Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some people only like and read comics, some people like books with a thousand plus pages of dense print to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe already mentioned earlier but one slight pause of concern with the sequel: while the release has been advertised as Oct 20, 2023 ... Shooting won't begin til autumn 2022.

That's a pretty tight turnaround and even Villeneuve seems a little anxious, via a recent interview; he does make the point that much of the preproduction is already done, so maybe that'll count a lot for reducing the stress and pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Friend who watched it last night had similar opinion to this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a personal rule to avoid using the words ‘bored’ or ‘boring’ when talking about film. I think it’s too often used as a shortcut to getting at why a film didn’t work, or to lazily dismiss slower paced films.

So let me tell you I really mean it when I say I was bored by the last hour of Dune in particular 😅 I genuinely found it to be some seriously lifeless, joyless, passionless filmmaking, one or two memorable images aside. It doesn’t even IMO have the sheer sense of scale and awe that carries the opening hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I don't think Oct 2023 is going to happen. Maybe if they start shooting July and finish in November then Dec 2023 would be possibility, but if shooting doesn't begin until Sept/Oct as Villeneuve implies then it will probably be summer 2024 at the earliest. The studio is probably pressuring Villeneuve to start shooting early summer but if they wanted to meet that release date they should have green-lit it earlier.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Being a big fan of the book (it's where this username comes from), it felt like it envisaged the worlds I in my head and I really enjoyed it. I knew structurally where the break/film's end had to be and I can see how that sort of break can be unsatisfying as there's no proper pay off (yet). The OH then, unfamiliar with the book, was a bit bored and I see how that can happen too. I'd be curious to see if fans of the book enjoyed it more than those unfamiliar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You get sprayed with water, but not a massive amount that would leave you soaked. There is a button to turn this part off.

There's smoke that comes from front of screen, and fans along the tops of the side walls, as well as strobes.

The seats have air jets, and pressure points.

The seats also tilt forward, back and side to side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I wonder is there some horse trading at play we don't see. The studio maybe using the unreasonable release date to pull the budget back (in exchange for a kinder timeline). I try to just assume any given studio is always angling at something aimed at the bottom line; actually, have WB hinted how this has done ok HBO Max? Either way I hope Villeneuve is given the time and money he needs.

4DX sounds absolutely horrendous and if ever there was a contention blockbusters had become theme park rides, it's gimmicks like this (though to be fair Hollywood has always had sensory fads; smellovision and the like). It'd be nice if cinemas just had breathable air (the Santry IMC had us sitting through Dune with no Aircon).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

If your in the mood for a dusty/sandy version of game of thrones kinda set in the future with jarring longshots and banging noises with bagpipe overtures but set at a glacial place with a sudden unsatisfactory ending, this is the movie for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's a gimmick alright. But it works under certain circumstances.

I couldn't resist, and had watched the first 15 minutes at home. And it looked much better on my screen at home, compared to 3D in the cinema.

And I'm still going to see a proper 2D version of it in the cinema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd imagine the water spray doesn't play well with the glasses! I'm actually curious to try it, but would prefer the 3D without the 4DX if they had that!

I'll prob get the 3D BluRay after which will always look amazing in the VR headset (or my 55" 3D TV... for as long as that lasts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Will be interesting to see the sietch orgy in 4DX 😜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I remember the days when 4D was the underwhelming thing you went to at Disneyland when the queues for the good rides were too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

isn't Lady Jessica supposed to be supretrained but doesn't learn about Arrakis?

could he not just incapacitated that guy?

Post edited by pjcb on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Liked my friends review today:

We will need you to explain the plot to us coz we didnt get a thing

But we really enjoyed it

I jsut thought it looked so cool, the costuming was another level

And the bad guys were the most scary bad guys

Like that fat guy when he levitated

And the grandmother

And the hans zimmer music

It could not be more cool that movie

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McFly85

4DX is enjoyable for the right film, where it’s as much about spectacle as anything else. Saw Infinity War/Endgame in it and thought it was fun. There was a bit in IW where the camera sweeps over a battlefield and your seat is moving in a way that makes you feel like you’re moving with it which was cool, it felt exactly like the old back to the future theme park ride.

But obviously it’s only good for a small list of films, I couldn’t imagine sitting there getting sprayed by water just after Andy Dufresne escaped Shawshank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McFly85

Saw it over the weekend in the cinema, have to say I enjoyed it, but I think moreso for the spectacle than anything else - it was fun to see Villeneuves vision of Arrakis.

Plot-wise it felt relatively generic, but I suspect that’s because so much other sci-fi over the years have been inspired by or lifted bits out of it.

I did think the film had weak characterisation. I don’t like Chalamet anyway, to me he plays the same guy in everything I’ve seen him in and there was no difference here. Same with Jason Momoa, and Isaac seemed to be nothing more than a nice guy, whereas I thought he was supposed to be some sort of master strategist.

Dune I think would probably be better done through a HBO series than a film. More time for world and character building, you probably wouldn’t get the same epic scale as the first half of the film but you’d end up with a better package overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

This was the one film I was looking forward to seeing in cinemas, and while I didn’t go to a packed out theatre, it was still amazing to see on the big screen.

while it didn’t quite hit the heights of blade runner, it was still epic. Given the dense source material, I thought Villeneuve did an amazing job of telling a lucid story. The one gripe I did have was how it ended. It seemed to end as if the second part of the story was just beginning, and just felt a little off.

In any case, I’m delighted part 2 has been green-lit, and if Villeneuve can stick the landing with part 2, this will be the definitive version of Dune and will go down as a classic.

Im in no doubt that this will grow on audiences over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watched this last night.

As others have said its technically very well made.

Very little cgi, real sets where possible, good cinematography and good acting.

It could have done with heavier exposition to introduce the different factions/families, the emperor and stuff like the guild, space travel etc.

Even a couple of 5 minute voiceovers or flashbacks would have been beneficial. I think alot of non book readers would be confused.

Negatives: I'm usually a fan of Zimmer but I didnt like the soundtrack in this.

Not enough variety, overbearing and didnt build the suspense enough.

That Wonder Woman shout song is really annoying too.

The sound mix of the HBO 5.1 soundtrack is very poor. The dialogue is way too low and the special effects are overpowering. Even with the centre channel boosted and a few other tweaks the dialogue was hard to decipher at points.

I've discussed this issue with modern films in other threads on here but this was a pretty poor mix.

I enjoyed the film but it left me a little bit disappointed, as if something was lacking.

Probably better suited to a 10 part series than 2 films as so much has to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Waterford Whispers take on it...

Local Man Not Sure If He Liked Dune But Doesn’t Want To Look Like An Idiot

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2021/10/28/local-man-not-sure-if-he-liked-dune-but-doesnt-want-to-look-like-an-idiot/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's pretty good especially the "batsht old book" or the "‘a nice change of pace from all that noisy Marvel shite" which feels like it was ripped straight from this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Final week of big screen showings..

Atreides!!! Atreides!!! Atreides!!!

No call unanswered, No faith betrayed. Here they were, Here they remain.

I know it's a marmite instrument at the best of times, but the bagpipes were a surreal, spine-chilling moment. Though my hardcore Dune friend was annoyed it wasn't a basinet from the book 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Went to see it last night. Loved it! Didn't seem to drag at all for me. I've sat through 90 minute films in the past that seemed to never end, could easily have sat through another hour or two of this !!

Only complaint was the muffed dialogue in many scenes. Found it hard to make out exactly whet was being said. Bagpipes blared over thufir hawat at one stage and Paul's dream revelation in the tent with his mother was hard to understand. unless you read the books i don't think you would have quite got the impact of what he was seeing/implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭jj880

I thought it was an amazing movie. I didnt know the story from the original from the 80s.

After how the ending went I enjoyed it even more watching it a 2nd time. Picking up on lots of things I didnt really notice on the 1st viewing.

I can see how some found it lagging in places but I thought it was great. Cant wait for part two.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

are these guys in the movie trying to 'play 3d chess' with each other? the level risk/sacrifice involved in their strategies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

What was grown up and esoteric about it ?

Bar the few minutes where the Duke was paralysed and naked it was very much an action adventure suitable for most of the family and it was clearly aimed at as wide an audience as possible - I expected weird and esoteric myself but it wasn’t.

Advertisement