Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That's why I don't think he should/will take the immediate rematch. So much needs to be fixed and it won;t happen in 1 camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭squinn2912

So what would you suggest that he do? Step down and take some easier fights to rebuild? At that rate he’d never get Usyk again and it would forever be a question mark no matter what he’d go on to do. He could have 10 camps and it wouldn’t make him plant his feet and let his hands go. Some lads made the point that Joshua was far too relaxed during his ring walk and I tend to agree. He was at the Same craic against Wlad and all but came undone. He should have arrived last night with a stride of real purpose like a man that had bad intentions not a smiling high fiver. During rounds he was looking at big screen replays to see how he was getting caught. Clownish behaviour but yet his cornermen still let that go. The slap on the face and wake the f*ck up treatment was badly required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Yeah the looking at the replays was just odd, and asking the corner questions, he has been trying to come across as a student of the game all that bullshit, all just look silly. Usyk said his corner told him stop looking for the ko and do his job, that's what a corner is meant to do and fighter is meant to listen. Joshua has a big ego and all the media training in the world wont disguise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Joshua clearly confused about what he is supposed to be as a fighter. Still not mentally over the Ruiz loss. Either he has lost his instincts as a fighter or they are being coached out of him. I think he tried and stuck at it but he just looks very uncomfortable when the fight doesn't follow a script.

Usyk on the other hand is a master improviser. Hugely impressive performance. Never got put off by AJ's power, never got lazy. AJ was worn out mentally by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

bellew said before the fight that by round 6 he was mentally drained and that’s part of usyks skill set

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,683 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ just doesn't trust his own chin ,

As Fury said last week the best way to beat Usyk is go out there and bomb him out but it takes balls to take the risk of gassing and being caught yourself & AJ doesn't have the balls, Mental how spot on Fury was for all the nonsense he talks he is some man for breaking down fights before they happen ,

I heard people saying Hearn said he had AJ up after 8 , that's the kind of delusion you don't need around you

Bit like Lomachenko in that the constant movement & feinting looks like it has no substance to a lot of people, but for opponents who can't handle it they never get a moment to rest. RJJ kept talking about AJ not reacting to the overhand left feints but that was probably AJ just trying to maintain his own rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The way I see it going is this :

Fury wins next month

Usyk KO's AJ ( who takes the rematch as there is nowhere else to go)

Fury fights Usyk.

Its a very tough fight for Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whatever your opinion on Fury is the man knows boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,941 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its an easier fight for Fury that any of the rest of them, while i think Usyk would do ok against him i cant see past a fury victory, they have a similar enough style and fury has all the physical advantages.

• Advertisement

The lack of fire & passion is his corner is AJ own doing,

It ties in with the absolute bullshit he goes on with trying to be wise & zen like ,Its a manufactured persona he tried to create because he's boring ,

We are technical & precious with everything we do is thought out with deeper meaning ,He needed to be raw & rough way to laid back ,

Look at Fury v Wilder 2 Fury came out with purpose , aggression & passion showed Widler who was boss but while still having to be alert & clever , AJ needs to get that back ,

Usyk kind played him m he was clam & laid back & respectful all week but once the first bell went he got out and after it with a fire in his belly ,

TBH i think fury beats usyk easily, too big, can move unreal and has a gas tank that is unbelievable for somebody so big. Also as evidenced in wilder 2, not too pillow fisted as has been suggested. Fury would grapple/lean and smother usyk as well as jabbing from distance, awful match up for usyk.

Fury came with all that against probably the hardest hitting heavyweight of all time, you cant teach bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. AJ is no spring chicken. He was the HW champion of the world. He fights every 9-12 months as it is, and time is not on his or Usyk's side

Pointless waiting here, and pointless feeding him 1-2 journeymen. It's not rocket science. He needs to get the rematch and simply give it a far better stab. How he does this is up to him and his team. It shouldn't take too much brains to figure out what he needs to do, compared to what he didn't do the other night.

He's not pillow fisted, but not heavy handed either. Wilder was still standing and lucid at the stoppage. This will give Wilder a lot of hope Oct 9

Ref Usyk-Fury.....Yes, I think style wise Fury is the worst style for Usyk. He's very big, strong, heavy, and a boxer/mover.

I was listing to Roy Jones & he was saying something similar, That Fury has the best assets to deal with Usyk ,

Its crazy because Wilder is still a massive threat to all the top guys, Simply because they all take shots & he just needs to hit you once ,

He is the worst boxer of the 3 by a mile but nobody would be surprised at all if he hit any f the other heavy weight & ended the fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Think since joining sugar hill hes planting the feet more when delivering power shots, the thump that knocked wilder on the side of the head had some bang of it on the replays. TBH i think that and the body shot that floored wilder was a surprise to wilder, the stoppage ,fury was missing not connecting that clean i thought at that moment.

Still think he is hitting harder since leaving peter fury.BUt wilder does have that 1 shot hope always.

What you say makes sense & fighting sense but and its a big but what makes financial sense ,

Eddie Hearn just signed him up to a lift time deal if he loses the rematch the gravy train will take a massive hit,

I wonder will they try to talk him into going to beat someone like a Whyte before going for the re-match, Just to get the most cash possible or in normal Hearn style match him with Wilder if Fury beats Wilder ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Absolutely agree with this. Enact the rematch and give it everything. Stop thinking he’s Ali so a robe change would do no harm either. Be deadly serious and mean and ill tempered in the build up and let Usyk know he’s gonna face bombs. Get the combos off, especially the 1-2 down the pipe you’ve alluded to - virtually no risk with this just be smart avoiding left hook. His Usyk in the body A LOT and by round 5-6 good chance to get a decent shot off. He went about it all wrong. No analysis really needed from him.

• Advertisement

Question is if he's still adaptable. For me it's a bit like the change of mindset Wlad went through. You're the bigger man, why take risks? Why walk into something? Let the other guy do the work, let him take risks. Thing is Wlad's horrible clinching made that work whereas AJ still gives the ref an easy night's work.

Changing the strategy with the trainer is all well and good, but it all depends on whether or not he mentally has the ability to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think there's far too much micro- analysing of Joshua going on everywhere tbh. Genuinely think that was probably the performance of his career.

No shame in coming up short against probably the best fighter in the world. Was more impressed with him being competitive against an elite fighter in his prime in Usyk than any overmatched opponent he's easily beat in the past.

Joshua was really good, Usyk was great. It is what it is.

Anyone now who AJ had in sparring with him ?

I love the story that Wlad wouldn't let Usyk spar him during media days, he would give Usyk the day off as he was making Wlad look bad,

No, they'll take the rematch. The gravy train is quite chuggish now. It's has been derailed twice.....

I mean, AJ is a very wealthy man as it is. The rematch will sell big. Why waste time risking another fight against anyone else, unless it is Wilder or Fury.

The rest of them are nobodies really.

I think there is a lot to talk about wit this one, Aj wasn't really good at all on Saturday , He was poor,

AJ leave us with lots of question , he himself said they changed alot for this fight,

Why slim down so much, Why try to box , Why not rough him up , why not use your strength , Why did his corner keep saying he was doing great ,

I know he can be a absolute melt at times but Fury is lucky to have his Dad around calls it straight & never afraid to tell Tyson what he thinks

He main reason he got rid of even Davison & got Sugar onboard, Even recently telling him he has to many yes men in the states & to get back to Morcambe to put the real work in ,Aj could do with someone who isn't there to just gas him up

I just can't agree with this. AJ was far from really good. I have watched enough of him, and everything about him the other night was poorer than I have ever seen. I think you are overrating Usyk more than anyone underrating AJ in this fight.

Usyk himself is probably surprised at how easy the fight was against the clearly bigger man

Maybe you watched something different to me, but could you not see AJ was kind of in a daze, and going through the motions? And Usyk wasn't all to blame here.

90 percent his punches had next to no spite or commitment on them. In the clinch he was terrified. He never once really went for it with gusto. I was sitting watching wondering wtf was happening, and was AJ going to actually start trying to win.

Not sure how it can be seen a a very good AJ showing

AJ wasn't poor at all. He was competitive against an elite fighter. I suppose some of it depends on how highly you rate Usyk too. Going in I expected Usyk to win by stoppage. I was impressed that Joshua boxed 12 competitive rounds at that high a level (even though he lost the fight itself clear).

If Joshua hadn't slimmed down so much I'd think he'd have been stopped late. Probably was the difference in his gas tank holding up or him getting stopped so I can completely see why he did that.

Trying to box may well have gave him the best chance of winning. He's not Derek Chisora and he never will be. He doesn't have the engine to stick to a fighters chest and make the ring small. Never has done.

The tactic was definitely to survive 12, be semi competitive and hope they steal it on the cards. Hence the corner screaming "brilliant" at any small bit of success to try to influence the judging. These are the sort of tactics you have to resort to when facing elite opposition.

They never wanted to fight Usyk hence why they tried so desperately to make the Fury fight last year and to cash out there and then. I was shocked they didn't vacate the belt tbh but obviously Joshua had too much pride to do that so fair dues I suppose.

This reminds me of you saying Fury's performance against Wlad was awful too.

The reason Joshua and Wlad lost those two fights was because of the calibre of the opponent in front of them not that they magically lost their ability to pull the trigger and commit to their punches.

Try throwing the kitchen sink at a slick, feinting southpaw that's over 200 pounds and will make you pay for your mistakes. Both Joshua and Gassiev couldn't do it against Usyk. It's not some sort of weird coincidence. It's because Usyk is elite and a level above both of them.

I didn't say he was poor i said he wasn't really good and he wasn't ,

Usyk performed brilliantly but AJ has to show & give more than that, His tactics and game plan where all wrong slim down to box the boxer ,

He had to go out early & show Usyk who the big man was, As Roy Jones put it you got to show him its your block & your the big dog , once you let Usyk get's a flying start your in trouble,

Fury & Roy before both said AJ has to go put it on him early & both are correct, It was just all wrong tactically , Aj knows this himself hence why he was so adamant he wants the rematch, He knows the approached it wrong ,

I had to laugh at Whyte saying AJs a "weirdo " for fighting like that , never the most elegant with his word ,

• Advertisement

Fury and Wlad put on an awful looking HW spectacle IMO. I think a few people would agree here.

AJ for me was very poor the other night..

Advertisement