Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 thread - see post 1 for rules

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

And ITV. James Allen in particular was insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭quokula

Murray supported the British drivers for sure, but he also had honesty and integrity. I remember him once saying that he wanted Hill to win, but he recognised Schumacher was the better driver.

Sky’s crew are the opposite - they would never admit that they wanted the British driver to win, nor would they ever properly acknowledge the achievements of a foreign driver over a Brit.

Instead they pretend to be objective while also throwing out wild conspiracy theories and character assassinations, whether against Max last year or guys like Vettel or Rosberg or Alonso previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think sky are pretty liberal with praise of Max and his achievement. I doubt anyone at Sky said Max didn't deserve the title. I remember the overarching message being that both drivers deserved the title and it had been a great battle between 2 great drivers.

Herbert is a bit of a gob on a stick. Whether by nature or design, his role is to be a bit basic and pro British. But he's more of a commentator than a serious Sky F1 analyst or journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For those looking for a less British slant on coverage, I've recently discovered the RacingNews365 website and podcast, which is an extension of an existing Dutch site. The podcast is hosted by an Irish lad, and they've also hired Dieter Rencken, a well-connected journalist.

Never heard of it but playing the one about Lewis's future now. Thanks. They're not too long either. Podcasters need to learn that less is more.

There's a huge difference between podcast with journalists and podcasts with enthusiasts like Missed Apex

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Been a long time listener to Missed Apex but found them tough to listen to at times last year. They fully admit to being Hamilton fans but seem to think that by declaring that, they have free reign to go full bias, I think it really affects the quality of the show. And then when you see the way that clown Philpot behaves on Twitter, and Spanners himself at times... I've kind of gone off them a bit lately. The episodes with Carter and Saward are always worth a listen though

That's exactly how I feel. Sometimes I think they go overboard in declaring how Ham-Fossi they are and then the coverage seems extra pro Hamilton when it's actually a fair argument.

The Carter and Saward ones are very good because of Carter and Seward. I can't stand Wrenches but the tech-time ones are good sometimes - but always too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Yes exactly. I get that they are just enthusiasts like the rest of us and there is no requirement to be impartial, but it goes way over board. In the early days they tried to be neutral enough, but since they openly declared their Hamilton allegiance they've gone off the scale. And I also saw they got a lot of negative feedback for Spanners behaviour and comments, given that they ask for donations, patreon etc. He's worse on Twitter, fancies himself as some kind of expert troll but is way too touchy for it, then cries like a kid when someone bites back.

The tech times are good but again I find trumpets tough to listen to, the deliberate delays and pausing between words get very tiresome.

Not sure why I listen at all, given all I've done is complain about it. I find The Race podcasts decent enough mostly, their Bring Back V10s series is the best out there imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It was 1997 Trulli led the Austrian GP - it was his last race subbing for Panis. He probably wouldn't have won, even without the engine going bang. Panis had 2 podiums earlier in the year before he broke his legs, and my memory is everyone had expected him to win that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari launch on the 17th of February.

• Advertisement

McLaren launch on the 11th of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do we want a separate thread for new cars? Or fair game here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Prost to leave Alpine role, Otmar Szafnauer to join and so are BWT as a sponsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The great early days of the tyre wars in 1997 when at certain tracks the unfancied Bridgestone runners had so much more speed over the Goodyear runners who were all the top teams were with. Panis was lightning quick in the early races of that season before he broke his legs at Montreal, no doubt he was on course to win races that year and finish top 5 in the drivers standings, that Austrian race was the only one I recall that Trulli looked in genuine contention

"The Subaru 1235 was a motor racing engine designed and built by Motori Moderni for Subaru's Formula One program in 1990. A 3.5-litre boxer-12, it was used by the Coloni team for the first eight races, but proved to be very unsuccessful and the team reverted to using the old Cosworth DFR V8 engineAlba also used it in the World Sportscar Championship in 1990, but were similarly unsuccessful and switched to a 4.5-litre Buick V6 midway through the season."

" For Subaru, Motori Moderni came up with a 3.5-litre, 60-valve flat-twelve engine in the boxer configuration that the Japanese firm's road cars utilised."

Nope, it was a boxer-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

In the page it links to

Unlike most flat-twin, flat-four and flat-six engines, flat-twelve engines typically use the crankshaft configuration of a 180° V engine instead of a boxer engine

The engine is referred to as a boxer all over the place

"Subaru has been dominant in the world of rallying and is still making a decent fist of touring car racing. But back in the late '80s, Formula One was the supreme marketing tool of the automotive industry, and the Japanese outfit decided that it should turn its boxer engine knowledge to the top tier of motorsport."

"The 3.5-litre boxer unit debuted at the 1990 US Grand Prix, but the engine proved to be an unsuccessful companion, with it also failing at Brazil, San Marino, Canada and Silverstone. Despite ferrari's success with the same layout in the 312T '70s car, the large flat engine got in the way of ground effect venturi tunnels that were dominating the F1 landscape by 1990, thus rendering the engine a little redundant."

"I met a guy who knew Carlo Chiti via a chain of friends. Chiti ran an engine company called Motori Moderni. They were in a bit of trouble but they used to do Formula 1 engines for Minardi. They had this boxer-12 engine, made in cooperation with Subaru, that had hardly ever raced. They had trouble with the weight and getting the diffusers to work with the layout of the F1 car once the engine was in."

It's layout is that of a boxer...that is why everyone refers to it as one.

This is beautiful:

Bigger image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Pity they'll have those ugly wheel covers on the cars so it definitely won't look that good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

That Ferrari looks beautiful.

Looking less likely that fans will be allowed at the first week of testing. There's still a bit of time before then so hopefully it changes

Mercedes launch 18th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Mercedes might just be able to confirm their driver line up in time for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ferrari looks great, whether it ends up being that clean in real life remains to be seen so here's hoping!

BWT / Alpine - does that mean it's going to be pink this year??

Maybe a mostly blue and a slightly pink livery.

The Alpine livery was beautiful for the majority of last year until the Castrol colours were on the back of the Alpine for the last two/three races.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

All the renders of 2022 cars and liveries look good. Hopefully there are no loopholes in the regs to start adding ugly appendages on the bodywork.

Post edited by recyclebin on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't really care how good or bad something looks as long as it works. The Halo is still an ugly appendage but unless it's getting replaced by something better it should never get removed. It has saved lives.

I wouldn't care how attractive it is if we could have a complete bolter like Brawn.

I'd love if Haas found the ugliest loophole and could compete for the championship.

Car launch dates so far:

Aston Martin: 10th of February.

McLaren: 11th of February.

Ferrari: 17th of February.

Mercedes: 18th of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Preseason testing

First test -- Barcelona, Spain -- Feb. 23-25

Second test -- Sakhir, Bahrain -- March 10-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I quite like the look of the halo now, it adds to the flow of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

What is this? A leak, or just some bullshit renders?

They look pretty stylish. I'd imagine they're generic renders. It's a fair branding exercise. How else can they get the brand out there now during the lowest point of the off season?

The cars look cool, I think. Really looking forward to seeing the design differences and new liveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Racingnews365.com: F1 moves to ban popular tradition during race build-up.

What a load of bullshyte.

Banning military flyovers to reduce emissions, but straught away creating an exemption for the Arab states to advertise their airlines and Red Bull to advertise their brand.

Why do they go to so much bother to show their green credentials, but never bother to show off how the technology in f1 is pushing the boundaries of efficiency.

I think k they're be better to just not draw attention to the green (or not so green) nature of the sport.

I don't think F1 has a green problem as much as it has a problem with making rules on the fly and being inherently corrupt. This draws attention to both of those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,308 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Will Honda even still be advertising on the Red Bull and Alpha Tauri cars this year or will it be Red Bull powertrains or something else power unit maybe?

Will be interesting to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ryano87

First grid girls and now jets ..... Devastated

• Advertisement

Green bullshit. Talk about the technology and **** off with press packs covered in branding about how green everything is. There's no event that draws 100k people to one place that's going to be green. They can pay money to people planting trees that would have been planted anyway to offset stuff on the "books" but give people a fuckin bit of credit.

Also it looks like they're **** a bunch of fans with testing. Reading that there'll be no-one allowed into Barcelona because the FIA had already given Bahrain exclusive rights for testing, teams wanted more so Barcelona was addedbut there'll be no coverage or attendees. Will likely give Covid as the excuse even though they're having thousands in for indoor events.

The one thing I was looking forward to. 😅

I wonder is it that they wanted to ban the military elements because, let's be honest, it's bloody weird when you think about it having military displays at any sporting event (look at any American sport these days). But using green elements as the primary reason as excuse?

Yeah they announced they're collaborating for a bit longer. I don't think they went into detail on what it means or how it will be different from the old arrangement.

I'd expect the Honda branding to be on the cars.

I believe it will be the RBPT branding, the Honda association is more like a backroom deal, so they are still there but not in a branding exercise.

RB have also gone to huge lengths on the new PowerTrain division, so they will be screaming that aloud.

Hard to know if these are accurate but they're probably pretty instructive.

Interesting to see teammate comparisons. Some really interesting mismatches in there.

Alonso is on 4 times Ocon"s wage but they finished pretty close in the championship 81-74.

Likewise Ricciardo is on 3 times Norris' wage but was trounced by Norris last season 115-160 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Id take that whole list with a big pinch of salt

Red Bull have stated before their driver salaries are heavily dependant on bonuses from good race positions, so stating that Max or Checo’s salary is X before the season starts wouldnt be right

It’s probably guess work rather than having anything close to a real hand on the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I would imagine Checo gets a slice of the sponsors pie that be brings too

Telcel, Walmart, Claro are all his sponsors?

• Advertisement

Really interesting breakdown of the parts which can and can't be shared between teams for the 2022

The x-ray scanning technology and collaborating to the extent of reverse engineering parts has been banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement