Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Interesting little bit of history on Albert Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looks like a big change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

visual summary of changes which i dont think the above video shows too well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,554 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I hope the changes work. It's pretry reliable as one of the worst races on the calendar.

Glad they're making the effort to improve it. F1 had had a really terrible arrangement for the last few years where the 2 biggest races (season opener and Monaco) are complete duds. I'd drop both races in a heartbeat but I know lots of people are attached to Monaco through the fact that it's survived for so long and hearing about the parties.

It would be good if they can sort out Albert Park and turn into a decent race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Alpha Tauri launch: 14th of February.

Alpine launch: 21st of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Finally properly confirmed that Barcelona testing will be behind closed doors. Booooo

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/no-fans-tv-coverage-barcelona-pre-season-test/7620825/

Aye, shower of bastards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It's like they're trying to save the embarrassment for any teams who get it majorly wrong, or if HAAS get it majorly right

It's a stupid decision. It's to do with Bahrain getting exclusive rights to broadcast testing but then the teams wanted a test at Barcelona because they prefer it for whatever reasons. Maybe its more useful to them as they have comparable data from other years racing and testing or maybe the track is more representative.

F1 are dopes for allowing this to happen. Although there are probably very few people who would be excited about testing who won't already watch the season anyway but it's stupid to allow testing to be unreleased.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Makes more sense if there's a contract with Bahrain but equally silly to just have one in Barcelona behind closed doors.

• Advertisement

So the F1 solution was to do a test in Barcelona but not call it a test so they don't broadcast it and don't have to admit they didn't broadcast a test.

It's clever politics but it's and example of F1 being more an industry than sport. A sport would want people to see the events. It would want to advertise them and push them in front of potentially interested audiences. Instead it's caught up in the business side and having to downplay a test and downgrade it to a shakedown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Will there be photos and released lap times though? There'll be no audience, but are the media allowed at the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Liberty could've insisted on it, therefore they'd get maximum viewership on the first race

Media can attend and cover it through social media but I don't think they can use a traditional medium like radio - so no bbc5 radio coverage.

And f1 will release summary information but I'm not sure if there will be live timing data on the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Max Verstappen has unveiled his new helmet design,

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-verstappen-unveils-2022-helmet/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This is part of the dripfeeding to, amongst her things, keep Mercedes and Lewis on side.

Problem with replacing Masi is that there aren't any obvious candidates. They havebt been training anyone else and that's why they ended up with Masi.

We'll have to see how it goes.

Was bound to happen, I wonder will they actually replace Masi or just bolster up the amount of people who help make the decisions?

He was between a rock and a hard place.

Ferrari were running their old 2018 car at Fiorano today. They no longer have UPS backing, but Santander have returned and have another new sponsor in CEVA.

• Advertisement

Ferrari were planning to use last years car for this test but the FIA clarified that they couldn't use such a recent car. The rules were clear. They were just chancing their arm on trying last years car.

A 4 day test seems like a big expense in a cost cap era. I wonder why they thought they needed so much practice with such an out of date car

This is interesting. Honda will supply complete engines and full track support until the end of the current formula in2025

Motorsport.com: Honda set to extend direct Red Bull supply to 2025.

"The original strategy as announced late last year was that the new Red Bull Powertrains division would take complete power units from Honda, with full engineering support at the tracks, only in 2022.

Once RBP had got up to speed it would then build the engines from Honda parts at its Milton Keynes facility in 2023, 2024 and 2025 while simultaneously working on its own project for the new F1 rules that come into force in 2026.

However Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko has revealed that the plan has changed, and the intention now is that Honda will continue to supply complete engines from Japan to Red Bull and AlphaTauri until the end of 2025.

Crazy, so Honda could still badge the PUs too.

If I were Honda and I designed, built and ran the engines at the race and they were badged as Red Bull Powertrains, I'd be furious.

I wouldn't say "furious", especially if they are paid a handsome fee for it.

Maybe. But I'd say their main pay off for F1 is branding. I'd expect the Honda name to be on the Red Bull.

Ms

Nice to see someone at Honda had sense and made the right decision this time. I am sure Red Bull and Honda will both benefit from this and both will be happy about it too.

It's also good that Honda is staying in F1 for another while.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So is it the same as last year so? Red bull Honda?

Same, they’d be mad not to especially as the RB will have the No.1 on it as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say so.

The Race podcast was talking about audi and Porsche joining F1. They were saying it hinges on the VW group meeting with the unions in the near future. They're probably going to have to make redundancies and at the same time they want to spend money on 2 F1 programmes. The argument will be that F1 it's an investment which will sell more cars in the future and cause more jobs/fewer redundancies. So it will be a question of whether they can convince the unions to go along with it.

They also said that Audi and Porsche will have very different remits. Porsche is a very profitable business (4 times as profitable per unit sold). So they will be tasked with building an engine. But Audi will have to earn its crust by buying into a team (hence the mclaren connection touted a few weeks ago) and work as a constructor to make the team profitable.

I don't pretend to know any more than they said in the podcast. Well have to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The second episode about Albert Park if anyone is interested

Old article, relating to 2015. Realised I should put that disclaimer in 😅

Worth reading without context, interested to see what others think.

Came across the above after seeing a WTF1 video with a theory that he was electrocuted by the car. Looking it up it all reads a bit weird. McLaren almost Trumpian with their "NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER" messaging and Alonso, I dunno, taking a stand about a concussion maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was never explained properly.

Anything from an Alonso blackout to electric shock was suggested at the time but never cleared up as far as I remember.

So we're into February now. First two car launches (so far) will take place next week on the 10th (Aston Martin) and on the 11th (McLaren).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any truth in the rumours that Aston Martin are struggling to get the car to Barcelona?

Seems all not well in the camp with alot of the workforce not happy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Any Lego fans? Looks like the Mercedes W12 is included in the Lego Speed Champions range this year - https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-speed-champions-mercedes-amg-march-2022-set-revealed/

Lego is cool.

Aston Martin, Merc, and Red Bull have all had some kinds of issues in the off season. Red Bull failed a crash test, Merc denied they did but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Surely you want to be pushing the limit when it comes to your designs? Then make the adjustments needed to then pass the test. That's how I'd imagine it is, if you pass the test first time maybe certain parts of your design is too safe and slow

• Advertisement

Or, it sets them back. Saying that, Adrian Newey was apparently "unconcerned".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In these cost cap days you would rather get it right first time. If you are Haas then you'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The time frames are too tight to be failing crash tests this close to testing. Red Bull probably put more time into last season than they anticipated and could be behind schedule on this years car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If we're lucky then both Red Bull and Mercedes will have diverted an unplanned amount of resources attempting to win the '21 championship, giving the rest a chance to catch up this year. 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ferrari are the ones to look out for. 3rd in the 2021 championship without a race win, ahead of McLaren and Alpine who had a race win each.

If they do drop the ball, catching up will be tough due to the limit they both have on aero time under the new regs as well.

You could say the same about Ferrari every year. They're the biggest name in the sport, have one of the biggest budgets every single year, they have more influence than any single teams should have (they can unilaterally veto changes) and still fail to produce winning cars. They're without doubt the worst value for money team on the grid. They have excellent drivers this year though. Stronger than they've been in recent years. Sainz was a bit of a surprise last year (but so was Norris and they'd been battling hard for the last couple of seasons).

Every now and again Ferrari get it right but they are a very mediocre team with a huge budget that drags them up to above average.

Ms

I see Ferrari are going to name there car for this year the F1-75 in honour of there first production car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

Thanks again to whoever linked racingnews365.com on this thread for a more international perspective on F1 news. It's been a real breath of fresh air.

Their top story right now are an interview with Mika Hakkinen where he states the absolute obvious which the British media have ignored, that the main factor in Hamilton's retirement decision is most likely whether or not he'll have a dominant car again. I've often wondered why certain celebrated world champions like Hakkinen and Prost just never get asked their opinions in the media while other ex drivers seem to never be out of it, and this has made me wonder if it's just the British media only speaking to people who will confirm their biases or refusing to publish stuff that doesn't match the narrative they're trying to portray.

Next stories on the site after that are a solid run down of the 2022 rules and regulation changes and the news that Verstappen and the Mercedes team have been nominated for Laureus awards, along with reports from a few different teams and drivers on 2022 performance expectations.

By contrast the big UK sites like motorsport.com are leading with "Red Bull drivers have a lot of penalty points" which isn't news and reads like another one of their usual attempts at a hatchet job. That's followed up with a puff piece about plucky underdogs Mercedes and all the challenges they had to overcome to build the W12, and of course the usual rumours about Masi being fired are present and correct because they seem to see it as their duty to keep stirring that pot. The laureus awards do get mentioned in fairness, with the headline "2022 Laureus nominees announced" carefully excluding the name of who from the motorsport world is nominated unless you dig into the article.

Never knew how bad things were for McLaren

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement