Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Denis has mentioned that they changed the way they did the eyes in the new film due to a different technique, hence why they are darker in part 1 than part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Does the book describe the process of ensuring the sex of a child ?

Leto’s comments suggest it is a difficult/painful process or that she had to at least endure great discomfort.

I can’t remember exactly but doesn’t Part Two show Jessica “cheating” during the poison water trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's not really a "process" just something she can do with her mind.

According to Herbert science in Dune is a bit makey uppy. Some of it is just a convenient way to tell a story like how lasers hitting shields causes nuclear reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,833 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leto’s comment wasn’t in relation to physical difficulty, but rather that she defied the Bene Gesserit to give him a son when she had been instructed to have a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The editing around the 2 hour mark is pretty poor, it felt like 2 scenes got left out completely and it kinda bugged me for the remainder of the film.

Also, some of the dialogue is quite hammy at times , kinda felt like something out of an amateur Shakespeare play at certain times

Still enjoyed it though, the cinematography, sound and SFX was pretty insane. Brilliant cast too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭winstonia

Enjoyed it, wasn't sure after the first hour but then it got going. Bit too much Timmy and his silly sandwalk. Nice sound from blanch IMAX. Seat was shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Was at this last Saturday, expecting it to be fairly quite given this was its 4th week of release, but the place was jammed. The film has serious legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

That editing around the two hour mark, was that the main Sietch getting attacked for 20 seconds without any real showcasing of what was happening to the people inside?

That seriously jarred me, especially when you have Stilgar just appearing after the 10 second assault, all busted and bandaged up without any context to what exactly happened to him in the attack. That was poor editing, soap opera level stuff, especially when you consider the previous scene Stilgar was in, he was the authority figure in Paul riding the sandworm. Plus that attack is what basically unites the different fronts of the Fremen to go on the all out warpath together, and hardly any of it was shown.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$631 million worldwide and still ticking up; think we can call this one a success & seems like a Part 3 is a question of when, not if? The other question being if Warners are so impatient they'll take it from Villeneuve (who wants to take a break from Arrakis)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I doubt they'd get anyone else. It would flop.

• Advertisement

For the story itself, it makes sense to leave it a few years anyway. As far as I can remember from the books, there's a fairly significant time lapse between Dune and Dune Messiah. Not that they need to leave this time, but it's not like some other book series' where you actively absolutely have to keep shooting to not totally break age-continuity (Potter series etc).

He could go away and do something else (hopefully Rama, though I expect he'd want to do something smaller), and come back for Messiah in ~5 years or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I'd say his next will be something grounded and with a small budget. But the way WB operate these days I do wonder if they'll be too impatient to wait for the director who delivered this success & give it to some Yes Man to direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Is it possible for Villeneuve to make a turkey? like the the first one this is just as good if not better, everything about it was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

4 potential upcoming projects he says (article published March 1st):

"I have four projects on the table, currently. One of them is a secret project that I cannot talk about right now, but that needs to see the light of day quite quickly. So it would be a good idea to do something in between projects, before tackling Dune Messiah and Cleopatra. All these projects are still being written, so we’ll see where they go, but I have no control over that."

The one he couldn't talk about is (the just announced) ‘Nuclear War: A Scenario’ I'm assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just a couple of points, not to argue with you, as your summation is IMO pretty spot on.
    The other Great Houses are all in orbit over Arrakis during the battle of Arrakeen, every Great House of the Landsraad.
    The Guild had lowered the cost of military transport to such a level that even the poorest houses were present.
    Now, Villeneuve could have made it clear that whilst the Great House armies were orbiting Arrakis, the Guild played a role in this by desiring not to imperil melange production.

When the Emperor landed on Arrakis, he raised the CHOAM banner, making clear that the intervention he thought he would make was economic. reminding all the Great Houses watching from Orbit where the profits lay. The guild landed the Emperor and the Harkonnen, holding the other Great houses off planet on pain of loss of Guild shipping rights.
    At the time of his landing, the Emperor thought he was whipping a desert rebel, rather than confronting any remnant of House Atreides

One of Paul's 1st acts after the battle was to threaten total destruction of the Spice if the Guild did not remove the Great House armies back to whence they came.
    This had the effect of confirming to all, that Paul had ultimate power.
    The movie does at least show that the Great Houses weren't just going to accept that as fait accompli.
    The book makes much of imperial society and power resting on the tripod of Landsraad, Choam and House Corrino.
    Paul's acknowledgement by the Guild and his defeat of House Corrino(and Harkonnen) gave him de jure control of the Imperium as he could order the guild to strand any house that opposed him and leave them without interstellar trade.

Paul's taking of Irulan as wife and his removal of Shaddam as Emperor should IMO be seen in the context of what Shaddam is reduced to.
    He was sent into exile on Salusa Secundus, and Paul made it clear that it would be comfortable.
    The theory of the book being that hard planets make elite armies(simplified I know) but Shaddam then foresaw that Paul intended to unleash the Fremen.
    Once Paul chose Irulan as his path to the throne, he made Chani his negotiator and made clear that he wanted the entirety of House Corrino's CHOAM holdings.
    He stripped all power and most wealth from the Corrino and then proceeded to retire Shaddam to a far more comfortable Salusa Secundus than that which birthed the Sardaukar.

Now I do think the shots, scenes and exposition that would have made this all apparent within the movie?
    Exist on a cutting room floor, and unfortunately, with Villeneuve being Villeneuve, I dont think those will ever see light as a director's cut.
    Moments such as the Sardaukar attack on sietch Tabr, exist within the book to give the Emperor insight into Fremen martial prowess and indeed make him suspect that it is the Harkonnens planning with them.
    Similarly with the battle of Arrakeen and its aftermath, the use of the atomics in particular isnt given the sense of political risk it carries in the book due to there being no mention of the Great Convention.
    I do think one of the funniest lines in the book is the "I was in a hurry to meet you" throwaway after blasting the shield wall.
    Scenes with Thufir Hawat and Count Fenring, aswell as additional back story to the gladiator fight were all shot, and christ I'd love to see them.

Also, on a very related note….
    Christ I've turned into a weirdo comic book guy!
    From now on I'll start all my Dune posts with….

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dune 2 hitting Digital streaming tomorrow, that was fast.

Didnt get a chance to see it in the Cinema so looking forward to firing this up and giving the home theatre system a workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Mighty news. Seen this at the cinema but looking forward to giving the two parts a spin, one after the other, to see how that pans out.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not impressed with either, the cgi is great but they have changed the characters too much and left huge parts out. David Lynchs was better and closer to the book. I know the weirding modules are not part of the book.

The Guild Navigators, Hara, and Alia was born in Dune. Paul and Chani had a child that was killed during an attack. There was the smugglers, the shield wall was a natural feature. The gender change of Liet-Kynes who was the father of Chani.

The best adaptations tend not to just shoe-horn in all the stuff though, and instead try to honor the intention of the original medium in a way that better suits the new medium. Which I think these did pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Long time since I read the book. But my memory is the Lynch movie in many ways covers more of the book in an coherent way.

But on rewatching the lynch movie, I can see now it was chopped to bits in editing. It jumps all over the place. Especially the second half. It just doesn't flow properly.

The new movie certainly leaves things out, perhaps doesn't tell the story of the book as clearly. But the cinematography, production and editing is on a different level as a result are far better movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to flag IFI in Dublin has a 70mm print of this screening next week. https://ifi.ie/film/dune-part-two-70mm/

A little late in the day, but probably the best way to see the film in an Irish cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Just caught the digital version, took it over 2 nights, split at the point he goes south to meet the mother.

I know nothing of the books, I take what I see as Cannon.

First thing I did is watch a 5 min YT recap on the first film, that reignited the interest.

The best thing about Dune 2 is how Villleneuve builds up the prophecy of the one, it's slow & steady yet always growing. what I found jarring was a few scenes after rising from the blue tears he is then challenging the religious council. It just felt that something might have been cut out at that point.

Also, it's never really explained to the non book reader how the emperor has such power, yes he has the witches & a shiney ship but his Swiss Guard don't look up to it.

Other thing that bugged me was the fear of the sand worms, they are slip sliding early on to avoid then using them like the Luas later in the film.

Now, people like me know nothing of the other houses at this stage so can't really appreciate the true threat in orbit.

For all that nitpicking I really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sorry if it has been asked but there's too many pages to check; was that a deliberate Life of Brian reference in there?

Advertisement