Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Would depend on the age groups. People tend to stop going to house parties as they get older.

Although I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some of these house parties for the discussions alone haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Anywhere I can get a jab at short notice ?

I'm thinking of venturing out but dunno is it safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

no more and more people in their 30s are going to house parties that would never dream of going to them if late bars and nightclubs were open.

Hospitalisations and ICU continue to either reduce or stabilise.

All predictions made by NPHET in October have been proven false - again. We are performing better than their best case scenario since we reopened on 23 October.

More restrictions have been introduced because of "speculation" and not "science-based evidence" on Omicron.

Cases are stabilising, too - not that this figure matters, because The Journal and others are offering daily figures as if the country was in the pre-vaccinated era.

And perhaps I'll receive some degree of criticism for saying this, but I've a feeling that Holohan must be absolutely devastated by all of the above; that he's no longer becoming the centre of national attention. Even Michael Martin has curbed the influence of negative NPHET by ensuring media appearances are coordinated by a department of the Taoiseach.

If and when Martin evolves a spine, perhaps these stupid restrictions will be removed - not because NPHET recommend it, because I couldn't give a damn what these people think, but because common sense shows that what's happening re: South Africa, shows that there is no additional risk to a highly vaccinated population.

But Martin won't evolve a spine, and more to the shame about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Late Late show 50% capacity masked audience.

Nathan Carter in Derry tonight, a full house and not a mask in sight.

........ a virus that knows what a border is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

To be fair the Late Late show audience are exceptionally vulnerable individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I don't really give a sh1t about the vaccinated vs unvaccinated as both are spreading the same. I was out tonight and I was in 3 places. Wasn't checked for my cert once. One of them, the celt on Talbot Street was jammers. Not one single bit of guidance followed. No checking of certs. Not a mask in sight anywhere. Staff or customer or otherwise. No limiting access to seating. When I left it was like an other busy night outside of covid.

As I said, I don't have a problem with it. But must be a pain in the hole for any place that is severly limiting their punters and revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I'm sure they'll be delighted with you highlighting it ha

Given that the omicron variant spreads faster than anything before, and given that its a mild cold, might the lockdown brigade and those still recommending that children get jabbed perhaps admit they were needlessly panic stricken?

You may post your revised answers in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have only been in a pub 3 times since they introduced the passes. One was an engagement party where we knew they were not enforcing passes. The other 2 were spur of the moment quick pints who did ask from the passes.

TBH I have no sympathy for places that are harshly enforcing the restrictions. I'm generally avoiding pubs and restaurants that are asking for them.

Anyone I have been talking to over the last few weeks have been saying the pubs have been empty. Especially for a December.

I was in Dublin City centre tonight and it felt like a normal midweek.

The non vaccinated are small part of the population. And I reckon a lot of them are not necessarily pub goers.

It just seems like the pass, assigned seats and feeling the need to book places, just seem to be putting up an invisible barrier to people.

The Vintners have a lot to answer for. They took MUP to keep their mouths shut. MUP will come in January and their pubs won't be earning a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Still waiting on data to how serious it is, boosters also seem to work well against it, but possible cause for optimism either way, not a time for declaring victory.

People believe in the safety of vaccines, omicron won't really change that so the rollout will continue uninterrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm curious to see how long NI hold out. Only the other day all was rosy and they said everything was under control. Then Boris starts introducing some restrictions, Scotland also spooked.... so I expect within 72 hours NI will **** themselves and start rowing back.

Even Boris mentioned a discussion on vaccine mandates and not a peep. Ursula mentioned that and everyone was in uproar (before you say it, neither Boris nor Ursula can change our constitution. It's just a funny comparison. Same speech, totally different reaction)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Healthy kids don't need this vaccine, end off story

Donate the vaccines to other countries who need it.

The anecdotal evidence that the 'unvaxed' dont seem to be struggling with it - seems to suggest that they might *not* have missed a trick.

The anecdotal evidence that the triple 'vaxed' are catching it with the same level of symptoms suggests they might not be particularly 'protected'.

The absolute evidence suggests that the 'vaxed' are the primary carriers and spreaders.

If this were continue would you support the immediate suspension of measures like jabbing kids and special permission 'passports' for pharma consumers? May I assume that you would be happy that we appear to be at the end of the 'pandemic' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its even questionable whether healthy adults need the vaccine or certainly whether they need boosters. By all means give boosters to vulnerable and those that want it. But pumping millions of boosters into healthy people before 3rd world countries get their population vaccinated in the first place is wrong.

The sooner the government realise this, the sooner the vaccine pass can be done away with as it serves no benefit at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The vaccine should now be whoever wants it and drop this coercion crap with the covid pass. Restrictions should also be lifted and people be left to make their own judgements on what they will do. People also need to stop wanting to be nanny'd by the state, time for some to grow up and make those decisions for themselves. It will be interesting to see if they bring in the coercion tactics for the under 12's vaccine if the take up is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

Of course they will, but as has been said before, until there is a push back from large sections of society, restrictions will contuine to exist and be introduced.

The fact hospitality seem to be getting more lax is a good sign. If over a course of a few weeks, every or the vast majority of people have the certs, its quickly going to become apparent that its a waste of time and their staff are better doing real work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Says a lot for our so called world class education system. I find the uncritical acceptance of it all absolutely shocking.

Yes, same with card carrying self declared ‘liberals’ who with their support for all these restrictions have shown themselves to be nothing of the kind. Principle amongst them being Fintan O’ Toole. What passed as liberalism in this country was being anti catholic and the more viciously anti catholic you were, the more you were loved in ‘liberal’ circles.

• Advertisement

In the gym this morning for my kids swimming lessons and am happy to see no covid cert checks, no even signs up about the covid pass.

Ah they are only liberals as long as you fall into line and agree with everything they agree with. If you disagree then you will he labeled right or left wing, conspiracy theorist or what ever the en-vogue label is at the time. Same with all these so called 'woke' folks who butch and moan about equality and treating everyone the same but that all went out the window with the covid pass and now if you are against it you are branded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Good old Fintan the liberal! (Small ‘l’)

He has been the biggest cheerleader and supporter of right wing homophobic and sectarian unionism of them all and can’t even see it he’s so far up his own .......

The latest ‘liberal’ manta is the ‘need’ to vaccinate Africa, ‘we’ must get Africans vaccinated! You see we’re white and know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So really it comes down to whether they are puppets or muppets?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The problem and in my opinion is that from the very start of this pandemic our leaders and NPHET got hung up on and are still hung up on case numbers and not really reading the big picture so to speak.

Hospital admissions and ICU admissions have been fairly steady for the last couple of months but the people in charge are still using case numbers as a stick to beat us with.

Now they want 5 year olds and upwards vaccinated which is absolutely ridiculous as I dont know anyone under 40 thats ended up in ICU.

We can vaccinate every person in the country but we`ll still have cases in ICU - mainly the older cohorts and those with underlying conditions - vaccinating everyone isnt going to stop that. People are still going to catch covid but for the majority it doesnt even cause any symptoms.

My 13 year old had to go for a PCR test this week. Rang the GP-He says go for a pcr. Told him it was her usual bout of tonsilitis that she gets every year but still insisted on a pcr and wouldnt even see her until she got the pcr. Got a negative and it turned out to be her usual bout of tonsilitis that she gets every year. Makes me wonder how many of the cases are cases caught by just gps insisting on PCR tests for other minor ailments. Most gps wont even have a consultation without a pcr test these days.

NPHET need to stop looking at case numbers and try protect the vulnerable.

Actually NPHET need a refresh with some new minds in there that might be less conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well no as that isn't a scientifically sound position as you well know, but good to hear you want to donate more stuff together countries, vaccines aren't the top of their needs list and I guess it would be hypocritical of you now if you don't support other schemes.

Everything with omicron is still to be proven (anecdotal evidence isn't evidence) and it is an absolute undeniable fact that if you encounter the virus you're always better off having the vaccine. Hopefully omicron is milder but we're likely waiting on a care home outbreak to prove if.

Had the same experience myself. I suffer from sinus and chest infections. Rang the Dr to see him and get the usual prescription. Wouldn't see me unless I had a negative pcr test but still gave me a prescription and charged me for it. Still went for the pcr test and was negative finally got in to see the Dr after 2 weeks. Got a battery of tests and x-rays to see if there is an underlying cause. Anyway the Dr asks did I have covid at any time said not that I know off and did I have symptoms said in the summer I had symptoms but thought it was hay fever took an anti histamine going to bed and was fine the next day. Now I am on another course of antibiotics and steroids another xray in a months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bloopy

They were the most vicious of them all.

Certainly opened my eyes on a few people.

Their beliefs and principles are non existent as far as I can see. Never about others nor tolerance. Only self congratulation and control.

This **** mess has been heaven for many of them. Some, I seriously wonder, don't seem to want it to end.

The best example is the Herman cain award subreddit on Reddit. Promoted by at least one prolific poster in here in a few different threads. Filled with people so convinced of their own perfectness and virtue that they've descended into a sociopathic wallowing in the misery of others.

Yes, don’t know if it’s true or not but read that more people die from diarrhoea every day in Africa than die from covid. Not much interest in that.

• Advertisement

Oh there could be a whole other thread on this don't get me started. I find these woke folks are best avoided nothing but misery. Those virtue signallers with I got vacc'd to save everyone when you know they only got the vaccine so they could head out to the pub or restaurant but yeah if you asked them they will tell you how much of a hero they are to protect granny.

Advertisement