Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Options
  • 12-12-2021 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

New regulations new season....

Can redbull keep up the pace

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

Any dates for testing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Waiting to see how bad Omnicrom affects things.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

After that finish to the 2021 season, can we even hope for as close of season? I for one hope the merc dominance since 2014 is matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Toto and Christian should both get race bans for 2022 for their carry on and trying to influence the safety car procedures.

• Advertisement

Move to bigger rims and no barge boards ... Wonder will it mix up the pack?

I'd love to see Haas somewhat competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The new rules are an almost complete reset, except for the engine where Mercedes are likely to retain their current large advantage. It will be interesting to see how they cope with the way they've been humbled this year and whether they can produce another dominant car or not. If they are at the front the dynamic between the drivers could be spicy because I expect Russell to be a stronger driver than Rosberg and we know how that went.

Ferrari really should be competing for the title next year, they've been throwing everything at next years car while they were out of the title hunt. Alpine too, it's time to finally put in the performances of a full constructor rather than a member of the midfield pack, they've been languishing for far too long and there's no longer any excuses. Both teams have top class drivers too in Sainz and of course Alonso. How amazing would one last title challenge from Fernando be?

Having thrown everything at this season and with Honda withdrawing, it would take a mighty effort for Red Bull to stay at the top but with the talent of the guy they have driving the car anything is possible. It will be great to finally see number 1 back on the grid. Alpha Tauri will be similarly impacted by the Honda transition so they might be more likely to re-assume their traditional lower-midfield position than the sort of results Gasly's been pulling off this year.

Williams have more comfortable finances since Dorilton came in, and the same with Haas and Uralkali, so you'd expect them to move forward but probably not dramatically. I'd love to see Mick Schumacher at least have a chance to show what he's capable of in the midfield. Sauber are the team I forsee being dead last, they've little momentum going for them and a weaker driver line up for next season too.

I worry McLaren may be facing difficult times because, although their on track performances have been solid this year, their finances haven't been and they've been selling the family jewels to keep things running. We've seen them really drop off in the development race.

The last team to mention is Aston Martin. They've had a poor year but historically they are the team who've always given the absolute best performance per dollar spent, so you'd expect them to do well with the influx of Stroll money and the cost cap rules should suit them too. I expect it will be more of a transition year for them though as their new factory isn't completed until late in 2022, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of the same for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Barcelona, scheduled for 23 to 25 of February 2022 and Bahrain, from 11 to 13 March 2022.

Mercedes likely to dominate again - I expect them to nail the regs. Red Bull might struggle with the transition from Honda to their own in house engine management and supply. Hoping Ferrari are competitive at the front. And would love to see Haas have a decent car to see what Mick Schumacher can do in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I thought engine regs are pretty much frozen now, and Honda are still making next year's engine even if not badged as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Title odds:

Hamilton: 4/5

Max: 5/2

Russell: 13/2

Leclerc: 16/1

Sainz: 25/1

Checo: 33/1

Lando: 40/1

Alonso: 66/1

Ricciardo: 66/1

Gasly: 66/

Hamilton far too short. I like Russell and Alonso at those prices.

• Advertisement

All a bit of a guessing game as nobody knows what the 2022 cars will be like but I'd expect Mercedes to have the best car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My understanding is that the engines will be frozen but they're not frozen yet. So they're all scrambling to gain any performance before they get frozen.

I had thought Honda will do the development and Red Bull will take over and build the engines once frozen now Honda will step away. Then Red Bull will work on designing and building a new engine for the new formula in 2026. I imagine they'll try to poach loads of staff from Honda and other existing teams.

Are the engines frozen at the beginning of 2022 or 2023?

Post season testing tomorrow and Wednesday with the new 2022 tyres. Also will see Bottas and Guanyu Zhou in the Alfa and Russel in the Merc.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

Yeah previous form suggests Mercedes will be favourites but that's all we have to go on.

Word was that Mercedes stopped development very early on this years car. But given the performance gains later in the season I wouldn't be surprised if they focused a bit more on this year's car than they let on. They might not have the focus on next year's car that they would have had in previous years when had the championship in the bag from early on.

There's no change to the engine regulations is there? Basically they could just slap this engine into next year's car.

Yes Honda are still involved, but they're on a slow retreat and it's doubtful they're throwing as many resources at a project that doesn't have their name on it. There will be a lot of staff handovers and restructuring happening which will undoubtedly be a distraction from regular development.

They could still pull off a big gain of course, Brawn managed it in the past on the chassis side when they were taking over from a Honda retreat. But it's less likely.

And while the regulations are frozen, the engines themselves aren't. As we saw at Brazil, even with a supposedly homologated engine it's possible to make huge performance gains, so you'd expect all engines to make a performance step for next year and Honda / RB will be on the back foot relative to the other three.

Motorsport.com: Shwartzman puts Haas on top as Abu Dhabi F1 test ends.

Someone'sasking about the times from testing this week and I found today's testing times. I think they're completely irrelevant. Mercedes were using a 2019 'mule car'. What's a mule car? It doesn't sound good but what exactly does it refer to?

It's a car from a previous season that's had its suspension, brakes and wheel hubs modified to take the new 18" tyres for next season for the purpose of testing them. Those cars weren't designed for those tyres so have to be modified to take them.

We're going to know feck all til testing, even that'll be mostly shakedowns. The teams seem to be bang on with simulator stuff at this stage (though there's been a few races where I wonder about blindspots) so in testing it'll be a case of hitting certain corners at certain speeds to make sure it matches the simulator. Maybe a small set up change, go again etc.

The mule cars are completely irrelevant. They don't need to be legal either. They're just any old shite (usually fairly recent car) modified to give tyre performance data for new tyres. So change the weight higher or lower than the mule started at to match next season's, change the weight distribution, add more or remove downforce, all to give what's expected to be the characteristic performance of the new cars and see how the tyres handle it.

Unfortunately the Pirellis are so feckin finickity that there's a chance a team or two could start the season not able to hit the dreaded operating window. But yeah, it's mostly irrelevant.

Would love to head off testing but as with everything at this stage there's no point having a dream. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is a really good watch and he has other videos that are really good too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I see that Lewis was knighted this week. I already thought he was "Sir Lewis"?

I'm sure sky referred to him as that a few times. Fair play either way.

The ceremony was cancelled last year due to Covid I think and rescheduled for today.

Guessing it was the official conferring or something? Likely suspended during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I think he was not officially knighted untill today. So next year he will be even more obnoxious to listen too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Some fun facts about our new defending world champion:

He's the first world champion since Niki Lauda who's never raced Michael Schumacher.

He's the first world champion without a Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault engine since Schumacher in the Benetton Ford of 1994.

He's the first world champion who didn't drive the constructor's championship winning car since Mika Hakkinen in 1999.

He's the first world champion powered by a Honda engine since Ayrton Senna.

Just on the 3rd point: Hamilton won the drivers championship in 2008 while Ferrari won the constructors.

Once the birthday or New Year honours are announced the recipient is permitted to be referred to as Sir or Dame or put "_BE" after their name, even before the ceremony itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can almost guarantee he won't refer to himself as Sir Lewis or anything like that. But can equally guarantee that Sky will refer to him like that, so that'll suck.

I see that we have formal confirmation that Max will be number 1 (I know we knew that all along) next season too: https://www.planetf1.com/news/confirmed-max-verstappen-number-1/

Made me wonder - if they went with the old style form where each team were issued with 2 numbers, who would each team assign? I assume it'd be Max 1, Checo 2, Hamilton 3, Russell 4, Leclerc 5, Sainz 6 (probably? - Sainz did finish higher, but assume Ferrari prefer Leclerc), Norris 7, Ricciardo 8, Alonso 9, Ocon 10 (or vice-versa?), Gasly 11, Tsunoda 12, Vettel 14, Stroll 15 (or would his dad make Stroll their number 1?), Latifi 16, Albon 17, Bottas 18, Zhou 19, Schumacher 20, Mazepin 21 (or would his dad make him their number 1?)

• Advertisement

If Red Bull replaced Perez with Vandorne, Then put McLaren in the next garage, then put Aston Martin after that but replace Stroll with Latifi you'd get cars 1 (VER) 2 (VAN) 3 (RIC) 4 (NOR) 5 (VET) and 6 (LAT) in that order. Fun history quiz. Before Ricciardo and Norris when was the last time McLaren ran cars 3 and 4 and who had what number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement