Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

• 19-07-2021 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭ spaceHopper

Personally right now no.

It's approved for emergency use only

The data says it risk to kids from covid is very low. Up to now the irish government have said this, they are starting to change their tune. The risk from the vaccine is unknown.

Ten years out and children who developed narcolepsy from swine flu vaccines are still fighting for compensation.

The way the article puts it he expects NIAC to approve it. There is no if they feel it is save....

The introduction of the vaccine pass for anything other than international travel crossed a line for me. I fully expect it to be expanded to busses/trains.., college some jobs and possibly even schools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭ spaceHopper

That can easily be arranged. The question is would you comply? What if they said no vaccine pass no school!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭ JDxtra

I would comply with evidence, but I am not seeing any evidence of a significant risk to children. Parents with at risk children are welcome to make their own choices, I have no issue with that. It would be very dangerous for the government to force vaccinations on children at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭ lawred2

The empirical evidence is there for all. Young children with covid have next to no symptoms nor illness. So what's the motivation for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭ Lisha

My children want the vaccine ASAP in the hope that normal life will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,727 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

12-15 may be considered here but nowhere are they looking at doing younger than that yet, if ever. No pass for something like measles makes sense at an R0 of 16-18 where you really need 95% of the whole population vaccinated but that is not COVID and risks to smaller kids are pretty small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭ JDxtra

It's a tough sell - grannies should be vaccinated and children have a right to school. It will be a very divisive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭ teotwawki

In the United States they have FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) which is not the same as FDA approval (less rigorous).

In Europe they have Conditional Marketing Authorisation which means they can be sold for 1 year without full data on efficacy and side-effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ Drexel_3

I'm very pro vaccine but would hesitate getting the kids done for covid just yet. No enough information out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭ 323

No

Even the OP's posted article (Newstalk FFS) states the WHO stance that Children should not be vaccinated.

The term approved seems to be thrown around here a lot in relation to these vaccines. "Conditional marketing authorisation" from the EMA or "Emergency Use Authorization" from the FDA does not equate to approved.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭ Former Former Former

The WHO stance is a general one because most vaccines have not been studied in children. The Pfizer one has been.

Also, the WHO does not agree with vaccinating Western children while vulnerable people in developing counties are still unvaccinated. Which is fair enough.

This is important though. The vaccines are approved. A conditional authorisation means you have to file a yearly progress update on ongoing studies and safety. That is all. It is very common even for non-pandemic drugs and it is utterly disingenuous to paint this as a safety concern. The alternative is to get vaccines sometime in 2027.

• Advertisement
Advertisement