Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Some people don't get it or maybe they are spending to much time on facebook !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,721 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah, it's the far-right lurking in the shadows organizing all the calls. Christ, do people actually believe this stuff?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Many do unfortunately... it's all over this forum sure.

It's amazing really that in a nation of almost entirely left-leaning parties, and a population that might grumble but largely goes along with everything regardless, that some think we have a "right" at all, never mind a "far right"

It's the same problem as most of this social media identity politics/culture war idiocy - Americas politics and social issues can't just be copy/pasted everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah, c'mon. FF and FG are both centre right parties.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I'm sure you know better than that in fairness. What they might have on the "About us" is very different to what they do in Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This is just complete and utter rubbish from the journal trying to label anyone who opposes NPHET’s attack on children as ‘far right/fringe/anti vaxx’. The usual posters on these threads consistently doing the same.

The facts are, children are not seriously affected by Covid. Vaccination doesn’t stop transmission. EMA approved the vaccine for children aged 5-11 and we have NPHET straight on the case to attempt to firstly segregate via masks and then divide re those who take the vaccine and those who don’t. Ireland’s shameful compliance continues. The more the people roll over, the harsher the restrictions we suffer. Last to reopen in 2021, vaccine pass all summer, plus no gigs, festivals, anything. Meanwhile in England they’ve been living freely and are annoyed at simply having to wear a mask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The far-right aren't sitting on their hands about these issues though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pat Kenny pushing his "masks for everyone from 2 years old upwards" agenda again this morning. Looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The "far-right" do not exist in this country outside of a small group of ~1k radicals

Everyone else is not far-right, but the media likes to portray them as far-right because its become an easy way to discredit a movement. Poll most of those concerned parents and I guarantee 99% of them would vote for FG/FF/SF, hardly far-right parties are they?

Far-right is to anti-government what anti-semitic is to anti-israel - a catchall term to discredit people and smear their name. There's no substance to it.

• Advertisement

Kenny is your typical (former) RTE luvvie - hugely overpaid, insulated from reality, and using the platform to push his own opinions rather than actual discussions - Newstalk is full of this.. look at Ciara and Shane on Breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭bloopy

Some do.

For some the far right is lurking around every corner, hiding under every bed.

These Walter Mittys are constantly fighting the good fight, keeping the rest of us poor simpletons free from the taint.

Interesting that the Journal disabled comments on that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

So your response to me saying the far right aren't sitting on their hands is there's only about a thousand of them? Not sure what point you're making

He's also pushing antigen/rapid flow testing though. Has been for many months now. Also his pieces with Luke O Neil have been very good

Stephen Donnelly was on with him the other day and said rapid tests were no longer free for everybody in Britain... A blatant lie that he didn't get challenged on

Gotta take the good with the bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

As I’ve said before on here my wife is from Sweden. She came over in 1999 we met and she’s been here ever since in fact at this point she’s been in Ireland longer than she ever was in Sweden. She loves it here and always said she would never move back. Until now. Last night we had our first serious conversation about actually moving over there because of the way this country is being run atm. Of course there will be someone along to tell me that Sweden doesn’t exist anymore, that it disappeared under a mountain of Covid deaths never to be seen again. It has never really appealed to me to go there but think I’m going to have to give it serious thought now.

On another note, I think NPHET have realized that they don’t even have to shutdown the country anymore there are enough compliant morons in the country to do it for them all policed by the Karen brigade on Facebook. It’s Tony’s wet dream to have people self-restricting. Said it multiple times, Social Media Pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

My point is that the "far-right" are a non-entity in this country. Less than a tenth of 1% of this country could be considered "far-right".

Anyone talking about far-right organising or raiding or whatever, it's communists-under-the-bed, boogeyman stuff. Total nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

So is the plan with kids to spend over 100 million to vaccinate kids and then over another 100 twice a year for boosters that will do very little to protect the vulnerable.

Would investing this money into increasing hospital capacity and icu capacity offer much more to help protect the elderly and well protect everyone more.

But that would require the government and the HSE to actually do some work, which unfortunately they have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I get a Sense, Many, Many, Many would leave Ireland if they had a chance after the past few months of absolute farce. I've been to Sweden and its a fabulous country in every respect 😊

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

I'd probably argue we had a very centrist government but at the moment they've discovered the magic money tree and are spending it like money was going out of fashion. FG are definitely more in favour of giving their business cronys the nice publicly owned assets and FF are just populist gombeens without a coherent thought in the entire party.

That's pretty much what it's become - for someone like myself who isn't on Facebook and doesn't use Twitter except as an occasional news source, it's a non-issue but far too many people live and depend entirely on their feeds to decide what their position on a given topic should be.

The actual pandemic should have ended here last year when we had more information on who/what demographics are actually at potentially real risk from CV-19 - the elderly and infirm, the immunocompromised and similarly medically vulnerable groups. That's where our efforts and resources should have gone - to supporting them as well as upgrading our hospital capacity, not squandering tens of billions on testing healthy people and paying them to stay at home because we closed their jobs.

When both parties are consistently rewarding those on welfare more than those working then that comment doesn't pass the smell test for me.

What far-right would this be?

Gemma and her crazy band of followers? These people are nutjobs, not far-right activists.

Some crank on Facebook comparing vaccines to 5G giving us all cancer? More nutjubs but not far-right.

Where is this mysterious far-right we hear about?

There's a 99.9999% chance that article is full of shïtê, written by absolute hacks, and has zero bearing on reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah - that's where we've moved to now.

Both my own and my wife's Christmas parties have been canceled - companies are calling it 'corporate responsibility' but really, they're afraid to be seen to be celebrating because they'll be shamed on social media.

Government can say they haven't shut nightclubs even though making them close at 12am is the same thing. They can say they're not banning international travel but they can load enough extra expense and hassle onto it to make it unfeasible for the majority.

When will play-centers need to check covid certs for a 6 year old before letting them in? Anyone who thinks this isn't on the way is a moron.

Over the last 20 months we've seen all these freedoms, civil liberties and constitutional rights traded away with barely a shrug from the majority. All for a disease that is most dangerous to an easily identifiable minority group- those above the age of life-expectancy.

The freedoms we thought we had are not worth the paper they were written on, it turns out we didn't value them or deserve them anyway. We have handed a playbook to the next Government on how best to control us. Thank Christ people in the rest of Europe stood up and protested because that is the only thing keeping our Government in check.

What a pathetic people we turned out to be.

FF know this is probably their last chance at the helm in Government for the foreseeable, and for Martin himself he's probably annoyed that his coronation as Taoiseach has been undermined by Holohan dictating policy in the media and through NPHET's "advice" - but then all Micheal wanted was to be Taoiseach.. he had no real plan after that and Tony happily stepped in there.

It's certainly ironic how both FF and FG have been liberally plucking from the Magic Money Tree after (rightly I might add!) berating the likes of SF for years before over their fantasy economic policies. It just goes to show really that none of them have any actual political beliefs or policies.. it's all about whatever will keep/get them in power and maintaining the status quo.

FG you are spot on about too. Far more dangerous in the longer term as they will sell off the family jewels to the business connections in return for a seat on the board when they retire from politics. Also the likes of Coveney are far more beholden to the EU and eroding national sovereignty than most. AS bad as Leo is, he can generally be relied on to do what is in his own interest, and so does little real damage. If Simon gets the top job the damage he could do could be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No, vaccines are far cheaper than hospital beds and offer pretty much the best return on money spent on the health system (as they reduce the need for beds in the first place).

And it's not either/or, the spending on vaccines will happen along side spending to increase capacity, the vaccine spending will not put much of a dent at all into the overall health and welfare budget.

Each hospital bed costs hundreds of euro per day to run, ICU beds cost thousands per day, anti-viral pills cost about €600 each.

Not sure what the plan is, not even sure the govt or HSE know what the plan is

I've a Migraine listening to a Journalist trying to explain the Claire Byrne what exactly is going on with potential recommendations 🙄

Eamonn Ryan apparently thinks it's all about treating children like adults 🙄

Mother of god its getting worse by the minute, the ineptitude

• Advertisement

Niall Collins on now , thinks it all makes common sense 🤣🤣😷

Advertisement