Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Donnelly did try imprisoning them for a bit in hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is a CT thread on that exact topic that you can bring your evidence if you're confident in it. As said, your rants now have a basis that you won't elaborate on to prove.

The passes won't be permanent within countries, they might last a lot longer for international travel (which you seem to support anyway). However, it could be 6 months or 3 years before the pandemic is over, so they will be "permanent" till then.

Also not worried about EU overlords dictating anything, that's very tin-foil hat-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

So you agree the measure are age discriminatory and thats okay?

Then why can't we ban vaccinated 80 year olds from indoor dining since they are at higher risk of death/hospitalisation than an unvaccinated 18 year old?

I don't support them for travel.

I said they are tolerable given that there is an option to not inject myself with something and that natural immunity (for only 6 months) is acceptable. I still think they are not needed and don't prove anything. TBH test everyone makes more logical sense. Passes from vaccines don't as you could be sick and travel.

The EU gets bigger every year, they are the ruling class and many unelected. Are they overlords? No, something much worse, Bureaucrats!

The passes aren't effective now, which means they will be here much longer than 3 years.

If after 3 years they are still here you will just accept them.

I honestly don't think there is a point at which you would consider anything that would make you question any of this.

How do you think we end up with dictators and undemocratic societies? Its almost as if you think we will never repeat the mistakes from our past.

Power corrupts. Look at Stephen Donnelly..

All restrictions limit groups in different ways, they're not discriminatory (e.g. "you must be this tall to go on this ride").

They are public health measures designed to reduce R and hospitalisations while trying to minimise impact on people. The vaccinated 80 year old has followed public health advice, the unvaccinated 18 year old hasn't, it's that simple, so many rants and you still misunderstand the fundamentals and what discrimination is (unless the EU overlords want control over unvaccinated 18 year olds?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

An 18 year old is less likely to end up in hospital than an 80 year old vaccinated person.

Public health advise or not. One is more at risk than the other.

If you argument is that "well its not about health at that point, it because you didn't follow the rules"

We are **** lost.

As I said before. There is no scientific logic in your argument. As you pointed out. Its not about science, its about obeying the rules from above. Even if they make no logical sense.

We are still the same old catholic Ireland. Follow the rules. Heads down. Follow the rule.

It is scientific, the goal is to reduce R, not go after the individual measures that decrease R the most (otherwise public transport would be closed), it's a group of measures to keep R down, the measures are arbitrary e.g. 60 year old vaccinated can do more than a willfully unvaccinated 18 year old, because it keeps the R number down and the 60 year old has followed public health measures.

If Omicron is bad or R increases a lot, then restrictions based on age could come in (we already had the cocooning advice).

But everyone who is vaccinated is 95% protected against death and disease. Which would mean that it would be better to let it spread. Get natural immunity and then we'd be out of this quicker.

Essentially what you are saying that there is no acceptable level of risk we can take before we return to normal.

Again. The 80 year old is more at risk of taking up an hospital bed than the 18 year old. No logical heath reason behind banning the 18 year old other than "do as we say, not because it makes sense, but because we said so"

That's what's happening, keep R low enough so that hospitalations don't overwhelm the system but try and keep everything as open as possible, we'll see restrictions fall away into Spring (depending on Omicron, if it has a high reinfection rate alot of people will be impacted, booster jab seems to work well on preliminary results though).

• Advertisement

Its quite bizarre how many people believe if something inst 100% guaranteed its 100% useless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

All I want for Christmas is to reduce R.

So basically the vaccines were not as effective as they hoped.

Passes don't stop the spread as hoped. (hence closing night clubs again)

Got it. I don't think we disagree tbh. Maybe on if at this point we should get on with it or not.

Given that naturally immunity passes expire after 6 months. Do you agree that vaccine passes should also expire given that the ability to prevent infection wanes very quickly and to a low level after the same time period with the vaccine?

Should those vaccinated 5-6months ago be banned from indoor dining in case they kill granny?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Natural immunity doesn't just bluntly pass after 6 months, it wanes slowly, meaning it becomes less effective over time, a year, maybe even 2 years post-vaccination you should still have significant antibodies and T-Cells to protect you from the virus

So, no, the pass should not expire after 6 months

If its dropping while clubs were open. Should clubs be open now? or are these restrictions silly?

I think it's more that the immunity level from infection is unknown vs. consistent with vaccine it could havr stimulated the reaction in the immune system a lot more or a lot less. As a simple example, my son caught chicken pox when very young and had almost no symptoms, I doubt he would have the same resistance as my older son who had the full range of symptoms and reaction.

Vaccines wane over 6 months.

Natural immunity gives longer lasting immunity.

Israeli study confirmed this. Up to 13 x more protection from natural immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just one but that could be a new thing. HCWs were very hesitant on them with rates as low as 30% before this all started. Paul Reid drew attention to it in 2019 and it was a known issue back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Is that based off the reported cases every evening? How is there a big spike in November then down again even though positive swabs have never been over 4900? Backlogs in reporting affect the R number ?

Post edited by Timmy O Toole on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Willfully unvaccinated, christ on a bike. This is the thread that keeps on giving.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

As opposed to the tiny number that can't be vaccinated (that the anti-vaxxers try and blame for everything).

Won't happen. They're only setting a random date in February to try scare/coerce people into getting it. Otherwise they would of set the date as next week. Nobody will pay the "fines", so what are they gonna do? Throw a million+ people in prison? 😄

Also, as Beasty said, stop pretending you're a pharmacist and giving us random, made-up anecdotes. Has no weight here, and nobody cares anyway.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is very sad to see. The way some people have turned on others just because those people have made a decision personal to them that others may not agree with. To see these people labeled as anti vaxxers or willfully unvaccinated or whatever other names they have been called is as I said sad and even sickening to see and to see it being cheered on by others as well. These people want to have a look at themselves in the mirror to be treating fellow human beings like this or is that they see people who are not vaccinated as somehow beneath them. They need to ask themselves why is ok to treat small minority of people who have decided not to get vaccinated when they wouldn't (or maybe they would) do it if it was anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

MM view on international travel :

“In relation to international travel, the Taoiseach

said Ireland would align with the EU on travel

policy.

And he pointed out that the World Health

Organization and the European Centre for Disease

Prevention and Control are not advocating travel

restrictions despite the challenges posed by the

virus.

He said travel restrictions were not "the direction

of travel" right now and the Covid test requirement

introduced here last Sunday had already reduced

the volume of international travel. “

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

The annoying thing is, the hints about restricting travel came via "reports" from nphets meeting....so leaks from nphet then?!

I thought that sh1t was supposed to have been knocked on the head?

So either nphet are still leaking stuff to force the govts hand, or the govt are leaking stuff to soften us up and so they can blame nphet.

If MM says restrictions on non essential travel is not being considered, we can take it to mean its being announced next week :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That does not compute. I'm fairly sure it was nphet/government blaming the unvaxxed for everything.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's conveniently difficult to answer basic questions like that when as usual it's just an image without bothering to link back to the original source. Which I've failed miserably at finding on the OurWorldInData site it appears to be from.

But hey, why bother giving proper credit to people when you can just nick their images, post them without a single word, and consider that a valid argument

They are not in Ireland. You can’t just « avoid » fines there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Copy of post I have just made in the main thread:

We get the fact some of you bare dissatisfied with the performance of the Chief Medical Officer, NEPHT, members of the Government and indeed some of the experts you may pay attention to on TV, radio or indeed the print media

We also get the fact that some of you like to let off steam in this and indeed other threads in the forum

However repeatedly stating your dislike/hatred of such people and abusing them here is not only irritating to posters who like to interact in a civil manner, but it's also highly offensive to the individuals in question. Can posters just refrain from resorting to such commentary as it not going to achieve anything beyond winding up (ie trolling) other users and attracting mod attention

I am copying this warning into the Relaxation of Restrictions thread. but it applies equally across the forum

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Advertisement