Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acceptable Covid death rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sure you know your own health but you also have no idea how you will react to covid, and you also dont know if you had it already. You might be more high risk but thats just simply the cards you have been dealt in life, nobody has a perfect hand.

as far as an “acceptable level of deaths” our entire health system is built on having an acceptable level of deaths. We are fast approaching 1 million people in ireland waiting for treatment of some type, so the HSE & gov have accepted a large portion of the population going untreated some of whom will die from preventable or treatable ailments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Queueing outside was almost definitely the safest thing they did all evening from a covid perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

AFAIK every country where the virus was widespread lost large numbers of nursing home residents. Seems like the only way this could have been prevented, or largely prevented, would have been through very extreme measures like totally isolating the entire community, including staff, for months on end.

Politicians in Ireland are terrified of the grey vote ,while obviously people who die can no longer vote , the elderly are seen as more important in general so if a lot of older people died , it's likely voters across the board would react a lot stronger than they would when younger people's lives are disrupted to an incredible degree

We prioritise the elderly in Ireland a lot more than most countries, by contrast we give little thought to kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The government has sacrificed the complete well being mentally and physically of our youth for the sake of our elderly, me included, by putting us first in the pecking order of priority during this pandemic instead of them. The mental scars that our children will endure for years will only become apparent in the future, sadly. It was always every parents duty to put the welfare of their children first, but the government seem to have forgotten that.

Voters here have always supported the elderly being prioritised, politicians just follow that so the covid policy reaction isn't that surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Are you claiming that 100% of immunocompromised people who caught COVID died, or are you admitting that you are typing complete guff?

Nobody can make a claim that they will definitely die if they catch COVID with any credibility. It simply isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

I'd imagine the excessive queue time outside of Coppers had to do with the restrictions in place and checking of Covid passports. The only way to prevent the excessive queuing anywhere would be to speed up the checking process (which I'd imagine is impossible due to everyone needing to be checked individually), getting rid of the checks (which I doubt you'd accept or be happy wiith), or shutting down the nightclub completely.

Outside of that, you're expecting everyone who has a right to attend to just not go out and have fun.

I know I have not had it as I have not been out and about. If I did it have it, I would be battling for my life in ICU on a ventilator.

I do know how I will react to Covid. If it took me nearly 4 months to get rid of the flu after getting the flu vaccine. Imagine what Covid will do to when I have no protection.

Not when they are all bunched together not practising social distancing or wearing a mask.

So are you saying that we should keep everything locked up and pay people to stay at home until there is no covid anymore?

People have done what has been asked of them, should they not now be allowed to get on with lives? The government have a fine line to walk here, they have had a remarkable uptake of the vaccine in comparison to some other countries. Do you think people are going to continue to be so compliant if they enforce more lockdowns etc.?

I never said that and some of those who survived will be suffering from long covid.

Yes they can I did as I know my health and my illness more than you do. I have a chronic illness that can not be cured and I wake up every morning, hoping it has not come back yet. I do know that it will come back and if it turns aggressive my life expectancy is a lot shorter.

Coppers opened at 9 and the queue started at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

If we are borrowing 15 to 20 billion (10 children's hospitals annually) to support restrictions in the economy - money that will need to be repaid - Will there be an even higher human life costs as eventually there will need to be cut backs on health services and there will be less money to spend on new facilities/capacity.

My final point still stands, these people had a right to be there and had complied with the government requirements to be vaccinated, should they just decide not to go? Their excitement is understandable, maybe not to yourself as you've always had a different risk profile, but to these kids, a lot of whom could be going out for the first time legally to a nightclub considering they were all shut for the best part of 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

My apologies if this was mentioned already but Dan O’Brien also commended the article and referenced this letter. Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No need to be so dramatic.

Wearing a mask on public transport only means you wear it all day if you are on the transport all day. Which means you are either driving the bus (in which case you don't need one as you are in your little box) or else you are drifting around like hobo using public transport purely to keep out of the rain and cold.

If it got to the stage where they just aren't arsed at all to enforce restrictions (they aren't enforcing them now that I could see btw) then I'd suggest that the likes of Irish Rail introduce some special non-mask carriages. There are plenty of "mask rebels" who are happy not to wear a mask when everyone else is, but put theirs on when not. I saw an example of this on the train a while back. A relatively young Irish girl got on, sat down across from a mask wearing older lady. The girl pulled out her phone, pulled her mask under her chin and started playing with her phone. An African lady then got on and sat in beside the older lady. The African lady had her mask on, but well under her nose and not covering her mouth properly because it was about a half an inch in front of her face at the top. It was like it was upside down or something and whatever way she had it halfway down around her chin. As soon as the Irish girl saw that the African lady was not wearing her mask properly she immediately put her own mask. I don't know whether that was because the lady was African. But when she was sitting across from the older Irish lady who was wearing a mask, she didn't seem too concerned about covid! I would think that there are plenty of people with similar attitudes to yourself, who wouldn't actually go and sit in a carriage of similar people. You are happy enough to freeride on the backs of others making an effort and protecting you without you doing your bit. That is an attitude that is present in many people throughout society - whether it be people who opt for a life on the dole or whatever. It's the same attitude.

Wearing a mask in enclosed public areas during the time of a pandemic common courtesy or manners - the same as covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Although perhaps the word "common" might not be applicable to the overall boards.ie population when it comes to manners!

• Advertisement

Depends on what you consider to be "draconian". I can't have 3 pints and drive home. And I can't drive past my local national school at 80kph even though I am in a hurry.

Being asked to wear a mask in an enclosed public space could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be called draconian. It would actually be part of "learning to live with covid". There will be plenty of people who won't ever be able to grasp that and learn to live with it.

The reason we actually sometimes need strict rules and enforcement is that, sadly, there are too many ignorant and lazy spongers who don't have manners or do their bit. It would be great if people had courteous and considerate behaviour. If they did - we wouldn't need a lot of the other rules. But because so many won't they ruin it for everyone else.

The sad thing for yourself is that you probably thought, when posting that, that it somehow made you look smart.

I'd say that you'd be among the first to come on here whinging if you had an extended wait for some medical test or procedure because all of the public health care resources were getting swamped from trying to cope with covid emergencies.

Skimpydoo, I have a very good friend who is in a similar, albeit not identical, situation to you. If I catch Covid, I will almost certainly not die. If she catches it, chances are that it will be too much for her. She will be getting her booster within the next two weeks. But she can't depend on it. She is probably a lot younger than your average boards.ie poster.

So I fully empathize with what you are going though. And I can only imagine how frustrating it has to be to see ignorant and lazy people who just don't care. They just take take take from society but when the chips are down for them they will be at the top of the queue with the begging bowl out looking for a bailout. Yet they add very little, or even nothing, to society. When faced with a choice to do something correctly, even if it is the same or less effort than doing it incorrectly, their only "power" in life is to do it the incorrect way and possibly cause harm to someone else. They can't pull themselves up so they have to spend their lives trying to push others down. I hope that you manage to stay away from the covid. Most people are doing their bit to help you and those like you

"So what did you do today Risteard81?"

"Oh I had a great day. I am particularly proud of myself. I managed to sneer at some immuno-compromised fella online because if he catches covid it will probably kill him. It made me feel very good about myself"

I never thought I would ever be saying this but thanks for your kind words Donald Trump. There is a portion of the population that does not give a ****. I do get that people should be back out living a normal life and I am all for that if this is done properly, safely and securely.

I have not had a pint since February 2020 and there is a new pub that has just opened up beside me. It does not seem to be too busy and I would love a pint in there but I can't take the risk.

I never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

• Advertisement

But the truth is that it probably won't kill HIM. HE may even already have had it (or have it now). Why are you so dishonest?

Advertisement