Unionist party that had another option.

😁😁 Who is demeaning the voter now?

'You are not intelligent enough to make the choice of the best party to represent you, I'll (blanch) will decide for you' seems to be the subtext here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ah do the usual thing that happens here. Introduce something that wasn't mentioned and have a rant about it. Nonsensical twisting of my point to try and defend the belligerent exclusionary nationalist party.

My point is about understanding why people vote a certain way - to stop SF or to create a nationalist FM - and to conclude that once a nationalist FM has actually happened, those two reasons for voting fade away, and that could well lead to a further drop in support for both SF and DUP, which in my opinion, is a good thing.

Nothing in that about demeaning voters, that interpretation is all in your head.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile back on planet earth...

DUP: quick. We don't wanna recognise Irish. Let's collapse the Executive!

Westminster: you sure you wanna do that? We'll do it anyway, we did it already with abortion.

DUP: curry my yoghurt. Protocol protocol, Boris pinky sweared.

Westminster: yeah, about that.

First abortion, then the Irish language (plus Ulster Scots). The DUP. If they had brains they'd be dangerous.

Funny, I thought your point was to hope people voted for who you wanted them to vote for.

Nobody has a problem owning why they vote for SF. They know where SF have come from and don’t have to apologise to you.

Time the DUP voters and those who apologise for those voters did the same. Own what they have endorsed and stop trying to excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see Arlene shouting into the echo chamber again- https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1615301/Joe-Biden-Richard-Neal-IRA-Northern-Ireland-peace-protocol-EU-latest-news-Sinn-Fein/amp

The American intervention really riles the unionists up for some reason 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭rock22

Would you agree that Ian Paisley, in speeches and actions in attacking democratic activists was also a terrorist?

And if you do agree, is that not another reasom not to vote for the DUP ?

Where did I advocate voting for the DUP? Quote please.

H. H. Asquith

This conversation started with you pondering why your relatives have an incoherent kneejerk reaction to the Protocol and the situation they find themselves in.

Your answer to an examination of that seems to be 'but Nationalists.....'.

Imagine if somebody did that when Nationalists motives/reasons are examined?

There are reasons your relatives react the way they do and they are not excused by the actions of others,

And you responded with your usual baseless nonsense. If you'd like to provide some evidence for this, please do so. Otherwise, there isn't much point as you keep moving the goalposts.

H. H. Asquith

There go the goalposts again.

Nothing then. Let's leave it there.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

You set the goalposts by asking for 'evidence'. Simple question, what is it you are looking evidence for?

Advertisement