Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A massive Pork Chop with Golden Wonder new potatoes and Sweetcorn.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Smoked coley with lentils and kale last night (with obligatory hot sauce).

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I love lamb but the only cuts I bother with are leg and the rack.

Everything else is just a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah I'd agree with you here, love lamb, love ribs, so when I seen lamb ribs thought onto a winner here. But won't be repeating that mistake again. Anyone tried beef ribs? Or should I just stick to the tried and tested baby back ribs I've been cooking for years?

Beef short ribs are ok but they're not like pork ribs, they're not really finger food IMO, they're more like an alternative to a roasting joint. I am not a huge fan.

Much fattier than pork ribs.

Restaurants will do them with mash and gravy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Beef ribs are fantastic but theyre a sit down sort of thing, knife and fork.

This recipe is a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Your pic and description are at odds with each other, to my view.

I think they look delicious and meaty!

They look fairly fatty and grisly to me, at least half of every rib looks like something I wouldn't eat.

But maybe I am fairly picky when it comes to this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

As much as I like the taste of the meats, Lamb and Duck almost always disappoint when ordered out in restaurants. You end up picking through a pile of fat and grizzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

@Gloomtastic! where did you get golden wonders? not out anywhere in south east. Thanks

• Advertisement

Friend grew them. He also told me to boil and then bake them but I just boiled them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

thanks! can't wait for them to come back in, perfect boiled in their skins 🙂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I squeezed a couple of Mandarins, veg from garden and a present of a bottle of wine from work......for services rendered 😂😮😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Asian glazed salmon with broccolini and lime rice. It's a keeper.

Potato, squash and broccoli curry. Really nice, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

salmon is fab when glazed/marinated isn't it? I use a cajun paste from time to time - delish and v filling

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/smoked_haddock_risotto_00466

I’ve probably posted this before but it is really good. I used smoked cod and coley from Aldi cos they didn’t have haddock.

Leeks instead of onion

I also added a big tin of sweetcorn but it could take any roasted vegetable. Added lots of fresh parsley. Kids wolfed it. It was really good. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭jack747

Chicken stew in the slow cooker , was very tasty of a monday. Leeks , carrots , thyme and potatoes. Went heavy though with the parsley from my Ma’s greenhouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Poached salmon, spinach and spaghetti.

Chunky chilli con carne with colcannon-mash (redundant?). Pure comfort food. First time doing a chilli with chunks of beef and oxtail instead of the usual pork/beef mince mixture and I have to say I really like it.

Yellow courgette and pea risotto with a chicken breast my ma dropped over as it was going to go off otherwise. I'm trying to be veg centric, damnit. Still, worked out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had a bottom of the fridge type of dinner. I had some veg that needed using up, things like two half peppers, a broccoli stem, a wrinkly old carrot, so I made a vegetable and orzo stew with a side of fresh garlic bread

• Advertisement

Where do you buy the orzo Shenshen?

Remember when I said "bottom of the fridge"? It was also "back of the cupboard", the orzo had been there for a good few years. From the packaging, I think it was bought during a Greek specials week in Lidl.

Supervalue also do a Rumno brand orzo, at least our one does. Suspect most will have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I made a vegetarian pizza this evening.

I don't care what anyone says but making pizza from scratch is much tastier than getting one from the take away.

To thine own self be true

Looks great, Dave!

I bought some stewing beef from Dunnes yesterday, and I have a Rendang paste from Malay Kitchen... Where do you get oxtail from? Is it boney or hard to work with? Any tips?

That pizza looks delicious PM.

They have some on sale at the local butchers at times, same for the local Super Valu, but less often. It's usually dirt cheap, luckily enough. I just seared mine and tossed it in with the sauce and some stewing beef too. Let it go low for about nine hours. Comes right off the bone, no messing around.

Using up the various beets and carrots from the veg delivery, roasted the carrots and most of the beets. Some pretentious thin slices of beetroot pickled like you see in those "flavours of beetroot" w*nkfests, but it was actually really tasty. Some feta from last week and mandarin pieces and a balsamic honey dressing. There is actually some green under there to offset all the orange colours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moroccan beef stew, it was spicy and sweet 😋

• Advertisement

Orange tofu with broccoli and fried rice, topped with peanut, sesame and chili oil. I'm now thinking I need another wok - this would be easier to do with two 😂

Creamy mushroom and bacon pasta. Deliciously unhealthy.

Aha Dave... I have been meaning to make this for a while. Creamy mushroom and bacon (and/or chicken) is also good with rice, and can be nudged in different directions with herbs, etc.

I have sherry vinegar and Marsala wine on my shopping list, which might be good with this. Tarragon is a divisive herb, but I would definitely pair it with this too. 👌

Yeah in retrospect, I should have done rice.

Chicken Biryani.

Picture doesn't do it justice but it went down a storm!

Tried it before but not as hands on as above video. Things like Aloo Bukhara(dried plums) which he insists on using. I didn't use the 6 green whole chilis or the amount of child powder as in recipe (Not hard enough😫) but I'll be making it again for sure. Lovely warming Indian dish. Full of whole spices.....I followed it to the T, bar the chilis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Ate like kings tonight...

Starters: seafood croustillant & crab claws

Mains: John Dory & Monkfish

Dessert: Ice-cream... because that's all we could handle after the other courses!

Oh and no, I did not cook any of this :P

• Advertisement

^ What a treat, they all look fantastic!

We tried Turkish Flatbreads with Mince, Herbs and Spice tonight for the first time. It was wolfed down so will be going on the regular list. I also added pomegranates because we had some here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/turkish_flatbread_with_70825

Prawn risotto with a fillet of pan fried cod.

Twas amazing.

Strip loin Steaks with Creamy Mash, Sweetcorn, Garlic Mushrooms, Caramelised Onions and Salad.

It's getting colder, and I'm craving warming comfort food. Here's the bean stew/goulash with mash we had on Saturday

Pork, cabbage and mushroom noodles. Could have done with some nuts, but still, not bad at all.

Did wings and weird brocolli there a week or so ago as well. Mic's chilli sauce worked very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had sausages, chips and a fried egg tonight. Hit the spot.

Spicy stir-fried noodles and fried eggs. It's simple, quick, moderately healthy due to the amount of veg I throw in, and very, very tasty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken - and before the gravy gang ask, no I didn't have any gravy 😂

A roast without gravy is a criiiiiime!

We had a spicy chilli con carne, made with chunks of beef rather than mince, and black beans. Very nice.

We had pan fried pork chops, apple sauce, roasted carrots, steamed broccoli and crushed roast potatoes with gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm not so sure. I love gravy and it was an essential with roast growing up to give some flavor with over cooked dried out meat and veg boiled till it was mush . With a nice well cooked and seasoned piece of meat and veg I like to taste them.

Certain foods it's an essential! Bangers and mash with onion gravy is a favorite winter dinner.

Rigatoni with sausage, onion and garlic - and a ton of cheddar and parmesan.

Bit a duck......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Leg of lamb in the rotisserie. Best leg I’ve cooked

• Advertisement
Advertisement