Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're trying to state that gaining immunity from infection is preferable to vaccines, it isn't both provides natural immunity, the latter without the risk of disease, there is no advantage to getting infected without a vaccine.

You can argue vaccine safety but promoting immunity by infection is stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SymbolicActs

Do you support the "right to choose" to jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute? Drive a car without a seatbelt? Wear leaking shoes out in the rain?

If we were to rely on your "nAtURaL iMMuNiTy", what do you think happens? If you could visit a smallpox ward would you tell them "boo vaccines, I believe in natural immunity"?

If you're actually talking about herd immunity, where do you think that comes from to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Well, aren't you lucky nobody in Ireland is suggesting coercive, mandatory vaccination for either adults or children, then!

And if children who've tested positive for COVID recently and recovered are like children and adults who have had COVID in the past, then yes, their resultant natural immunity will wear off after around six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What sort of nonsense is this post? You’re comparing smallpox to Covid 19 in children. You should read NIAC’s own recommendation. The right for parents to choose, whichever the choice should be respected. Are you aware the flu, norovirus, RSV and many other childhood illnesses are much more of a threat than Covid to children?

You’re also attempting to label me as anti vaccine which I’m not. Honestly the amount of trolls on this thread is just ridiculous. Off ye go with pure and utter fanatical nonsense.

COVID is a bigger threat to children than a lot of other diseases we vaccinate against, it was posted already. COVID is riskier than the flu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

I wouldn't say nobody. The CEO of Nursing Homes Ireland suggested it.

Several boardsies seem to be up for it, read this forum.

NPHET is considering mandatory vaccination of healthcare workers.

Professor Kingston Mills on The Last Word, there. I didn't catch the exact numbers he quoted for hospitalised children, but he did say far more are being hospitalised with COVID than ever were with flu. Talking specifically about COVID in children, he mentioned that 2% of those who got COVID had symptoms lasting for two months and - the bit I didn't fully catch - I think he mentioned that 4% have symptoms lasting 4 months. (The interview was just over an hour into the show, if you want to listen back from the Today FM website)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

If experts say something is so who am I to disagree? I'm following the science wherever it takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Sorry, I haven't read through every comment here. Just want to add my thoughts really. I teach fifth class, 10/11 year olds

We are frozen, windows wide open all day every day. And the classroom door. The noise from the yard outaude is almost intolerable from 10.30am on. Now we have masks. The children can't leave their 'pods'.

I, nor they, can hear a word anyone says. So much for the new curriculum, developing oral language. We can't hear each other. As for teaching Irish...

We also have at least 3 a week out with covid, not that sick but must isolate. I send work, but it's not the same and they are missing so much, socially

This is not education. This is existence. Yet adults can mix in pubs, at matches etc.

If vaccinations for children work, I say the benefits to accessing 'normal' education is massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,043 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Unfortunately my kids in secondary school are sitting in freezing prefabs with the windows open and masks on, despite almost all being vaccinated, so I wouldn't raise your hopes too high.

At least they can communicate ok though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I never said that. I asked you at what point does the right to choose get removed and for your view to be considered wrong? Maybe you can't answer it. Unless you've a hardline view though it shouldn't be that hard.

E.G. Taking an over simplistic view. If the virus had a mortality of 2%, 5%. 20%... etc. What point does the right to choose require intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

No one should get drawn into hypothetical made-up scenarios. Jump in your time machine and go ask someone in the 1800s if you're overly concerned about how the vaccination drive for smallpox is going.

Instead use to sh1te posted by numpties on Facebook / Twitter/ boards / telegram…as your go to information sources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

As far as Im concerned it’s people like you that fuel genuine anti vaxers to believe the world is against them and quite possibly push more people not to get vaccinated that otherwise might have because all they needed was a bit of space & reassurance, not people screaming at them that they don’t care about wider society.

And to say that you wouldn’t care if a child suffered is an absolutely disgusting thing to say. Utterly disgusting. The society that you claim to care so much about includes other people’s children.

Children are innocent little beings who don’t have the mental capacity to consent & parents want to be sure that they are doing the best thing for their children. Fairly understandable & good parenting.

It makes me very uncomfortable to hear world leaders addressing the U12s about vaccines telling them they must be so excited. The U12s do not understand vaccines & it’s unfair to expect them to shoulder that burden.

What I would like to see more of in this pandemic is information. Im vaccinated & i intend to get a booster and Im happy to take a leap of faith and trust science. When it comes to my children I’d like to feel Im a making a more informed decision. I am happy to vaccinate my child to benefit wider society but I want reassurance that my child is not at risk and I want the experts to spoon fed it to me. It’s is a doctor’s duty to ensure his patent/parent has given informed consent.

I also think things like what the teacher above has pointed out are important considerations - a return to a normal education system would be of huge benefit to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As far as I am concerned, If you don't give a sh1t about how much your child might suffer, why on earth would you expect anyone else to? (General "you" here and below). What that has to do with anti-vaxxers believing Bill Gates is injecting them with microchips makes absolutely no sense.

I don't have authority to vaccinate your child. It's not my decision and there is nothing I can do about it should you refuse to. But don't expect me to lose any sleep over it. If you get your child vaccinated and it still gets ill, then any right minded person would have compassion and sympathy. If you made a conscious decision to leave them in danger, against all reasonable medical advice, then be happy if the worst reaction you get is a shrug of the shoulders should your child get ill because you refused a free and easily accessible vaccine that would have prevented, or at least greatly lessened, any discomfort or suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,043 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This seems rather hyperbolic given the actual risks to children from covid.

Are they higher or lower than flu? I genuinely don't know, but we don't encourage annual flu vaccinations in kids, or at least didn't until this year.

Hardly hyperbolic now. That's a bit dramatic. Children may be asymptomatic or they may have symptoms. If they have symptoms, those symptoms would likely have been less severe if they were vaccinated. Or they may simply have not caught it. Vaccination does not give you 100% protection against ever getting the virus but there are many circumstances when a vaccinated body can eliminate the virus before it takes hold; where an unvaccinated body would have not been able to stop it. If an unvaccinated child brings it home and spreads it to their unvaccinated brothers and sisters, and they all miss a few weeks of school, well that might have been prevented had they been vaccinated.

If you want to protect your child, then get them vaccinated unless you are told not to by a doctor. All children will catch this virus eventually. If you don't care enough about protecting them against getting worse symptoms than they otherwise would have, then don't expect me to care all that much, if at all. (again general "you"). I mean we might be talking about the difference between having no symptoms if vaccinated vs having bad cold symptoms for a week. Still, why would you prefer the latter?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭hometruths

Whatever about other people's kids suffering, are you still worried about transmission, now NIAC have published their recommendations and made it clear there is no known benefit to reduction of transmission in vaccinating kids?

You were very exercised about it before:

My only interest is in their effect of passing it on through society - and much like the inveterate dole spnger, that is just something society has to deal with.

Must be mighty relieved now.

My 6 year old understands vaccines. Femoral their me and 6 in one boosters last year and know why they got them and were told about all those they got that they don’t remember. The only concern they have about the Covid one should they get it is will it be the nurse who did the left or right shoulder as the left one was a little bit sore the last time.

There is clear safety data on the vaccines. Hundreds of millions of young adults and teens have had it, and rollout is well under in the us for under12s

• Advertisement

Yeah.....you just don't understand what you are reading. And your "conclusion" makes absolutely no logical sense. But I wasn't expecting any logic to be quite honest.

There's no point in wasting time replying to you with your junk and misunderstood selective quotes. Given you want to misrepresent things, I will include a quote from NIAC report below

Studies from many countries have shown vaccination decreases transmission. ECDC modelling data suggest that vaccinating children aged 5-11 years could reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission in the whole population by up to 15% in a country with high adult (85%) and child (50-70%) vaccination rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Anybody else have opposing views from parents on this matter?

Myself and my wife are happily married, with 4 children under 12. We have a good partnership and have the same views on most things. Both of us are fully vaccinated.

I would happily vaccinate my eligible children if the HSE advice is to do so. My wife does not want them to get the vaccine. It's a protective instinct. She cites the fact they are so new and any long term effects cannot be realised. Her view is bolstered by the fact that the whole family had Covid recently and none of us were very sick and all symptoms were pretty minor and very manageable.

Now for something like this I feel we would both have to consent, and with one parent in opposition we will not vaccinate. I have had a mature discussion and made my arguments. But ultimately, despite me feeling it should be done for the societal benefit that it will offer, we will not be vaccinating them. Again, the fact the kids had Covid but we're not sick my decision to not vaccinate in line with my wife's wishes is an easier one.

So I'm just wondering if any other families have similarly polarized outlooks on this? And if so how have you reached a consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

my fiance is deeply conformist and hates not going with the flow so instinctively would opt to get our kids vaccinated , she knows however that i am vehemently opposed so our kids wont be vaccinated

we are due to marry next year , can honestly say i would cancel the wedding if she went against me on this issue , she herself will get the booster and thats fine , i will not

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Same in our house. Only came up this evening so I think will be the subject of ongoing discussion for next few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Sorry I know things are hard but pushing to get the problems you highlighted fixed would be the best thing to do here. Not putting a medicine into kids that won't stop the pandemic, we've seen that already.

🙄

Vaccines are safe for kids. My own have had well over half a dozen each, including COVID vaccinations.

The story you quote is from June. It goes on to say "The CDC said in a statement that “this case is currently under investigation and until the investigation is complete, it is premature to assign a specific cause of death.”

When a serious reaction or death is reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System after COVID-19 vaccination, CDC reviews all medical records associated with the case, including death certificates, and autopsy reports. The determination of the cause of death is done by the certifying official who completes the death certificate or the pathologist who conducts the autopsy.

“VAERS is not designed to determine if the vaccine caused the reported adverse event,” the CDC said. “While some reported adverse events may be caused by vaccination, others are not and may have occurred coincidentally.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭josip

At what age can kids overrule their parents and demand a vaccine even if both their parents object?

harrrylittle is magnetic vaccines person, make of that what you will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I appreciate the general “you” as I likely will get my kids vaccinated.

If my neighbour chooses not to in the unlikely event that their child suffers from Covid they will absolutely have my sympathies & their child absolutely will. Most parents are doing their best.

As for what it has to do with Bill Gates, a number of people in society feel that society is against them & they feel pressured into taking a vaccine they are suspicious of. You telling one of those people you don’t care if their kids get to me risk entrenching that view.

Advertisement