Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Yes, it is required by law, but that doesn't mean it isn't box ticking. Does it really have any benefit? Are people unable to figure out how to sit at desks at home themselves? Companies do it because they know there are people who would bring a claim against them not because they think it will improve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nah,just wait until the injury claims start coming into Court and you'll hear about it then.

The recent case where the guy slipped on his doorstep, he successfully argued that he was a "visitor" to the council house he lives in and therefore the council should be responsible for the doorstep. He was awarded 100k, it was successfully appealed in a higher court, so he has to pay it back, but unfortunately he spent 30k of it.

The swing case was a few years ago and MB was arguing that she should have been supervised on the swing and there should have been instructions on how to use it.

A Tipperary playground was closed after claims from 2 adults who were using the swings.

Here is a case in Germany (obviously we haven't had something like this here yet) :

Do we want to live in a country where we can't have WFH as companies are afraid of litigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You have pretty much spent the entire pandemic on here giving out about wfh we get it. It isn't for you, you have made that quite clear, you can likely go back to the office now, good for you.

The majority of people want it to stay in some form as an option so hopefully it will.

No doubt health and safety boxes will have to continue to be ticked big deal. People are just as likely to sit badly at a desk in an office as they are in one at home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Yeah its a liability issue and to be honest you would be surprised how many people dont know how to sit properly. I didnt say it was anything else. But the location doesnt matter (in an office/remote working). Im more surprised that some people think it is only an issue going forward for remote working and think employers can refuse on that basis under the proposed legislation - that was my question.

• Advertisement

if an assessment was done which it should have been thats already covered. But if an assessment hasnt been done - well possibly yes issues. Why havent some employers done this?

exactly there is always a lot of negative comments from people who dont know what remote working is or dont like it. Most workplaces have experienced no issues from remote working while also being fully complaint with laws. I spoke to someone earlier this week whose big concern was phones not being answered if people werent in an office. Tried to explain that we moved to a cloud based system 2 years ago and no longer have actual phones but he was lost. 😅

you do realise what a health and safety assessment is dont you. Maybe you are joking.

Yes and I am not joking, I just think that people can figure out how to sit safely themselves.

look it up and it is actually possibly a little different than you think. You can figure it out for yourself as most people do but that doesnt remove the responsibility of the employer. Do you actually work in an office. Lots of things are ridiculous but are required by law. Same for every industry.

• Advertisement

Yes, I work in an office although I have been WFH during the pandemic. I have had an ergonomic assessment in the office, not at home. I am well aware that the law requires it. I think that the law should be updated for when people are WFH. It should really be the responsibility of the employee to ensure their WFH space is suitable in my opinion. It is impossible for a company to know if your workspace at home is safe at all times, so that is where this box ticking comes in.

Yes, I am aware that many solicitors will say it would be totally impossible for someone to know how to sit at a desk at home unless they are given specific training. Given the society we live in, the legal system, I fully expect there will be cases in the future unless the law is updated.

good point re the law - but do you just mean WFH or all remote working. It is the responsibility of the employee and that is covered in the assessment.

Why are you assuming a remote working work station would be so different than an office - or again it is WFH. Is an equipment issue?

I would expect issues if employers use it as a reason not to permit remote working to continue especially as it seems a lot of employers are non compliant.

I think in cases where the employer is fully remote (they have no office), it should be their responsibility to ensure the employee has the correct setup, in terms of equipment and the usual health and safety training. In the case of WFH, I think it should be "opt in", the employee informs the employer that they have a suitable place and equipment and takes on the responsibility of ensuring it is correct. I don't necessarily think the employer should have to take on the extra cost of providing duplicate equipment in the case of WFH being optional and desired by the employee.

actually agree with that. Very going points. It is my responsibility and I do know colleagues who couldnt continue working remotely as their remote environment wasnt suitable. As for duplicate equipment - I agree. I dont need my office desk PC and it probably more than useless now. There is still a lot of work to be done re the proposed legislation but employers should have updated their policies aswell. Not just H&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Don't like seeing people say they should be entitled to work from home.

You signed a contract that stated your work place was the office. If your boss asks you to go back, you need to go back and understand it. You signed the contract, you have no right to complain. I don't care if you "proved you could do your job during the pandemic". You might think you did your job fine. Your boss might think it would have been better for the whole team to be together.

I WFH but if my boss asks me to go back, I'll go back. I might move but at the end of the day, they're paying me and my contract says my work location is in X office.

there is no mention of an office in my contract - is there in yours? Of course staff can express concerns about returning to an office especially if risk assessment/ventilation strategy etc havent been put in place and agreed.

Thankfully it isnt up to you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who was WFH for 18 months, but who returned to the office around Sept time, I do prefer being in.

We still get the odd day WFH, but to be honest I don't like them as much now, with the only positive being the lack of commute (30min each way).

I think the chances to WFH will be very few and far between in the future, only in special cases, and I'm happy enough with that.

The idea of WFH forever would now be my worst nightmare.

I think most contracts have this to be fair. “Your normal place of work will be office A in Main Street” etc.

and thats ok for you. There is hude demand for remote working but some people do wish to return to offices. Thats why we have policies and procedures around it.

yeah interestingly ours dont as we can be moved to another location as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the vast majority of employment contracts will name a place of work, and give the company the freedom to change that place of work.

Totally agree, but think we are going to see a large number of people (including in my own POW) demanding that they be allowed to WFH all the time. I think the employer have the right to refuse them this, although I think some sort of compromise would be the best solution for all concerned.

Plus, I'd like to think employers now in the future will discuss this at interview time with potential employees. They will shoot themselves in the foot if they refuse point blank, as many new people entering the workforce will not want to work for an employer who hasn't got at least a hybrid model.

yes my named address no longer exists but includes the line about any other location. we dont have assigned office desks aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Contracts have all sorts of things in them like mandated hours etc that are regularly not adhered to at the employers request.

The market will dictate whether or not employees get to decide. If the jobs market continues to be buoyant then wfh options will be available to mobile employees. Your likes or dislikes along with the rest of us are irrelevant.

yes hybrid or blended working might suit even more people but the demand is huge. We moved to fully open plan collaborative spaces recently and honestly a lot of staff find it easier and better to work remotely - including my own manager. Remote working doesnt suit everyone and doesnt suit all areas but the demand is huge.

I swear that some people on this thread work in companies staffed by children

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

One more obvious benefit in a move to more flexible work arrangements is that people who left the work force to look after young kids should have more opportunity to get back in (where a 9-5 with a commute might not suit but a shortened day from home might).

In these kinds of situations it can be a positive development.

absolutely removing the barrier of location/commute opens workplaces to so many people.

Seperately there seems to be an assumption that everyone can return to an office. They cant. The pandemic hasnt ended (despite what the govt says) and the risk remains high.

• Advertisement

But if I was an employer I would be worried now that the Gov seems to be backing the worker in their "entitlement" to WFH in a pattern that suits themselves, be it full time or hybrid.

The ultimate decision still lies with the employer. They don't have to do anything the worker or Gov are demanding. It may hurt them of course if they point blank say no, as they may lose some very good workers. Then again it might help them to get rid of some deadwood?

Advertisement