Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Options

Comments

Nope. Most people would look at the patterns of behavior in other nations, consider what links us to them, and then wonder if the same patterns would be repeated here.

Oh. I get it. There's a lot of people who want to ignore what's happening elsewhere, believing that Ireland will be different.. Just because.

Now, I've stated a few times on the thread that I don't believe that Ireland faces much risk from Islamic terrorism.. however, I'd also be of the opinion, that things don't stay as they are forever. The political/ideological landscape in the M.East, and that of Muslims in Europe is changing, and I could see Ireland becoming a target in the future. It's not as if Ireland is a backwater nation anymore. There is value in discussing the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭jmreire

Oh, I'm not saying it "Might", snoopsheep, I'm coming down on the side of it will..only thing is "When" Now instead of google go back through this thread, and there's plenty of posts detailing what has been going on in Ireland re Islamic Jihad. You are not the first poster to ask this question,,, there are several before you, and they have all been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

is it wise allowing a now convicted jihadist out on bail until sentencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

No, it's not wise. It seems par for the course that whenever the Gardai object to bail the Judiciary in this country grant it. Now we just sit back and see what a paltry slap on the wrist sentence they give her.

Completely agree. I can’t find any examples of guilty terrorists getting bail anywhere. The terrorist organisation she joined where notorious for blowing themselves up and she hasn’t denounced the religion - if anything she could become more extreme in the coming weeks.

idiots.

• Advertisement

If a jihadist is 'vulnerable and damaged' than why is she granted bail?

She is clearly a threat to the public as is and does not look to have denounced Islam in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She does not need to denounce Islam, but ISIS ?? Now that's a horse of a completely different color... if she were to do that...question is will she??? She is not in Al-Hawl camp now where they kill anyone who renounces isis , and she can claim her life depended on supporting, or to be seen as supporting ISIS, but here in Ireland, that should not apply. Be interesting to see what she will do, Renounce ISIS or not??

Because she joined an Islamic terrorist group?

If she wants the courts to believe she is truly sorry than she should denounce the religion.

Playing the sympathy card as an excuse won’t win over the jury. She is a threat to Irish people as long as she is not locked in a prison cell, if she wants to demonstrate differently than she will denounce the religion. Simple as.

She needs to denounce the Jihadi part of Islam, and Islam has many parts, with most being peaceful. The Quran covers everything from love and peace to kill the unbelievers. And that's quite a long list. But the problem is that only God or Mohammad can remove the "Kill the unbeliever's" part. And so we are where we are with Islam,

• Advertisement

Well many believe the Quran had been completely manipulated in its creation. Real Muslims who believe in the peaceful aspects of Islam don’t go to Syria.

The prophet Muhammad and/or “Allah” shouldn’t need to miraculously appear to undo their wrong doings and teach them right from wrong.

Muslims as a whole are good members of the community and have integrated very well into Irish society as a whole.

She is not one of them people. She is a terrorist and needs to be taken out of Irish society pronto. As a country we need to take a very hard stance on this.

Muslims as a whole are good members of the community and have integrated very well into Irish society as a whole.

We're well behind other countries in their experiences of Muslims, and the numbers involved here in Ireland tend to be on the low side. Things will change as the population rises, although it'll be far too late to do anything about it then.

Just about every Islamic nation in the world is moving back towards the traditional, and harder interpretations of Islamic teachings. There's a few who haven't but they're playing a tightrope act in trying to please all sides involved.. Muslims don't need to go to Syria to find the more "extreme" viewpoints. You can find Iman's in Europe who will do the associated teachings, and viewpoints towards the harder positions within Islam. Syria is just an option if someone wants the terrorist training, and heavier indoctrination associated with such groups.

As for the manipulation of the Quran, many more continue to believe it is exactly correct.. because it suits their perspective. It's a very.. vague book, very open to interpretation.

She is not one of them people.

Sure she is. She was simply not born into the religion, and so, has less excuses for what she chose to involve herself in. However, she's one of them based on the religious, and cultural indoctrination that goes hand in hand with any practicing Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How people in any form can defend her in the slightest is beyond me and shows what some are like in here.

Syria was not just an option.

In 2006 Al Baghdadi declared his caliphate and called for Muslims around to world to join his terrorist organisation as it was committed horrendous acts of genocide across Syria and Iraq.

That is what she joined. She is a terrorist and shouldn’t of been allowed back in the country never mind stand trial.

Lisa Smith jailed for 15 months for IS membership

15 f***ing months? Is this for real!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Yeah lets throw her in a dark hole and throw away the key, not like she was groomed and led down the wrong path lets throw the book at her for getting into a situation she didn't know how to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

That sentence will certainly make other jihadis think twice about relocating to Ireland!

She may have to serve up to 10 months- will definitely miss the late late show 2022-2023 season!

in the US it’s 10-15 years as standard for extreme terrorism which this is.

the fact we will have an ex- isis member walking the streets in likely 12 months says it all about our passive and ridiculous justice system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Next time we see her will be in about 2/3 years on CCTV footage of her walking into a packed Croke Park wearing a bulky coat in the middle of summer as an expert points out the wire coming out of the sleeve leading to a button in her hand.

Today's lenient sentence is an epic mistake.

• Advertisement

So where should she be if not back in Ireland?

Left in the refugee camp in Syria with the rest of her terrorist friends.

Look at the UK’s stance with Shamima Begum, they are refusing to allow her back in the country and have revoked her British passport.

we have really f**ked up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭riddles

i hope she doesn’t starting singing nothing compares to you 🥹

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Norwegian bloke... couldn't accuser him off being racist....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Smith travelled to an illegally occupied territory. That territory has since been reclaimed by Syria. (I've honestly lost count of how many times I've typed those two sentences on this site).

Syria didn't want Smith but you think forcing Syria to keep an Irish citizen was the right thing to do? You think Syria wants that refugee camp?

Not often I get a chance to say well done to an Irish government but they absolutely did the right thing in this instance.

• Brought her home
    • Investigated her
    • Charged her
    • Sent her to trial
    • Convicted her
    • Sentenced her

Proper judicial process.

Shamima Begum will be back in the UK at some stage.

What are you smoking?

Of course Syria didn’t want her, she’s a f**king terrorist. Upon joining ISIS, the first thing they make you do is burn your passport and offer complete allegiance to them.

She followed the call of Baghdadi to join the Islamic caliphate and in doing so revoked her own Irish citizenship.

Please explain to me why you think Begum will be back in the UK? It went to the surpreme court and they have taken a very hard stance on it - explain your assumption please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Maybe to you she revoked her Irish citizenship but legally which is what mattered to the courts of Ireland she did not do so under Irish law.

As a person born on the island of Ireland prior to 2005 she is a citizen by birth. She may well have followed a call to join a terrorist organisation but nothing that she has done has legally caused the revocation of her Irish citizenship.

so that makes it okay to join a terrorist organisation who slaughtered thousands of innocent people for the sake of not believing in there religion?

All of this is so wrong I don’t know how people are trying to justify this pathetic sentence. Imagine serving 10 years in your county's military then joining the enemy? In most countries joining an army of another country is considered treason.

Look at the interviews Lisa smith while in the refugee camps in Syria. Despite the mass graves left behind by IS and she compadres filming what they did, and the opinion of Al-Azhar Scholars that IS is/was indeed within Islamic practice. This woman is so brainwashed that she lies with impunity. A danger to any non-fundamentalist Islamist community and she will be walking freely again in a few months.

she should’ve been handed over to the families of the ISIL's victims.

absolutely inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

so that makes it okay to join a terrorist organisation who slaughtered thousands of innocent people for the sake of not believing in there religion?

I don't think anyone has said it is ok

All of this is so wrong I don’t know how people are trying to justify this pathetic sentence. Imagine serving 10 years in your county's military then joining the enemy? In most countries joining an army of another country is considered treason.

So should Ireland be run under the laws in other countries. Rather than our own laws?

Look at the interviews Lisa smith while in the refugee camps in Syria. Despite the mass graves left behind by IS and she compadres filming what they did, and the opinion of Al-Azhar Scholars that IS is/was indeed within Islamic practice. This woman is so brainwashed that she lies with impunity. A danger to any non-fundamentalist Islamist community and she will be walking freely again in a few months.

So what being brainwashed isn't a crime. Are you advocating the introduction of thought police. And that the Irish state should monitor how people think and jail those not in line?

• Advertisement

If someone commits a crime in another country they should be tried there e.g. Iraq or Syria - not rocket science.

Brainwashed isn’t a crime no but brainwashed into thinking murdering, beheading of children certainly is. You clearly haven’t been following the trial, she was in active dialogue with senior members of ISIS and was very aware of what she was going into. That is a crime.

wake up.

Advertisement