Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

Folks is the 1984 Film as bad as they say? Is it even worth watching? Would it spoil the upcoming sequels plot wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It has flashes of brillance and flashes of wtf... a hot mess.

It covers the second part of the story so will spoil. For curiosity sake you could watch first half of it

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Absolutely worth watching, a crazy film in so many ways. It will spoil the sequel to the newer one. But it has plot elements from the book that the newer film left out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Answered already but to add my own 2 cents: it's ... unique. Ironically, despite conveying more info about the world and its characters (though literal talking to the audience or lots [LOTS] of voiceover), in many ways the 1984 film is leagues more impenetrable than the Villeneuve film. Regarding spoiling, yes it covers the entirety of the first book so how things shake out for Paul & Friends will be spoiled.

However, it's a mental film; absolutely arresting madness captured on screen. You know how people say "they don't make them like that anymore?". This is a good example 'cos there's no way any studio would ever give a known art-house auteur a blockbuster film again (probably because of flops like Dune 1984). Just for the production design and style alone it's worth watching, sometimes resembling a mad fever-dream than something tangible or real.

Not objectively a "good" film, far from it. But it won't be a film you'll quickly forget either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I watched the 1984 film only last week and I thought it started promisingly but quickly becomes hilarious with its pacing and acting. Worth a watch alright but if I could make the choice again, I would have waited until after the sequel to the 2021 film.

Speaking of which we rewatched it again this week and it's as good now after watching it just a month or so ago. Last film I was able to do that with was from 2008.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What was the film from 2008, I'm curious? 😀

I'm looking forward to watching this again too; Warners actually shared the (unedited?) first 10 minutes of the film, presumably to stoke interest in the digital release. Just got me itching to have another trip to Arrakis...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Film from 2008 was surely the groundbreaking Sex and the City movie. That or The Dark Knight but I’m leaning towards SATC for some reason 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'll give you this, you mentioned one of them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Shred

I had very, very vague recollections of the Lynch movie from when my older siblings watched it when I was younger. But I did watch it last year in anticipation of this and thought it was absolutely dreadful; for me it's the kind of film people who poke fun at Sci-Fi could use to beat Sci-Fi fans to death with. It feels so rushed and many of the character portrayals are fairly laughable (even taking the age of the film into consideration); Baron Harkonnen for instance (all due respect to Kenneth McMillan who was a likeable actor in many other things)! It almost feels like a parody!

I can understand people have affection for it if they saw it in/around when it came out, but it really doesn't stand up to modern scrutiny, not least when measured against the latest iteration (a bit unfair, I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I watched Dune 1984 last night.

I didn’t know what to expect of the film itself but I had a feeling that it would be a chore to watch.

However I really enjoyed it. The synopsis on iTunes says “dazzling special effects, unforgettable images and powerful performances” - however said that must sucking on spice. The worms look good the VFX are terrible (the personal shields are ridiculous) considering Empire Strikes Back and Blade Runner come out first - Last Starfighter was the same year and I’m pretty sure VFX were better than Dune back then.

Nothing great about the acting but nothing terrible.

What it does have is ambition and imagination. The set designs are great (the sets in the 2021 are dull), the vehicles and their controls look at least a bit futuristic (2021 version had helicopters with modern control panels), the costumes are colourful (2021 version seem more or less the same just Dean colours, although Rebecca Ferguson’s costumes are very good), they show us the capital and the Emperor, and the Naviagtors Guild is a fun and interesting element (both left out of the 2021 version).

The Guild is clearly important and if they really should have had more than a single mention in Part 1 - the Emperor at least has been properly established as a threat even though he hasn’t been on screen. Are the Navigators in the books also mutated creatures that wanted Paul dead?

The “second half” of the story in the 1984 version is far too rushed. They explain everything but more time should have been given to the sister. She and Paul have no screen time together prior to the battle.

A few at least of Paul not wanting the sister involved in the battle is needed because when she suddenly shows up in the heart of the enemies stronghold and that it was Paul’s palm it makes him seem like a dick regardless of what powers she has. Or how creepy she is.

Still it is a lot fun and there was effort out into designing it.

I had a feeling watching the new version that Gurney survives. I can’t make out some of the dialogue when Paul finds him - is he saying the guys they are fighting are smugglers? Has Gurney become a criminal?

The new version has better acting and a better script and the advantage of more time to tell the story.

In regards to design and imagination the 1984 version is better. The look and designs of the new version are drab.

The VFX of the 1984 one are woeful (except for the worms) - the VFX of the new are are nothing special.

I got around to watching this anyway , up to the point where Paul joins the Fremen so that I wouldn't spoil the new sequels. As warned its a real mess. Some amazing looking pieces but a very frustrating experience watching it as I felt that it could almost have been great if its problems had been addressed. I watch a youtube doc about it and it seems that Lynch believed he had a Trilogy of films to work with but only found out during filming that he would only get one hence the awful pacing and general confusion throughout.

The art work for the prologue/into was a very bad start. Really terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah, it's felt really wierd seeing people recommend watching the 1984 version.

Badly quality, not the directors original vision, gives away the story for part two of this modern one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Never seen this or even know anything Dune so my question is should i watch it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well if you're a sci-fi fan then you definitely should!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,880 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Though equally, if you're a fan of sci-fi, I'd say go read the book, and then watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think that's a bit harsh TBH. (But, each to their own. Mine is just a personal opinion). I thought the design of Dune 21 was amazing. The sheer scale of everything.. Mind you, I did go to see it in the cinema - the scale will be lacking on a TV, no matter how big. Of course it is a bit unfair to compare a max-budget 21st Century movie by a director given total control and trust from studio to Lynch's famously restricted version. The costume design for the scene with the Emperor's herald was fantastic. The set design: Caladin surrounded by lushness but the Atreides household quite spare and martial without being a military base. Arakkis sets all about being large rooms and corridors. There was some spectacular costume design in Dune 84 also (Let's just try to ignore Sting's thong, OK?). The Navigator and their entourage for example. But... The gaudiness at times got me thinking about Flash Gordon. All it was missing was a bare-chested Brian Blessed as Duncan Idaho

I thought the effects were flawless, which can actually be a double-edged sword: They were seamless. You simply accepted the ornithopters, the worms, the cityscapes, the scale. Here is a director who knows how to direct scale (And Arrival shows he knows how to direct a more sedate pace. Both of these REALLY bode well for him doing Rama after Dune Part 2. Inspired choice). Obviously this is also just part 1. The vast majority of Part 2 will be smaller scale with the Fremen and all the political machinations. Will be interesting to see this juxtaposition between the parts.

That may be a bit pointy-beard navel-gazing, I apologize. I just like cinematography/movie design... I don't even have a pointy beard :). I will agree with you on this: The design is a bit more...... restrained than Dune 84 but, IMHO, I prefer this restraint over trying to be the next grown up Star Wars/less kinky Flash Gordon that Dune 84 was attempting

I think both films' designs are fabulous myself, but both coming from different perspectives: the 1984 film let its imagination run wild with borderline impractical insanity; while the latter-day movie tried to imagine designs both distinctly "alien" to our sensibilities, yet familiar all the same.

I will say, I preferred and loves the Herald of the 2021 film; specifically what I presumed to be spice-infused navigators? The guys with the helmets fogged with orange gas. A spectacular introduction to the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yep, the 1984 sure would spoiler the second part (next film) of this modern one.

It sure is something reading how annoyed the director of the 1984 film was about how wrecked that film was:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(1984_film)#Editing

Editing

The rough cut of Dune without post-production effects ran over four hours long, but Lynch's intended cut of the film (as reflected in the seventh and final draft of the script) was almost three hours long. Universal and the film's financiers expected a standard, two-hour cut of the film. Dino De Laurentiis, his daughter Raffaella and Lynch excised numerous scenes, filmed new scenes that simplified or concentrated plot elements and added voice-over narrations, plus a new introduction by Virginia Madsen. Contrary to rumor, Lynch made no other version besides the theatrical cut. A television version was aired in 1988 in two parts totaling 186 minutes; it replaced Madsen's opening monologue with a much longer description of the setting that used concept art stills. Lynch disavowed this version and had his name removed from the credits, Alan Smithee being credited instead. The name Alan Smithee is a pseudonym used by directors who wish not to be associated with a film for which they would normally be credited. The extended and television versions additionally credit writer Lynch as Judas Booth. This version (without recap and second credit roll) has occasionally been released on DVD as Dune: Extended Edition. Several longer versions have been spliced together.[15] Although Universal has approached Lynch for a possible director's cut, Lynch has declined every offer and prefers not to discuss Dune in interviews.[16]

• Advertisement

See the posts above yours , Its not a good film in any sense but its fairly unforgettable and has moments of brilliance. I found it painful myself but glad I saw it. If you watch past the plot point where the New Dune finished up you'll spoil the upcoming sequel.

I did see Dune 2021 at the cinema. Flawless VFX yes, but that is nothing surprising - they had the money and talent. VFX on a movie with money and talent really only get flawed when trying are breaking new ground. Dune 2021 wasn’t doing anything that require pushing the envelope.

It was Dune 2984 that I saw in a TV. And it still looked more large scale and epic.

But what stands out in 1985 is the designs. Just about everything looks otherworldly about the ships and sets. Nothing about the locations or sets stood out in 2021.

Seamless effects are not a double edge sword to me - a great design is a great design. VFX in Blade Runner 2049 are also flawless but everything look beautiful and futuristic. Seamless effects are but the cause of the problem with the ornithopters - the problem is that they are out of pace with the spaceships and the fighter craft. Those look otherworldly but the helicopter looks like something we have now and the controls are buttons and nobs. And look 1980s.

I don’t think fussiness is a word I would use for anything in 1984 but yes there was element of Something I can’t quite describe that a lot of specs sci-fi had back then including Flash Gordon. The Navigator entourage was wearing bin bags but was was good about it was that they explored the Dune universe outside Paul’s story. I know Villenue want to do this from Paul’s POV but without exploring the universe it leaves 2021 lacking.

“Star Wars for grown ups” is how Villenue described the books. I don’t know if he said that “grown up Star Wars” is what he wanted to make but I didn’t see anything more about adult or anything like that. No doubt the comment ruffled some feathers but I read the interview and there was no evidence that offence was meant not that he was putting down Star Wars. The comment actually got me more interested but in the end there was nothing “grown up”.

I’m not saying 2021 was a bad movie. It just didn’t fire my imagination and nothing in it looked special.

No one can ignore Sting’s thong. Or forget. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I have known 'big movie fans' who go to just about anything that comes out in the cinema. I'm thinking of a couple of folks in particular (not generalising) and they have terrible taste. They enjoy complete bilge but don't like anything different, original or surprising.

So...I'd usually have a set of trusted reviewers and if they say something is good, I'd usually find the same (subjectively, of course). And if they say something is bad, they are always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭Cordell

The 1984 film is quite bad, it has its moments but it tries to cram to much. If you want a proper introduction to the lore either read the book or watch the 2000 mini-series (which is no too bad, quite dated, but at least it gets almost everything right).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The 1984/Lynch's movie for it's time was stunning, yes even the FX. I was there when it was a new release on VHS at least :) . Weird, gross, and cheesy but considering every scifi movie (and there were few then that weren't direct to tape) was trying to be Star Wars for over a decade it was a gem at the time for it's originality, design and vision. Nowadays yes it's clunky but trust me if you were a nerd and got to watch it in those days it was more of a triumph for it's time than the current version (and I love the current more, just in comparison to the few other offerings there were at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't know, the Lynch's version looks like something done by a director that discovered acid 20 years too late :)

The 2021 one is good but a bit too shallow, I don't know if it works for someone that is not familiar with the universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lynch’s film is almost certainly the worst film Lynch has made, and undoubtedly the most compromised. But it’s a film of mad vision from almost every creative department - art design, set design, SFX, music, cinematography, the works. It was a hypnotically weird cinema experience when I saw the re-release last year - an admirable fiasco of a film loaded with memorably surreal, grotesque, majestic moments. Fundamentally flawed in so many ways (some beyond the filmmakers’ control, and some not), and yet its sheer depth of ambition can’t be denied. The music and sound design alone - blasted out at deafening volume in a theatre - made me feel as if I was having a fever dream 😅

In contrast I think Villineuve makes films that leave me cold and totally unmoved - partially by design, granted, but in a way that often has me tuning out long before the credits roll. I can absolutely admire some of the design here (the towering spaceships are gloriously eerie) but there’s a certain clinical, ‘prestige’ style to the filmmaking that just leaves me at a remove. This is undoubtedly a ‘superior’ film in many objective senses - the fact that it actually has any pacing at all is a step up from the Lynch film 😂 And yet it failed to get under my skin in the way Lynch’s manic, flawed take on the material did.

Also, it’d be mad not to watch Lynch’s film for fear of ‘spoilers’. The Dune story is incredibly simple and predictable stuff - it’s the world-building and imagery that stand out much more.

It is good.

Solid VFX, good acting for the most part (Issac never seems like he the character needed to be there, Momoa just Momoa) .

I knew it would be good because of who was involved but I was just expecting something visually spectacular - I don’t know what it was exactly only that it didn’t happen.

I do recommend it though. It is a great story,

• Advertisement

Are the people with bad taste and you trusted reviewers the same people?

Your post makes it seem like they are

Advertisement