Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why do they say there was an overpayment of taxes (it seems very unlikely) and there should be no late penalties? And how does the endless audit fit into all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It begs the question who would take up the job [if offered it] knowing that Mazars, a firm with a reputation to protect, walked away from a former US President and long-term client who's under NYC civil criminal investigation.

Ref the overpayment of taxes question, that might be in the Mazars statement to indicate the state Trumps tax returns affairs are in covering the firms ass in case there is a chance that Trump might be return-compliant after all, which can keep the firm from being sued by Trump for issuing a misleading statement damaging to his good name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It just gets better!

So Trump published this statement from Mazars

The N.Y.A.G has now filed the letter and the above statement as an exhibit as evidence AGAINST Trump 🙈🤣

Former President Trump may have made himself liable to charges under whatever federal law passes for the "Official Secrets" act in the US. It's been known for some days now that documents from the time he was president had been found at his Mar-a-Lago home and that he had been in the habit of destroying and damaging some of the documents. However its been reported that the US National Archives has found documents marked top secret and classified at Mar-a-Lago which were moved there from the White House by Trump AFTER he left the office of the presidency, making it possible he had no legal right or authority to possess or be in possession of those documents found in his Mar-a-Lago home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Truths and re-truths, the tweets and retweets of the new Trumpian twitter lite. Genuinely Orwellian.

Hopefully it continues to be disfunctional until he gets his day in court.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/21/tech/trump-truth-social-app-store/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no doubt it'll be as successful as all of Trump's other business ventures. I know this forum expects more refined, thoughtful contributions but .. eh, I can't, in good conscience, fashion a neutral position on a business idea so transparently spite and bitterness filled as "I'm going to make my own social media platform, where everyone can tell me how great I am!". As a developer though, I'm dead curious what chumps Trump got to build this; cos the man is an infamous cheapskate, also known to skip out on paying people their dues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When will Twitter sue him for copyright infringement? Can they just shut him down by court order? Will they try suing Apple as well for infringement?

Early days - the site does not even work properly yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why waste legal fees giving "Truth" more publicity than it deserves? If Twitter chased them it would only validate and embolden its evangelists that Trump's app was worrying liberals - trying to shut down (the) Truth. It would give fuel to this persistent nonsense that Big Tech has a liberal bias. IIRC there are already conservatives trying to claim the various teething problems are a Democract ploy. Easier - and faster - to let it die in obscurity; the app stores are full of Social Media wannabes that never took off. Christ I remember interviewing for a company fadó fadó in ancient Ireland, whose pitch was Facebook - but only for the Irish Diaspora. So ... Facebook then?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - It will self-destruct without the need for any external intervention.

Leave it to die alone , infested with spam and bots and little else.

Everything about how they've launched it is the wrong way to launch a social media platform.

• No Web Interface - without it , no one can cross post properly (other than a screen-shot), so it's the ultimate "members only" echo chamber.
    • No Android Access - Immediately removes ~40% of US Audience (70%+ Global audience)
    • Throttled account creation - Why would you do this? , smacks of cheaping out on hosting/ infrastructure.
    • Account Creation errors - Just piss-poor Dev and testing processes

Social Media thrives on visibility and ease of access yet they have managed to limit access and visibility in almost every conceivable way at launch.

In short , it is just like every other Trump Enterprise - Poorly thought out , poorly implemented and woefully underfunded.

I debated even sharing this, under the belief that it's for everyone's benefit we just try and forget Trump; but then given the man keeps threatening to run in 2024, I also think it's worth periodically reminding ourselves that thundering buffoon was US President - and in charge of the most powerful military in the world.

To whit: Trump's genius idea for the current Ukraine-Russia conflict? put Chinese flags on the US jets before they bomb the Russias, so the two can then go at each other. Now, the audience laughed and it's always possible this was meant to be a joke. But then ... it's a pretty shítty joke all the same. Given this was the same PResident who spoke of nuking hurricanes, drinking bleach to cure CoVId and on and on, I'm not convinced this was a joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It just further highlights how terrifyingly out of his depth he was and continues to be.

He says things that you might hear among a group of lads 6 or 8 pints into a night out when they are all just sh!te talking about current affairs.

It's a basic lack of intelligence being displayed , it's also a product of an incredibly pampered and sheltered life.

We all have that person in our extended acquaintance group who with all of the confidence that stupidity provides, frequently spouts utter nonsense about serious matters. However ,in normal groups they get called out on their crap and told to get a grip.

It's clear that no one has EVER done that to Donald Trump and no one has ever asked him to explain exactly how his idea might work which is also why everything he says is so utterly throw-away and superficial.

Floating a balloon to see what the reaction of the audience is: If they laughed, go ahead with it, if they looked aghast, say it was a joke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know it wasn’t a joke, because he has no sense of humour. I’ve never seen him laugh at anything anyone says, only his own terrible jokes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This is 100% true, but that never stopped his lickspittles and various media mouthpieces from deflecting with that claim Trump was joking - often for the purposes of reframing liberals as joyless fundamentalists. I haven't seen much fallout from his fighter-jet comments, bar the inevitable roasting he has received from Late Night pundits (as a sidebar, since 2016 Seth Meyers has revealed himself an incredibly astute, canny commentator in that regard).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Update. Trump is a tricky position now, he loathes endorsing losers and Perdue not only lost his senate seat (largely due to Trump lol) but those numbers are pretty brutal and will mean Trump will have to work very hard to get Perdue through the primary which is only 2 months away.

Chances are he wont bother but their is few people Trump loathes more than Brian Kemp .

Their is nobody more MAGA than Mo Brooks who Trump endorsed but looks like he will lose his primary so Trump going to switch his endorsement to the establishment GOP candidate.

I still think he gets the nomination easily enough in 2024, but beginning to see signs that he is not the Juggernaut he was previously.

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/1504157529928093699

One of the US TV media show hosts on SKY [not CNN] mentioned yesterday that GOP voters were seeing him as being less relevant to the GOP in terms of vote-attraction; specifically that due to being less visible on media outlets:Twitter etc, Trump did not have the power that he once held over the fortunes of elected senior GOP members or those seeking election. It only remains to be seen if GOP candidates seeking his help will be from the QAnon quarter alone or whether regular GOP Politicians will seek his assistance on a quid pro quo basis.

A Trump endorsement is not really that much use any more (if it ever really was)

He's only giving out endorsements in Hyper Red states where the Primary is all that matters and even then he's not helping outsiders close the gap that much at all.

Now - Going all out "Never Trump" isn't going to help any GOP Candidate in a Primary , but keep your mouth shut and not having his endorsement isn't going to hurt you very much at all.

And his endorsement is next to worthless in the actual Election anywhere remotely competitive , in fact I'd suggest it's a huge negative whicvh is why you'll never see a high profile endorsement from Trump where it's a close Red/blue race.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s hilarious, he tries to play “kingmaker” but only endorses sure winners. His endorsement does nothing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It is quite jarring if you see him speaking back in 2015 to nowadays. It was a small thing but I really took notice of him saying the F-word in his recent Georgia speech. He would have had the mental discipline not to do that even a few years ago. His meandering rants are getting worse as well. There are always large sections of his speeches now where the atmosphere looks dead and the crowd look positively bored. I don't think another 2 years is going to do any of that any good. Sure, in 2024 he could probably run purely on his reputation and legend within the Republican party but he's going to have to be somewhat coherent and presentable considering he'll likely have to go through a series of primary debates as well as umpteen speeches and interviews before he even gets to the general election.

If I were Joe Biden I'd be far more worried about running against Ron DeSantis then I would Trump. I think Biden clearly thinks that himself considering he recently said "I'd be lucky to be running against that guy" when asked about Trump in a Q & A.

Agree completely.

Trump running in 2024 is worth quite a few points of margin to the Democrats .

"Generic GOP" runs and quite a few Democrats stay at home because Biden (or whoever is running , isn't a perfect match in their eyes). Trump runs and they ALL come out to vote just to stop him.

• Advertisement

If they are allowed vote.

The way the GOP are acting, regardless of who is running for them the dems needs to go out and vote.

The twitter ban is an interesting one. I have no interest in debating the rights and wrongs of it as its been done to death.

However which is not certain, has the social media ban hurt him overall?

Yes he is less visible and fuming over it all, but a major issue for the "moderate" Republicans who either voted Biden or sat at home was not his politics but how loud he was all the time regarding social media. He is still doing well in polls v Biden/Harris so maybe him been turned down has actually done him a a favor. Obviously we can only speculate until 2024 is over.

Regarding his endorsements, the good news for him he is shameless so he won't mind endorsing numerous candidates until he picks the winner, but the Peredue one in Georgia will genuinely upset him. He merely dislikes Hilary, Biden, Nancy etc, but he truly loathes GOP people whose careers he felt he made if they step anyway out of line. It looks like Kemp who supposedly was not able to stop the steal (lol) in Goergia will win that primary over Perdue who is running on nothing bar "stop the steal" and "maga".

He has endorsed plenty of "normal" Mitch McConnell type Republicans because as alluded to here, been on the winning side is much more important than ideology.

On 2024 if you are a Dem you want Trump to win the primary, yep of course 2016 will always sting, but the one thing that will unite the Dems is Trump on the other side, someone like Hailey, RDS etc and its very tough to unite all the factions.

I see Trump has endorsed Sarah Palin. She's running in a special election for Alaska's sole House seat (the former congressman, Don Young, died a few weeks ago after 49 years in the job).

This will be the first chance to see Alaska's new system for federal elections:

1. Open Primary - this happens on June 11th. The top 4 will proceed to the General Election. There are currently over 50 people declared for this.
    2. General Election - this happens on August 16th. This will be done by Ranked Choice voting

Side note: since this is an election year, this entire process will happen twice. The second election's open primary will be held on August 16th and the general election in November.

Someone could conceivably win the first election and then lose the one in November thereby only serving for a few months in Washington.

Weird fact: The last two Alaska House representatives died in aircrafts.

Remember when Palin was the "fringe" element in the GOP?

How quaint that was when set against absolute nut-bags like Boebert and MTG?

Think Palin is going to find it hard to stand out from the crowd on the nutty-scale..

Without Palin there Palin there might never have been MTG or Boebert. She opened the door and showed that you could be electable as someone with no actual interest in carrying out the duties of being a politician. You're right though, she's going to have to up her game if she hopes to compete with those two and all of the new nutcases who will no doubt be elected this year in the same category.

Palin didn't even finish her term as Governor of Alaska that time. It'll be interesting to see if the voters there hold a grudge over that. The Ranked Voting might also favour a moderate there. Alaska has been slowly getting less red in recent times. Trump only got 52% of the vote there in 2020 and Don Young didn't break 55% in his final 4 elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Given that Twitter might be under new management soon, how would Trump getting his account unblocked change things? Someone further up mentioned his lack of visibility since his ban.

Update on this.

Trump giving Perdue 500k is a lot, but in terms of this race its not really a game changer as Kemp has a serious war chest.

Trump has disowned previous endorsements to save face, but his loathing of Kemp is unreal.

Its going to be interesting though if this increased effort will be enough to derail Kemp.

Also keeping an eye on endorsements,,,,

Vance looks like he may get it in the Ohio senate race,,,its an odd one as he isn't really challenging the front runners who are pretty establishment GOP.

So why back a possible loser? Vance is backed by Peter Thiel who is pally with Trump so figure it out!

Oh and for good measure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

New York Attorney General Letitia James, who is investigating allegations of fraud in the Trump Organization’s real estate dealings.The ex-president and his associates have so far refused to comply with Ms James’s demands for documents

Donald Trump was held in contempt and fined $10,000 per day for failing to comply with a subpoena requiring he turn over documents to New York Attorney General Letitia James.

“Mr Trump, I know you take your business seriously, and I take mine seriously, I hereby hold you in civil contempt and fine you $10,000 a day,” said New York Supreme Court judge Arthur Engoron.

Taken from here.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of mockery going around at the moment, aimed at big strongman Trump, terrified of dangerous tomatoes: it came out as part of a deposition for a Civil Suit by protestors who were turfed out of a Trump rally in 2015...

Dictor: So you were speaking to the audience when you said if they saw someone getting ready to throw a tomato, just knock the crap out of them, would you?

Trump: That was to the audience. It was said sort of in jest. Buy maybe, you know, a little truth to it. It's very dangerous stuff. You can get killed with those things. ... I wanted to have people be ready because we were put on alert that they were going to do fruit. And some fruit is a lot worse than -- tomatoes are bad by the way. But it's very dangerous ... they were going to hit -- they were going to hit very hard.

Advertisement