Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The EU is waiting for the UK to stop punching itself in the face before it leaves its corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It would be extraordinary if the Tory rebels vote it down.

What happens when you attempt to appease belligerents. The pickle Johnson finds himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

There is a school of thought that this will be solved by the imminent return of the UK to the single market. It is the only apparent way to keep both the Irish border open, and remove checks of goods between NI and GB. This has been said since 2016 however, so the penny is taking a long time to drop.

Jeffery flat out lying to the HoL's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The UK government says it is not "currently considering" copying European Union plans for a common charging cable.

The EU has provisionally agreed all new portable electronic devices must, by autumn 2024, use a USB Type-C charger, a move it says will benefit consumers.

Under the current post-Brexit arrangements, the regulation would apply to Northern Ireland, according to EU and UK officials.

According to the a December 2021 parliamentary report, the "new requirements may also apply to devices sold in Northern Ireland under the terms of the Northern Ireland protocol in the Brexit agreement, potentially triggering divergence of product standards with the rest of the UK".

From the BBC... Will this be the next DUP battleground... A British iPhone will be different to an (Northern) Irish iPhone...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

Something else to latch onto so they can avoid going into government with a Sinn Fein FM. Meanwhile the ILA is getting enacted over their heads.

From sausages to iPhones. Paisley must be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They won't get a choice. The EU standard will be the defacto standard.

I see Jeffrey was out again this evening complaining a out Dublin being "tone-deaf to Unionist concerns about the Protocol".

Unionism is exhausting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even if we squint really, really hard and consider him to be telling his truth, that just makes him stunningly naive - or stupid. Funny how that keeps happening with the DUP. Maybe he genuinely thinks it's just black market petrol and fireworks that crosses the border?

The narrative that the British are honest brokers with regard to this island and now the EU must be in tatters. Fascinating account of a nation going rogue linked by Tony Connelly/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see the DUP have spoken today from Belfast, now what this means i don't know but i think goods should still be checked from mainland UK into Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭combat14

time for trade war shortly btw uk and eu if brits keep going the way they are headed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard it reported that Simon Coveney proclaimed today that Ireland will not be collateral damage in the row between the UK Brexiteers and the EU: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0613/1304429-ni-protocol-legislation/

I burst out laughing, what sort of utter gobshytes does he take the Irish public for??????????????

It's been obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in history & geography, that from the day of the Brexit referendum - Ireland would be and will be collateral damage of Brexit.

What sort of magic powers does our Simon have? Can he teleport our beloved island and drop it in the North or Baltic Sea or in the Med??

For making rubbish statements like that, he should be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Angler1

No action needed from the EU. Boris has to get this through House of Commons and House of Lords. Then he has to trigger the changes. Lots of twists and turns still outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

What should he have said instead do you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

This situation highlights some seriously sinister and suspicious activity concerning Britain and America's ongoing "concern" for other European affairs such as the situation in the Ukraine, where these two corporatocracies have been the most active and vocal parties involved through shipments of arms to prolong the conflict in order to bolster the security of Ukraine and as they have put it, to bolster the security of wider Europe as a whole. Here we have one of these corporatocracies based in London, actively trying to destabilize another European nation right beside its borders, and another one based in Washington who seemingly couldn't give a monkeys arse about the situation whatsoever.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

I find it interesting that you're more interested in attacking Coveney than Johnson, the latter being the creep who's actively working to destabilise a working agreement and British-Irish relations along with it. For that, Johnson most certainly should be fired. Coveney, on the other hand, is espousing the consistent position of the Irish government, who've been put in a difficult position with Brexit and one they never asked for. One which they even negotiated a solution on, nevertheless. The Irish government has acted in good faith on this. The British government has not. Of all the things to criticise Coveney (speaking on behalf of the Irish government), this issue is not one, so away with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This is not gonna end well :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It appears to be an unsolvable problem. I mean you have to have border checks on goods and people like between the US and Canada or the US and Mexico. Yet we can't go back to having check points splitting our island. No wonder it has been fudge after fudge after kick it down the road.

There's one very clear and obvious solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's all bull,you ring customs here for advice on bringing truck load in from uk ,and they tell you, just drive it in through the north, no checks, then drive it down to south.

It's 2022 and Ireland has still not suffered any collateral damage, yet you want to laugh at its politicians for being inept, while dealing with the UK PM who has put a border inside his own country, something he said no PM could ever do?

The common trait of everyone like you is the relentless imaginings of "any day now" while ignoring the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He could have said something along the lines that 'Brexit has many negative consequences for Ireland, for both the Republic that I represent and also the people in Northern Ireland, that we have taken collateral damage, are taking collateral damage and that we wish to minimise this collateral damage in the future'.

That would be an honest statement. But listen to him on the news - the bould Simon on his soapbox 'Ireland WILL NOT be the collateral damage blah blah'. As if he or we have much control over what happens. How does he propose to deliver this?? He's failed already in that out traditional supply chains via the UK have been greatly discommoded, anyone who does business with/ imports goods from the UK has to jump through hoops and has been collateral damage. The Irish consumer is collateral damage.

It's political jingoism in the same league as Boris.

I'm failing to understand the difference between the two statements?

If anything Coveney is not being critical enough. He needs to stop the sugar coating and fawning and be more forthright in his criticism of the British and Unionist axis. MLMD made more impact on the British electorate and British body politic at the weekend than Coveney has.

It's pretty obvious that Coveney is saying Ireland won't just give up and accept being collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Why would you want to maintain or increase business with + reliance on a neighbour that definitely wishes us ill now, after all that has happened in UK/Irish relations since 2016?

How you can attribute what has happened to some "failure" by our politicians (like Coveney who you sneer at) is something I can't understand, unless you think Ireland should have trotted out of the EU after UK in 2016 like a good little nodding dog. It was the UK and their govt. + its freely made choices that disrupted those economic links and traditional supply chains of course, but it is probably for the best now.

We are still very, very exposed to the UK unfortunately + potential for future political instability there, or hostile acts towards Ireland to try and undermine the EU.

edit: In the current UK strategy (if followed through to the end by tearing up the NI protocol), we are not "collateral damage" as I understand that term - hurting us, and through Ireland and NI, getting at the EU, is the whole objective of it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'm pretty far from a Fine Gael fan myself, but I'm really struggling to see how your proposed statement is so different in substance from the actual statement to warrant such a strong reaction as yours.

The rhetoric of, 'we will not' is easily understood as a statement of strong opposition rather than a specific plan of action surely?

• Advertisement

Can we get the thread title changed, finally? Ms. Truss prefers to call it the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Advertisement