Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Jihad and Sharia law - cannot ever be accepted as a form of governance in this country. The same failure of liberalism is evident in Western Europe, where the dogma of multiculturalism has left a secular Europe very slow to address the looming problem of religious extremism among its immigrants. The people who speak most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually fascists. To say that this does not bode well for liberalism is an understatement: It does not bode well for the future of civilization.

She moved to an Islamic state that had previously declared war on Ireland, she is without a doubt on that basis a terrorist. She claims to have known nothing about the bloodshed, cruelty and mass murder conducted in the Islamic state which is a total lie. She spent time in the Irish military and would’ve been educated on the conflict in the Middle East with a particular focus on the mujahdeen - as a country, we need to make an example of her.

The fact that a terrorist can walk freely and challenge our legal system is even a step too far.

We as a country need to accept that critiquing Islam, critiquing any idea, is not bigotry. “Islamophobia” is a troubled and inherently unhelpful term. Yes, hatred of Muslims by neo-Nazi-style groups does exist, and it is a form of cultural intolerance, but that must never be conflated with the free-speech right to critique Islam. Islam is, after all, an idea; we cannot expect its merits or demerits to be accepted if we cannot openly debate it - it’s a tipping point for us right now and we need to act appropriately by making an example of this women and showing the Islamic extremists that we will not tolerate them on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Her years of helping in war crimes from genocide,to mass rape and returning legal Sex slavery to that region after the collapse of the Ottoman empire is going to be next to impossible to prove though.

She'll be free in a short time.

Ideally the Minister for Justice would extend her detention indefinitely but that's not happening.

'The fact that a terrorist can walk freely and challenge our legal system is even a step too far'

She hasn't walked freely from anything and everyone can challenge something legally and in the courts.

That's the beauty of living in a country that runs on law and order

She is walking the streets and is not remanded on bail. She should never have been allowed back in this country from the moment she decided to join a terrorist organisation who have declared war on our country.

”the beauty of living in a country that runs on law and order,” - the fact is, she shouldve never been allowed back here in the first place. She is a terrorist and a threat to our people. Such an approach inevitably ends up empowering fundamentalists as the most authentic, because of course the one who wins the game of “Who’s a purer Muslim?” and outdoes others in a piety contest is the stubborn, dogmatic fundamentalist. This is how “fellow-travelers” disempower liberals and reformers. Without realizing it, they also adopt the role of thought police by asserting that liberalism isn’t authentic to Muslims. Again, this is reverse bigotry kicking in.

Islam is just a religion. Islamism is the ideology that seeks to impose any version of Islam over society. Islamism is, therefore, theocratic extremism. Jihadism is the use of force to spread Islamism. Jihadist terrorism is the use of force that targets civilians to spread Islamism - she jointed a jihadi movement and needs to be removed from our society.

• Advertisement

Have you read the Koran? Going by your posts I am 100% you have not because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

It is time we admitted that we are not at war with "terrorism." We are at war with Islam. This is not to say that we are at war with all Muslims, but we are absolutely at war with the vision of life that is prescribed to all Muslims in the Koran. The only reason Muslim fundamentalism is a threat to us is because the fundamentals of Islam are a threat to us. Any who thinks differently should read the Koran and discover the relentlessness with which non-Muslims are vilified in its pages - this would’ve been a prerequisite for Lisa Smith prior to joining ISIS.

The idea that Islam is a "peaceful religion hijacked by extremists" is a dangerous fantasy — and it is now a particularly dangerous fantasy for Muslims to indulge.

Do yourself a favour and stop commenting on something Until you understand what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

And I am certain that you do not know very many Muslim people.

And what does any of this have to do with the fact that you don't even know how the justice system works in this country?

Lisa Smith is on bail, and you don't even know that 🙄

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,120 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Is this the part of the argument where people say they have a muslim colleague and he's a good guy that wouldnt hurt a fly?

I just got in my time machine. I went back to 1930s germany, I spoke to this SS soldier, he was actually a pretty sound guy, we just hung out and chatted a bit. These Nazis really arent that bad, they do get a bad reputation though :(

Which version do you suggest we read? A lot of the more recent translations/versions are either from right wing extremists like Tommy Robinson or from true believers of Islam. Something as simple as re-ordering the verses in an English translation, can give too much weight to certain teachings, that hold no such weight in the Arabic version(s). The older translations, well the most accurate was a LAtin translation, sponsored by the Church before the crusades, to try and find common ground with Islam..they couldn't

This is the part of the argument where I say I work with a guy who doesn't like Muslims, but

I just got in my time machine. I went back to 1930s germany, I spoke to this SS soldier, he was actually a pretty sound guy, we just hung out and chatted a bit. These Nazis really arent that bad, they do get a bad reputation though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Let's look at some of the key attributes of the Nazis....

1. Absolutely hated jews. I mean Really hated.

2. Thought they were the master race.

3. Considered women as breeding stock.

4. Infamous for human rights abuses.

5. Constantly pushing other group out of their ancestral lands.

Do they remind people of any modern day groups?

Indeed, the penalty1 for those who wage war2 against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,

Quran 5:33

Fight those People of the Book who do not believe in Allah, nor in the Last Day, and do not take as unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have declared as unlawful, and do not profess the Faith of Truth; (fight them) until they pay jizyah with their own hands while they are subdued

Quran 9:29

A religion of peace.

Pick one.

It's a bit **** stupid to go and ask someone "have you read the Qur'an?" when said poster himself has not read the Qur'an, hence my reason for asking and will also be asking what his thoughts and opinions on it are if and when he replies.

And your overall thought and opinions of the book, rather than just a few selective quotes, please...? (And no, don't just ask ME if I'VE rread it - YOU'RE the one who brought it up).

I mean, I can take any selective quote from a Holy scripture and potray it's followers as barbaric heathens, can I not?

The idea that EVERY muslim follows every passage of the Qur'an to the later is as stupid as saying that EVERY Christian follows every passage of the Bible to the later - agree or disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Most of the knowledge that I have about the Quran comes from a Wahabbi colleague, and he explained it in a very simple to under stand way. For Muslims, the Quran is everything. It is the complete Manual for Life for ALL of mankind. Nothing else is needed, its the complete book of life for all time. Have a question or problem? the Quran has the answers.

So according to my Wahabbi friend ( now ex-friend though) want the justification for peace and love? Certainly, its all there in the Quran. Death, destruction and war? Same thing, consult the Quran. But the worst thing about it is that it cannot be changed. None of it, and that's the problem. The vast majority of Muslim's go by the Peace and Love part, but unfortunately too many follow the death and destruction part too. If all these destructive passages could be removed, it would completely remove the Jihadi's religious justification and authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Most people don't understand the real reason behind these terror attacks, the media won't tell you about it but the real reason these terror attacks happen is to bring to the attention of the western population what is happening in the middle east so that the west cannot act with free reign and then face pressure from home to stop.

Little to nothing to do with religion, if it wasn't for these terror attacks nó one would care less what the US and others are doing in the middle east, the terrorists in the west don't have the resources to launch a sustained campaign against military targets so their only option for any significant attack is against civilians.

That's the whole reason Lee Rigby the British soldier was killed years ago as he described in the video after the killing, if it wasn't for the video explaining himself I'm sure the media have painted some picture of him doing it for some religious cause.

I've noticed that people try to do to this a lot. Seek to extract Islam from the culture and politics of Islamic nations. It can't be done. Islam, as a religion, and the impact it has had on the cultural development of those nations, mean that it's always involved in the decision making processes to some degree.

This is a war between ideologies. It's really that simple. Western culture is a polar opposite of Islamic beliefs. We are the opposite in terms of womens rights, the use of alcohol, the manner in which people are punished, etc etc etc etc. On so many levels, we are the opposite of Islamic culturally acceptable norms. If they wouldn't accept their own people behaving in ways similar to westerners, why would they allow/tolerate westerners from behaving that way. History has shown plenty of examples where Islamic nations have dominated their neighbors ensuring that Islamic norms become supreme.

The core tenant of their faith is the belief that there should be one single religion in the world. That hasn't changed. And a core component of having everyone believe/follow the religion, is that all people obey the cultural/religious expectations by which people live by. Which means our views on women's rights, homosexuality, etc are all focus points for friction and violence... until we give them up and accept their views on life.

The actions of European powers or America in the M.East has some bearing on the situation, but the friction between western and M.Eastern nations would continue to exist even if Westerners had no involvement in their affairs. Thankfully, Islamic nations have mostly been weak, and western nations remained strong, economically, and in terms of military... but if that was ever turned around, with Islamic nations being stronger, I wouldn't be surprised to see conventional attacks on European territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Harry, since the 6th century when Mohammad founded Islam, it has been in expansion mode....throughout history, it has ebbed and flowed, but the one constant is that it has never stopped trying to expand. And yes, its religion driven. The whole world must submit to Islam. You are aware that the ultimate aim and plan of ISIS was to march on Rome, and destroy it, don't you? Their media was full of " Kill the new Crusaders " propaganda. Saudi Arabia spend billions each year to spread the faith. So no, the msg has not changed. It was religious back then, and its religious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You guys always seem to put your foot in it.

You use the example of the butchering of Lee Rigby to claim it is just about highlighting what was happening in Middle East.

In other words it has nothing to do with religion.

So were Lee Rigby's attackers from the Middle East or Middle Eastern descent ?

Ehh no would be the answer.

Michael Olumide Adebolajo, was born in Lambeth to a Christian family and was Nigerian descent.

No family links to Middle East.

Oh wait he converted to islam in 2003.

Michael Oluwatobi Adebowale was born in Britain to Nigerian family. His father worked for Nigerian High Commission.

No family links to Middle East.

Oh he was born christian and converted to islam in 2009.

Can you point out what these two gents have in common with the people in the Middle East ?

Maybe they are all fans of the same football team?

Maybe they all like the same pop music ?

Why would two Nigerian descent British born, christian reared guys suddenly attack someone because of the Middle East and what was happening to people there?

Maybe British born Nigerian descent just really care about highlighting in justices right around the world?

Sure there must be loads of attacks by British born Nigerian descent lads who are still christians, are athesists, are in scientology, etc ?

The only thing I can see they have in common with the vast majority of the people in the Middle East was their religion and ideology.

But of course islam never has anything to do with terrorism 🙄

Hilarious some of the replies I've seen here, blame it all on Islam and place no blame on the West for the millions of dead in illegal wars and interference in the middle east.

I realise that you believe that terrorism can be excused, from your defence of Irish terrorists. But most rational normal people understand that there is no excuse for terrorism. There is never an excuse for killing people because of some mad idea you have in your head, no matter how you try to excuse it.

Well... I guess that's appropriate, since yours was the direct opposite. The piece I quoted earlier sought to make western involvement as being the only real consideration for what's happened. So.. yeah.. hilarious. I do note that you haven't countered what was said in opposition, and instead chosen to deflect instead.

Also, to date, there was one war that could be termed illegal, which was the US led invasion of Iraq based on falsified evidence. Which were these other illegal wars? (as they were approved under UN international laws)

How am I trying to make excuses? People on here are claiming Islam is the cause for all these terrorist attacks while I'm claiming it's not and that it has far more to do with the millions of dead in illegal wars and ongoing western interference in the middle east.

But of course to the people on this thread it has nothing to do with any of that and everything to do with verses from the Quran.

you're still excusing terrorism. Obviously it's not just islam, because we don't have 1.9 billion islamic terrorists in the world.

There is no excuse for killing people because of a mad idea in someone head.

• Advertisement

Excusing terrorism? How the hell am I doing that? By explaining to people the reasons that these terror attacks happen? That's what qualifies for excusing terrorism these days?

Advertisement