Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Shenshen wrote: »
    Potato fritters, with tsatsiki

<Please don't quote pics>

I had some leftover veg (carrots and courgettes), so they got grated into the fritters along with the potatoes.

Ah here,they look epic.
    How did you cook the fritters??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

niallo76 wrote: »
    Ah here,they look epic.
    How did you cook the fritters??

I actually oven-baked them this time, but with quite a bit of oil on the tray. So overall I'm not sure it was that much healthier :D

They're easy enough to make : grate peeled potatoes (and in this case, also grate carrot and courgette), thinly slice 1 onion. Mix together, add 1 egg, some salt and pepper, and a few spoonfuls of flour to bind it all.
    Form into patties and pan-fry or oven-bake, until they're cooked through and browned.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

It looks great. How does the jackfruit taste, honestly? I often hear of meat substitutes being lauded as the greatest thing since sliced pan but they usually disappoint (me, anyways).

I think it really depends on the product/can. They're bit bland, but are excellent for taking on the flavour of whatever they're marinated in. Had organic ones from SuperValu that tasted amazing with BBQ sauce, and then tried a cheaper can from Tesco that tasted horrible because it was too acidic and kind of soapy from the brine.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Ryath wrote: »
    Made these tonight they were savage, genuinely one of the best burger buns I've ever had. Homemade burgers too, minced brisket done on the bbq over charcoal. Feel let down I didn't do homemade chips! :o The bread seemed a bit of a faff but I've made brioche bread plenty of times before the only extra really was the tangzhong. Technique to shape the buns was good to see. Thanks for the link

Followed this also. Thanks for the tip. The burger buns were really rich. My wife told me that there are as many eggs in this as in queen cakes!
    EwJaNfO.jpg?1

Marinated chicken breasts based on this https://www.modernhoney.com/the-best-chicken-marinade-recipe/ (with added mustard).

I took the chicken breasts from frozen, let them thaw a little in water, and then sliced them in half lengthways (so that they looked like a normal breast but much thinner). It is much easier to do this while they are still a bit frozen. I marinated for a full day in the fridge (immediately after cutting them - so from more or less frozen).

Built the burger
    - Bun
    - Guacamole
    - first (half) breast
    - lettuce
    - tomato
    - second (half) breast
    - Bun

mKSIJNZ.jpg

Made this for dessert: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-orange-cake
    Cooked the orange in the microwave with a bit of water in the bottom for about 5 minutes.
    I used half dark chocolate and half of the orange and almond chocolate from Aldi, so the bits you see in it are almond nibs.

NgvVFTy.jpg

I think that it is one of the best dinners i have had!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

Space Dog wrote: »
    They're bit bland, but are excellent for taking on the flavour of whatever they're marinated in.

Pretty much like real meat IMO.

You can make a stunning burger or sandwich with jackfruit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi have six steaks on special for €9.99. Served with Shenshen’s Potato Fritters and a Salad.

859-C2-A7-D-004-F-4-BAC-9492-B581-DCBD60-D8.jpg

Pasta Shells stuffed with a mozzarella and quark mixture with a lot of basil, sitting in tomato sauce with diced peppers and olives, and covered with grated Pecorino. Baked until it was just right. It was seriously yummy.

og1Z5SZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jalapeno marinated chicken thighs (cooked under the grill), with rice and beans and a salad.

Did the rice in the instant pot, added a nob of coconut oil just to give it flavour and some salt, then added the kidney b beans when the rice was done and mixed it well.

IMG-20200515-190111-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Salmon with mash and asparagus (and some tenderstem broccoli that we had almost forgotten about)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Tacos today, mexican food is so tastey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very good Dan. Did you make your own wraps?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Very good Dan. Did you make your own wraps?!

I did! Surprisingly easy and rewarding!
    Flour, oil, salt and water

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tacos today, mexican food is so tastey

I love the 4th pic.
    Do you have a recipe for your salsa?
    Well..........
    Snap. Here you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Slow cooked beef chilli made with homemade chipotle sauce on top of a baked potato w/salsa,cheese and sour cream.
    Divine

Forgive the writing..i put it on instagram it was just so beautiful :D

I did! Surprisingly easy and rewarding!
    Flour, oil, salt and water

Brilliant, must try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Tapas tonight, chorizo al vino, lemon garlic chicken, roasted veg, calamari, patatas bravas, jambon croquettes and paella.

513403.jpg

Butterflyed leg of lamb done on the gas grill/bbq. Tomato herb salsa. Lentils. Young pine shoots

42e7.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Aldi butter chicken jar of sauce with chicken and lots of veg added. It was quite nice.

20200519-185508.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Butterflyed leg of lamb done on the gas grill/bbq. Tomato herb salsa. Lentils. Young pine shoots

Young pine shoots? Tell us more please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Pine shoots do sound intriguing. What on earth do they taste like? Are they fruits of the forage or bought?
    It looks great. How does the jackfruit taste, honestly? I often hear of meat substitutes being lauded as the greatest thing since sliced pan but they usually disappoint (me, anyways).

I'll be honest and say it doesn't taste of a whole lot. But with the BBQ sauce, coleslaw, pickle and all the rest it's not bad at all.

It works well as shredded duck when mixed with hoisin sauce too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I made deep fried home made chips for the first time in years about a week ago. They were a little hard because I didn’t parboil them for long enough. Take two last night. Goddamn, they were good. Deep fried chips are a rare treat but SO worth it. I also deep fried the sossies. If you’re going to do something wrong, do it right. :D What makes deep-fried sausages so good? Way nicer than shallow-fried. The eggs were of course not deep-fried. :P I was a bit terrified of the hot oil but I’ve realised it’s not as scary as I thought. The oil shouldn’t get anywhere ignition point if you’re doing it right.

A0287-F0-C-D64-E-415-D-BBDE-EECBD3-A997-B7.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fry up with tea, chips and brown bread is probably still my all time favourite meal, only the mother does it right though, I've never even owned a deep fat frier

Young pine shoots? Tell us more please! :)
    Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Pine shoots do sound intriguing. What on earth do they taste like? Are they fruits of the forage or bought?

They're foraged - Mrs. Beer's idea!
    Basically they're the young, new growth on the ends of the branches of pine trees - I believe any variety of pine is edible. You'll see the young, green shoots against the darker green branches.

I just tossed them in hot pan for half a minute. They're kind of citrusy. Not very piney, although, they were much more intense the day after they were cooked.
    Going to get some more and try salting them - see what happens.
    And will try steeping some in gin, too.

Ive been steeping in gin for about two months now.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ive been steeping in gin for about two months now.

Gin Rickys FTW:D

They're foraged - Mrs. Beer's idea!
    Basically they're the young, new growth on the ends of the branches of pine trees - I believe any variety of pine is edible. You'll see the young, green shoots against the darker green branches.

I just tossed them in hot pan for half a minute. They're kind of citrusy. Not very piney, although, they were much more intense the day after they were cooked.
    Going to get some more and try salting them - see what happens.
    And will try steeping some in gin, too.

My grandmother told me once that they used to use these in Germany to make "Pine honey", during the war and lean times. It was essentially just picking them, boiling them in syrup and leaving them to infuse in the syrup in sealed jars for a few weeks. I remember I meant to try it when she told me, but I never got round to it.
    Now I'm thinking maybe I will... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Thargor wrote: »
    Fry up with tea, chips and brown bread is probably still my all time favourite meal, only the mother does it right though, I've never even owned a deep fat frier

I don’t have one either. I just used a normal saucepan.

Meatballs in tomato sauce w/ spaghetti

20200521-184115.jpg

20200521-182034.jpg

20200521-185401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Not the best picture but new season lamb chops with the first new potatoes I’ve seen this year and garden pets, delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

garden pets, delicious.

Noooooooo not the pets :eek:

Advertisement