Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Post the data that myocarditis is a greater risk in 12-16 year old's than 16-24 year old's then.

You've just tangentially gone after the Moderna vaccine when we're dealing with a (lower dosage) Pfizer vaccine.

You also keep on banging on about the 2.6million kids being part of the unknown but ignoring the trial results ran across 2 continents (and yes you're not allowed to post about one of them due to using it for misinformation) that found no issues.

And ignoring that the 2.6million kids won't be unknown by the time Ireland is vaccinating, so you don't need to worry any more, if the rollout to those 2.6 million goes well, we'll be in a good place in Ireland to do the same thing.

And still trying to figure out who you're pretending to be worried about as it seems to be everyone and no one and calling people disgusting and slipping over to anti-vax information at random and then backtracking all over the place.

Lay your cards out, are the vaccines safe, back it up with risk/benefit data vs. the virus and explain who you keep on worrying about in all the threads.

Likely the compile opposite. Kids are far less likely in general be admitted to hospital so less likely to be detected on admission for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People on here without kids should not be commenting. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't really care how safe/dangerous the vaccine is for kids.

Also, can you imagine if we had similar discussions, passions and investment in Irish society about the harm alcohol causes and prevention of this harm. It puts COVID in the shade.

Jesus wept. Where to begin on that whole word vomit.

Altered you RNA? Might be worth actually reading something other than your Facebook feed

It’s a clear scientific fact that Covid causes a much greater risk for myocarditis than the vaccines. An in both instances cases are overwhelmingly mild. Sound scary enough though for the misinformation peddlers to latch onto.

And post market monitoring for potential side effects is standard for all approved medications. Yet another point on the misinformation bingo card

• Advertisement

Someone, with or without kids, who has chosen to actually inform themselves rather than swallow every bit misinformation flung their way bring far more value to a debate.

In your world does Karen, 2 kids, warrant more attention than an immunologist, 0 kids, on a subject such as vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

To be fair, if you'd a bag of mickies you wouldn't give her one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I don't do Facebook.

Maybe you could explain what you think I was trying to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We've all been vaccinated in my household except my youngest. What I'm saying is that it's easy to talk but it's still hard to contemplate giving this to a child for all reasons discussed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Where are the details re the rates of myocarditis and other side effects in ages 5-11 years. Nowhere. It is not a scientific fact as you posted, that’s another score on your own misinformation bingo card. They’re using data from other age groups as they don’t have any yet on that group. That’s the facts.

• Advertisement

Yeah you're absolutely right about alcohol causes a lot of damage to society. I'd say a lot of people like myself who were vaccinated are super spreaders when we heard out mingling in pub's etc most of the people I know who caught Covid were double vaccinated and more than likely they caught it in the pub or somewhere similar. I have no problem admitting I'm as likely to spread it if I had it, luckily I don't drink .

I made a conscious decision not to darken any doors until everyone is allowed to mix and mingle, I don't agree with the division and barring people from living normally. I think it's disgusting and since I'm vaccinated I should be safe and sound from the unvaccinated.

Well you seem to be trying to suggest your RNA was altered somehow? And also the the immune response was synthetic? And that getting in vaccinated you are actually not developing an immune system? And that choosing a lower risk route to a level of immunity to transmission and severe disease is somehow less desirable than taking chances with something that has all the same side effects as the vaccine except more frequently and with added potential respiratory complications, although relatively mild in kids thankfully?

The data is that it wasn't seen during the trials, that the risk of myocarditis is low but real for SARS-COV2 and that it is expected to be 50,000:1 or less with mild symptoms for children.

Is myocarditis the new ivermectin refrain? Has it taken over from "natural immunity" (with higher actual risk of myocarditis) yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

No that’s again misinformation. The data clearly as I posted in this thread states the trial size was too small to ascertain any information re myocarditis. Not that it wasn’t seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If I could show you scientific evidence that vaccines were safe and effective for children, would you start posting in favour of them?

Myocarditis triggered through immune response is well known to be at highest risk in males aged 16 to 30, in general, not related to vaccines or Covid. This is what is also observed in the vaccines, all vaccines, just at different rates. The studies in younger children suggest the general side effects profile to be similar to older kids. Therefore any “rational” mind when exposed to actual data, and science, would rightly conclude that seen as the pattern of side effects is broadly the same, and the expected rate of myocarditis in the younger population is lower, it is entirely reasonable and correct to conclude that they are at worst no more at risk.

The “irrational” mind will conclude “myocarditis sound scary”

We're in bizarro land here on boards.

COVID is a safe disease

Vaccines are scary and ineffective.

Challenge me with scientific evidence and guidance from medical professionals and scientists and I'll skip off and talk about random buzzwords from Facebook or actual manufactured studies from anti-vaxxers or Ivermectin pushers.

If any of the above concerns children then multiply the manufactured outrage by 100.

But old people should just get on with it and die.

Obese people also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

How long is a piece of string? "Long" here refers to the max length available i.e. people who caught the virus in early-mid 2020. I'm also talking "long" in comparison with the effects of other similar respiratory viruses. When have you heard people complaining of symptoms from a cold virus they caught 6-12 months ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ME, later more usually termed Chronic Fatigue syndrome was "big" in the 1980's. Everyone and his dog seemed to know someone with it or have it themselves. It's not as popular these days but you do hear of it occasionally and that has been regularly linked to post viral fatigue syndrome. Here's another link on the subject. So yep, it seems not so unusual at all after a viral dose. Covid is no unicorn in this. I've no doubt some do indeed suffer from it because of the lasting effects of a virus, particularly if they were very ill with it over a sustained period, but others may be psychosomatic in nature, or other conditions that happened to emerge around the same time, but not directly related to covid 19. Until such times as "long covid" can be somewhat measured, much less defined it's largely conjecture at the moment at much of it is self reported too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Post viral syndrome is common, not just post Covid. I would say "long term" would refer to a length of time over 3 years. 6 - 12 months is not long term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd bet the farm they have zero clue what RNA is or does and never heard of it before this pox showed up, not unlike those who keep peppering posts with the word "cohort".

This bit stood out for me and it's a common enough refrain from the "natural" types:

They have to let their own immune system develop with the right sanitary practices, healthy lifestyle, exercise and food.

Problem being that outside of sanitary practices, well sanitation and clean water that came along in the 19th and 20th centuries, our ancestors who had "healthy lifestyles, exercise and food" were lucky if at least a third of their born children didn't die before they were ten years of age. It was a rare enough family who didn't lose a son or daughter in childhood. The main reasons why most make it to adulthood today and can expect to live beyond 70 or more is because of clean water, antibiotics and vaccination.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Do you know what "gunk" was put in your body when you got your childhood vaccinations, your annual flu jab? (Hint: It's not what the anti-vaxxer facebook pages say). Do you know what "gunk" was put in your body the last time you took paracetamol, got a tattoo, or ate a hot dog?

Personally, I've no clue for any of the above, but I still did them, and would be happy for my kids to do any of them. (When they're 18 for the tattoos. And I confess I'm a bit unsure still about the hotdogs...)

I'm not on the Facebook thing. I'm vaccinated, but like I said I'd sooner take it myself before I'd let the kid's take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

So Norma this morning waffling on about how kids will be sent home if not wearing a mask.

How does that work, exactly?

You drop off little Jack or Ellie, sans mask. You tell the teacher that your child will not be wearing a 5 euro piece of Dealz cloth as it is absolute pseudoscience that has been proven to make zero difference, and that if the teacher and any of the other parents object to this, they should consider removing themselves/ their children from the class, same as if someone is uncomfortable with me not wearing a mask on public transport, they are welcome to switch seats far away from me.

You're at work, as is the missus.

Where are they gonna dump your kids, exactly?

Civil disobedience by enough parents is all that is needed to end this nonsense.

If you're not wearing a mask on public transport, I'll be getting the driver to remove you. It's mandatory.

Masks absolutely make a difference and have been proven to do so.

* An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19 | PNAS

* Current evidence on the use of face coverings.pdf (hpsc.ie) (which, incidentally, says the cheap one-layer cotton masks you're talking about buying on Wish are ineffective)

* Science Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 | CDC

That's actual proof, as in scientific studies - not what anti-vaxxer ratlickers have been spreading via Freemen letters, facebook, or telegram groups. Go tell your lies somewhere else, that actual facts are entirely different.

If a nurse can spread Covid between patients while wearing industry grade PPE, a 5 euro piece of cloth from Dealz will not make a difference.

You have read the linked studies. I have read mine. I choose to believe mine over the pseudoscience ones, on the basic example of my roving nurse above.

Your fear of a flu does not trump my right to breath freely. Your belief in pseudoscience does not mean my cologne should be rubbed off my a mask when I'm getting public transport out for a few drinks. I have the right to smell fresh, and that right is not curtailed by people in their 20s an 30s being frightened of a mild flu because they can't read statistics.

@McGarnigle2020 wrote

Your belief in pseudoscience does not mean my cologne should be rubbed off my a mask when I'm getting public transport out for a few drinks.

🤣

Laugh all you want. Your fears do not trump my rights. I am double jabbed and have had Covid prior to the jabs. Whether you catch Covid or not seems to depend more on whether you yourself have had the vax, as per Cillian De Gascun. I did the whole shebang from March 2020 to that August (when it became clear it was all bollocks), I downloaded the Covid tracker app (I deleted it once all the oldies had their first jab last March or whenever that was).

I comply no more. I will not live in fear and I will not collaborate with measures that are zero to do with health and all to do with psychological warfare.

And hopefully some day the more vocal collaborators will face charges.

The only thing I fear is that if I encountered you on public transport your fine cologne would render me breathless.

• Advertisement

The Centre for Disease Control, the National Academy of Sciences, the HPSC and the dozens of other reports I could show you are "pseudoscience"? 🙄 Boll - locks!

#PutaFuckingMaskOn

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/status/1465336719553798156

Advertisement