Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acceptable Covid death rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So having practically no immune system means I wont die if I get it? Would you cop on. A large proportion of covid deaths is from people with compromised immune systems and I am in that category. Why do you assume I won't die from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ultimately an irrelevant and invalid argument to covid at it's peak.

we never shut down the country to prevent people from dieing from a stiff breze, we shut it down to prevent a ridiculous number of deaths, and protect the country and it's functions and systems from collapse.

but yes, people die, so lets remove all sorts of rules including health and safety, infection controls, sanitary, and just about everything that prevents death.

see how nonsensical the people die argument is? as true as it is as an argument against certain measures isn't going to cut the mustard.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But the poster is explicitly saying that reopening everything now will

potentially cause a sh1t load of businesses to close permanently

Do you think more of this is likely to happen than if, say, pubs, nightclubs and music venues were shuttered for another six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Being housebound isn’t quite what I meant. You’re expecting that other people should be concerned with people in your circumstances, which is not unreasonable or unacceptable, but by that same token, you don’t appear to be willing to acknowledge that other people who aren’t in your circumstances may be taking personal responsibility for themselves in a way in which you disagree with -

That’s the whole point of questioning the cost vs benefits of lockdowns and isolation vs social gatherings and risk of spreading an infectious disease.

I have no doubt people are aware of others who are in similar circumstances to your own, but I don’t expect anyone should stop living their lives because it’s not safe for anyone right now. People will assess their own risk factors and determine what precautionary measures are reasonable, and what measures are unreasonable in their own circumstances.

It doesn’t mean they don’t care about other people, and I don’t expect they’ll be in any position to care for anyone else if they’re not taking care of themselves, both physically and mentally. I don’t know what’s going on in anyones life any more than you do, and I wouldn’t presume to think that they’re being inconsiderate of anyone else because they’re out to enjoy a night out, knowing there is a risk of them spreading an infectious disease. It’s a risk they’re prepared to take, they’re not maliciously intending to harm anyone else.

• Advertisement

If they had family or friends who are immune compromised they would be modifying their behaviour. I guarantee if a government minister had family who was immune compromised they would do anything to protect them.

I have no problem with people attending nightclubs if they do so responsibly. Queueing for two hours to enter a nightclub is not attending nightclubs responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ha Ha , the visit showed me how disproportionate our reaction has been

we are already back to normal and have been for weeks, well as normal as is possible.

the type of normality you want however isn't going to be deliverable for a while until the numties who are refusing to get the vaccine cause da gubament get the message.

and just so we are clear, i am well aware that there are people who can't get it for medical reasons or who like the op, it will not work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We did look after our elderly

The harsh restrictions were all about protecting the elderly as no politician wanted the blame for the death of old people, its not good for votes

you can't just upgrade a health system, even some of the best health systems in the world were on the verge of collapse.

sink or swim time is unviable and won't be happening, hence us still having some very minimal restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know some people are up in arms about the use of the word "acceptable", but the reality is that whether we like it or not, there is always an element of "acceptable deaths" underpinning the bases of most things in society.

Functionally, it is the amount of death we are prepared to tolerate in order to maintain society and individuals within the lifestyle we wish. In effect a trade-off between the lesser evils.

Maybe the problem is the word "acceptable". Think "tolerable" instead. No deaths are "acceptable", but unfortunately we must tolerate deaths, because they cannot all be avoided.

Vehicles are about the perfect analogue here. We tolerate a certain level of deaths on the road because of the utility of vehicles in every day life. No deaths are acceptable - hence the continuous drive to improve road safety and driver behaviour. But we tolerate some deaths. If it was truly a case that no road deaths were acceptable, we would ban all vehicles and shut down all roads; the only way to eliminate road deaths.

But we don't do that, for obvious reasons. Therefore, the obvious and uncomfortable conclusion - we all tolerate/accept road deaths as the price for having vehicles.

But it's not cars. Fast food, football matches, pubs, work machinery, swimming pools, etc ad infinitum. These things all exist because we choose to accept that some people will die, but the benefits of having them outweigh the deaths.

Covid is no different. It is now endemic, it cannot be eliminated. And society cannot lurch in and out of restrictions to try and get a grip on it. We don't do it for any other endemic illness, we cannot do it for this one.

Therefore, there is an acceptable level of covid. There is an acceptable level of deaths. Just like there is for every other illness.

If someone finds that difficult, it's because they need to reset their expectations to meet the reality. Covid is not going anywhere.

Well, that’s assuming they all think like you do, which is unlikely given they’re not in your circumstances.

Expecting that other people should be considerate of your circumstances isn’t unreasonable, but there are people who go beyond that and don’t consider other peoples circumstances just because they see them out waiting in queues to enter nightclubs. That’s what I mean when I’m suggesting showing consideration for other people rather than imagining that they’re being inconsiderate.

nothing was stolen, since stealing is a crime and requires something to have been stolen.

everything is open.

I honestly think if there was another lockdown it would be resisted by the majority of the population this time.

We were told we were working towards a vaccine/antivirals and to allow us to get our house in order.

Well, we have the vaccines, we've had nearly two years of restrictions. If we're not ready now, we never will be.

Covid is never going away. We need to move forward with what we have.

i think she would know more about the risks to her then you ever will.

not to mention you have been proven wrong on every single claim you have made in relation to covid.

yes, they almost did.

sweden's health system was on the verge of collapse and was about to do so but for the fact local authorities defied the government and implemented implemented local lockdownns.

the health system there had been ferrying patients to other countries to treat them as they had ran out of capacity for certain treatments.

as for brazil, it's a s//t show.

i saw his post now, i had read the last page and then went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oh ffs! removing economic protections for both employers and employees significantly increases the likelihood of many business failures, particularly amongst the sme sectors, whereby most are employed. our economies are in an extremely vulnerable situation, we have no clue whats gonna happen in the near future, in regards our economic conditions, here in ireland, and globally, removing these measures is beyond dumb, some levels of protections should remain in place, until we have confidence to do so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are government ministers with family and friends who are immune compromised.

However, those government ministers have to look at the wider picture and not at just the immunocompromised.

People die on building sites every year, should we stop building houses and let more people die from homelessness?

If we impose a forever lockdown to protect the immunocompromised, then we would end up with greater deaths from suicide from the vulnerable. The government has had to balance all of this in unprecedented times, and largely has done a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

I think the OP would personally be better off the sooner the virus sweeps through the general population. Then the OP could rejoin society at a lower risk when the virus settles to endemic transmission levels. OP may have to wear mask on a permanent basis in indoor settings and should familiarise themselves on the available therapeutics - monoclonal antibodies would be one to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

This question of whether or not to start opening back up, would not even be a question if we were living in one of these over populated impoverished countries. (India, Brazil etc)

These countries never really had the option of locking everyone in their homes and giving them a PUP payment. And their hospitals were always going to be easily over run from the get-go. They just had to mitigate the spread as best as possible, and learn to struggle on with their lives. Like human beings always have.

But eventually we all have to do the same thing anyway, because this is not going away any time soon.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

If we did explain all the deaths in nursing homes. They were preventable.

I have no problem with a small queue but a 2 hour queue half way down Harcourt Street is a different kettle of fish.

I am a he not a she.

I know my own health as does my medical health team.

Sadly anything that exists is still on trial and who knows when it will be available in Ireland.

I was more thinking along the lines of people not observing social distancing and mask wearing measures, rather than the size of the queue or times spent waiting in it, let alone when they actually get indoors at some point, as those are the kinds of situations where people in your circumstances are actually at considerable risk and would be advised to avoid, or situations like crowded shopping centres, where there would be a higher volume of traffic and increased risk of being exposed to infection. Being immunocompromised places you at far greater risk than most people of all sorts of infections besides just Covid, and it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to adopt the kinds of measures I know are necessary in order to avoid infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are confabulating a health system collapse with that of a nation state. The term exageration is vastly inadequate. As I said; hand wringers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

The people of Ireland have had multiple lockdowns. All of which I supported and I was against the reopening towards Christmas last year. We have done our deed to make sure as many people as possible didn't get the virus. Now we have a vaccine and everyone who wants it should have taken it, we need to reopen and reopen as fast as possible.

Sorry but a small minority will have to stay under restrictions but we cannot continue locking down an entire country to cater for the few. Sounds harsh but has to be the way. People all over Ireland have health issues not related to covid but have to lockdown, we don't shut down Ireland for them, or prior to covid wear a mask for them.

Not sure why the discussion is about coppers, plenty of times before the lockdown you had crazy queues to get into the spot and it wasn't big news. You want to see the queues when Dublin won a match or back when the famous "see you in coppers" comment, the next week it was 2 hours or more. Young people want to go out and stay out late, Coppers love or hate it is one of the best places in Dublin to do that

Advertisement