Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Niall Collins on now , thinks it all makes common sense 🤣🤣😷

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Would you let your child take the MenB vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Moron here. They're not going to be checking Covid certs for 6 year olds in play centres.

Did you attend any protests yerself?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I was having in depth discussions with my employer about transferring to the US as my dept had a team stateside. However since then I got offered a role I couldn’t refuse here in Dublin. Only thing is my new dept doesn’t have a counterpart in the US so for now I’m staying put. And I’m happy to, I’m born and bred in Dublin, but if the opportunity arises to sail away for a few years then I’m taking it (and my firm are aware and will accommodate me where possible). I’d advise any young people to seriously consider where they want to settle down!

Before this I’d never really considered living abroad, how quickly things can change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah yes, Mr Collins, proof positive of the old saying "never argue with a fool, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You've already been called out on this - children are at miniscule risk from covid and despite all being unvaccinated are taking up almost no beds due to covid.

So money spent vaccinating them is effectively wasted money

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So we have all 3 here, vaccines don't work after X time, expense and "natural immunity".

The effects against severe disease for the non-immuno compromised has remained strong across many months. What wanes is the antibodies that can fight SARS-COV2 immediately (and seems to be a reason why transmission and infection rates can increase as the time from vaccination gets longer). However, even with that waning, we're still keeping R down to 1.1-1.3 for a very transmissible virus because of the vaccines (the adult boosters should see this drop further).

Vaccines are still the cheapest option when fighting the virus, every transmission that doesn't happen, everyone that doesn't get hospitalised saves hundreds or thousands of euro vs. a cheap vaccine, the health authorities spend far more on far less effective measures.

There is absolutely no advantage to anyone in meeting a pathogen without a vaccine vs. with a vaccine, the same immune response occurs but when vaccinated the chances of severe disease are virtually eliminated and onward transmission of the virus is reduced. Yes kids should be out playing with friends, getting colds, playing in mud (which is why we have tetanus shots) but we have an early childhood vaccine program for a reason and infant mortality reduction has been the absolutely massive benefit of that.

In saying that, the risk to children is very very small, the vaccines make the risk very very very small hence why it'll be completely optional, but fearmongering about waning, expense and bigging up "natural immunity" are not arguments against vaccination, it should purely come down to risk/benefit and what the parents perceive that risk as.

And in the future, it will likely be part of the annual flu program (which is free for children) as new vaccines come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭JRant

While I don't think it will happen I certainly wouldn't say it won't happen with any degree of confidence. This lot in power are making it up as they go and if NPHET thinks it's a good idea then there's a high probability they'll run with it as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

People posting here about moving out of Ireland like it's a big deal. Lads, we've been doing it for centuries. The grass isn't always greener though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

In fairness the grass often is greener outside of Ireland - it's hard to tell until you actually leave, and once you do you usually dont want to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

People on here trying to convince us that vaccines for kids or an annual booster is a bad thing. Beggars belief really

It is, I've done it twice , came back early 2000's , primarily to buy a home, have been away again a few times but back fully since 2018. Moving away again, not as easy as it once was and not helped by the pandemic. Bit my god , when this nonsense is over I'd be happy to move to Timbuktu at this stage 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You do realise Covid is not the only thing that overcrowds hospitals.

Hospitals have been overrun for decades with people on trolleys.

Spending hundreds of millions to vaccinate kids each year who are not filling up hospitals each year is pointless.

The money being spent on these vaccines would be better spent on increasing capacity.

Every medical treatment from vaccination to a panadol has some risk of side effects. Most are miniscule so much so that most people will never experience them - but the more you take the more risk you have. Typically the risks must be very small for the medicine to gain regulatory approval - covid vaccines are different in this regard because of the pandemic and emergency auth (CMA for EU).

The chance of you experiencing an adverse event goes up with every extra "booster" you get - so it is absolutely not something to be cheered for that you need to take a booster dose every 6 months. We were originally sold on the idea of 2 doses - now its 3, soon it will be 1 every 6 months ad infinitum. Adverse reactions will inevitably increase with more doses administered per person as the cumulative risk goes up. I think the question is, is that really a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Does that seem really so far fetched? Considering what we’ve seen already. All it would take is for Emperor Hula hoop to take a notion and a few days later it’s law.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I thought the people bringing up vax passes last year sounded crazy, how wrong I was. Don't know how you can be so confident of something like that given how things have transpired this year, smacks of a pure head in the sand attitude. I would be very disappointed myself if such a measure was brought in to exclude children based on a vaccine for an illness they are barely at risk from, but at one point I genuinely thought it wouldn't happen with adults either.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The added boosters you talk about mean our economy can reopen with fewer restrictions, our daily lives can get back to more normality, there will be less pressure on the health service so other procedures won't be impacted and less death which are all very very good things to have during a pandemic

What is the risk from the vaccines that you are so afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Just take the booster so we can reopen for real this time! No, I promise for real, actually this time. This time when you all take the boosters we can get back to normal, I SWEAR!

• Advertisement

There is a list as long my arm of potential side effects from these vaccines - that thankfully have been relatively low up to now, but with every extra dose the cumulative risk increases more and more. And you're suggesting that its a good thing we have to get a booster every year/6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Of course, I’m fully vaccinated for Covid also. Doesn’t mean I’ve to agree with children being vaccinated for Covid which doesn’t affect them seriously, the vaccine passport or even boosters for healthy people. None of those are necessary, maybe by booster 6 some posters might start asking questions…

Another lazy attempt at trying to label a poster as ‘anti vaxx’.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's precisely the message we got about the original vaccine doses. A lot of people are very cynical now when they hear the same thing now about boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Might be better for younger healthier people to get Covid every year at this point.

My point being we vaccinate children against a disease that is rare for them to get but can be devastating in rare circumstances. It's the rationale for covid vaccine for children. It was more a perspective angle I was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

The economy can open without restrictions tomorrow, the virus does not cause restrictions, they are a political response which has been deemed necessary right now because of our extremely low hospital capacity. The remaining restrictions - masks, 12 oclock closures, vax passes etc etc - may or may not be doing much to mitigate the spread, and their effectiveness is entirely contestable. The issue I see in your comment (and this applies the entire media ecosystem in this country) is that there is a basic assumption that each of these measure does actually work. The virus has come in waves regardless of any of these measures, so i think it is very questionable whether they are really accomplishing anything at this point. The only point of reference we really have (since we have not actually removed all restrictions even once since they were introduced) is what has occurred in other countries that have, e.g. the UK. Our media should be demanding the evidence that these measures have actually accomplished what is claimed by public health officials. As Carl Sagan put it once, extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence (and forcing people to wear masks everywhere and recieve a vaccine is extraordinary in terms of human history), but the narrative that is offered is basically unfalsifiable - when the case numbers go low, the claim is that the measures worked as intended; when cases spike, the claim is that people are not adhering to measures enough or that we need new measures. This is not good enough imo, and the media seem content to accept at face value what we are told. They should be interrogating, analysing, but instead they are simply repeating public health official propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ok fair point. But the Covid vaccine isn’t very effective as it needs boosters every six months according to the companies themselves. Do you think children should keep getting booster after booster of mRNA vaccines for a virus that isn’t a threat to them? It took years for the Meningitis vaccine to be developed.

I know a lot of people working in healthcare - the main danger to younger children currently is RSV type viruses. It has hospitalised quite a few children in the last number of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As someone said above, we've heard that tale before....

I've a better question - when does our economy/society reopen with NO restrictions? Where is the endpoint here?

I for one want to go back to a REAL normal (pre-2020), not this more limited and constantly under threat of renewed restrictions society we are currently living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its mental.

Up till literally 7 days ago we have had it drilled into us, schools are safe, kids are fine, dont get sick from this (something ive witnessed myself) to literally a week later Vaccinate all the kids now and mask them us asap and posters here are asking "whats the problem?" Its a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

You're right about that, but I reckon both sides of the debate on this thread would probably feel its true of their counterparts too !

Advertisement