Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah most Republicans in power are pro vaccine most notably Trump. I think because he thankfully is off social media people don't follow what he says these days which is understandable but nonetheless he has been pro vaccine since day 1 and is likely to use the vaccine rollout as one his main achievements when he runs in 2024.

De Santis, Abbot etc all pretty pro vaccine also, the only GOP types who aren't the headbangers in the house MTG and Boebert etc,,,and while they make a lot of noise online they don't matter that much to the GOP overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not directly related to Trump but certainly is an interesting story about one of his supporters.

Remember all the claims about Biden being compromised because of Hunter connections in Russia?

This is a sitting Republican representative who went to Russia, supposedly met someone and fell in love and got married within 8 months.

(Could well be another example of the conservative hypocrisy around accusing others of that which you are guilty)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just noticed that Cawthorn got divorced after just 8 months of marriage. It's always amusing when the very people who bang on about "the sanctity of marriage" and "family values" ditch all that in their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Reference the viability of Trump's chance to have an effect on the next election, the outcome of his planned media event at Mar-Al-Lago on the 6th [the 1st anniversary of the insurrection bid by his supporters on various fronts] should be telling when what he says is given a rigorous post-mortem for truth and fact, if in fact it does go ahead and not cancelled on or before the date.

Until he renounces the lies of his claims to still be president and throws in the towel publicly on his and others efforts to promote his viability for another term, I'll decline to accept that we must take it for granted he will not run for it again. IMO, it's simply not safe to do so given the public claims from persons still high in US national affairs that they see him, and not Biden, as their legitimate president.

If he does throw in the towel, it must not be accepted as a quid-pro-quo for his not being prosecuted on charges of instigating the 2021 insurrection bid by his deluded followers and leave them to be the sole bearers of responsibility of his efforts to overthrown the established US Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump has cancelled the Mar-A-Lago media event he had planned for the Capitol insurrection bid 1st anniversary, blaming the news media and the House Committee investigation for the cancellation. Two new lawsuits have been started against him by former Capitol Police officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,724 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not sure id even see it as a concession to sense, in that it’s still self serving after all - he sees himself as the chief reason there are vaccinations, thanks to his project Warp Speed (which was a good program in fairness), and has always wanted to soak up as much credit for that as possible.

The problem on the avid Trump supporters side is that it’s a bit too much doublethink to process… there’s no covid, it’s just a cold, it’s a trick, masks are an affront to freedom, Trumps vaccines to lower the virus risk are great. In fairness, it’s a particularly hard circle to square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I watched a Jan 6th INsurrection! documentary on RTE last night. On 4 seperate occasions claims were made that the event was analogous to 911...

And people wonder why some say the democrats will have a miserable mid term this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not sure many American voters care all that much about a documentary on RTE, they're more concerned with domestic terrorists having another go at it.

It was an American documentary. RTE were just showing it late last night.

Got you. I expect the mid terms will only make things worse, regardless of the result. Maybe a large terrorist incident is on the cards. But the 6th is almost over in the USA and all is calm.

• Advertisement

It was a terrible thing that happened, but the hyperbole since has been absurd.

I seen some people saying "democracy nearly died that day" ,,,their was approximately 0.000000000000000000001% chance of those **** losers who stormed the capital achieving their goals.

I don't think it matters much to anyone outside the bubble on both sides, whether that is a good or bad thing is a debate for another day but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do you think that the insurrection was a stand alone incident, without any contributory factors and not been driven by any particular narrative?

Because that is what you are implying. That ist failed, therefore the people are losers, and it can be filed away as just one of those things.

Have you read Peril? Do you know the legal advice memo that they attempted to use on Mike Pence to get him to throw out the votes?

Have you really not joined the dots that the insurrection wasn't actually part of the plan? It was meant to be a show of strength, a way to pressurise any swaying GOP senator, like Pence, so row in behind Trump. But it clearly got out of hand. They got further, and some of them were far more violent, than they had planned for. And they also thought BLM or others would turn up in counter protest which would muddy the waters more.

It is obvious is you spend any time actually researching the events before, during and after the 6th what actually happened and how close the US really did come to their democracy being destoyed.

Also, you seem to be equating hyperbole to an insurrection. In your mind are both of them (if we play along with you that hyperbole is real) are similar? That you place the violence and insurrection in the same league as a few over excited commentators getting a bit carried away (again, I am, for the sake of argument, allowing that hyperbole is real in this case)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Do you think attempted murderes should be let off thier charges because they were unsuscessful in their mission?

The people who went their have been have been arrested and plenty are going to end up in jail which we can all agree is correct.

It was obviously very bad what happened and yes Trump, and those who organised it and the rubes who were larping that day deserve punishment, but the hyperbole has been a little over the top.

Their is a reason bar outside the MSNBC echo chambers that this won't resonate with many is because the world and most certainly democracy did not end that day.

People have moved on for better or worse.

Nope.

The sitting President instigated actions that led to the constitutional process of certifying the election being interrupted. And it is likely that this happened with sitting members of congress encouraging and guiding those actively breaking in to the capitol.

And the same sitting President at the time is the current favourite to President after the 2024 election. Republicans held 11 investigations in to the actions around events in Benghazi, they have zero business telling people to move on from this.

If you could point to one 'attempted murderer' in the myriad of footage available I would eat my own hat.

I've never seen a more overblown and over-exaggerated event in my life. There have been Black Friday sales more deadly than the Jan 6th 'Insurrection!'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You completely missed the nuance of my analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Irish people getting upset at an attack on our democracy that day lol

I'm not sure the people saying 'it#s an attack on "our" democracy' are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

maybe your right but I don’t buy into this was an attack on democracy worldwide.

it happened in the US carried out by Americans

For sure, nobody smashed the windows of any of our government buildings or beat any of the Gardai outside to death. I just can't see something like that happening here right now. But the US political climate does have knock-on effects on the rest of the world. Trump losing the election would have been felt by the Tories in the UK, for instance.

I trust that all of the people playing down what happened on Jan 6th would feel the same way if some unholy mixture of AntiFa and BLM supporters had stormed the Capitol in an attempt to prevent Donald Trump's election from being certified in January 2017.

Exactly, Trumps victory enabled Johnson, Bolsanaro, Orban to name just a few and he being in power was used by Russia, North Korea, Israel to drive their own initiatives.

Any observer of current affairs can see the influence the US still has on geopolitics whether that be for good or negative means.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,016 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is that supposed to be a 'Gotcha'? It doesn't matter who stormed the Capitol or any other national parliament, that is not the way to dispute an election. You are, of course, completely missing the point that Antifa and BLM did not storm the Capitol in 2017, nor anyone else, no matter how horrified they were at the idea of Trump as president.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

For the past few days the voices that have been loudest in trying to minimise and play down what happened on January 6th are the same ones that were hyperventilating about the BLM protests and clutching their pearls about supposed AntiFa attacks at every given opportunity. Right wing media is rife with this hypocritical way of reporting. I saw a montage the other day where someone edited Fox News clips to show footage of the Jan 6th attacks with the sound of their pundits wailing about BLM and it was perfectly congruent.

Of course the biggest hypocrites of all are the Republican party. Most of them chose to let Trump off the hook immediately afterwards and then tried to duck even having an investigation into what happened that day. This from the same party that held a ludicrous number of hearings into the attack on Benghazi several years ago. They then have the gall to talk about "election security" when some of their own members were clearly on board with circumventing the will of the people in order to keep Trump in charge.

Make no mistake about it. Had the shoe been on the other foot, as outlined in my previous post, we'd have seen a response more similar to 9/11 that would have been bi-partisan in nature from the elected officials. I suspect that the actions by the authorities on the day would have been very different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Detritus70

No insults please.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is the root of it, full square. Even on Boards you'll see a certain clatter of posters absolutely riven with either rage or fear over BLM or ANTIFA; both groupings spoken as terrorists, or general threats to democracy. Yet Jan 6th is passed off as a peaceful "nothing burger" with a spectacular degree or hypocrisy from these same individuals. Imagined leftist bogeymen are easier to swallow than an attempted insurrection by good 'ol boys on live TV. You'd wonder had Nancy Pelosi been captured, would even that have spurred some emotion?

Even now a recent poll showed Republicans downplay or ignore what happened and who egged them on - how does political normalcy lurch on with that kind of dissonance now engrained? If an actual, albeit chaotically organised, coup is given shoulder shrugs by one half of the political establishment, what's next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That Ted Cruz interview on tucker Carlson was just pathetic. People talk about the democrats getting stuck in purity tests, but it’s happening in the GOP also. If one doesn’t stick to the narrative they are called out on Fox News. Ted Cruz was right to say what he said about January 6th most recently, as he was the other over a dozen times he’s said it in the past year.

Advertisement