Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Given how badly they’re doing in the polls, ASAP I’d say!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

I had no idea - the news seemed so bleak a few weeks back. I must say I am surprised and pleased if this pans out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If I had to guess, I'd say January. Maybe BusConnects before Christmas. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

What are they meeting with an Italian construction firm for? To assess proposed methodologies?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

RINA were appointed as Independent Engineering Experts some time back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As Marno said, RINA are the independent experts. They're needed on a project like this, because people can't be required to have an in-depth engineering knowledge to participate in the planning process. They'll be able to help people form an opinion on it, frame any objections or recommendations, explain anything that might not be obvious, etc.

GADRA, for example, are objecting to the ventilation shaft in their park, and are looking to get it turned into a station.

Quick question, folks, can anyone tell me where exactly the entrances/exits are for the station at Griffith Park?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As of the preferred route consultation, it's got one entrance, which is on the road into the Whitehall College.

So, right around here:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

A useful companion to that would be one showing the year that each country built their last metro. Which would show that many are still building more of them. It would help to counter the impression that we missed the boat and costs are just too high now to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't see how "costs are just too high now". The actual number may be much higher now but in relative terms, were they inflated to today, the costs of those projectsat the time are probably not much different to now. In many of those countries, labour costs are low but the state resources would be low too so they were probably similar undertakings for those countries at the time to what Metrolink would be for us now.

I'd say the cost of Metrolink including operation over say 50 years will actually be lower (in relative terms) than many of those projects. Metrolink will be packed with latest technology and will be driverless. The benefits of Metrolink will almost certainly be relatively much higher too given the functioning of modern economies, bigger population, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Some mildly interesting stuff from Gadra's chat with RINA available on their website. Nothing that someone following the project wouldn't have known or suspected already, but it is interesting to see it coming from an independent engineering perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"I don't see how "costs are just too high now".(....)I'd say the cost of Metrolink including operation over say 50 years will actually be lower (in relative terms) than many of those projects. Metrolink will be packed with latest technology and will be driverless."

I love this logic. Build driveless train so instead of drivers we can pay millions to con-sultans ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is a long time since I have seen a lift (elevator) being operated by a human.

Automation is coming to where it is not already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

GADRA's questions are a fair bit more reasonable than the propaganda posters they have put up. Prior knowledge of MN shafts, active/passive ventilation yet the sign in the park states the shaft is 'useless' and urge people to demand a station in the park.

Don't know what I'm missing a shaft will have far less impact on a park than a station surely?

Yes, some of the questions are from people that have clearly been researching it and learning about it, and then there's people that are asking questions that have been ruled out since they switched to a single bore. The pros and cons of having a large group of people interested in it, I guess.

I think that they're resigned to having a shaft there, and would prefer it to be station so at least there's some benefit to them. There's actually a surprising undercurrent of resentment at Na Fianna in the questions, some clearly feel that they're getting "shafted" because Na Fianna ruled out a station under their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

2 lines of the Paris metro are fully automated. It’s not that modern a concept. A third is under conversion.

but let’s just get the metro built and rolled out as planned here… sick of it being talked about, being tweaked, being debated….the absolute shît show of hesitation….line 14 of the Paris metro was built fully automated 24 years ago…it’s not future or new tech.

but let’s build a fûcking working metro and stop pissing about… in X years with staff attrition which can influence when or if automated metro is viable… unions will resist but driver or driverless…. ? It’s a moot point as we haven’t got a fûckin metro to be driver or driverless… we have a metroless metro…

let’s prioritize putting wheels on the tracks, people on platforms and in seats and let’s go…. Joke-shop of a selfish country with every special interest group pandered to…the interest of the general population, the people paying to build it ? Wanting a metro, needing it ? What about them / us ? Build the fûcking thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I was in Lille a few years back, fully automated system. Work perfectly fine

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Just been reading that.

Thank you for your contribution, Mr Ambassador.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

"Mr Serpi, a native of Rome, arranged the event to share his thoughts on transport and planning in Ireland after four years living here.

He was shocked by the hours people spent commuting here and said an underground metro was essential."

Ah but Rome never had pathological professional contrarians like Sean Barrett and Colm McCarty to deal with. Let alone RTE reporters on the opening of every successful rail service for the last 40 years going 'But will you actually use it?" to some random passenger following terms such as 'profitable' being constantly mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It all hinges really as to what the Government will do with the business case for the project. If they approve it for people who live in Swords; it would be a big step forward to get to that RO stage.

But I don't know what the naysayers will say about it if the business case was approved by the Government. All of these economists who are against the project are really not that experienced in going into the underground areas of the city in seeing the extent of it's design and day to day functions of how it works for it's inhabitants.

Most people living here in the capital who are either not involved or qualified with the complexities of how their own home patch works day to day when underground don't have that luxury to complain about it either.

They could probably show an interest in how it works. But complaining about it with no realistic argument coming into support it must feel a painfully hard slog on your senses to experience every single day.

If the Government gives the project merit to let it go ahead to planning for the RO with ABP. That would be pretty good news for the city. Although I do understand that it won't be an easy job to get it done if the RO gets approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

MetroNorth had RO, an approved business case and was even put out to tender. Until the cheque is signed and there a tbm in the ground, I'm not buying it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Agree, tbms in the ground before I believe this country is actually capable of building a metro. Jury's still out.

But Metro North was a daft design, more like a rough draft than a serious proposal.

What it did was expose the level of cluelessness in the Irish govt about building underground rail.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it was a fully functional design with planning permission (excepting some required changes on the overground section north of Swords)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It really is embarrassing but I don't blame the Italian ambassador one bit. We like to give the image of a modern well-run country but the reality is different.

Remember when the German ambassador had some home truths for us just before the crash and we in our hubris basically told him to f*ck off?

Life ain't always empty.

I said it was a daft design, not thought through properly at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You also said it was a draft which it clearly wasn't.

I'd rather have it operational and be looking at improvements and expansions than where we are now

No I said it was like a draft, because it was so bad.

• Advertisement

There was very little wrong with it. Compared to having absolutely nothing, I'll take your idea of bad (that few will agree with) thanks

Advertisement