Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,683 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Awful spectacle , Awful performance by Wlad (never figured it out or tried anything different ) , Brilliant performance by Fury ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

This is a Joshua who fought off the back foot against Carlos Takam of all people. I really can't fathom why anyone would think he'd come out like some slugger against Usyk. There's a misconception about what kind of fighter he is maybe. He's not been that kind of fighter since British level really and for good reason.

Resorted to it in a moment of madness against Wlad, gassed out a round later, got dropped and was extremely lucky that Wlad let him off the hook.

Showed no respect to Andy Ruiz and let his hands go recklessly and got beat up as a result. Ruiz is not a puncher either.

He's not beating a guy of Usyk's class no matter what the tactics. Maybe he gives himself the slimmest of chances by trying to take him out in the first couple of rounds but I'd be extremely confident it'd be Joshua that ends up getting stopped in that scenario. Doesn’t have quick enough feet to walk Usyk down, and has never in his career shown the ability to grapple or lean on an opponent inside like Fury does for example. Usyk would keep turning him and pick him apart before Joshua gases out. I said before the fight that Joshua couldn't pin Joseph Parker down, good luck trying to pin Usyk down.

There's just a solid level or two between them realistically but for Joshua to win rounds, be largely competitive and to go the distance with someone of the class of a Usyk was impressive to me anyway.

Was awful looking alright but extremely effective by Fury.

Funny how Wlad had no issue pulling the trigger against a perceived bigger puncher than Fury in Joshua soon after though.

Good footwork can often spook someone far more than big power.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Wlad pulled the trigger (punch count) as much, or at least quite close in 2015 as 2017

Doesn't have to be a slugger ,he is more than capable of being more aggressive & assertive & critically have more intensity ,

He caught Usyk several times with big shot's but then stood off, He simply had to let his hands go more when that happened, No one is talking about being reckless,

He will 100% come into the next fight heavier & more assertive & with more intensity , He may not win but he will have a better chance of winning ,

As you correctly pointed out he had no chance to outbox him like he tried ,

Usyk is great & performed well, but you only have to look at his face to see AJ had joy he just never put the foot down & followed up

AJ had a stinker on Saturday he really did, He can 100% perform better but will it be enough to win probably not

I agree Usyk is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Well that was certainly a commanding performance from Usyk and he silenced the doubters emphatically. From the off his movement was superior and his vast experience shone through. Usyk did reference Haye's win over Valuev beforehand and the same happened here as he was able to outmove Joshua and ultimately outbox him. The first rounds set the tone as Usyk stood his ground and was aggressive to the head and body and then as it went on Joshua's stamina was suspect and he had too much ground to make up. The last seconds of the fight Usyk was trying to get him out of there! As mentioned his corner didnt help and honestly think he needs to switch to an American trainer.

Its the right thing to do to go straight into the rematch as per the contract but like Fury Wilder 3 cant see any difference in the result. Gulf was there for all to see.

Thought the crowd did the home town fighter no favours. Lots of rounds fought in silence when maybe getting behind him might have helped.

Lastly good to see the respect between these two likeable fighters.

With commitment though as you'd say yourself?

Wlad threw double the power punches against Joshua than he did v Fury.

Pretty much everything said here

And yes, no need for a slugger approach. Simple: quit the tip tapping BS and give it a fooking go. If you lose, so be it, but at least you gave it a go.

Anyone looking at AJs showing the other night and not seeing clear issues/areas that need addressing, I don't know what to say here...!

Yes....agreed..

But different opponents and styles and sizes etc can lead to different approaches etc. I wouldn't get bogged down over-analyzing here..

Fury won. The spectacle for me was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Haha, i like whyte, no filter, he is what he is, he was always on about aj being manufactured and behind it all ajs not a nice guy. Hard not to like whyte.

• Advertisement

I hope the rematch happens then just so Joshua can come out gun-ho and get beat even more emphatically.

You know you’re in trouble when you’re relying on a game plan you simply won't be able to properly implement.

Derek Chisora pulled the wool over a lot of eyes!

Yeah was poor to watch, fury didnt land any major amount clean, but landed alot more than a scared wlad.

He doesn't have to be gung ho at all. He simply needs more spite and passion and commitment on his offense. That doesn't mean reckless, gung ho or any other risky type approach.

Also, huge change mentality and approach on his clinching and in-close work. That was absolutely stinkingly poor from him.

Chisora didn't pull the wool over my eyes, (not saying you mean me) as I referenced several times how he is a completely different style, and how his style would likely always cause Usyk issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think a fight against Whyte would sell pretty well in the UK and would be less risky than the rematch.

Just opens up two of his biggest flaws in his chin and his gas tank to be exposed further by an elite fighter.

Could micro-analyse it forever but whichever approach he takes he's not beating Usyk. He's just not good enough, that's it.

Still a KO risk, and he already KO'd Whyte. Please, spare us....

I see no real benefit in wasting time with this type fight. Happens when? Spring to summer 2022? Then another 6-9 months at least to a Usyk rematch?

Wilder/Fury or Usyk next is the best for AJ and the best for us

Yes, but if he charged you with training him for the rematch, would you offer no change, and juts tell him he is not good enough?

Surely you can spot/see areas where he can improve, and give himself a better chance in a rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Just thinking here lads would someone like Lennox Lewis not be a good option to come in and show Joshua how to box like a big man?

I know Joshua is not in Lewis's league ability wise but surely he could teach him a few things and get him mentally tougher and maybe improve him a bit the same way Manny Stewart improved Lewis.

Well if I was advising him I'd have advised him to drop the belt instead of fighting Usyk in the first place. I'd now be steering clear of the rematch tbh.

It's an impossible job for a trainer trying to implement a tactic that a fighter won't be able to pull off. I'm not sure if Joshua can really improve much on that performance to be honest. In the situation with the fight being in London with Howard Foster judging etc I don't really have any issue with the tactics. Probably gave him his best chance to win.

Either way though, if there's a rematch he's getting beat again.

It really would be terrible for his legacy to dodge fights, it would have been blatantly obvious and he would never leave it down, do the -rematch, get bet again, just acknowledge how good usyk is and move on, reckon usyk wont stay too long, talks about family alot. He has done it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

john fury is a boxing man but tyson doesnt listen to him as much as john likes to make out, john told him not to fight wilder the first time and told him he would end up in hospital or worse and refused to speak to him for months, and as for ben leaving that was because fury wanted to add the kronk style to his camp because tyson could see that is what would beat wilder and keep ben too but ben decided not to play second fiddle.

The internet isn’t for everyone

Don't they hate each other or something ?

Mad how right now its Mannys nephew that's teaching Fury how fight like a big man & Fury he already has the boxing ability to fall back on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

he has to rematch usyk or he will start losing brands that sponsor him, what is the plan if he swerves usyk then ? just fighting for pay cheque to pay cheque like chisora

it is surely all about being world champion and if he isnt that and hes not going to fight for it against usyk then what good is he ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

drop the belt and do what though? fight fury? i suppose he makes more money but it would be a bigger beat down.

Aye he was backed into a corner and I would have lambasted him if he dropped the belt and ducked the fight but it was the obvious smart move from a career perspective. Canelo dropped his belt to duck a prime GGG but nobody mentions that anymore.

Joshua should've dropped the belt, fought in a tune-up and then cashed out against Fury for ten times the money he probably made taking a loss to Usyk.

Wouldn't surprise me if he decides to take a warm up fight instead of the rematch & hopes some else takes care of Usyk ,Very hard to duck the fight as champion but now he can say he needs one fight to get the fire back or some other bullsh*t

Losing to Usyk twice in a row could be really really damaging , he'd be completely out of titles shots for maybe 2 years depending on how the other fights go,

Guys, him and Usyk will rematch Feb/March/April 2022, and hopefully then the winner faces whomever wins Oct 9...

For me there is eff all else of real interest.....

Too much analyzing here. It' a boxing match. A rematch. Been happening for centuries. Sometimes the loser comes back and wins/loses/draws.

AJ strikes me a s a person who really wants the chance to give it another try here.

It is funny when the A-side thinks they're being clever putting an immediate rematch clause in the contract only to realise they've now backed themselves into a corner and have no way clear way out of a rematch they won't win. Should’ve just left it as a standard mandatory, taken the loss and rebuilt from elsewhere.

Who we all got in Fury v Wilder,

Wilder such a bollox to pick against just one is all he needs ,

For his talk of a death on his record i hope he gets flattened in every fight he ever has ,

• Advertisement

Hard to know where either fighters head is really at but can't pick against Fury. Think he might do it lop-sided on points this time.

Fury > Usyk >>>>Wilder >> Joshua

Advertisement