Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

If your 6 year old understands vaccines particularly Covid vaccines they are smarter than me & I’m a well educated not especially young adult. There is a reason the age of consent for medical treatment is 16.

I accept your point that millions of people have taken them which is obviously a very positive indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I would have said they won't follow suit but they beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Nothing at all to do with Emer Cooke so no need to mention her. All in the interest of health of course.

They want to dose them like you would new born calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why are you saying "unlikely"? It's not unlikely that the child will catch it at all. Not unless they scrounge and sit on the backs of all the other kids doing their bit and getting the vaccine. Even then, the will probably come into contact with it eventually.

You say that a parent making the decision not to protect their child is doing "their best". The difference between you and me appears to be that you are willing to intrude further on how they raise their child. Lets break it into three broad categories (using general "I" and "you")

1) "I hope that your child get worse symptoms than otherwise necessary if you refuse the vaccine"

2) "Your child's preventable suffering is none of my concern and I am abivalent as to whether your child gets worse symptoms than otherwise necessary if you refuse the vaccine"

3) "Your child's preventable suffering is my concern and I will care if your child get worse symptoms than otherwise necessary if you refuse the vaccine"

Lets assume nobody is in category 1. I am in category 2. You reason that that, and it seems entirely illogical to me, that my having that position is stopping some illiterate anti-vaxxer from getting the vaccine. Whereas to me, number 3 is more intrusive and more likely to piss that person off. You appear to be in 3 yourself.

(Now, my category 2 applies to otherwise "competent" or average parents/people. I'm not talking about abusive or otherwise neglectful parents)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I get the strong impression that there will be a very low take up of vaccines for the 5-11 year olds. As low as 30% I would imagine. Initially at least.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Why are you saying "unlikely"? It's not unlikely that the child will catch it at all.

The poster didn't say they were unlikely to catch it. They said they were unlikely to suffer from it. Which is true.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Words have different meanings. While it may be unlikely that they will develop severe symptoms, there is a good chance that they will catch the disease. To "suffer from" a disease does not mean you have to be in serious physical pain from it - just that you catch it.

For example, you could suffer from many conditions and never know you have them.

Well seeing as I wrote the post I will clarify for you that what I meant was that children are unlikely to become seriously ill from Covid. I agree that they are very likely to catch Covid.

• Advertisement

I don’t think I’m quite getting your category 2 Vs 3 argument. Most parents are not “anti vaxers” in the Bill Gates sense of the word. What I am saying that if a parent chooses not to vaccinate their child they will still have my sympathy if their child gets seriously ill from Covid. I accept they will not have yours as you feel it was their choice.

Society has become hugely divided over Covid. On one far side of the divide you have traditional anti-vaxers, on the other people shouting that anyone who raises a question about the vaccines is an anti-vaxer, behaviour which to me is more likely to push people towards the other side. I haven’t read all your posts but likening parents who have some concerns to dole scroungers is ridiculous & your herd immunity argument is making the assumption that other parents are thinking about herd immunity which I’ve seen scant evidence of.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,046 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is called an analogy. And it is perfectly valid. Both are examples of cases where someone might want to take advantage of the benefits of society while deliberatly avoiding making their own small contribution.

There is a bang of "looking for attention" from all these eejits thinking their little Johnny or Mary is too special to get a vaccine. Some are taking the hump because I said that: if their child contracts it and has more effects than it would have had had it been vaccinated, then that is of no concern of mine. What do they want me to do - start crying because they subjected their kid to more risk than necessary? That is their choice. If they don't care enough to make that effort then why would I care? It is a simple point. No matter how special they think their little "angle" is

Category 2 is someone saying "It's your choice and of no concern to me. So I don't care of the repercussions". Category 3 is saying "well your choice affects me and I will care if your child unnecessarily gets sick, or sicker than it would have"

The group where I don’t answer strangers on the internet when they ask for details about my children.

You can assume they’re under 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,046 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I just meant under or over 12. It's hardly sensitive information, though you're obviously under no obligation to answer without being incredibly touchy about it.

I am vaccinated. My OH isn’t.

Im really, really down about it. I read article, after article with people commenting that those who aren’t vaccinated don’t care about society & should be excluded from Christmas. My family are furious at him & his family are too but have decided to leave it to maintain a relationship with him.

Im genuinely not having a go at you, but have you considered the impact on your OH? I’m mortified telling people my husband isn’t vaccinated.

I’m trying to be a reasonable person. I believe in vaccines not vaccine mandates, I believe in choice, but I am at heart a conformist & Im very down about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You are too easily mortified , your other half is showing an independence of character , thats to be respected

That’s just how I feel. I rarely go out & when I do everyone is talking about those that haven’t taken the vaccine. Radio & newspapers same thing. Article in The Guardian today about an unvaccinated family member not being invited to Christmas, vast majority of comments - good enough for him, he made his choice he can suffer the consequences.

I feel an obligation to disclose his vaccine status to people as I expect they’d be annoyed if they weren’t told so I rarely bring him anywhere to save doing that.

I can’t bring him near my elderly mother as if she gets Covid & he has been anywhere near her there will be hell to pay in my family. A sibling was visiting from abroad recently and they would only meet outside which is sensible anyway but they met other people inside which I got upset by as on a practical level my husband goes nowhere.

I do also get upset by other people’s judgements, mainly my immediate family, about him when they are taking Covid risks themselves but they are all vaccinated, judgement is reserved for the unvaccinated.

On a practical level I have no idea when the vaccine pass is going to end - our treat on weekends used to be taking the kids out to lunch that’s gone, he can’t take them swimming, we can’t stay in a hotel, he wasn’t allowed come to see Santa with us.

Im WFH home, all we do is work & take the kids outside on weekends and it’s now bloody freezing and they are very small. I can’t see my mum as much as I would like neither can my kids. I’m miserable as ****.

I don’t have the energy to respect his independence of character. Half the time I feel people should have a choice, the other half I just want a bit of my life back.

I realise some of that reads as first world problems .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭hometruths

Do you really believe in choice if you're mortified at the choice your OH has made?

My OH is vaxxed, I'm partially vaxxed, not planning on getting fully vaxxed at the minute. Thus far not an issue, largely because OH has been very understanding about having to eat outside, restricted where we can go together etc. i.e she respects the choice I've made even if she doesn't agree with it.

As far as the kids go, thankfully she is not keen on getting them vaccinated. But she did say she thinks it might be better to do it if it is required for access to school etc.

This conversation took place when the no mask no school rule was in place for 9 year olds, but govt have since done a U-turn on that. So am hopeful if they could not make it stick on masks they won't be able to make it stick on vaccines, thus saving a difficult debate between me and my wife!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

who cares what was in the Guardian or what some neurotic busy bodies think about " the unvaccinated " ?

you do realise that the percentage of people in Ireland who are vaccinated is way above the international average ?, in most countries your husband would not be an unusual outlier at all

getting vaccinated has become a litmus test for respectability , the same as being seen at the parish mission seven nights per week was back in the 1970.s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Imagine people on here are not respecting the choices of their loved ones when it comes to the vaccine. They’re also willingly going to vaccinate their children when though they don’t want to just to gain access to schools. Have people no backbone. None of these measures should be accepted by the population, there should be some fight back.

I’ve spent time thinking about it and I do believe in choice, mortified probably isn’t the right word, I just feel worn out by the situation I find myself in, and I’m an anxious person & a people pleaser and I’m struggling with all the judgement & a bit overwhelmed at times at the number of people dying & the worry of passing it on. I’m torn between understanding the judgement because it is a pandemic & people are dying, & being frustrated by it & at times resentful. It’s hard to feel like an outcast in society, my husband doesn’t struggle with it, I do. My thoughts & emotions are all over the shop tbh.

I don’t spend all day nagging my OH to get vaccinated, I’m not angry at him. I’m sad for him that he missed Santa etc. It’s not just about doing stuff, but there’s now a ton of stuff we can’t do as a family.

The fight in my family was very ugly my mother is of the view that the unvaccinated are the reason society can’t open up, I get defensive of my husband, she sees it as trying to defend the indefensible. And my siblings are much harder to deal with again. His family are better but his parents are worried he’ll die & his sibling think he’s nuts.

Most people I come across think that those that haven’t taken the vaccine are selfish & don’t care about society. Does that not bother you? Your OH sounds as if she is more laid back than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭josip

Instead of using negative labels like "anti-vax" and "anti-science" I'd prefer if we used more positive terminology.

Like pro-Facebook Facts and pro-conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, maths as well, boo maths, 92 is equal to 8 isn't it? I mean, they feel the same, and that's what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Keep dosing lads.

Enjoy the future you and other posters are cheerleading everyone into here astrofool. The second part of your username is to be noted in this regard. Goodnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Still around 10 people a day dying from COVID, and most of the country's ICU beds taken up with unvaccinated COVID patients. Which is also preventing hospitals from doing their normal work, including elective surgeries. That's the present you and your anti-vaxxer posters have already given us.

Advertisement