Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Chicken Noodle Soup. . Made with miso paste (**** me that stuff is delicious) and with some homemade szechuan chilli oil on top. One of the nicest things I've cooked in a long time, and ridiculously simple.

tqyHrew.jpg?1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I had carbonara tonight, for the first time in ages. It was delicious :)

Looks tasty! Did you make it with eggs?
    I'm scared of trying it in case I end up with scrambled egg spaghetti.

Once you've cooked the pasta, keep it off the heat and add the egg/cheese mixture. The heat off the pasta will cook the egg mixture but not actually scramble it. Add a bit of pasta water and you're golden.

(Disclaimer, I've scrambled it plenty of times)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Chicken Noodle Soup. . Made with miso paste (**** me that stuff is delicious) and with some homemade szechuan chilli oil on top. One of the nicest things I've cooked in a long time, and ridiculously simple.

tqyHrew.jpg?1

That looks so good. Have you a recipe please?

Edit, I see the link now.

Recliner wrote: »
    That looks so good. Have you a recipe please?

Edit, I see the link now.

If you try it, I recommend adding more mushroom and sweetcorn (and maybe about 80g of noodles, as opposed to 50g). I put in more than the recipe recommended of those two ingredients and I still felt it could do with a bit more. Maybe that's just me though (my gf agreed, mind you).
    If you want to make your own chilli oil (again, stupidly simple and absolutely delicious), this is the one I followed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Chicken Katsu Curry.

I used Wagamamas recipe for the sauce. I cheated with the meat and just baked chicken marylands. Boiled rice. And broccoli... with a dressing made from soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and sesame seeds - it was divine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Looks tasty! Did you make it with eggs?
    I'm scared of trying it in case I end up with scrambled egg spaghetti.

Yes I did! I used Guy Sinnott's method, he has a video on Instagram. There's a load of black pepper in it, and he puts a fair bit of the pasta water in too. It was the nicest I've ever had.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17853182210003472/?hl=en

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had nachos tonight. So good.

I usually make a cheese sauce using a roux on the stove. Tonight I made it in the microwave in about two minutes with grated cheddar, cornflour and evaporated milk. A revelation. Will never revert, and may even use this sauce for lasagna.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Chicken Katsu Curry.

I used Wagamamas recipe for the sauce. I cheated with the meat and just baked chicken marylands. Boiled rice. And broccoli... with a dressing made from soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and sesame seeds - it was divine!

Would you mind sharing the recipe you used? Looks fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

We had nachos tonight. So good.

I usually make a cheese sauce using a roux on the stove. Tonight I made it in the microwave in about two minutes with grated cheddar, cornflour and evaporated milk. A revelation. Will never revert, and may even use this sauce for lasagna.

The evaporated milk always intimidates me in recipes like this. Delia used to do one, I think. Just remember evaporated milk on tinned fruit as a child, so it seems now like sweet when it should be savoury.

• Advertisement

tangy wrote: »
    The evaporated milk always intimidates me in recipes like this. Delia used to do one, I think. Just remember evaporated milk on tinned fruit as a child, so it seems now like sweet when it should be savoury.

I'd always had the same thought.

Evaporated milk tastes like cream, it has the lactose sweetness of dairy but is not in itself sweet, and the sauce was definitely very savoury.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Would you mind sharing the recipe you used? Looks fabulous.

Thanks, can do :)

This is the recipe I used for the sauce:
    https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/wagamama-chicken-katsu-curry
    I roughly doubled everything, just so we'd be sure to have plenty for 2 of us for 2 days (we had a little too much though).

For the veg, I used this recipe:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/broccoli-peas-sesame-seeds-soy-honey
    I just left out the peas and poppy seeds. It was actually SO good. Taking something so simple and making it so tasty :) I'm going to do this a lot more as a side for oriental dishes! Practically no extra work involved.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

We had bolognese left over from Saturday last night.. I tend to make a big pot that lasts two days!

Baked Bean Burgers this evening... I bought ramekins last week in Home Store and More so I'm gonna try Chocolate Lava Cakes..

Beef madras

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Beef madras

Homemade or did you use a paste?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken casserole. Not your usual summer food, but it was such a miserable day I wanted something comforting.

20200617-191633.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks, can do :)

This is the recipe I used for the sauce:
    https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/wagamama-chicken-katsu-curry
    I roughly doubled everything, just so we'd be sure to have plenty for 2 of us for 2 days (we had a little too much though).

For the veg, I used this recipe:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/broccoli-peas-sesame-seeds-soy-honey
    I just left out the peas and poppy seeds. It was actually SO good. Taking something so simple and making it so tasty :) I'm going to do this a lot more as a side for oriental dishes! Practically no extra work involved.

I saw a recipe recently from TheDalyDish for a cheese sauce. 3 cheese singles & 30 mls of water and a dash of franks hot sauce...Thought it sounded disgusting, until I tried it. Exactly like nacho cheese sauce from the cinema or Eddie Rockets, if you like that sort of thing.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Homemade or did you use a paste?

My husband made it, and he used two tablespoons of Pataks paste in it for oomph. It was a mish mash though, and full of fresh garlic, ginger, chilli and onions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We're having a "cooking club" in our team during lockdown. Yesterday, I made 2 dishes suggested by colleagues from India and the UK, Amritsari Chole and Bhatura (fried flatbread)

czLXa8c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Wow, I bet they tasted fantastic! Fried flatbreads, yuuuum! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Nal recommended this, many thanks.

Peri Peri Chicken with Crispy Potatoes, Garlic Beans and Coriander Sauce

80685-E81-5140-4409-84-E2-E8-ADB38-FDC7-A.jpg

Told the kids it was Nando’s. They wolfed it down. :)

Definitely a keeper.

https://www.feastingathome.com/portuguese-chicken-and-potatoes/

We had sausages and chips. It was great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

We had sausages and chips. It was great. :)
    From the deep fat frier with fresh brown bread I dont think it can be beat tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thargor wrote: »
    From the deep fat frier with fresh brown bread I dont think it can be beat tbh :D

Sausages are so good from the deep fat fryer - evenly browned on all sides :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I had cornflakes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

leahyl wrote: »
    Sausages are so good from the deep fat fryer - evenly browned on all sides :-P

Nothing worse than sausages burnt on two sides and raw on the other two!

I fry them, but I roll them in my hands first to make them round, taking the squareness out of them from the packaging.

Then gently fry while rolling them around frequently. Perfectly cooked all around.

I'm a sausage enthusiast.

An unimpressive looking but nevertheless very tasty vegan (no, I'm not) fruity curry with sweet potato, chickpeas, apple and a turmeric/spiced rice.

AzhfQDq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Take 2 of sourdough pizza went much better than take 1. I used a different recipe for the dough and sauce. Next refinements: dry mozzarella and actually remembering to cook the mushrooms beforehand, get pizza stone.

Dough:
    100g starter
    375ml water
    10g salt
    500g flour

Bring together. Stretch and turn every 30mins for 2 hours. Prove on counter overnight. Flour and divide into 4 next morning. Second prove in fridge for 6 hours - 3 days. Take out an hour before using.

Sauce:
    1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
    1 tbsp tomato purée
    Pinch salt
    Fresh basil leaves, chopped

Thin, crispy, chewy, actually tasty.

We had a quick dinner tonight - leftover Bolognese sauce over jacket potatoes with cheese. Tasty af.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Pizza tonight!

Advertisement