Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Great story, but yeah sorry still not getting my kids vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Story", what?

Don't get your kids vaccinated if you don't want to. That's your decision, and you own the consequences. Hopefully there won't be any.

But they're facts, not a "story."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What are the chances of children getting severe symptoms? Enough is enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Reduced chance of getting COVID.

Reduced yes and it seems only if they keep getting boosters every six months for the foreseeable going on current vaccine performance. Two jabs now, then another in May, then another in November, rinse and repeat. Next they'll be getting wee vaccine passports of their own.

Reduced chance of having bad to severe symptoms if they do get it; reduced risk of hospitalisation.

The risks of severe symptoms in the under 25's is tiny. Of the confirmed positives under 25 the risk of hospitalisation is 0.8% and we have no figures on the underlying conditions in that demographic. The risk of death is even tinier. Of the 205848 postive confirmed cases of Covid 19 in Irish people under the age of 25 to date, there were 7 deaths. That's a risk of death in a positive case of 0.003%. Monumentally minscule.

Reduced chance of transmitting it on to other people.

Again reduced, but by how much is still very much up in the air. A week or so ago the highest percentage of vaccinations in Ireland was in Waterford county, which also had a rate of infection three times higher than the average for the rest of the country. The kids were spreading it? OK, but if so and the vast majority of adults were vaccinated and the vaccine reduces the chances of getting it why such high numbers? It seems these vaccines aren't nearly so great at stopping transmission as promised. If I'm vaccinated against measles or chicken pox and a couple of kids with one dose each on board come up and cough in my face I'm not going to come down with either. The same most certainly can't be claimed for the current vaccines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

Is it just one injection for the 5-11's or will they have to get Boosters too...

I don't like MM at the best of times, but he reached an all time low in my opinion, when he spoke to the children in his speech, sinister and creepy, and actually made my stomach churn.

He also gave the media the chance to turn once again on the unvaccinated, too many people were beginning to question policies, it's a pity he and the rest of them don't point the finger where it truly belongs!

Depressing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,043 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is it just one injection for the 5-11's or will they have to get Boosters too

The vaccine isn't approved yet in Ireland for that age group but the EMA information is here.

In children from 5 to 11 years of age, the dose of Comirnaty will be lower than that used in people aged 12 and above (10 µg compared with 30 µg). As in the older age group, it is given as two injections in the muscles of the upper arm, three weeks apart. 

Boosters are irrelevant at this stage. Even if they are offered in future, nothing compels you to take them up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boosters are irrelevant at this stage. Even if they are offered in future, nothing compels you to take them up.

Boosters are very relevant. The "at this stage" part is only a qualifier. Boosters were irrelevant for adults six months ago at that stage and now adults are being "compelled" to take them up as we speak. Oh it's not mandatory now, but look at the Austria thread hereabouts and how quite the number are nursing a semi over them compelling vaccinations in general. It may never be mandatory in Ireland, but there will be social pressures and consequences if you don't go with the programme. There are already such in place for adults(try taking a trip anywhere in Europe next year without one), I don't see why that'll be any different for kids.

It's going to be an increasingly hard sell for many people to both accept that vaccines will get us out of this, while at the same time only for a few months, while we see restrictions coming back in and many people's lives and livelihoods suffer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs, aside from the unevidenced speculation, that's entirely irrelevant to the decision about whether to take the initial doses, since whatever the future regulations are I cannot see how they would prioritize unvaccinated over vaccinated unboosted.

Unless you're proposing to pivot a childhood vaccination decision into something like civil disobedience.

Honestly? I don't know. The stats are probably available from the HSE or HIQA or HSPC, though.

And yes, reduced chance of severe symptoms. Like these kids:

Up to 26 children have been recently hospitalised with Covid-19 and a number admitted to intensive care, it emerged yesterday.

New figures show the young patients under 18, including nine under four, were hospitalised with the virus in the two weeks from October 1 to October 14.

Source: Coronavirus Ireland: At least three children in intensive care with Covid this month as concern over capacity mounts - Independent.ie

Yes, enough is enough. If a free, safe, injection can stop my kid ending up in intensive care, then that's a no-brainer.

Wibbs, aside from the unevidenced speculation,

I don't see how it is close to speculation, because that is precisely what has happened in the adult population. The fact is your position that boosters are irrelevant at this stage is far more speculative as is the lack of compulsion. Because both are in play, today, with the adult population and up until six months ago the same adult population was in the same position as children today.

that's entirely irrelevant to the decision about whether to take the initial doses, since whatever the future regulations are I cannot see how they would prioritize unvaccinated over vaccinated unboosted.

Again that's already coming into play. Take France as an example. From January if you're French or want to visit France with any ease, if you don't have a booster you may as well be unvaccinated. If you do decide to go to France as a vaccinated person minus the booster you'll be working under essentially the same protocols of testing etc as someone who is unvaccinated.

Véran did however introduce an incentive to get a booster shot. Adults will need one by January 15 for their COVID health passes -- which allows access to restaurants, bars and other indoor venues -- to remain valid.

Individuals over the age of 65 will have to have the third dose by 15 December, the government had already announced.

If they don't they have to get a negative PCR test the validity of which has come down from 72 hours to 24. Again at that point they may as well be unvaccinated. There's your prioritising in action and there's your compulsion in action in France from this month on. Now the same French have said that vaccines for children won't be in play until 2022 and would be optional when they are. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out when Ireland with a higher percentage of the adult population vaccinated is now moving into vaccinating children. Austria with it's upcoming mandatory vaccinations has shortened the considered fully vaccinated minus boosters from nine to seven months. Your claim that: "Boosters are irrelevant at this stage. Even if they are offered in future, nothing compels you to take them up" looks more than a bit shaky.

Unless you're proposing to pivot a childhood vaccination decision into something like civil disobedience.

I have no idea what you mean here?

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is that the possible future requirement for boosters to retain rights limited to vaccinated children has no bearing on the decision to vaccinate now, unless that initial decision is being made in order to avoid future vaccine-based restrictions.

Since absolutely nobody is saying "I'm vaccinating my under 12s so they can gain access to restaurants" or whatever, that line of argument is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭hometruths

Is it not pretty obvious that once the under 12 vaccine roll out begins, then they will be subject to same covid cert restrictions as the rest of us?

So come January if you are a vaccinated adult and you want to go to a restaurant with your children you'll need to vaccinate them too. I daresay many will do so on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm a little unsure restricting an under 12's access to the gym or pub will be much of a motivator, there's also a limit to what you can get away with discrimination between children.

What I'm saying is that the possible future requirement for boosters to retain rights limited to vaccinated children has no bearing on the decision to vaccinate now, unless that initial decision is being made in order to avoid future vaccine-based restrictions.

Swap out "children" for "adults" in your sentence and you could have said the same thing six months ago. Today you can't. As I have demonstrated and with examples relevant to today and going forward unless something radically changes there is an increasing requirement and compulsion for adults to have boosters. This is a reality, not speculation. But Children will be different? Six months ago vaccinating children was barely in the mix. Hell we were told that magic happened at the school gates and kids weren't spreading this pox. Until magically they were, or weren't, who knows(other than the dogs on the street) and we got masks and open windows and HEPA filtration. And now vaccines. And you really believe boosters won't come into this in six or eight months time, when adults will likely have had at least one extra boost?

Since absolutely nobody is saying "I'm vaccinating my under 12s so they can gain access to restaurants" or whatever, that line of argument is completely irrelevant.

Clearly your definition of relevant differs from mine. And again you could have said similar of adults and accessing restaurants or whatever six months ago. Indeed that was a fair bit of the push behind getting the under twenties and thirties vaccinated a few months ago. That "whatever" can easily be applied to play groups, schools, after school indoor activities for kids. And kids eat in cafes too and go to the cinema, both of which need covid passes for adults. If the reason we're vaccinating kids is to protect them and reduce transmission in the community, the same reasons we took the vaccines ourselves as adults, how do they magically avoid all the other stuff that we as vaccinated adults require now and in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Mild symptoms can still be very unpleasant. I'd feel like a really sh!tty parent if I didn't at least try to reduce suffering in my child.

Sure, they are unlikely (but not impossible) to end up on a ventilator in hospital, but they could feel really sick and miserable for a week or more. If you feel like looking only from a selfish standpoint, consider the lack of sleep you will get when you are caring for your child for those days. Having milder symptoms of infection will make your life easier too.

Are you capable of articulating your position in one short sentence? Please? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Wibbs you’re 100% correct with that, I think it’s obvious at this stage what the road ahead will be for children and the coercion method’s the government will roll out to get parents to jab their children.

Dark days ahead..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I can't help it if a complex set of variables can't be reduced to a soundbite to make it easier for you to digest, or more to the point respond with current real world evidence to back up your case. I found it easy enough to defend mine, you appear to having some difficulty. Your hail mary civil disobedience line ample evidence of that.

But meh let's give it a go:

Initial doses and current and future regulations in adults, where the non boosted vaccinated are already being lumped in with the unvaccinated in practical terms with the same social and legal compulsions for both is in play today, not "unevidenced speculation", fact. Why would children be any different when they were in the same position as adults six months ago and for the same reasons given then for adults are now being given for children?

Apologies, that's two sentences.

Thanks!

Initial doses and current and future regulations in adults, where the non boosted vaccinated are already being lumped in with the unvaccinated in practical terms with the same social and legal compulsions for both is in play today, not "unevidenced speculation", fact.

Agreed, for adults, that there is discussion of restrictions are being based on strength of immunity, through recent vaccination or recovery, rather than one-off vaccination, although I haven't seen any evidence of this in Ireland. What's changed in the public debate around vaccines is the assumption that immunity is very durable. When the original regs were drafted there was no data on durability. But still, there is AFAIK no proposal to change the regs that we have.

Why would children be any different when they were in the same position as adults six months ago and for the same reasons given then for adults are now being given for children?

Minors (under 18s) have always been treated differently in the regulations, in Ireland. Vaccination of under 18s has been available for many months, with 17-18s since when? early summer? and under 16s from early August. So why hasn't the covid pass for restaurants etc been extended to those age groups? Because they're minors. Your concerns about children are reflected in the regulations we have.

Aside from those points, what is the relevance of restrictions to the vaccination decision? The vaccination decision should be based on risk vs reward, adverse side effects vs protection. Vaccines offer a tiny reduction in absolute risk for children, therefore the HSE is providing balanced advice for parents and children so that they can make their own judgements about whether to take them.

I do not see the case for moral panic here.

• Advertisement

The good news is they pretty quickly rolled back on the very strict no mask, no school rule for 9 year olds.

I think the government will have realised that whilst parents may take quite a lot on the chin when it comes to personally complying with ill thought out measures, they're likely to be a lot less apathetic when their children are coerced.

There's very little evidence that would suggest a week's suffering was in store, or anything even close to that, most cases in children are reported to last just a few days officially.

Anecdotal for sure but my co-worker's kids all had it (household outbreak), none were poorly for more than a day, age range from 13 to 3, one felt a little ill for an hour.

Up to 26 children have been recently hospitalised with Covid-19 and a number admitted to intensive care, it emerged yesterday.

New figures show the young patients under 18, including nine under four, were hospitalised with the virus in the two weeks from October 1 to October 14.

Source: Coronavirus Ireland: At least three children in intensive care with Covid this month as concern over capacity mounts - Independent.ie

Sure, those under-4s were no doubt having a ball in hospital...

I know 26 children in a fortnight being admitted to hospital in a 2-week period isn't a lot, but it's not none, either, and hospitalisation because of COVID is only going to be happening if you're really not well.

Don't recall ever saying there were no serious cases in children, just that it's extremely unlikely unless the child has an underlying condition that hopefully the parents and medical staff would be aware of, tragedy is everywhere is you look hard enough, I've seen at least one new-born going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The same people moaning about vaccinations are the ones moaning the most about any and every restrictions. I'm sure they would also complain even more if their child's school was closed due to covid outbreaks. The cognitive dissonance is strong.

People complain about "snowflakes" now. Imagine what the upcoming generation are going to be like after being mollycoddled by parents who are teaching them they don't need to consider any form of civic contribution because they are so "special" and "unique". Teaching them to sit back and try to sit up on the backs of others who will make the effort. Those will be the next generation of scroungers. And they don't lick these things off stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Some of those people went on the storm thread recently and complain about school closures because of weather warnings.

parents who are teaching them they don't need to consider any form of civic contribution because they are so "special" and "unique"

Haven't heard anyone moan about their children getting vaccines because "they are so "special" and "unique"" , most I know don't want to vaccinate their children because it is unnecessary.

Total nonsense to describe kids getting vaccinated as a civic contribution. And then pretty ugly to then try to shame them for shirking this duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Finland are not authorising the Covid vaccines for ages 5-11 across the board, just to at risk groups. Hope NIAC follow this recommendation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"Reduced chance of getting COVID.

Reduced yes and it seems only if they keep getting boosters every six months for the foreseeable going on current vaccine performance. Two jabs now, then another in May, then another in November, rinse and repeat. Next they'll be getting wee vaccine passports of their own."

Where are you getting your info on? Its common for many vaccines to have base doses followed by boosters. Only a week or two ago the Pfizer CEO said that the Covid vaccine will likely be annual like that flu, not bi-annual.

"Reduced chance of having bad to severe symptoms if they do get it; reduced risk of hospitalisation.

The risks of severe symptoms in the under 25's is tiny. Of the confirmed positives under 25 the risk of hospitalisation is 0.8% and we have no figures on the underlying conditions in that demographic. The risk of death is even tinier. Of the 205848 postive confirmed cases of Covid 19 in Irish people under the age of 25 to date, there were 7 deaths. That's a risk of death in a positive case of 0.003%. Monumentally minscule. "

The risk of kids not getting vaccinated for outweighs the risk of getting vaccinated and suffering a side effects. We vaccinate kids against meningitis even though their risk of catching it is miniscule. And it also impacts transmission, per the next point...

"Reduced chance of transmitting it on to other people.

Again reduced, but by how much is still very much up in the air. A week or so ago the highest percentage of vaccinations in Ireland was in Waterford county, which also had a rate of infection three times higher than the average for the rest of the country. The kids were spreading it? OK, but if so and the vast majority of adults were vaccinated and the vaccine reduces the chances of getting it why such high numbers? It seems these vaccines aren't nearly so great at stopping transmission as promised. If I'm vaccinated against measles or chicken pox and a couple of kids with one dose each on board come up and cough in my face I'm not going to come down with either. The same most certainly can't be claimed for the current vaccines."

Measles, like some other viruses, replicates internally before spreading therefore vaccination is very effective in stopping transmission. Upper respiratory viruses dont need to replicate internally as they replicate where they land, usually the nose, and hey presto they are building a home in your body with ease.

The Covid vaccine has proved to be incredibly effective at reducing serious illness and death. The global stats speak for themselves. Its a no brainer and to suggest otherwise is anti-science.

Regarding tranmission comparisons from vax vs unvaxxed, its not up in the air. Taking the Delta variant and to quote from a comprehensive peer reviewed study published in October of this year which studiest the highest risk environment, households:

"The SAR in household contacts exposed to the delta variant was 25% (95% CI 18–33) for fully vaccinated individuals compared with 38% (24–53) in unvaccinated individuals. The median time between second vaccine dose and study recruitment in fully vaccinated contacts was longer for infected individuals (median 101 days [IQR 74–120]) than for uninfected individuals (64 days [32–97], p=0·001). SAR among household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was similar to household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (25% [95% CI 15–35] for vaccinated vs 23% [15–31] for unvaccinated). 12 (39%) of 31 infections in fully vaccinated household contacts arose from fully vaccinated epidemiologically linked index cases, further confirmed by genomic and virological analysis in three index case–contact pairs. Although peak viral load did not differ by vaccination status or variant type, it increased modestly with age (difference of 0·39 [95% credible interval –0·03 to 0·79] in peak log10 viral load per mL between those aged 10 years and 50 years). Fully vaccinated individuals with delta variant infection had a faster (posterior probability >0·84) mean rate of viral load decline (0·95 log10 copies per mL per day) than did unvaccinated individuals with pre-alpha (0·69), alpha (0·82), or delta (0·79) variant infections. Within individuals, faster viral load growth was correlated with higher peak viral load (correlation 0·42 [95% credible interval 0·13 to 0·65]) and slower decline (–0·44 [–0·67 to –0·18]).Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance."

Of course the misinformation and anti-vaxxers focus on this line: "Nonetheless, fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts", which taken in isolation paints a misleading picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well most people go out and get a job. There are plenty of others who see that the majority are doing work and because the workers provide the benefits in terms of income via social welfare, the others decide "I don't have to contribute" and go on the scratcher and scrounge off the efforts of the workers.

Similarly, most will get vaccinated. But some will see that the majority are getting vaccinated and because the majority provide the benefits in terms of disease prevention to the the whole population, the others decide "I don't have to contribute" and don't get vaccinated and scrounge off the efforts of the workers.

There are plenty of posts on here who happy to state that they are vaccinated, and don't seem to have any problem with other children getting vaccinated, but declare their sprogs aren't getting it. Obviously because, y'know, little johnny is so special. He doesn't need to do his bit and can scrounge off everyone else doing theirs instead. It's up to parents to determine what values they want to distill in their child.

Advertisement