Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I comply no more. I will not live in fear and I will not collaborate with measures that are zero to do with health and all to do with psychological warfare. And hopefully some day the more vocal collaborators will face charges.

Annnnnnd we've gone there...

So you're saying you fancy him? Ah here. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Here's a breakdown of it involving something simpler than medical science.

Every couple of weeks Dr Rory Hearne is given a column in various media outlets to write a piece about what is wrong with our housing policy, and how to solve it.

Rory never mentions immigration, even though it is the primary driver in regards to high rents in the private sector and is a serious contributor to supply issues in the social housing sector. And no, it isn't just the non whte folk before anybody gets excited- a primary driver in mental rates of rent between the canals is West Europeans who work in large MNC's, many of them in incredibly poorly paid jobs, think nothing of spending 900 euro on a room, as long as it's near town. A controlled migration policy involving quotas and intake based on our needs and wants, coupled with an audit process involving evicting and/ or deporting foreign social tenants who have a poor to non existent employment history, would put a massive dent in private sector rents and would free up social stock for re allocation.

Dr Hearne would never suggest such a radical, but effective, move as he would become persona non grata in the national media discourse.

In effect, a qualified person will say, and omit, certain topics that are not palatable to polite society.

Mask pseudoscience would fall under this in the medical field. Because non mask wearers are granny killers in polite society.

I doubt that cleared anything up for you but that's how it is. The mask thing has become a cult. The idea that a cheap piece of cloth can shield against virus contact but cannot be used to mask a smell of, say, a fart, is incredible pseudoscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It's still not pseudoscience.

Tl;dr.

The Centre for Disease Control, the National Academy of Sciences, the HPSC and the dozens of other reports I could show you are "pseudoscience"? 🙄 Boll - locks!

#PutaFuckingMaskOn

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/status/1465336719553798156

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He doesn't believe it ,he just delights in the opportunity to linking opposition to masks with " the far roysh "

Bud, what's with the hashtag. This isn't Twitter, I'm not some permanent student with "he/ him" and "BLM, End DP" in my profile bio, and a photo of myself wearing a mask.

I'm not wearing it. Because it doesn't work.

• Advertisement

There is something deeply creepy about the whole talk now thar the vaccine will be approved for young kids within days. Effectively a Christmas gift from the state for the children of the gullible.

Scary, and straight from the psy ops playbook.

You will own nothing, and you will be happy.

Blah blah blah. We've got it. You're convinced the CDC and HPSC and various other well-known and eminent scientific organisations are peddling "pseudo-science", for whatever bizarre reason (as you clearly accept COVID is real) and are convinced masks don't work. We get it. I certainly won't change your mind. Grand. Go off to another thread, so.

"bizarre reason"

Profit?

Societal control?

The end of cash?

A chronology of Covid- two weeks to flatten the curve, no forced vaccinations, no Covid passes, trust science, the vaccine is completely safe, children don't need one, all of that turned to- you will get everything back if 90% of you take your jab. Then 90% wasn't enough, now we are back to travel restrictions for even the jabbed, the talk of lockdown, talk of mandatory vaccine, children need one now. All for a flu that has only genuinely killed just over 600 people (the rest having been on death's door at the time of contracting Covid)

There is this bizarre idea in Ireland that none of our politicians are evil, they're merely incompetent.

It's a dangerous belief to hold. They are taking their orders on this from Brussels.

Is nobody joining the dots with the dates?

December 2019- Wuhan Covid

December 2020- Kent Covid

December 2021- Omicron

A symbolic Christmas gift for society 3 years in a row. Some coincidence.

What's this year's Christmas gift? The fear of Omicron, a semi lockdown if we're lucky, a socially distanced Santa visit and a Christmas jab of unknown medicine for the children of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pseudoscience mentioned in about every second post..

And conclusion is I'm not wearing it, because it doesn't work.

Well done.

"WAKE UP SHEEPLE!" "MASKS CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!"

Yeah, the government/big pharma are really gonna coin it in from all the VAT on masks... 🙄

Is nobody joining the dots with the dates?

It's all a big conspiracy, is it?

And nothing to do with COVID-19 apparently being a seasonal virus? Like, I dunno, the common cold, and influenza? Nah... conspiracy.

• Advertisement

Ursela Von Der Leyen's husband is the Medical Director of Orgenesis, a US biotech firm specializing in cell and gene therapy. Some of their work centers around Covid-19 vaccines, so no wonder she's throwing out the "mandatory vaxxes for everyone" idea 😄

What "mandatory vaxxes for everyone" idea would that be, exactly?

Like, an actual source other than facebook or a telegram group post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Huh. Yeah, completely missed that one. I stand corrected. Highly unlikely to fly, though, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

So what is the probability of a child in the 5-11 age cohort, with no underlying conditions, ending up in a) in hospital and b) in ICU?

The only data I have seen relates to numbers in hospital and ICU with COVID not because of COVID. Maybe I've genuinely missed it?

Why can't the powers that be clearly communicate the risks to children so that parents can give informed consent? If there is a clear and present danger to kids then it's not being communicated clearly and concisely I feel.

Parents will obviously be more sensitive about vaccines and their kids and if the uptake is lower in this cohort then that is not the fault of parent, more a failure in communication. You can't expect parents to do their own research but you can expect the authorities to communicate the facts incredibly clearly.

And if COVID doesn't pose a substantial risk to kids and vacination is more about stopping the spread of the virus then fair enough but again, present the data.

The burden of proof will always be a much higher bar when it comes to kids and the decision makers in govt either have to accept that or just bury their heads in their hands and hope parents will just assume the risk/benefit ratio for kids is the same as for adults.

Is the data that hard to present simply and clearly? Again, genuine question, and I may have missed it.

p.s. There's a part of me that feels like my presentations at work to senior management have a higher bar than what I'm seeing from the govt on this specific topic. But that's obviously highly subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,046 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@wildeside there currently isn't any guidance from the HSE because the vaccine hasn't been approved for that age group.

It'll probably be here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Don't mix up not wanting kids to wear masks with adults not wearing masks on a bus. You're an adult wear the mask, agree with the concerns re children though. Note the mask wearing by children is guidance to schools - not law. Childs right to education thumps guidance. They could claim its for child safety but that is not correct, they are asking children to wear masks to protect the older cohort. However we should not be asking our children to protect us but for us to protect our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

I trying to weight up the benefits of vaccinating healthy children, that are not at risk of Covid-19. If a child has underlying condition then they should be priority and given the vaccine. As my understanding children will still get and transmit Covid, so wouldn't make much difference getting vaccinated or not.

Would the cost of the administration of vaccines outweigh the benefits from it? That money could be spent on improving ventilation, extra resources such as speech and language (which has a big waiting time), NEPS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The vaccines do reduce transmission, just don't eliminate it. Reduction is strongest just after being vaccinated but wanes over months but still seems to have some effect (the real world R rates of more vaccinated countries reflects this).

Cost isn't really an issue here, vaccines are the cheapest most effective health measure we can take, the more vaccinated, the less people hospitalised and off sick, the less school missed, the less parents and grandparents also becoming sick. The entire vaccination program cost is a drop in the ocean compared to the PUP and industry support measures (that are being done worldwide so everyone is effectively borrowing at the same levels).

It purely comes down to risk/benefit of vaccines for children, whether the child should be exposed with vaccine protection already present or without it which will be down to each parent, the likelihood of severe disease for children is very low, vaccines make it even lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

Yeah but I think we all know it is going to be approved on the basis that the EMA approved it. I think the information campaign should start now well in advance of the planned rollout considering the contentious and sensitive nature of the issue.

I suspect what will happen is the vaccine will get the green light here for this cohort and that the information people want will not be readily available and/or easily digestible at that time (or even soon thereafter). It will be left up to people trawling forums such as this to try and make up their mind.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Childs right to education thumps guidance

A doubly vaccinated friend of mine is currently suffering through covid. She caught it from one of her kids who caught it in school. So that's at least two weeks of missed school for the child, and the child's two siblings........if her husband picks it up from them before they are in the clear then at least he'd probably be recovered by Christmas. But it wouldn't be nice for the children to be missing their Christmas........no visits to grandparents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,046 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Given that it is known that illness duration is shorter in younger children, and anecdotally it seems like very young kids clear COVID in a couple of days (judging by friends' kids repeat PCR results) wouldn't it make sense to vary the isolation period by age group?

Can't see the sense in a 5 year old isolating for 10 days after a positive PCR test or symptom onset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Apologies I probably wasn't clear in what I meant. I don't believe a school should be allowed keep a child out of school if they will not wear a mask - I believe all citizens of Ireland are entitled to a primary education and there maybe some legal issues if a school tries to exclude a child regardless of what this mish mash of a government think they can do.

I don't understand why numbers of children in the classroom are not being reduced. Masks and ventilation are great, but the amount of people in a limited space is the problem.

Even after moving all the furniture and splitting classes into pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I understood what you meant.

But that child, and others, refusing to wear a mask, have a greater chance of both picking up the virus, and spreading it to other kids. Who would then be deprived of their schooling for two weeks! Because the first child funneling their idiot parent and refusing to wear a mask. The kids don't lick these behaviours off stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Myself and my wife both had our double jab and will get the 3rd but most certainly will not be getting our two primary school children vaccinated. According to what I've been told on the BBC and RTE etc a person can still spread covid if they have been vaccinated, given that and how little risk there is that healthy children will develop severe symptoms what is the point in vaccinating children?

• Advertisement

Reduced chance of getting COVID.

Reduced chance of having bad to severe symptoms if they do get it; reduced risk of hospitalisation.

Reduced chance of transmitting it on to other people.

Advertisement