Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Options

Comments

Off the top of my head, Las Vegas 2017, 60 people were killed at a concert.

Non Muslims kill people too 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

When was the last term a non muslim commited mass murder for a religious reason?

Moving goalposts!

I have no idea what the reasons were for the offender in Las Vegas. Would it make any difference to the outcome?

How about the guy in New Zealand that went into a few different mosques and killed loads of Muslims?

is that ok for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Yep there is two small ones, most if not all of the big ones though were done for retaliation or to achieve some sort of political objective to force public opinion to withdraw from the middle east.

• Advertisement

Trolling because I claimed that Islam was not the sole cause of these terror attacks? OK then.

I really wish I could view the world as straight forward as some of the people on this thread, it would save a lot of headaches.

I really cant believe we're even arguing about this....

Everyone knows muslims commit the vast bulk of terrorist offences in europe.....

I really wish I could view the world as straight forward as some of the people on this thread

You already do. The difference is that you're repeatedly applying a range of double standards. Not holding yourself to the standard you extend to others.

Since your OP, you've consistently deflected and refused to justify your remarks, instead seeking to dismiss the opinions of others.

Yup, and Wahhabism isn't the most open to logic branch of any religion.

Everyone can believe what they like. But believing that some radicalised Muslims (who probably never left Britain) may have thoughts and opinions on a previous conflict that don't quite match with reality is something that can't be countenanced apparently. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You know better than the Jihadis.

Why won't Islamic State fighters read boards.ie and get the real story rather than listening to their own org.

Harry, quite European centric world view. There is more to the world than that. It's like reading Cecil Rhodes diary.

• Advertisement

Well the jihadis like in 9/11, 7/7, Paris attacks all claim that they done it because of Western interference in the middle east and to force public opinion to change and put pressure on the governments to withdraw from the middle east.

You seem to miss my point completely, that I'm just saying what the jihadis cite as their reasons for doing such actions, the media doesn't tell you the real reasons (maybe rightfully so) due to not wanting to give the terrorists a voice which might lead to other young Muslims understanding them and maybe commiting terror attacks of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Your lack of knowledge about Islam is astounding. Study it for a while, educate yourself, and then see what you think....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on Glock, your are around long enough to have seen the Whataboutery ploy.

Terrorist attack is carried out by people who are devout followers of a particular religion and ideology so we get references to catholics in the PIRA.

Grooming gangs 90% made up of people with one particular religious background are being discussed so we get references to catholic church priests and christian brothers abuse.

A rape is committed by a recent illegal migrant and we get told about all the rapes committed by natives.

Crimes are carried out by recent illegal migrant and we get told about how many native criminals there are.

Eventually we get reminded of the crusades.

Oh and another ploy by a particular poster is to remind us there are laws to protect us.

Of course they stay silent when reminded the laws didn't protect those kids in Manchester, the priest in France, the teacher in France, those out for a walk in Nice, the commuters in London or Madrid, etc, etc, etc, etc.

A bunch of women and girls were out in Milan on New Years and were cornered, groped, had their clothes removed, sexually assaulted some to the extent of being digitally raped.

So you had TV news networks giving examples of how Italian news and sports presenters had their bottoms pinched by Italian dudes.

It is like these media types, NGO types and the liberal fawners will do anything rather than face the fact a lot of the recent immigrants and not so recent immigrants from particular areas of the world cause untold social problems if not death and destruction.

I often wonder when they will finally say enough is enough?

Does not matter if they have or have not ever been abroad. Its all about what they are taught by the Local Mullah, and if he is radical, then he will teach radical Islam. If he is a moderate Mullah, he will teach moderate Islam. In reality, most Mullah's are moderate, but as the saying goes, one bad apple can rot the lot. And as been seen, only takes a small Nr to do horrific damage. The real problem with Islam, is the instructions in the Quran to Kill the unbelievers, Stone the adulterers, Chop limbs etc. And these verses are what are causing all the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Another huge issue is if the local islamic centre gets funding from particular organisations or particular Gulf States.

What I find amazing is, on a thread about islamic terrorism, it's somehow muslims that are the real victims?

You have something like the Manchester attack where 20 kids etc died, over a thousand injured, maybe tens of thousands traumatised (imagine being a kid and seeing mangled bodies). Yet somehow it's muslims that are the real victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Can you quote one the posts from this thread where someone says that Muslims are the real victims of the Manchester bombing?

Jihadi terrorism is the biggest threat in Europe from any terror group at the moment. That Is very different from blaming Muslims, which seems to be what you do, constantly.

First, I prove that non Muslims commit mass murder at concerts, then you change it to say non Muslims who commit mass murder, with religion as their motive, which I also show you. So, as proven time and time again, non Muslims also commit mass killings. Unfortunately.

Sure you're the one that said it, I don't believe any one said such a thing.

What has that got to do with what I just said? It's an ancient medieval book from hundreds of years ago like the Bible and torah it contains many violent verses, that doesn't mean the book is the cause of all the problems. A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It is not at all like the Bible and Torah. Lets see if you can figure out why.

Yes it is, because it actively not only mandates death, but orders it. Kill the unbelievers, being one particular such instruction. And its these passages which have caused so much death and destruction throughout history, since the foundation of Islam by Mohammad 1'400 years ago, in the 6th century. Muslims believe the Quran is the Word of God, and must be obeyed. And so we are where we are in the 21st Century. Why do you think that Islamic Jihadists shout out " Allahu Akbar" when carrying out an attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The real problem with Islam, is the instructions in the Quran to Kill the unbelievers, Stone the adulterers, Chop limbs etc. And these verses are what are causing all the trouble.

Do you honestly imagine that without those verses in the Quran, people wouldn’t simply contrive another ideology to claim their hatred and violence they commit against other people is justifiable?

They would of course, they already do. The real problem isn’t with Islam at all, the real problem is some people will gravitate towards ideologies that justify their behaviour towards others, and if an ideology doesn’t exist, they’ll simply invent one -

The Harry Potter books have plenty violence in them. How come no one uses them as justification for killing?

Or if the Quran expressly forbade such deadly activities, ( as the Christian new testament does) How many Muslims Jihadi's would you have.? . And that's the crux of the matter. You have always had murderous psychopaths throughout the ages, regardless of religion. But when a religion actively promotes death, that's the most powerful incentive to its followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s exactly the point that’s being made - there are any number of sources which contain killing and justification for killing and so on, so while the Harry Potter books contain plenty of violence, they’re just not that well written that they actually inspire the sort of radicalisation, extremism and reward for their righteousness that makes their abhorrent behaviour morally justifiable, that is present in other ideological belief systems.

Consider for example the following passage -

The sensual pleasures are graphically elaborated by Al-Suyuti (died 1505 ), Koranic commentator and polymath. He wrote: "Each time we sleep with a houri we find her virgin. Besides, the penis of the Elected never softens. The erection is eternal; the sensation that you feel each time you make love is utterly delicious and out of this world and were you to experience it in this world you would faint. Each chosen one [ie Muslim] will marry seventy [sic] houris, besides the women he married on earth, and all will have appetising vaginas."

It’s more Fifty Shades than Harry Potter 🤨

The point being that the above passage can be interpreted a number of different ways, depending upon the motivations of the interpreter. @jmreire‘s point about radicalisation and extremism is entirely a fair point, but what’s not fair is to suggest that Islam promotes radicalism or extremism or justifies all sorts of abhorrent attitudes and behaviour towards others.

It depends upon how any idea is interpreted, and whether or not anyone who is exposed to it can relate to it or not. When it comes to radicalisation and extremism, the vast majority of it’s adherents aren’t particularly literate, nor will they have studied theology to anything like the degree that the scholars who are doing the interpretation for them, will have studied the source material. How many Christians for example do you reckon have actually read the Bible for themselves, as opposed to having it interpreted for them by a learned scholar who readily engages in cherry picking the bits that suit their own interests and radicalising their students? The same is true of Islam, or any religion you want to point fingers at to suggest it’s promoting radicalisation and extremism, as evidenced by the fact that a handful of it’s adherents are gone well off the reservation.

The same arguments were made in the 80’s in Britain by religious groups about “video nasties”, led by one Mary Whitehouse. Hers was simply a different form of radicalised extremism where she argued that British society was becoming more permissive. She didn’t approve of the idea that basically society was changing rapidly around her. Same sort of rhetoric is aimed at any kind of social and political changes in society by people who just don’t approve, because it threatens their own dominant narrative. The same sort of rhetoric was aimed at Fifty Shades too -

Having read the books and seen the films myself, I don’t think there’s any fear that anyone who would take inspiration from the books is going to be leading a social revolution any time soon, if you catch my drift? They’re hardly among the greatest literary works of the 20th century.

Little bit of education for you Harry.. The Bible , old Testament, loads of death and destruction. Then Jesus arrives, and changes everything with the New an everlasting Testament, between God and Man, This is what Christians follow to the present day. Then 600 AD, Mohammad arrives, and preaches a new religion, Islam. Mohammad claims that he is instructed by the Angel Gabriel, who appears to him. These are Mohammad's revelations, which are what inspires the Quran. In large part, they reflect the old Testament, but are added to by Mohammad. So this is what Muslims believe is the actual word of God, to the present day, and nothing in it can be changed, except by God himself. So when Jihad's kill, they do it in the name of God. And that's why for 1'400 years, people have been killing in the name of God. So yes a book written 1'400 years ago, is still relevant to day, both the good ( and yes, there are good parts in it too ) and the bad. It affects how 1.9 Billion Muslims think and act in the world today. So yes, its a book, a very powerful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its confirmed the U.S. drone attacked and destroyed an aid workers car containing himself and his family as they tried to flee Afghanistan.

They initially denied it. Now they admit it and say no laws were broken including the law of war.

Its must be pretty upsetting to see such murders hand waved away. Would drive a person to retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So is the old testament not considered canon anymore Jmreire?

Advertisement