Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acceptable Covid death rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

It's part of the same wider discussion.

I agree that someone should have the courtesy to cover their mouth / nose when coughing and sneezing.

But it's not always practical for someone to take several weeks off every winter when they invariably get the sniffles. Some people can do it, but not everyone.

Not to mention all the hidden illnesses that we are all in contact with every single day. You can only mitigate risk up to a point, after which it starts to become a bit nonsensical in the wider context of a functioning society.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Acknowledging that someone should cover their mouth while coughing is as much of a "civil liberty issue" as acknowleding that people should wear masks on public transport during a pandemic. I don't see how people accept the former but cannot accept the latter.

I never mentioned anything to the effect that the fella I knew should be forced to take weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Government contributing to pressure on health service by cigarettes being legal. Ban them... complicit in thousands of deaths a year and pressure on the health service...

Why is that so overlooked, when they are prepared to lock down the country for close to no deaths a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

People die. It's part of life. Whether it's flu, pneumonia, covid, cancer. We can't shut down the country because someone isn't well and a stiff breeze might kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Maybe it's because a mask stays on your face permanently all day, and is not a natural part of your anatomy. So can be quite irritating when required indefinitely. Although most people were, of course, willing to put up with this irritation in the short term to save lives.

Putting your hand up to catch a sneeze or cough, is generally considered a minor courtesy that doesn't inconvenience people too much.

Masks and social distancing, by their nature, are only really suitable as short term mitigation measures.

You did intimate that staff in your workplace were unhappy that management didn't ask this individual to stay home when sick. Which is why I addressed this aspect of your point specifically.

Look, if you're happy to social distance and wear a mask indefinitely - possibly for years - then work away. Nobody should criticize you for that decision. But I don't think it would be fair to ask society at large to do this. It's not realistic in the long term.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...the needs of the economy sometimes out way human needs, we really should have a long think about this one post covid, but we probably wont!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

At this stage it has to be accepted that people will die from it, we can't save everyone and neither can we stay under restrictions/lockdown scenarios forever to stop people dying. People die every day from a multitude of illnesses and causes, some are avoidable and some are not. The vulnerable need to be extra cautious with their own safety now as society reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The Government at the time literally introduced a ban on smoking indoors in public places overnight. It’s not the same as introducing measures such as lockdowns in an attempt to prevent the spread of a highly infectious disease.

• Advertisement

While I do sympathize with you, I agree with the author. It's been nearly two years, we have to move forward at some point.

He’s making the point that he was right. It’s an absolutely useless point, but sure he was right and that’s all that matters 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, the time to move on back to normal has passed.

Everyone who wants a vaccine has had one. Time to open up. We're at an acceptable threshold and have been for weeks if not longer.

theres no need for these deaths, and for wrecking the economy, it is possible to protect both, we just dont want to, we re just being dumb humans, programs such as 'personal responsibility' have serious limitations at times, probably most of the time

It's not possible to do both unfortunately, if it was we would have never endured a lockdown. People die and there is nothing at all you can do about that fact. Personal responsibility is the name of the game now - if you are sick and at high risk from Covid, don't expect anyone else to look out for you. Take your own precautions and use common sense. Life has to move on and we can't keep all of the vulnerable wrapped in cotton wool forever along with normality.

Surely you’re not that far up your own fundament that you imagine anyone who doesn’t share your opinions doesn’t care about protecting people or the economy? They’re not dumb either. They just don’t share your opinions, or how you imagine everyone else should think about their lives and what matters to them, according to your opinions.

again, i largely disagree, we are all in fact vulnerable in regards this virus, some more so than others of course, but we actually can try protect everyone, theres no need for this approach, we re just choosing it. we re defaulting to think this is how the world works, or should work, it doesnt actually have to be, for example, removing pandemic protective measures for both employees and employers is a choice, theres actually no need to do this, its actually dumb!

I think that one traffic related death is one too many, therefore I propose we place limiters in every road vehicle to have a max speed of 10mph. That way, no one will die in a traffic accident again.

I think that people choking on food and dying is an unacceptable risk. Therefore we should ban all solid food and only sell liquid meal replacements. That way, no one will choke on food again.

Etc.

take a step back and think about it, we re removing protective measures, measures of which we all need, now is this sensible?

We've done 18 months of this, how long do you realistically expect anyone to keep going with that to "protect the vulnerable"? It's not possible - we have been there and done that and we have to get back to normality now. It's sad of course if anyone dies from it but that's just an acceptance that needs to be made to get back to normal life - which is this "default" state you talk of that we shouldn't be doing.

• Advertisement

so we should remove protective measures, thats been proven to protect more, than expose more?

Yes we should, 90%+ of the population have done what was asked of them - there's nothing more that should be asked of them. The country has to reopen now and life has to move on. Granted it may not be normal for the some of the seriously compromised for quite some time yet, but for the rest of us we have to get back to normality.

fair enough..... lets fcuk up the health system some more, and potentially cause a sh1t load of businesses to close permanently, should be interesting going forward....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

First of all, you have my sympathy for your situation.

But with covid, flu, any health condition and in general any human activity, there is a level of risk that is considered acceptable, and this level of risk leads to a death rate that is considered acceptable. Yes, it's cold, but that's the way it is. We don't have hospitals that are minutes away from everyone so there will be deaths from heart attacks and strokes that will only happen because they can't reach the hospital in time. We are accepting a small death rate from road accidents, we are trying to reduce it but we know there is no way to make it zero, so we accept some deaths for our comfort of driving. And so on.

Having been forced to up-end our lives for the last two years has given people plenty of time to think about it. We’re scaling back on measures which were introduced to prevent the spread of an infectious disease which posed a significant threat to public health. The measures were introduced at great expense to our economy, so I don’t agree with the suggestion that we put our economy before people’s needs. In order to continue to meet people’s needs, the economy has to be opened up again and people have to be able to start living again, or you’re looking at the long term effects the measures will have on people’s mental health.

It’s a balancing act which isn’t at all suggesting that the economy takes priority over people’s needs, when it’s patently obvious that what people need is to be able to live, rather than spend the rest of their lives in isolation dependent upon their income being a subsidised payment from the State.

The health system is no concern of mine and I'm not sure it's the responsibility of anyone else either - they have had nearly 2 years to upgrade, increase capacity etc - you might remember that being the reason we initially entered restrictions in March 2020. Then they came along again in winter 2020 and it was yet again about "protecting the health service from being overwhelmed". We are now in November 2021 hearing the same thing again. If our health service is still a shambles given the time and money given to it to get it's **** together over the last 18 months that is nobodies fault but the health service. As I said in another thread, it's sink or swim time for them now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

People die from various things. A benign government could introduce various draconian measures to prevent deaths from things like car accidents, smoking, etc but only with great expense and loss of freedom. We're going to have to learn to live with covid but we already tolerate deaths from lung cancer, strokes, drink-driving, etc. Why should covid be any different?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Nobody's stopping you from getting the best mask as you can, nobody's stopping you from wearing it, hell wear it all the time. Get all the PPE you want. Wear it everywhere. Nobody's asking you to go to packed pubs or nightclubs. Sorry you're classed as vulnerable but we can't stop the world for you. We all only get one life and we've all had the best part of two years stolen off us. We won't get them back, they're gone. It's time to open everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

There is emerging evidence that a (healthy) immune system especially of young children need to be exposed to potentially harmful virus's.

Continuing restrictions could actually be damaging a generation of children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

potentially cause a sh1t load of businesses to close permanently

How is full reopening of the economy going to do this?

Advertisement