Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I dunno they seem to just decide to do something then get reigned in by political and public pressure. Rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Let's move the zoo!! Ah ha ha, crazy gang member I assume.

You can't say they don't have wild ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Makes a change from cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They have adjusted gates before, to suit cars. Why not do it again for buses?

Really? What's your issue with him? He's just reminding people that slowing down isn't that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Talking to a Park Ranger today, he said that it may well revert back to 50km as the amount of complaints and recorded issues is growing, the lack of enforcement is ridiculous and since the new bus route is parked as of now.

I'm put off going there for my daily walks now as I don’t live close enough to walk there, with a Prostechtic leg, and with 2 dogs I need to drive. I’ll find somewhere else as I really don’t need the stress of dealing with impatient idiots.

Is it no longer possible to drive and park there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think what the lady is saying, is that she'd like to drive there and observe the 30 km/h limit, but that it is not being observed by the vast majority and that makes for some impatient behaviour.

I'm not saying that's right by the way, clearly its not to be condoned but it's also clear 30 is not an appropriate speed limit.

I'd suggest she just do 50 like everybody else, I have the twice I've come through it since Monday and it was by far the prevailing speed and felt perfectly sedate and relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I really don't believe that.

Anyway, why is this nonsense thought that any changes to things like this is based on a popularity contest so prevalent on this thread? Is it people trying to convince themselves that a minute or two inconvenience to themselves is so hated by the general public that it's become an echo chamber? So much so that the factual comment as to the additional seconds it adds becomes a circle jerk of ranting against the Green Party, who have nothing to do with this.

It's not prevalent. In fact the majority on this thread are pro all the changes. However this forum isn't representative of the general public. We also know the public opinion has forced the OPW to roll back changes before. A lot of the time.

If the OPW want try all these things. Why not.

But this is a discussion forum. Where people express different opinions. You don't have to agree with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd be shocked if they roll back the 30 km limit. It might go completely ignored and totally unenforced but it will remain in place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are well over a thousand parking spaces around the park.

It is, but when trying to obey the new limit having people up the back of you and aggressively overtaking between the entrance and the first round about is frustrating and stressful and it’s just not worth it to me.

I usually find attending and driving in the park to be a peaceful enough experience, not so much now.

Your point? I’ve no issues with the amount of available parking. It’s the speed limit change that’s the problem.

You'd be absolutely fine. If you can't be dealing with impatient idiots in the park, you're probably better off not driving anywhere, as those same impatient idiots are doing the same thing everywhere else on the roads too.

There are selfish, ****, impatient drivers everywhere. The standard of driving in this country is continually getting worse. Not the ability. People are capable of driving well and proper, but the ever increasing rush to get around someone is a problem.

I'm not sure why you find other people overtaking you frustrating? That's a wee bit strange. Just drive as you see fit and don't worry about the ones overtaking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There's 9 car parks in the phoenix park.

I'm a daily user of the park - it's on my cycle route to work. I'd also occasionally drive to go for a walk or kick a ball with my son. We'll sometimes cycle there was well. I'm glad that there's safe cycling provided along Chesterfield avenue - although I was perfectly happy with the old cycle way. Issue was with the mass parking in the hard shoulder, pedestrian / cyclist encounters were frequent as people came from their cars and inevitably across the cycle way to get to the inner pedestrian path. Pedestrians straying on the cycle path was an issue at summer time and peak, for example Christmas events. Also around the zoo could get hairy with people straying on the cycle path.

Or perhaps this inner path could have been retained and used for cycling - the surface is not great in parts. So the Chesterfield solution with the bollards is probably the best solution given the infrastructure available. I'm also glad to see the parking gone off Chesterfield avenue - it was dangerous with people trying to get across and I've seen many a near miss with people (sometimes children) popping out from between cars into busy traffic trying to cross - dedicated pedestrian crossings will improve this.

I am also acutely aware of the car culture that prevails - I too am a driver. A number of years ago, I posted a thread about being overtaken while stopped at the raised ramp leading to Ashtown Castle by an impatient driver - I stopped to let a young family cross, mother and father, wheeling a pram and a young kid with a new bike who'd strayed about 20 meters in front of them and was following the path to the raised ramp to cross. This was on a St Stephen's day and the comments (I think I posted it in the motoring forum) condoning the driver that overtook me was a bit of an eye opener. Apparently, it's not a proper pedestrian crossing, so I shouldn't have stopped or given way to them and I would have been liable for an accident .So that's hat you're up against.

On the 30 kph limit, I'd be okay with 50 kph being retained. Problem was, 50 kph became 80 kph handy enough. At the moment, some drivers are maintaining the 30 kph, but there's some crazy overtaking going on with impatient drivers. Only way to police it (what ever limit is decided on) would be average speed cameras. But I do realise there's an issue with enforcing this and that the Gardai have limited powers in enforcing speed limits in the park. Ultimately, the only thing that'll work is some form of policing, as drivers will soon realise the 30 kph is unenforceable.

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can someone give a justification for a 30km/h speed limit on Chesterfield Avenue? I haven't seen any clear reason for why it's needed.

I'm sure the ultimate theory is that it's safer, but if that's the case then why not make every road in Ireland 30km/h!

I personally don't see the need for any changes to the park. What was really wrong with how it was?

If it's just a few residents annoyed about people parking all day, that would have been easy to solve.

A lot easier than some of the crazier ideas on here to start moving the zoo.

Not many other roads have near close to the volume of pedestrians on it without any sort of pedestrian crossing. So you either put in a lot of pedestrian crossinigs, which some say will impact the character, but they really wouldn't, or you do this. It's a 4.5 km stretch.

People might even make that time back at the various lights depending on when they arrive at them. Some will lose that time too of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Less traffic noise. Watch Cities aren't loud: Cars are loud for info of health impacts of traffic noise.

Less pollution. Consider the energy expended when walking compared to running same distance.

Safer for pedestrians trying to cross the road. And the deer. More reaction time available for drivers.

Pedestrian crossings are the answer here Certainly can be done without affecting the character significantly. Some Raised crossings with paving would be effective as they would double as speed bumps, slowing cars down at crossing points.

First I've heard about noise being an issue which would suggest it didn't form part of the reason this was implemented.

Cars are more efficient at higher speeds and people are not going to abandon their vehicles altogether for walking just because of a speed limit change.

Like I mention above, pedestrian crossings are the answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Do cars regularly get to these higher speeds in commuting traffic to allow then to operate more efficiently though? Commuting by car is in itself intrinsicly inefficient. I appreciate some have no choice, but a lot of people live within a train or bus ride, or even where cycling becomes viable. And at these higher speeds, cars pose more of a risk to more vulnerable road users. The outcome from hitting someone while travelling at 30kph, 50 kph or 80 kph vary greatly.

It cannot be justified.

The straight profile of the road and the sightlines of several hundred metres make it perfectly suitable for a 50 km/h limit.

Those mentioning average speed cameras, OPW simply will not entertain erecting such visually polluting things on the Avenue.

The sheer number of pedestrians trying to cross and lack of crossing make an absolute shite of this argument.

Those great sightlines, and still a load of cones got smashed by drivers the last year.

Anyway, I was in the park today. Tootling along at 30 kmph and one car in their lane was obviously doing much more than that. No other car behind me at that stage passed me for the 4 km stretch. They've added parking for at least 250 cars it looks on the North road too and it's only 1 way for half it, so it's non issue. They havn't closed off access to any of the other car parks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭raheny red

Seems like the best way to enforce the 30km speed limit would be for cyclists to ignore the designated cycle lane. That would be an awful shame.

On Chesterfield Avenue? Yes. Long straight road with very few junctions.

I'm not sure what your point is though. Are you saying that because commuting by car is more inefficient than cycling speed limits should be reduced?

Someone hitting into a cone has nothing to do with the speed limit. That's inattentive driving.

I know, but an inattentive driver at 30kmph is doing significantly less damage to one at 50kmph.

Why should the Park be any different in that regard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

"The people in cities accept the logic of 30 km/h in side roads and estates" - not in the estate I live in, they don't.

Advertisement