Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The fact that the Baron spent alot of money on the attack was only vaguely hinted at towards the end of the film, it should have been clearer.

It was mentioned that he was richer than the Emperor and it sounded like the Emperor was providing the Sardauker free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They paid for the transport, in the book the Baron or Peter explains to the nephew that 2 legions of sardaukar were to join them and complains about that cost and Thufir predicts it'd be 2 legions but then the Emperor sent 50 leading instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Perhaps someone who has read the book more recently than I, can correct me, but I seem to recall that the reason the betrayal by Dr Yueh so blindsided the duke was because he was mentally conditioned to loyality to the family and that breaking such conditioning was virtually unheard of so was utterly unexpected because it was considered impossible.

I was so worried about my 40+ year memory from when I last read it, that i had to check:

"The only known breaking of the Suk Conditioning was achieved by Piter de Vries and the Old Baron Vladmir Harkonnen. They managed to break through Doctor Wellington Yueh 's Suk Conditioning, causing the death of Leto Atreides I and the Harkonnen sack of Arrakeen ."

One failing of the film has probably lead to complaints of lack of ornithopter touch panels and general high tech Star Wars and other Scifi movie techno magic, and that is the universe it is set in, is one where there had been a Jihad against computers resulting in a society wide prohibition, leading to a complete reliance on humans doing all the complex computation necessary. The film doesn't begin to convey the significance of mentats - who were mental computational savants, who were able to mentally model complex systems to predict events while also doing high end mental maths to arrive at accurate results rapidly. The Guild navigators were sort of the pinacle of this human mental computation, combining it with spice to transform and improve their faculties to allow travel between the stars.

Watching Dune without reading the book is probably worse than watching it with a pirate patch over one eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've just watched Dune again, for the 4th time 😁

Twice in the Cinema, once at home via an OLED and surround setup.

This time, via Skybox VR my Oculus Quest and sweet Jesus it has blown me away all over again! Absolutely incredible viewing experience and even more detail and lore/fan service nods that I missed the 1st 3 times.

It says a legion consists of 10 brigades and is 30000 men.

In the book only one legion was sent it seems.

Seemingly The baron says it'll take at least 60 years of full-capacity spice production to offset the costs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Besides not anticipating the lengths the Harkonnen and Emperor would go to there's another point Leto makes in the book to Paul for triggering the trap. Basically that he knew the emperor and some of the other houses were coming for house Atreides, with Arrakis he knew it was a trap and in doing so could more clearly try to counter (with the emphasis on building a Fremen army to counter the Sardaukar). He felt that if they did not spring it fully and see the full range of houses arrayed against them, by pre-emptively outing the plot for example, then they would lose sight of the threat and would be blind again. His logic was that if you can see the hand in front of you holding a knife you can plan to counter a knife strike, if that retreats into shadow you don't know what it will return with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just on the high tech touch panels and techno magic I think you are wrong about how people think.

Battlestar Galactica had no problems with it's functional looking tech and generally as many people seem to laugh at the over the top flashiness of Discovery or the JJprise as do love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I also liked the controls on the ornithopter and on BSG. I actually think it will age better than glass panel displays and/or VR/AR headsets etc. I remember watching BSG spinoff show, Caprica (Interesting but dragged a bit). In it they mention that human consciousness could be downloaded and saved to about 128 Gigabytes or something. I thought that was clever because, even at the time, it was counterintuitively a small value.

Regarding dating, I'm thinking of the likes of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

tickets should be half price for half a story

You're REALLY not going to like Lord of The Rings so...

• Advertisement

My ticket cost less than the pint I had afterwards so I can't really complain.

Cinema tickets are one of the few things seem to get cheaper the older I get

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Saw this on Monday in the cinema and thought it was fantastic.

Wanted to go again, but out of curiosity I wanted to check if it was up on Kodi and bam! The full high audio fidelity version is available there to stream.

I assume this is the risk when they launch on a streaming site like HBO Max at the same time as the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭jj880

You made the right choice seeing in cinema first. I watched at home and wished id went to cinema. Only good thing about kodi etc. there are good subtitles for some hard to hear parts.

My second watch was at home and I found myself concentrating on the quieter bits much better than in the cinema.

Definitely should be seen in the cinema first though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

there are certainly a lot of parts where the music drowns out the actor voices... thought Christopher Nolan was the only director guilty of this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

youtube seeing me looking for new sardaukar chant but sends me in a different direction..

Damn this is well put together! Some fine use of video editing and the pipe music!

(spoilers if you haven't seen/read Dune yet)

Dune | We are Atreides

"Mood! What's mood to do with it?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My only real gripe with this movie.

It's bollocks in this day and age that you have to strain to hear the dialogue. I'd love to watch Dune with the score dialled back to 6, instead of 11. If the script is good enough you don't need Zimmer's organs to let us know something dramatic is happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm starting to think Slydice might be a little bit of a fan of the Atreides - no one tell him they're fictional 😋

On the subject of dialogue vs. music, this YouTube essayist (whom I'd shared before; he's very easy to listen to, and isn't as "arty farty" as someone like Nerdwriter1) made a video on this issue of overpowering music, via the most controversial example from recent times - Tenet. I can't say I necessarily agree with Nolan's ideas relating to drowning the dialogue out with music, but I suppose it's at least a choice I can respect. From what I've heard of Villeneuve's thoughts on the matter - that the music itself be a form of dialogue - it seems of a similar vein.

Book spoiler.

Does poor Sly know the Atreides are very much the bad guys 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I didn’t find Dune all that bad for it. It was atrocious in Tenet. I couldn’t make out a single word in some segments 😰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well.. I've read all the main books and a bunch more after that so I have a fair idea of what's going on.

Also watched a fair bit of scifi and tv shows and youtube tribute videos and I mean.. I could definitely tell a good bit of work went into that one.

Well, while the music was ear-bleedingly loud, yeah, I'll agree with L'prof. I didn't have the same problem hearing dialogue with Dune as I did with Tenet.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

can we not go full spoilers, the new spoiler thingy is worse then the old one

why are they sacrificing their armies (the goodies), their facilities (the badies)?

Post edited by pjcb on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The dialogue needed subtitles, in several parts.

The worldwide gross is now at $353,217,408.

With a production budget of $165 million (not including marketing and promotion), its struggling to make a profit.

Warner Bros must have stumped up a fair bit to Legendary to have the film debut on HBO Max at the same time as the US cinema release so that might add another 100m to the gross.

The second film should be alot more profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just watched it today, a few weeks after reading the first half of the book again in preparation. A few days ago I saw the last episode of the first season of Foundation on Apple TV+, and the contrast could hardly greater. (It's not a fair comparison, since Foundation is considered un-filmable if you stick closely to the original Asimov stories from the 1940s. This is the first of several attempts that actually made it to a screen by not adhering to the stories, for better and for worse.) So I was pleasantly-surprised at how faithful Dune is to the book, though the book helps by being fundamentally cinematic.

About the only problem I have with the film is that it didn't try to explain the really big picture. (Book spoilers ahead.) We see that the Harkonnen forces are bolstered by battalions of Sardaukar, and we are told they are Imperial forces. Which means that the remote Emperor supports that Harkonnen side and set up the Atreides clan for failure. However, the reasoning behind this is not explained at all. I only heard the word "Landsraad" once, with no details, and no mention of CHOAM at all. Maybe that will come later, but for now I can imagine movie viewers being a bit unclear about why things went down like that.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

It seemed pretty simple. The Atreides are getting powerful enough to challenge the Emperor so he needs them snuffed out.

The word Landsratt may only have been mentioned once but Paul makes it clear how powerful it would be if word of what happened made it to the great houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

The reason for the Emperor being against House Atreides was explained early - Leto explains it to Paul after he asks for permission to go to Arakis with the scouts. Josh Brolin’s character also brings it up during the combat practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I was just wondering about this. I don’t normally look up the box office as it isn’t my money :) but I was curious about how Ghostbusters Afterlife is doing. I had thought Dune had smashed the box office when they announced Part 2 was ago but I saw mention of Dune apparently struggling. The whole article on box office was very convoluted though.

so has it not even broke even yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 2x rule of thumb is just that; but I can't believe during CoVId, those hidden marketing costs have been the same as previous - it's entirely possible these "underperforming" blockbusters have turned profits sooner from not having outlaid so much promotional money. But then that's the problem - it's all a bit smoke and mirrors either way.

Dune had a stronger-than-expected opening weekend, but stalled a little with the arrival of Eternals, so only had 2 weeks of a free run as the top billing in cinemas. AFAIK we also don't know how it has performed on HBO Max (or indeed, piracy stemming from that) but seems some have tried to spitball it. It did OK apparently, though interesting how said spitball showed The Suicide Squad doing well - even though it was a noted flop in cinemas. Dune has definitely been a film people talked about though; not lacking in buzz and chatter. While with a sequel film, and TV spin-off both greenlit, Warners obviously see enough to persist for now.

Advertisement