Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Working From Home Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭ HerrKuehn

It is an incredible amount of flexibility from their employer, especially given the CS/PS employees resistance to any change that doesn't suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ Shuffl_in

50% wfh and the flexibility that offers n choosing your days is a good outcome in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭ gazzer

Working from a laptop in a sunny climate for 3 months a year would be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭ JDD

Yeah, I'm not sure we'll get much flexibility in reality. What they'll say is "your team is in Monday and Tuesday, rest of the time you can choose" which would only be a couple of extra days. That's going to be a pain, because my husband is likely to have the same arrangement where he'll be working hybrid but will be told his days, and it'll be just our luck that we'll be told the same days to be WFO. There will be the usual heart attack commute home to make it on time to pick up from two separate childminders before 6.30. Oh joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭✭ road_high

My thoughts exactly. But I did sense this would be ultimately up to the employers to decide. The rest is just government window dressing to look as if they give a shite about employees (they don’t, all the state cares about is raiding our pay packets at the end of each month)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ MSVforever

It's a medium sized finance company (Irish owned).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭ JDD

It remains to be seen what "inordinate" means, and that might depend on the employer. Do they have a lot of hastily arranged meetings with clients that can't be done remotely? Then you living in Kerry and having an office in Dublin might not be a goer. But living in Meath/Kildare might. Does your employer sometimes need you to come in the next day for a team collaboration session? Then WFH from London might not be a goer, but WFH from Kerry might.

It will all depend on how "friendly" the WRC is to the employee. There's lots of scope for interpretation here. And I think a middle manager who says "I cannot possibly allocate work unless everybody is in the office every day" might get short shrift from the WRC. But an employer who says that their employee is working in a flat with five others might reasonably say that they are concerned with confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ Shuffl_in

It will be interesting to see if different public sector departments implement different WFH guidelines or if they'll try to keep it uniform.

I'm on the Mobility Scheme for other departments in my area and neighbouring areas, just as a bit of an insurance policy (everybody should be on it). If I hear that another department has a better WFH policy I'll certainly be 'unholding' my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ thefallingman

are masks mandatory in work now, not with public ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 9,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Quin_Dub

In my company they have said that moving (far) away for WFH isn't acceptable without explicit permission to do so.

Basically they say that you need to be "available to come to the office if required" in terms of WFH.

Not a case of "Get here within the hour" but certainly "we need you onsite tomorrow for XYZ"

So in Ireland , most places would meet that criteria , but in other countries you'd obviously be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭ Ohmeha

Email received today from HR confirming return to office over the next month with hybrid options only upon approval from management so open season for any anti-WFH managers to refuse continuation of WFH. Staff with medical conditions, vulnerable family members and childcare challenges who have been WFH since 2020 have nothing guaranteed now and not happy with the email today

Then in some contrast another employer in a similar industry today confirmed voluntary return to the office until the end of March which will be reviewed that month depending on the covid situation and emphasised no staff WFH should be under any obligation to return in the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 68,213 ✭✭✭✭ seamus

The stated plan for our company last August/September was a hybrid model - 4 days at home, 1 day in the office, but not in a hard and fast way. If someone needed to do 5 days one week and 2 or 3 the next, no issue.

Exceptions for people to be fully WFH are based on manager approval, but most are eager for it to continue.

Within six months we'll only have enough office space for about a third of the company anyway, and they're not planning on doing much about it, so the policy is more about keeping people out of the office than forcing them in. The aim will be getting the whole company together every 6-8 weeks, but outside of that we have no need to all be geographically together.

No particular bars on working abroad - we have a number of employees all over the place - though obviously it still needs to be flagged & approved.

I expect the rules for us will evolve over time as the legal situation does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭ AndrewJRenko

If only there has been some non-solicitors pointing out all these points as significant over the past two years....

The move to WFH for substantial numbers of employees in lots of organisations is definitely unchartered territory, and was not considered in producing the current regulations. We need an update.

The employer has a legal obligation to ensure that your workplace is safe, even with WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭ DaCor

With other non-solicitors pointing out that neither covid nor wfh absolved employers from their legal responsibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭✭ road_high

They really can’t decide where people chose to live, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭ Dav010

But the H&S Act could be amended so that that would not apply in cases where the employee requested not to work in an office.

Orherwise, as per earlier posts the grounds on which wfh can be refused are practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭ woody22

You’d think that hybrid working was a new thing, brought on by Covid. It’s really not that hard to organise, and deal with the H&S and GDPR etc. Many companies have been doing it for many years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭ Dav010

Bit naive.

The difficulty with organising it depends to a considerable extent on the employees circumstances and the suitability of their home. Some companies may have been doing it, now all companies are at least going to have to consider it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 9,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Quin_Dub

Well - They kind of can to an extent.

It's a global company so a lot of what was said was aimed more at US based people really - Moving a 1,500 miles away to a different State is a big difference to moving out of Dublin to live in West-Meath or whatever.

They are hiring people who are fully remote, living no where near an office location , but what they are saying to existing employees is that they cannot simply relocate without getting agreement from management which is fair enough.

I haven't heard of anyone who has asked being turned down as yet , but you can't just move really far away on the QT and expect everything to stay the same in all other respects.

Those people that are hired or officially move to somewhere far away will get contracts based on their location and will get paid expenses if they have to travel to the office etc. , that's why it needs to be "with the agreement of Management"

If they are paying New York wages and someone decides to relocate to Rural Idaho then that person can expect a new contract if they want to go through with the move. Salary levels aren't a massive issue in Ireland in terms of regional differences though.

And those who've been doing it for years have good procedures for ensuring that the home workplace is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus

is this thread full of people who hate their workplace or something? i can only assume thats it. Team morale is very important, nothing worse than an unhappy working enironment.

Can't see Governments exposing large numbers to musculo-skeletal injuries, which the health service will have to pay to treat. Employers will still need to ensure that workplaces are safe. It's a bit trickier and more expensive to do it with WFH, but employers will be creaming it on office cost savings in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus

Ah yes, the flood of WRC appeals that the posters of this thread are readying.

At least all of you that sneer at your work colleagues can be safe in the knowledge people probably dont want you back in any more than you want to be back. So it should be a win win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement