Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’re already at that! I knew this would happen (a blind man in a sandstorm could see it coming)- they’re not going to risk a morsel of the FTA to placate a bunch of paddies for 5 mins. And I can’t blame them. Looking forward to the DUP reaction

I wouldn’t be surprised if BoJo went over extolling the benefits of the protocol- anything is possible with him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,749 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d pay money to see a live stream of sammy Wilson’s reaction where he loses his last remaining mind. I mean Boris Johnson at the end of the day is in it for himself and despite the DUP been thrown under the bus multiple times will be thrown under it again if needs be.

Was in England during the week with work at a chemical factory- humming with trucks and activity back and forth between Europe - does anyone seriously think they’re going to risk this kind of economic activity? People that think they’re going to just rip up the FTA need smelling salts quite frankly

BoJo has already said he’s throwing them under one (again) tomorrow. He ain’t going over to rip it up which is what they thought was going to happen from all their language and rhetoric. Frost led them a merry tune and they gleefully followed

• Advertisement

Now he’s going to pressure them into the double indignity of accepting Michelle oneill (quite rightly) as FM as well as doing nothing on the NIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,749 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the DUP clearly can’t take the hint because there like a dog who’s been kicked and keeps coming back to the person who kicked them.

Indeed. They can’t be thrown under the bus enough. But that’s their problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

To be fair, they'll probably see the only way out is to keep refusing to form an executive and let the bus keep reversing over them for the next 6 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They're fools for being taken in by Boris Johnson, and as sure as eggs are eggs, the DUP will huff and demand answers or changes and that Westminster do them a solid. We don't know where this will go but as is usual, the DUP is Charlie Brown with the football

• Advertisement

As predictable as drizzle in Kerry they fall for it every time. The FTA is too important to risk. I think people here underestimate that. U.K. business would be in uproar

I guess the climb down from the hill the tories have marched them up will be “the protocol needs changes” instead of the unilateral scrapping they were baying for until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Exactly this. In reality the bus will be driving over the unionist electorate while DUP MPs and MLAs collect their pay, will have generous pensions to look forward to, and no doubt all have private healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Apologies Post deleted Didn’t realise which thread I was in

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Jamie is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,419 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Now isn't that an interesting statement from Hilary Benn.

"“I have become convinced the idea there should be export health certificates on a cake, sandwich, or a cut of meat crossing the Irish sea to be sold in Derry, Belfast or Strabane really isn’t necessary."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Is there ever a topic you don't land in on the DUP/British side, Blanch? For a man who claims to dislike them as much as he dislikes SF, it's amazing how often you land on their side of the debate.

Is it just a need to be on the opposite side to the Shinners that lands you on whatever position you take up?

It is only right and proper that Hilary Benn would argue for arrangements that offer even more favourable terms for the British.....it would be odd for someone in Ireland to argue in support of a position which risks the integrity of the Single Market that we are part of.

Ultimately Britain has made its Brexit bed, the EU has given them a free mattress with a trade deal that offers more compromises than they have for any other territory. Maybe they should lie in it for a while instead of insisting that the EU gives them a bungalow to put that bed in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,999 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Appease belligerent Unionism at whatever cost to the island is the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

A similar twitter page (its not a parody page either believe it or not) run by a FG counciller in Dublin McManus would have the same opinions on everything (anti SF)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is there a point you'd like to make beyond dumping a quote and a link?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well taking quote in the hard vacuum of space, she is (somewhat) correct.

Ensuring this is avoided would require UK to row back a bit from the ultra-Brexit + giving the EU a two finger salute, and commit to some sort of permanent alignment wth the EU/Single Market standards on likes of agriculture, environment & food.

This would prevent some of the boasting about "trade deals" that the Tories like to do to sell Brexit because it would limit what UK is able to offer others and it would limit ability of the UK to lower standards and remove regulation which the Tory party seem to have a deep ideological commitment to, whatever British public might wish.

Ireland is not going to up set up barriers between us and the rest of the EU to suit their Brexit. If they can't force a no strings access to the whole Single Market via NI and an open border with Ireland, that seems to be what the UK govt. could be trying to engineer here as an alternative next-best outcome IMO [if they push ahead and fiddle with the NI protocol] but I can't see it happening.

The Tory party have possibly become high on their own farts and pipedreams now, I think it happens when you make lies and spin too much of a habit. It's a part of all politics perhaps but you are in trouble when that it is all there is and it crowds out all substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

While I was critical of Blanch in my response, a key bit of context for the quote is that it is from Hilary Benn; he is a generational Labour Party veteran (the son of Tony Benn), he was a strong Remain proponent and a vocal supporter of a second referendum on Brexit. He was also responsible for the Benn act which forced Boris to seek a further extension to prevent No Deal.

He certainly can't have the accusation of, 'Tories high on their own farts and pipedreams' levelled at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, I know that, sorry (though I did not know (s)he was a "remainer").

edit...on a reread shoud clarify there, I knew it was a Labour politician's quote that was posted (had seen it elsewhere) but not noticed that it was in fact a "he" this time!...my well upness on details of UK politics is shallow I suppose).

In the last bit was referring solely to the Tory party & the element that is pushing hard to wreck the NI Protocol and what seems to be their strategy (such as it is) - not that quote.

I expect even if some of the Labour party were pro-Brexit, things would be alot different were Labour in power.

There would not be this desire to go full speed ahead in opposite direction from the EU (as well as start fresh rows with the EU and undermine it when & where possible), which tugs at the connections linking GB and NI-Ireland and makes everything so much worse.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It’s probably not helpful that Blanch didn’t really leave any interpretation as to the point being taken from the article. That the Protocol has led to the imposition of less practical and less commercial conditions for NI trading is not really in contention, so it’s hard to see what the really noteworthy thing to take from Benn’s view is. Much has been made in commentary about how the Protocol gives NI the “best of both worlds” but the plainer reality seems to be that, while the “both worlds” bit remains somewhat (and only somewhat) true — it seems like a crappier, more complicated and uncertain version of both worlds, rather than the best.

But those who understand the real world eventualities of forcing an unhappy marriage of Brexiteer mythology and logical reality know well that the Protocol is the only way forward — and so it is a case of making it work as best as it can. What Hilary Benn is talking about here is the improvement of the Protocol, not unilateral repudiation. Improvements are possible but unfortunately the British government is approaching this with belligerence and threats of unilaterally scrapping the Protocol. It’s Brexiteer bluster and it only makes it less palatable for their counterparts in the EU to be seen to cave in.

Benn only seems to be pointing out the practical deficiencies of the Protocol which undoubtedly exist, but I don’t think he is either tacitly endorsing the Tory behaviour on this, nor is he hitting an ideological note in line with the DUP that the Protocol is de-Britishing NI.

It will get harder and harder for Jeffery and the DUP/TUV to lie about the facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh they're not lying. This is exactly what they're terrified of that they'd rather Northern Ireland burn with the rest of the Brexit UK. I suspect the subtext is well understood in the heartlands the DUP are speaking to. The key is making sure this information is shared and publicised so moderates can read beyond the DUP spin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Speaking from experience, I've had relatives describe the protocol as a disaster. No idea why, no thoughts on what should replace it and no grasp of why its necessary save for some mumbled nonsense about caving in to the EU.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'll have to gracefully disagree with you; it's never hard for belligerent Unionists to lie.

No idea why,

Quite simply it's a kneejerk reaction to abstract feelings of dispossession and rejection. They know they have been pushed aside and can't fathom why, they know the days of being the designated (by partition) top dogs are over too.

A coming to terms with all that will happen. Those supporting the UUP and who have departed to the Alliance have already come to terms, more to follow.

• Advertisement

It was my Dad and my aunt. She's voted for TUV but also remain in 2016.

I think your post is unfair. I think most people just vote the same way they always have, especially when they're older.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement