Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While noting that a FG Minister of State is responsible for the park, the Greens are in Government because of transfers and because FF and FG thought they'd be easier to manage than rural independents.

People who voted for other parties gave them second and third preferences because sure everyone could see the need for policies which helped the environment.

But I think many people didn't realise how many a**holes they had in their ranks. They have a incredible knack for annoying people. That tweet from Cuffe is just pure trolling and he'd be better off focusing on his job in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They are there to make up the numbers. No other reason.

I like the idea of them. But their people have not delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well this has been a complete and utter waste of time and I believe has made things more dangerous as I'm now seeing overtaking manoeuvres regularly. This was not common before. Impatient drivers behind those going the speed limit.

Changing a sign when people didn't even obey the 50kmh speed limit let alone 30kmh was always going to fail. The infrastructure must change.

Someone please tell me why there aren't more pedestrian crossings? I have to wait for a gap in cars to cross main roads as there's no designated spots to do this. Absolutely ridiculous.

This is the problem with allowing through access, people rushing to get through the park rather than the park being the destination

The problem is being tone deaf to any needs other than your own.

The only way to know you've got widespread support, is just do it, and see what reaction is.

That's what opw does. Breaks things and see who complains loudest.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Cuffe the fake green, made his millions from oil and chemical shares.

He took a trip to Brazil to see how their "dublin bike" worked years after ours was in place, he said a DCC worker couldn't go so he went instead, he had nothing to do with it but said to me, the "ticket was already paid for and he wasn't adding any extra expenses" so it was a DCC paid holiday. He is a hypocrite of the highest order.

He was that foolish early on in his MEP gig that he tweeted a few times of him getting a taxi to Dublin Airport for one of his weekly flights to Brussels, he was home every weekend sometime twice per week!! Shyster

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Indeed.

A tw@t and a hypocrite his whole political life.

And no Da Cor, his point does not stand, nobody needs to hear his preaching to grown men and women. Let him wait and see the outcome of the trial like everybody else.

Were the cyclists not in the designated cycle lane?

Umm, are you not aware that the speed limit change is permanent?

The access changes are the temp actions for 9 months, the speed limit change is permanent. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how the press release stated it.

You'll also be pleased to note that they have added 40 additional parking spaces with plans for another 70. Bike parking spaces that is.

There are plans to look at car parking requirements too but that will take longer.

I am aware that the speed limit change is permanent.

I'm also aware that the only temporary speed limit order allowed under the Road Traffic Act, is for roadworks.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the limit of 30 will be permanent until it is changed to a new permanent limit of 50 on the Avenue, after the end of all trial measures.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if it will change back: I think it more likely that 30 becomes the standard across all Dublin city like it is across most London boroughs now (20mph)

Yeah moves are already underway for this. Last I heard was the approach was going to be 30k by default and only 50k by exception and exceptions would need to meet specific criteria to qualify as suitable for exception. I've no idea what stage this is at though so no timelines yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Suv drivers exempt to the 50k

In the UK and London there is strict enforcement and speed cameras are everywhere. Tbh its been like that for over a decade and it's only getting more strict. Drivers are paranoid about cameras there. That's before you start mentioning LTNs.

We are in the stone age compared to the UK with this stuff. You can't compare our public transport system either. Ours is like something the rest of Europe had 30 yrs ago.

Look how slow we are with eBikes and eScooters. Just glacial.

We are not copying London. We are pretending to copy London. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I haven't been to the park in 2 years but need to go tomorrow - to Farmleigh House. I'd usually come from the direction of Auburn Ave Castleknock, in the Castleknock gate down Chesterfield Ave and turn right at the roundabout onto Ordnance Survey Road - have some of these roads changed to a one way system - as google maps is sending me on a big loop to get to Farmleigh but I can't see anything online to this effect?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Auburn+Ave,+Castleknock,+Dublin/Farmleigh+House+%26+Estate,+White's+Road,+Phoenix+Park,+Dublin+15/@53.3641821,-6.356008,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670d6a665880e5:0x2573949ce4bc98b2!2m2!1d-6.3585371!2d53.3765073!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670d3da5055555:0xfe998152b0e8ccb3!2m2!1d-6.3597857!2d53.3651921!3e0

You can just go your normal route.

I was having the same problems with Google maps yesterday. Seems to think you can't drive in the park. Send in an report and they will fix it

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's always funny, and extremely common, to see how irrational people get when it comes to how they feel downtrodden and harshly treated because they think car drivers are an abused segment of society just because of the Green Party, which often have no hand in what they're crying about.

It's even more funny that they think things will change if/when they're out of government.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've noted the same, Google Maps will continue directing me out the nearest gate(s) from when I enter the park rather than to go straight down Chesterfield Avenue (which I do anyway).

Neither google maps nor Waze direct me though the park to get from islandbridge to the motorway even though it’s the fastest route. I always assumed that there had been an instruction to google and Waze from the authorities to try to avoid directing people down Chesterfield. It only routes me through when I am literally at the gates

(I know you can make that request to google as relatives of mine living in a Cotswold village did it successfully)

• Advertisement

Just because there's little support doesn't mean it won't go ahead. There was little support for 30k limits in estates when that was first introduced.

The 30k limits are coming

30k limits are tokenism here. We don't enforce them.

Its only doing this very recently. It has always shown me routes though the park previously.

Even now it still does. But only the side roads that ironically are now not possible. But it's avoiding Chesterfield. It's like someone has flagged the main road as closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think anyone is blaming the Greens for what's going on in the park, just observing that Ciaran Cuffe is being a bit of a d*ck about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My dad's car was completely smashed to pieces by a driver 30ish years ago In the park. He was in a coma for a month and hospital for 2 He was lucky to be alive.

A child was killed in the north road 7 years years ago.

A man killed in 97 too.

A cyclist knocked down in September.

A car overturned there after hitting another in 2018.

There was a 3 car collision in front of the ambassador/Aras in 2016

So it's not immune to accidents.

Slowing down cars is not what will cause accidents. People being arseholes/dangerous is what will cause accidents.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, we don't really enforce any road traffic laws to any beneficial extent.

In terms of the 30km/h limit not being safe to drive, etc. - if you listened to or read about the Oireachtas Transport Committee yesterday, you'd have heard Lorraine D’Arcy from TUD make the case for 30km/h limits and how roads are overdesigned for the safety and convenience of people driving and not for all users.

An increasing focus on driver safety by car and road designers has had the unintended consequence of making roads less safe for pedestrians and other vulnerable road users, the Oireachtas transport committee has heard.

Lorraine D’Arcy, of the School of Transport Engineering, Environment and Planning at TU Dublin, was one of a range of expert speakers who said the State’s default speed limit should be 30km/h in built-up areas.

She said practices such as “overdesigning roads to increase driver comfort” and European ratings for cars which place an emphasis on the safety of those in the vehicle “have left communities dealing with an increased threat of larger and faster vehicles on their streets”.

Ms D’Arcy said residential streets “used to be places to congregate and play, main streets used to be meeting places and commercial hubs”.

She added: “Both are now becoming devoid of human interactions because of the dominance of the private vehicle. This not only has implications for local commerce, but also the health and wellbeing of our population.”

Ms D’Arcy said the measurement of safe streets should not be just how many people are killed or injured “but a multi criteria assessment that includes the number of people walking and cycling in an area”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

On the subject of further infrastructural change that might help enforce the 30km/h limit on Chesterfield Avenue.

As they have now painted a pair of white lines with the new rows of wands denoting the shoulder cycle lane, I think a third parallel line taking an equivalent amount off the driving lane on each side would be another low impact way to reduce the apparent lane width to make it easier for drivers to naturally regulate their speed.

Or multiple or wider white lines or hatching down the middle of the road? It would also make the driving lanes visibly narrower and cause drivers to naturally slow and/or think twice before aggressive overtaking while still allowing running races, etc to use the width of the road without having runners stumbling over a median/kerb. Or at least as much of the width as is left now after the installed cycle lane wands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Chesterfield Ave should never have been the through way that it is. Bus only. Traffic should have been directed around North Road and Upper Glen, and cars banned from Chesterfield except for access to US Embassy and Aras,

I am sure someone will tell me why this could not possibly have been considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's bizarre for two reasons 1) Chesterfield Ave is open (though, as some think, it might be flagged as closed) and 2) Upper Glen Road is closed but it's directing cars that route. I'll submit a report too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

With respect to Google Maps routing, check out going from the Mount Hybla Nursing Home (off White's Road) to Farmleigh by bike.

For bikes it sends you clockwise past Myo's and in through Castleknock Gates. For a car is send you down White's Road, through the (closed) gates.

I've been trying to get this latter route working for bikes but they reject my reports, presumably believing that bikes cannot get by the gates.

Advertisement