Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

• 01-02-2017 3:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This was rumoured a while ago and is now official. Denis Villeneuve has signed on to direct a new adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Interesting, there's a great film to be made there. Hope he can pull it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nothing from the trades yet, but this tweet suggests a series of films.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/826641857400565760

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Interesting, there's a great film to be made there. Hope he can pull it off.

I think if anyone can he can. I can’t think of a more perfect choice for Dune.

• I would imagine that we would be better off waiting to see how he handles the Blade Runner reboot first. Arrival, Sicario, & Prisoners were all incredible movies, but they were all relatively low budget affairs compared to how I'd imagine Blade Runner will be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration."

On the face of it, this is heartening news; Blade Runner notwithstanding given it's yet to darken a cinema, Denis Villeneuve hasn't put a foot wrong and shown a muted, but distinct visual flair with his work. And while I doubt we'll see anything as baroque as David Lynch's famous flop, IMO the Dune universe requires a strong visual identity to mark its universe and factions.

Side thought: I wonder if we may also see some new video game adaptations: it's a bit nuts to think the only successful adaptations of the universe were as RTS games in the mould of command & conquer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I don't know how I feel about this... I would really love to see a new adaption but I don't want to be disappointed. I loved the doc about Jodorowsky's vision for the books because it was so wild and there was so much consideration going into every aspect of it. HR Giger and Moebius were inspired choices and their work on the production looked brilliant!
    I remember seeing this post about an artist's concept art and it made me want an animation rather than a live-action rendition of Dune. It would be even better to see an anime Dune.
    I don't know much about Villeneuve but I liked Prisoners (did not like Sicario). It'll be interesting to see how Blade Runner turns out which also has a lot of weight attached to it, so in a way Villeneuve already understands pressure.
    If I had to pick a director right now I'd say Del Toro but that might not work either because his work of late has taken a downturn... Maybe even go in a different direction entirely with someone like Robert Rodriguez or Brad Bird or Jim Jarmusch or Luc Besson!
    I suppose I hope Villeneuve doesn't play it too safe at the end of the day and water it down for a mainstream audience. Jodorowsky wanted a psychedelic mind**** and I think i want that too.

matt-rhodes-dune-arrakis-by-mattrhodesart-d9arfxd.jpg?1443140216
    matt-rhodes-dune-house-atreides-on-caladan-by-mattrhodesart-d9arfr5.jpg?1443140436

matt-rhodes-dune-giediprime-mattrhodes.jpg?1469631961

Does anyone have any casting suggestions? I think the last thing anyone wants right now is a whitewash (and at this point the casting directors can probably take creative licence and cast whoever they want despite whatever descriptions there are in the books considering that Hollywood has always been reimagining PoC characters as white for too long)

I vote Jaden Smith for Paul (and Will for Leto :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration."

Even though I've read Dune and seen the David Lynch and SciFi adaptations this will always forever be associated with Earthworm Jim for me. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LazyClouds wrote: »
    Does anyone have any casting suggestions? I think the last thing anyone wants right now is a whitewash (and at this point the casting directors can probably take creative licence and cast whoever they want despite whatever descriptions there are in the books considering that Hollywood has always been reimagining PoC characters as white for too long)

There's definitely a chance to more accurately cast the characters this time around in terms of ethnicity, but Jaden Smith?? He's a fairly terrible actor and only has a career thanks to his Da.

It's a while since I've read the book but I wonder what liberties they'll take with the plot to avoid comparisons with current politics: correct me if I'm wrong but
    doesn't our hero, Paul incite a literal Jihad, becoming a living god figure?
    With the fairly overt Middle Eastern themes and inspiration overall, I'd be surprised if Legendary don't try and water the plot down a little to make it a broader blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I love Dune. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

There's definitely a chance to more accurately cast the characters this time around in terms of ethnicity, but Jaden Smith?? He's a fairly terrible actor and only has a career thanks to his Da.

It's a while since I've read the book but I wonder what liberties they'll take with the plot to avoid comparisons with current politics: correct me if I'm wrong but
    doesn't our hero, Paul incite a literal Jihad, becoming a living god figure?
    With the fairly overt Middle Eastern themes and inspiration overall, I'd be surprised if Legendary don't try and water the plot down a little to make it a broader blockbuster.

I hope they don't omit the jihad or change the language in it because the whole franchise is inspired by islam and middle eastern ideas. I realise a lot of producers might want to steer away from that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I here they are going to remake this classic now as well.

Denis Villeneuve is going to direct it.

I wonder will it be as long as the original. I hope its at least 2.5 hours long or even 3.
    Will be very interesting to see who they get to star in it.

What does everyone else here think of this?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm hopeful. I've seen two of his films: Arrival and Sicario. Thought both were done really well.

Waiting on Blade Runner 2049 next to see how he gets on when going into a pre-existing Universe.

Also gotten hold of two of his previous films but haven't gotten around to watching them yet: Enemy and Prisoners.

For Dune, I got into it through the Mini-Series, then the books and then watched the film. Not pushed about the film compared to the Mini-Series and it was for TV. The books went so much further. I barely remember the film compared to the mini-series but especially the books. So maybe it woulda been better to do the film first :)

Ok, so then I got thinking about casting and who for House Atreides?

Here's a only a quick start at a possible cast..

How about:
    Duke Leto Atreides - Liam Neeson
    (Recent: Silence. Previously: Taken films, Nolans Batman Films, Michael Collins, Schindler's List)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Neeson
    409613.jpg
    He's got form playing Leader/Tactical/Dad (also actual Dad of 2)

Lady Jessica - Sandra Bullock
    (Recent: Gravity. Previously: Crash)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Bullock
    409614.jpg
    She's got some space action experience. Might need a good Director. (also actual Mam of 2 and at 52 is 12 years younger than Neeson which is close to the Leto/Jessica 14 years)

Paul Atreides - Jack Reynor
    (Recent: Sing Street. Previously: What Richard Did)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reynor
    409615.jpg
    Apparently also played King Malcolm III of Scotland in Fassbenders Macbeth recently but I haven't seen that.

Alia Atreides - Shree Crooks
    (Recent: Captain Fantastic. Previously: Ray Donovan)
    No wiki so: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5369197/
    409616.jpg
    Only young actress I can remember from recently. Mainly because I thought Captain Fantastic good. (also 13 years younger than Reynor which is close to the Paul/Alia 15 years)

What ya think? Any suggestions/alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Would love to see Liam Neesen get a part in it and if he can give 150% maybe even win an award or two for it. That man is overdue some big awards. He deserves to be given a part where he might get to win some.

I also think Sandra Bullock is another great suggestion.

Thanks to the mod for moving my first post. I looked for dune found nothing and then posted about it. I did not realise there was already a thread started on it which is great. It did not come up on my search.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Please... no Bullock...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sandra Bullock FFS, what are people smoking? (Spice?)

Slydice wrote: »
    Any suggestions/alternatives?
    :) :pac:

Given the book's settings and inspirations, an all-white cast would see like a fairly tone deaf decision were it made for this second adaptation. IF the intention with the new script is to keep those Middle Eastern, political themes intact it would be a shame not to reinforce that with a diverse cast.

Given the book's settings and inspirations, an all-white cast would see like a fairly tone deaf decision were it made for this second adaptation. IF the intention with the new script is to keep those Middle Eastern, political themes intact it would be a shame not to reinforce that with a diverse cast.

I'd love to see the Atreides as Far Eastern and the Fremen as Middle Eastern. The Harkonnen's can be white because they're evil.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

You're joking right? Movie killer Will Smith and his boring brood.

Not sure if trailer for a film or Nicole Kidman auditioning to be Lady Jessica:

Also works age wise.. plus an awards list that's pretty hard to ignore!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Nicole_Kidman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Duke Leto I: "The Duke was tall, olive-skinned. His thin face held harsh angles warmed only by deep gray eyes"
    Lady Jessica: "The face was oval under a cap of hair the color of polished bronze. Her eyes were set wide, as green and clear as the morning skies of Caladan. The nose was small, the mouth wide and generous. Her figure was good but scant: tall and with its curves gone to slimness."
    Paul: "face oval like Jessica's, but strong bones . . . hair: the Duke's black-black but with browline of the maternal grandfather who cannot be named, and that thin, disdainful nose; shape of directly staring green eyes"

Tigger wrote: »
    Duke Leto I: "The Duke was tall, olive-skinned. His thin face held harsh angles warmed only by deep gray eyes"
    Lady Jessica: "The face was oval under a cap of hair the color of polished bronze. Her eyes were set wide, as green and clear as the morning skies of Caladan. The nose was small, the mouth wide and generous. Her figure was good but scant: tall and with its curves gone to slimness."
    Paul: "face oval like Jessica's, but strong bones . . . hair: the Duke's black-black but with browline of the maternal grandfather who cannot be named, and that thin, disdainful nose; shape of directly staring green eyes"

and that grandaddy is
    baron harkonnen
    so if we want a perfectly true adaption we'd have to see a tiny bit of family resemblance.

and that
    grandaddy is baron harkonnen
    so if we want a perfectly true adaption we'd have to see a tiny bit of family resemblance.
    Might want to watch the spoilers there.

Wonder if they'll make Baron Harkonnen morbidly obese that needs repulsors to support his flab? Also a paedophile rapist who likes young boys but I doubt they'll go that far.

I think that's the one good thing that came from the Lynch Dune. The Harkonnen's really looked the part. And Brad Dourif's mentat was great.

I loved Sting. Q6h6eoq.gif

Eric Roth on board

The New Dune Movie Is Being Written By the Man Who Wrote Forrest Gump
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-dune-movie-is-being-written-by-the-man-who-wrot-1794046167

Timothee Chalamet in talks to play Paul Atreides.

Not quite who I was expecting but extremely pleased to see this film is still happening.

• Advertisement

Never heard of the guy tbh, but delighted to hear this film is still actually happening. Excited to see what Villeneuve comes up with - a long overdue adaptation

Advertisement