Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options
  • 18-11-2021 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

This question goes out those who took the 2 jabs? Will you you take it to get back to normality? Or are you sick of the government moving the goalposts constantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pretty much by definition, the people who got vaccinated the first time around will be open to getting boosters - if they were anti-vax they wouldn't be vaccinated in the first place.

I don't get the comment about the "government moving the goalposts constantly". That suggests that the government originally promised that vaccination would provide lifetime or indefinite protection, but I don't recall the government - or, for that matter, anyone - ever saying that.

Covid-19 is a novel disease, and the treatments for it and vaccinations against it are necessarily also novel, which means information and understanding is still advancing, and will for some time to come. So of course advice about how to guard against it and how to treat it will evolve in response to accumulating experience and understanding. You'd have to be fairly thick not to grasp this, and it would be perverse to regard this as "the government constantly moving the goalposts".

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Yes I certainly will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

TBF the government said this was the way out of this in past if everyone got vaccinated and with the highest uptake of vaccines questions need to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Got my booster jab 2 days ago.

If I need an annual jab I'll get one.

This still isn't making a lot of sense. Vaccines against other Coronavirus diseases - e.g. the flu - do need to be regularly repeated; why assume a vaccine for Covid-19 would be any different? I don't think saying that vaccination is the way out of this ever implied that vaccination would be one-off and would never need to be repeated.

Hypothetically, we may yet develop a vaccine in which a single administration provides years or decades of protection and, if and when we do, great. In the meantime, "vaccination is the way out of this" doesn't mean that we shouldn't get boosters. On the contrary, it means that we should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

That's a definite no from me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not if more restrictions come in g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Reluctantly i'll probably have to when they decide to redefine the term 'fully vaccinated'.

I'd rather there was a conversation being had about bringing a vaccine on board that actually works though, these pfizer vaccines are a joke and anyone who thinks that they're effective looking at the winter we have ahead of us is delusional.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'll get one for health reasons, if recommended.

Nothing to do with government/ restrictions/ conspiracy theories etc.

• Advertisement

I probably will but in some ways I’m reluctant. I have no issue with taking a booster (s), my issue is no matter how many boosters we take it feels like we will forever be in this cycle of opening up then / tightening restrictions. Possibly naively, I felt by the majority taking vaccines we could somewhat move on, unfortunately it’s hard to see that in this country anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

A no for now. Same with husband.

We both got our two jabs and definitely not anti vax.

But we don't really know what protection it will offer or for how long.

Still have good protection from first two jabs for this winter.

Maybe going into next winter I'd consider another if they're shown to be successful.

For now, I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Atm, it'd be a no. I'd be looking to wait to see do these actually work for more than 5 months before taking it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This still isn't making a lot of sense. Vaccines against other Coronavirus diseases - e.g. the flu - do need to be regularly repeated;

Well, here we are dealing with this pox nearly two years on and you still hear stuff like the above. Typed with a lack of irony regarding sense and claiming others might be fairly thick in their own way.

Influenza is not from the family of coronaviruses and the reason why yearly vaccines are rolled out is quite different. The flu viruses mutate rapidly to evade the immune system, so while you may be immune to last years batch cooked up in chicken farms and pig pens, you may not be immune to this years. Hence a tweaked vaccine is required. Coronaviruses are more stable, the problem is they're better at evading the immune system and immunity isn't retained for as long, or at least it's not with the current crop of vaccines. Hence boosters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

Rather selfish.

If everyone had that attitude, where would we be?

Don't think it's selfish at all. It's the sensible choice imo.

We don't know if these boosters are the silver bullet. Or will it be the 4th boosters or new vaccines entirely?

At some stage, individuals need to assess their own risk and what they're comfortable complying with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stick it in me yesterday, first two didnt kill me despite all the bollix about titers or whatever having us all dead six months later.

I dont want to be one of those poor buggers in the ICU or hopitalised at all for that matter nevermind the whole loosing taste and smell thing.

A few seconds to get it done, why not?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I mean if some are cool getting vaccinated twice a year for the rest of their lives, fine, but I'm not. If something isn't working, why would you do it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

First of all it’s not the government moving the goalposts, they react to a changing situation and second of all we will never go back to the old normal, just like we can’t go back to the 70s or the 80s. In a couple of years it’s likely that 19 will be nothing more than an inconvenience, but it is also likely that there will be a 20 or a 21 or even more. Welcome to the new normal. In my opinion it’s highly lightly you will catch this or a similar one in the coming years.

So the question to you since you started it, how sick do you want to get, are you comfortable with being hospitalized or dying from it? We don’t know what the long term impact of catching the virus is nor what the long term impact of the vaccine is. What we do know is that taking the vaccine is highly likely to increase your chances of being around to find out!

I want to be around to find out, so of course I’ll go for the buster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A regular flu shot is every year. Other shots for other things might be every few years. Originally the vaccine for covid was to be two shots but that was for the original strain. Now it's 3 shots. I don't see the problem.

"Why would you do it?" I would do it to stay alive or stay out of hospital. I would do it, to be able to have a normal life.

You'd only do it if in fact it was working. Obviously if it provides no protection at all, there's no point in taking it. If it provides protection for six months, then there's an obvious benefit to taking it every six months or so.

Are you going to refuse to refill your car when it turns out that one tank of petrol doesn't last for the lifetime of the car? Is lubrication useless because you have to change the oil from time to time?

It would be interesting to do a poll with ages included.

If you're a healthy 30/40 year old, the risk of hospitalisation is miniscule, then less again with 2 jabs.

If the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission, I just don't understand why I'd get it. It doesn't help myself or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Israel don't consider you fully vaccinated if it's more than 6 months since 2nd dose so won't be a surprise if we go same direction. Main motivation for me to get it would be to facilitate international travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would but I’d like to see vaccines made available for vulnerable people in other countries first. But if offered it I will take it not least because illness and isolating is very disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Kind of torn. Don’t want to lose liberties or spread this thing around to vulnerable people. On the other hand I got second jab on 27 July and wasn’t 100% again until middle of September. Still getting bouts of tinnitus which I never suffered before getting it. I don’t quite trust that they’re perfectly safe long term. Rightly or wrongly. It’s just how I’m feeling about them. I’ll see what way it’s lying when it gets closer to my time for booster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The pfizer vaccine works well enough and it clearly gives protection from serious illness and death and has reduced the number of casualties from this pox. That's not in any sort of reasonable doubt. The problem is immunity seems to wane after a few months. A while back J&J released results of their various trials including a six month South African trial which showed their vaccine held up well over time and against Delta. One of their announcements here.

Today’s newly announced studies reinforce the ability of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to help protect the health of people globally,” said Paul Stoffels, M.D., Vice Chairman of the Executive Committee and Chief Scientific Officer at Johnson & Johnson. “We believe that our vaccine offers durable protection against COVID-19 and elicits neutralizing activity against the Delta variant. This adds to the robust body of clinical data supporting our single-shot vaccine’s ability to protect against multiple variants of concern.” “Current data for the eight months studied so far show that the single-shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine generates a strong neutralizing antibody response that does not wane; rather, we observe an improvement over time. In addition, we observe a persistent and particularly robust, durable cellular immune response,”

Then a couple of weeks after Pfizer was going on about boosters J&J came along and said oh yeah boosters sound good. Which is it lads? I happily got the J&J and won't be getting a booster from the current crop of vaccines, especially not the mRNA versions. I will certainly reconsider a booster when better vaccines come along and that's highly likely. Research is ongoing into other vaccine angles which show much longer term immunity and against the family of coronaviruses. EG it's been found that those who survived SARS and got a Covid vaccine had the best long term immunity against pretty much any coronavirus, even ones that may jump to humans.

Though I am surprised at one thing; we've been mass vaccinating people in the middle of active disease using a particular spike protein with "leaky" vaccines in that while they reduce transmission they certainly don't reduce it as much as we would like, which is a very strong evolutionary pressure on the virus to mutate around that and we haven't seen that so far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Absolutely. Up to each individual to make their own choice. I respect your's 😊

For people under 45, just don't think the argument 'do it to stay out of hospital ' holds any weight.

Chances of ending up in hospital are so so low, plus there's very good protection in the first 2 jabs.

I don't think the experts know enough yet . It appears like a desperate scramble and a fingers crossed this works situation.

• Advertisement

I must have missed where taking a flu shot was necessary to engage in society. There's a big difference between willingly taking a vaccine as you want to (I've taken the flu vaccine before) and being coerced into getting one like we are now. Until people actually go no, and the vaccine becomes an opt in like the flu vaccine, we'll constantly have that.

Advertisement